PDA

View Full Version : Preview: Five Reasons To Not Overlook Bucs

patmoran2006
09-18-2009, 11:40 AM
The Buffalo Bills aren’t stupid. They paid attention to the rumblings all last week. They were going to get pasted by the Patriots last Monday. New England simply owns the Bills and they had no business sharing the same field. ESPN went so far to give the Pats, and Jesus Tom Brady in particular, a pre-game coronation show in the two hours leading to kickoff. If you’re a Bills fan and anticipated anything less than the typical Foxboro disaster, you’re likely delusional or tipped a few too many beverages beforehand.
But a funny thing occurred on their way to walking out the tunnel and getting blown out. The Bills got angry. They heard all the things written and said about them for weeks, and they took it to the field with them.
READ MORE (http://www.buffalosportsdaily.com/2009/09/preview-five-reasons-to-not-overlook-the-bucs/#more-2354)

SABURZFAN
09-18-2009, 11:45 AM
[SIZE=2][I]The Buffalo Bills aren’t stupid. They paid attention to the rumblings all last week. They were going to get pasted by the Patriots last Monday.

i'm sure Whitner told everybody in the lockerroom.

patmoran2006
09-18-2009, 12:09 PM
heh.

FlyingDutchman
09-18-2009, 12:17 PM
why would they overlook anyone?

Forward_Lateral
09-18-2009, 12:22 PM
You wanna stop the run, Buffalo? Get ahead early. And by ahead I mean 14-0 or better.

billsburgh
09-18-2009, 12:26 PM
You wanna stop the run, Buffalo? Get ahead early. And by ahead I mean 14-0 or better.
in that case, they cant stop the pass either.

Forward_Lateral
09-18-2009, 12:31 PM
in that case, they cant stop the pass either.

Any idiot would rather take their chances stopping Tampa's less than stellar, Bryant less, passing attack than their 4-headed running attack.

patmoran2006
09-18-2009, 12:36 PM
Wanting to stop the run, and stopping it are two different things.

Tampa can run the ball.

SABURZFAN
09-18-2009, 12:56 PM

watching the way the Bills played the last 5 1/2 minutes of the last game, they could easily blow a 44 point halftime lead.

psubills62
09-18-2009, 12:58 PM

Tampa can run the ball.

Going beyond the stats, there was one thing that really made me believe we'll have a decent run defense this year. There was several times when the Patriots lined up with 6 offensive linemen, plus a TE or two on the LOS and ran the ball. On almost all of those plays, I saw several Buffalo players get penetration into the backfield to create a loss or a very short gain on the play.

Tampa can indeed run the ball. I think it will be a better matchup than people think and I'm hoping we can duplicate the run success this Sunday even without Posluszny.

justasportsfan
09-18-2009, 12:59 PM
you never overlook ANYONE. I beleive when BB talks up his opponents every week he actually beleives what he's saying . That way you practice well and you play hard.

Scumbag College
09-18-2009, 04:16 PM
I miss the days when the Bills were good enough to overlook teams.

Mr. Pink
09-18-2009, 04:42 PM
Reasons to not overlook the Bucs...

They put up 450+ yards against the Boys.

170 of that or so was on the ground.

Leftwich is a good caretaker and doesn't make a lot of mistakes.

No Poz.

A hobbled McGee, remember last time he was hobbled? Ted Ginn Jr does.

KII - as evidenced by what Ben Watson did, we still don't like covering tight ends.

HughC
09-19-2009, 09:27 AM
Reasons to not overlook the Bucs...

They put up 450+ yards against the Boys.

170 of that or so was on the ground.

Leftwich is a good caretaker and doesn't make a lot of mistakes.

No Poz.

A hobbled McGee, remember last time he was hobbled? Ted Ginn Jr does.

KII - as evidenced by what Ben Watson did, we still don't like covering tight ends.
All good points. A couple other things to consider as well:

Much of Dallas' scoring was on three long plays that were either Tampa Bay defensive backs taking bad angles or mis-communication with coverage. That's something a team should be able to correct. In other words the game was closer than the final score would indicate it to be.

The Bills are coming off a Monday night game, meaning Tampa Bay has one more day for their coaches to prepare, and one more days for players who were dinged up to heal. That probably means a lot more later in the season, but it's still worth considering.

Lastly is the emotional factor. Even though these are professionals who should be mentally prepared for every game, they're still human and the intensity can vary game to game. Playing a division rival in primetime, the intensity level was very high Monday night. Even if the team doesn't look past Tampa Bay, a letdown is almost inevitable; the key is to keep it to a minimum.

Regardless, the Bills should win this game. Get a lead and force them in to passing situations. Who are they going to throw to with Bryant out of the game, other than Winslow?

HHURRICANE
09-19-2009, 10:16 AM
Nice article except that it was posted two days after my thread that said the same thing:

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=179626

Typ0
09-19-2009, 12:05 PM
Bills played their best game in a lot of areas last week. They won't keep up that intensity. I hope they can win but fear we are in for a letdown. We don't match up well with TB and they are desparate.

psubills62
09-19-2009, 12:26 PM
Bills played their best game in a lot of areas last week. They won't keep up that intensity. I hope they can win but fear we are in for a letdown. We don't match up well with TB and they are desparate.

Haha are you serious?

The Bills stunk in some areas. Key drops on 3rd downs. Heck, they were 0-4 on 3rd downs at one point. How do you know they weren't just better than people thought and it's something that they will maintain throughout the season?

So...TB is desperate, which makes them suddenly better than the Bills? I'm sorry, but Buffalo does match up pretty well. Our CB's match up very well to their WR's. Our WR's match up very well to their secondary. We ran it well against NE, TB didn't defend the run well. TB ran it well, but we defended the run well. How do we not match up well with them? I guess desperation suddenly makes up for lack of talent, huh?

hydro
09-19-2009, 12:48 PM
Nice article except that it was posted two days after my thread that said the same thing:

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=179626

Yeah your right. His whole article is word for word the same as yours :rolleyes:

cookie G
09-19-2009, 01:05 PM

Tampa can run the ball.

When I saw Cadillac Williams play in the preseason, he looked really good. Not only was his speed back, but his lateral movement was back.

The other reason they can run is their O-line. They invested early and often in the last few years.

Davin Joseph in the first in 2006 (a very underrated player)
Trueblood in the second;
Zuttah in the 3rd in 08;
a very good FA pick up in Jeff Faine.

I don't know enough about Donald Penn.

Davin Joseph vs. Stroud should really be a good match up to watch.

As far as Ellison getting abused...it was a mismatch to begin with, and it will be a mismatch this week. In a 20 yard race between a 4.8 linebacker and a 4.5 or 4.6 TE, I'll put my money on the TE.

You've got 2 safeties hanging back in a zone, I'd suggest Perry Fewell figure a way to have one get over to Winslow on a deep seam.

Typ0
09-20-2009, 10:09 AM
We don't match up well because they are/will be one of the better running teams in the league. It's going to come down to their getting a passing game going. It's an NFL team to not believe they can throw the ball despite having a bad week is being blind.

We should go up and down the field on their defense but they have chances to torch our defense. When was the last time our offense scored 3 TDs? We're going to have to wait and see what happens.

Haha are you serious?

The Bills stunk in some areas. Key drops on 3rd downs. Heck, they were 0-4 on 3rd downs at one point. How do you know they weren't just better than people thought and it's something that they will maintain throughout the season?

So...TB is desperate, which makes them suddenly better than the Bills? I'm sorry, but Buffalo does match up pretty well. Our CB's match up very well to their WR's. Our WR's match up very well to their secondary. We ran it well against NE, TB didn't defend the run well. TB ran it well, but we defended the run well. How do we not match up well with them? I guess desperation suddenly makes up for lack of talent, huh?

Typ0
09-20-2009, 10:12 AM
Oh, I forgot to mention the no huddle factor. There is going to be times it kills us and a good running team has a chance to make that happen. If they don't turn the ball over they can lopside TOP and get a chance to win. Sorry, it's true.

Haha are you serious?

HHURRICANE
09-20-2009, 10:25 AM
Yeah your right. His whole article is word for word the same as yours :rolleyes:

I can't help it that I provide inspiration on this site.