View Full Version : Jon Runyan

T-Long
09-20-2009, 05:04 PM
[Comment From Terry]

Jon Runyan a Bill by Tuesday?

6:04 Chris Brown: Interesting question.

Canadian'eh!
09-20-2009, 05:07 PM
Chris Briwn... "they don't tell me anything" nice.

Tatonka
09-20-2009, 05:33 PM
i dont know about runyan, but schouman is definately done for the year.

T-Long
09-20-2009, 05:37 PM
They are just going to activate Stupar from practice squad

Mr. Miyagi
09-20-2009, 05:43 PM
With Butler injured, it's time to fork up the dough for Runyun.

Canadian'eh!
09-20-2009, 05:58 PM
I bet we sign one of those TE's (probably Pope) AND Runyan this weel

ddaryl
09-20-2009, 06:52 PM
i dont know about runyan, but schouman is definately done for the year.

He was on the field and in tears, you could tell . He was having a career day and it ended for him just like that..

I was pissed, because he came alive and looked like the TE we've been missing

Mitchell55
09-20-2009, 06:53 PM
Runyan and Pope would be great. Scott did well though.

cpearl
09-20-2009, 07:25 PM
Pope is terrible. Don't you think there's a reason he doesn't have a team?

Don't Panic
09-20-2009, 07:27 PM
Interesting answer, Brownie... thanks for the insight!

Runyan was the first person that popped in my head when Butler went down. Obviously we have to see how bad the Butler injury is, but he would be a great add if he's willing, even though he isn't a perfect fit for what we're trying to do.

mysticsoto
09-20-2009, 08:01 PM
Runyan and Pope would be great. Scott did well though.

Agreed. He allowed one sack, but other than that, was decently solid. I'm glad we kept the guy. That being said, there's no one after him and if Butler is going to be out for an extended period, it'll make sense to bring Runyan in. Hell, they may even need to think about asking Walker back.

HHURRICANE
09-20-2009, 08:04 PM
[Comment From Terry]

Jon Runyan a Bill by Tuesday?

6:04 Chris Brown: Interesting question.

Why not Walker??

SpillerThrills
09-20-2009, 08:08 PM
but schouman is definately done for the year.

I have a good feeling that your right.... having blown out my knee last year I could just see it wasn't just a minor injury when they showed the replay. first thing out of my mouth when he grabbed his knee was "oh *****!"

Ebenezer
09-20-2009, 08:10 PM
It was a MASH unit out there...and Scott didn't look terribly impressive...

HHURRICANE
09-20-2009, 08:11 PM
One more time. Why wouldn'y you re-sign Walker? He can play RT.

yordad
09-20-2009, 08:36 PM
I thought Scott looked pretty good on the plays I watched him. I don't think that sack was all his fault, that ball should have been gone.

Ebenezer
09-20-2009, 08:46 PM
One more time. Why wouldn'y you re-sign Walker? He can play RT.
I would have called him 10 seconds after Butler's CT scan.

WeAreArthurMoates
09-20-2009, 09:03 PM
Scott played much better than I thought and that sack was def on Trent, not him. Trent has to get that ball out quicker.

psubills62
09-20-2009, 09:15 PM
Scott ws decent, but I'd rather have Runyan.

Walker is a decent option, but I think a big reason they cut him was because of how immobile he was. It looks like the Bills want this to be a very mobile unit that is effective at the screen passes. I don't think Runyan is very good at moving on screens either, but it's almost guaranteed that he's better than Walker.

psubills62
09-20-2009, 09:16 PM
Scott played much better than I thought and that sack was def on Trent, not him. Trent has to get that ball out quicker.

Yeah, Scott let the guy go, but Edwards held onto the ball WAY too long on that play (and some others). Most of the 3rd quarter I was yelling at Trent to just freaking throw the ball. I have a hard time believing our guys were that covered that often.

Mahdi
09-20-2009, 09:40 PM
Scott is more valuable in this blocking scheme than both Walker and Runyan.

jimbohastle51
09-20-2009, 10:56 PM
they want runyan. i have a feeling they will make a very competitive offer to him and if they loose out they will give walker the chance at the pay cut offer they gave him before they cut him.

Michael82
09-20-2009, 10:57 PM
I liked Walker a lot at RT and would love to see him back. If not, then I'll take Runyan. But I prefer Walker first.

jimbohastle51
09-20-2009, 11:00 PM
Scott is more valuable in this blocking scheme than both Walker and Runyan.

no way man. runyan is a beast and would fit what he do perfectly. as well as the wealth of experience he has at being an ELITE O-lineman in the NFL forever it seems can help our rookie starters and that alone is invaluable. its pretty obvious that we are set everywhere on our line in the front offices eyes except for RT. butler was not getting high praise all offseason. its obvious bell, wood, levitre and hangartner are going to be starters here for a long time but bringing runyan in means RT is probably one of our top 2 draft picks next year because it will also mean the end of butler as a starter in buffalo. he was on the outs before the injury, they were already in talks and reportedly working on runyan with butler healthy.

ct bills fan
09-20-2009, 11:05 PM
Walker got fatter this offseason, isn't mobile and gets out of breath in the no huddle. Nobody has picked him up for a reason, so, Runyan has to be it. I think Levi Brown is still available but he's a LT and has inu\jry concerns.

Dr. Lecter
09-20-2009, 11:08 PM
Walker has problems in a no huddle and can't keep up.

I would like Runyon here, assuming he is all injury free and is healed up.

Scott played well and Chambers did OK last year, but Runyon is better than both of them. I would think it would take Runyon 1-2 weeks to be ready to start though.

mysticsoto
09-20-2009, 11:13 PM
All this talk about Walker not being able to keep up in the no-huddle...I wonder if Runyan could - not just from a cardio POV, but from his microfracture knee injury. Being cleared to play is great, but what kind of a toll would a no-huddle pace put on him?

mysticsoto
09-20-2009, 11:34 PM
BTW, in case anyone is wondering, these are the Tackle FAs that scout.com lists as available. The list was probably made after the last preseason game as it doesn't list walker and lists Kirk Chambers:

Offensive Tackle
Levi Jones (LT) - Talented, long-time starter for the Bengals, but has suffered through various injuries over the past few years which have limited his play.
Mark Tauscher (http://profootball.scout.com/a.z?s=127&p=8&c=1&nid=4209060) (RT) - May not be ready to play until after the regular season starts.
Jon Runyan (http://profootball.scout.com/a.z?s=127&p=8&c=1&nid=3639811) (RT) - He still wants to play one to two years and should be ready to go very soon.
Jonas Jennings (LT/RT) - Oft-injured since he signed a big free-agent contract with the 49ers and probably is better off at right tackle because of his short arms.
Charles Spencer (LT/RT/G) - Very talented and versatile, but hasn't been the same after suffering a horrific leg/knee injury during his rookie season with the Texans. Recently signed with the UFL.
Kwame Harris (LT) - Marginal starter, but could be a solid backup for a team in need of a LT.
L.J. Shelton (http://profootball.scout.com/a.z?s=127&p=8&c=1&nid=4189323) (RT/LT) - Versatile backup.
Jason Fabini (http://profootball.scout.com/a.z?s=127&p=8&c=1&nid=3672120) (RT/G) - Can play probably at least three spots on the offensive line. Serviceable backup at this point in his career.
George Foster (RT) - Average backup tackle.
Anthony Davis (http://profootball.scout.com/a.z?s=127&p=8&c=1&nid=4146325) (RT/G) - Marginal backup.
Oliver Ross (http://profootball.scout.com/a.z?s=127&p=8&c=1&nid=3778067) (RT) - Decent backup RT.
Wesley Britt (http://profootball.scout.com/a.z?s=127&p=8&c=1&nid=4237112) (LT) - Decent backup LT.
Milford Brown (http://profootball.scout.com/a.z?s=127&p=8&c=1&nid=3949370) (G) - Better off playing RT or G.
Wayne Gandy (LT) - Last word we had was that he still wanted to play.
Junius Coston (RT) - Fits in as a fourth tackle.
[/URL][URL="http://profootball.scout.com/a.z?s=127&p=8&c=1&nid=4218168"]Kirk Chambers (http://profootball.scout.com/a.z?s=127&p=8&c=1&nid=4218168) (LT) - Decent backup.

Dr. Lecter
09-20-2009, 11:40 PM
If Jennings is healthy, he might be worth a shot too.

YoungEz
09-20-2009, 11:41 PM
Sad to see Schouman get injured but in all honestly as soon as he went out our offense started to open up finally

BillsWin
09-20-2009, 11:49 PM
Runyan is not bad at all.

clumping platelets
09-21-2009, 04:20 AM
I would have called him 10 seconds after Butler's CT scan.

MRI :rolleyes:

clumping platelets
09-21-2009, 04:21 AM
Bills cannot re-sign Walker cuz McKinney took his number

Dr. Lecter
09-21-2009, 08:28 AM
MRI :rolleyes:
:lolpoint: :eb: :nerd:

Mahdi
09-21-2009, 08:37 AM
no way man. runyan is a beast and would fit what he do perfectly. as well as the wealth of experience he has at being an ELITE O-lineman in the NFL forever it seems can help our rookie starters and that alone is invaluable. its pretty obvious that we are set everywhere on our line in the front offices eyes except for RT. butler was not getting high praise all offseason. its obvious bell, wood, levitre and hangartner are going to be starters here for a long time but bringing runyan in means RT is probably one of our top 2 draft picks next year because it will also mean the end of butler as a starter in buffalo. he was on the outs before the injury, they were already in talks and reportedly working on runyan with butler healthy.
Runyan is a beast as an IN-LINE blocker, not a zone blocker. He is very un-athletic and does not move well. All those toss and screen plays that Butler was getting way in front of Runyan will not be able to replicate.

Scott is even more athletic than Butler. He will prove to be a very competent starter in this league if given the start on Sunday. In fact, if Scott starts several games he might just take over the starting role even when Butler returns.

Mahdi
09-21-2009, 08:40 AM
BTW, in case anyone is wondering, these are the Tackle FAs that scout.com lists as available. The list was probably made after the last preseason game as it doesn't list walker and lists Kirk Chambers:
I like Kwame Harris off that list as a RT prospect. Very mobile, athletic and has plenty of experience in the zone blocking scheme. Could fit right in to our line. As depth and as a starter.

mysticsoto
09-21-2009, 09:43 AM
Runyan is a beast as an IN-LINE blocker, not a zone blocker. He is very un-athletic and does not move well. All those toss and screen plays that Butler was getting way in front of Runyan will not be able to replicate.

Scott is even more athletic than Butler. He will prove to be a very competent starter in this league if given the start on Sunday. In fact, if Scott starts several games he might just take over the starting role even when Butler returns.

The more I think about it, the more I think this is the way to go. Scott did look good with the exception of one play and given that it is his 1st start, that was awesome. He's been with the Bills now for awhile and knows the calls and doesn't need any time to learn the playcalling, etc. He just needs experience now. I remember being very impressed w/him in training camp.

And we would need to bring in a new backup if Butler gets placed on IR - I think Kwame (as you mention above) would be great. Let's hope the Bills do the right thing here.

Will it be a record for the Bills to have a completely revamped new Oline with none of the players having been starters the previous year??? It is actually incredible they are playing this good. Props to Kugler for doing a great job!!!

don137
09-21-2009, 11:22 AM
The Buffalo paper said Schouman was up walking after the game around the locker room. No ligament damage but it could be a sprain.
Butler on the other hand it does not look as good.
McKelvin also was seen walking around in the locker room after the game.

jamze132
09-21-2009, 12:43 PM
Why not Walker??
Because Walker is too fat and slow for this new style of offense.