PDA

View Full Version : Colts tried everything to get our RBs

Romes
09-02-2002, 07:52 AM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/s/clayton/qhits.html

"Colts' backs were against the wall at RB
The Colts tried everything they could to acquire a backup halfback from the Buffalo Bills, but they wouldn't settle on Richard Huntley, who was later released by the Bills. They preferred Sammy Morris or Shawn Bryson, but no trade could be worked out. The reason the Colts traded a seventh-round choice to the Saints for Ricky Williams -- the undrafted Williams -- was because they feared the Houston Texans would claim any young halfback put into the waiver system. The Texans have priority waiver claims because they are an expansion team. They will be very active making claims Monday."

I found this very interesting. I wonder what Clayton means when he says the Colts "tried everything." I am happy about our RB situation. We have a solid starter, a capable back up and our 3rd string is our special teams captain.

casdhf
09-02-2002, 08:05 AM
Still think Bryson should go.

LABillsFan
09-02-2002, 11:34 AM
I don't think there was any choice but to keep all three for exactly the point you made. Besides, when the injuries start happening the Bills will need depth at that position. However, as thin as the waiver wire is, it wouldn't suprise me if a team in need of a running back made an offer that TD took. There is a glaring need at the guard position, if there was a way to upgrade or add some depth that fit within TD's criteria he'd do it and get a cheaper RB for the 3rd spot.

HenryRules
09-02-2002, 11:35 AM
LA, I don't think we'd need to pick up a 3rd string RB. We have Burns on the roster as well and he's at the rookie minimum.

LABillsFan
09-02-2002, 12:00 PM
Yes there is Burns. But isn't Morris more of a full back with questionable hands? Bryson and Burns would be carrying the load and I wouldn't feel comfortable with a 4th and 1 and leaving it up to a rookie to get that yard. Morris had to play RB last year when Henry and Bryson were injured and was not all that productive. He is more useful on ST and FB.

SoCalBillsFan
09-02-2002, 12:57 PM
I'm glad we kept them both. Morris, IMO, is not as good as bryson or henry. I am not naive enough to think henry isnt going to get hurt all year. Bryson is a more than capable backup. You need 2 RB's in this league, which is why the colts wanted one of them to begin with.

JefftheBillsfan
09-02-2002, 01:05 PM
morris has the best hands out of all of them LA. i would have liked to see one of them moved. true...if a RB gets hurt we will be in trouble...but we are in trouble at DT..and nobody has even got hurt yet. we probably could have gotten an ellis johnson or a larry trippelette IMO.

SoCalBillsFan
09-02-2002, 01:53 PM
ellis johnson ended up being a free agent and we didn't sign him, so TD didn't want him. I doubt larry triplett, an early rd draft pick, would have been a legitimate trade. No way they would have given him straight up for bryson, who was valued by most at around a 4th rounder

RedEyE
09-02-2002, 03:09 PM
Huntley is available now. They are welcome to him.

LABillsFan
09-03-2002, 02:57 AM
JTBF,
Morris fumbles more. He was the 3rd featured back last year and there was a reason. His longest run was only 10 yards and caught only 7 passes. He is a role player such as ST Capt. and a blocking back but can't be relied on to carry the load.

venis2k1
09-03-2002, 03:02 AM
not that its saying much... but i think morris was our leading rusher in the preseason.

Mr Bill
09-03-2002, 03:06 AM
The Colts are still looking for help in the back field. Story (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news/ap/20020902/ap-colts-runningbacks.html) Of the big names released, Ki-Jana Carter is the better of them.

I'm not worried too much, as we don't play them this year.

LABillsFan
09-03-2002, 03:15 AM
Well he actually didn't touch the ball the first two games at all. The Bill were looking at all the other backs instead which kind of tells me they really don't want him carrying the ball, besides he also fumble the ball at the one yard line against Detroit. Some guys are meant to run the ball some are meant to block.