PDA

View Full Version : Today's game proved that this team needs Marshawn Lynch...

Ebenezer
09-20-2009, 09:24 PM
Fred Jackson should stay the starter and should get the bulk of the carries/catches out of the backfield...but today proved this team needs Lynch (or some capable backup). Jackson cannot take the pounding of handling the ball 30-35 times a game every week. There was one point at which he couldn't lift his left arm to undo his chinstrap. Jackson can handle 25 touches a game but no more - we need Lynch to come in and get 10-12 touches a game.

SABuffalo786
09-20-2009, 09:32 PM
Maybe later in the year it will be an issue in terms of durability - but you can't argue with results so far...

chernobylwraiths
09-20-2009, 10:12 PM
I love Jackson on this team, but he isn't the better option as a RB than Lynch IMO. A bit more nifty, maybe a bit better with his blockers and much better out of the backfield catching the ball, but I think Lynch is the better straight ahead runner. They compliment each other very well and they should at LEAST get equal touches.

Nighthawk
09-20-2009, 10:14 PM
I'm glad to have both backs on this team and there is no point trying to start a controversy. Just be happy we have two talented guys running the ball for this team...it doesn't suck!

TheBrownBear
09-20-2009, 10:16 PM
Both guys are good, but I think Jackson is a little better at this point. Jackson is a poor man's Thurman. Lynch is more Antowain Smith (at his best).

PECKERWOOD
09-20-2009, 10:24 PM
Wow, didn't Freddy look great? I thought it proved the opposite.

Nighthawk
09-20-2009, 10:25 PM
Both guys are good, but I think Jackson is a little better at this point. Jackson is a poor man's Thurman. Lynch is more Antowain Smith (at his best).

Lynch is better then A. Smith ever was...people are just a little too giddy right now because Jackson has played awesome.

tampabay25690
09-20-2009, 10:34 PM
I love Jackson on this team, but he isn't the better option as a RB than Lynch IMO. A bit more nifty, maybe a bit better with his blockers and much better out of the backfield catching the ball, but I think Lynch is the better straight ahead runner. They compliment each other very well and they should at LEAST get equal touches.

WHAT????
I think Fred Jackson is the best player on this team HANDS DOWN....
I do think this team will be better with both players when LYNCH is ready...

PECKERWOOD
09-20-2009, 10:35 PM
WHAT????
I think Fred Jackson is the best player on this team HANDS DOWN....
I do think this team will be better with both players when LYNCH is ready...

It does help that Edwards, Owens & Evans were spreading the field and opening up alot of stuff underneath.

BillsWin
09-20-2009, 10:40 PM
Lynch is better. People (including myself) are getting so wrapped up in the stats through the first two games.

Time to settle down and realize that the team needs both.

Lynch pounds opposing defenses to a pulp, and tires them out.

Then you change up the pace with Jackson, who has the potential to break that big play because he can squirm like no other.

But who would you rather have running the ball on 3rd and 2 or 4th and 1?

You hand the rock to Beast Mode because he never goes down on initial contact.

Fred jackson may just be the BEST change of pace back in the nfl. But that is what he is, a change of pace back. He has done extremely well in the opening weeks, but we really need Lynch back.

Then you will see that our run game will be nearly impossible to shut down because we will have the ability to not only play the hot hand, but change things up and throw different running styles at opposing defenses.

Michael82
09-20-2009, 10:41 PM
It reminds me of what the Titans have with Johnson and White. They give both of them the ball pretty equally. I hope we do the same thing. It will also help lengthen Marshawn's career, because he won't get as many carries and take as much abuse if he was part of the 1-2 punch instead of just getting all the carries.

Ebenezer
09-20-2009, 10:43 PM
It reminds me of what the Titans have with Johnson and White. They give both of them the ball pretty equally. I hope we do the same thing. It will also help lengthen Marshawn's career, because he won't get as many carries and take as much abuse if he was part of the 1-2 punch instead of just getting all the carries.
did you check out today's stats? far from equal.

Michael82
09-20-2009, 10:44 PM
did you check out today's stats? far from equal.
That's opposite from what they did last year. They tried to give them both the ball about the same amount and isn't that how they both ended up with over 1000 yards rushing?

Ebenezer
09-20-2009, 10:47 PM
That's opposite from what they did last year. They tried to give them both the ball about the same amount and isn't that how they both ended up with over 1000 yards rushing?
white had only 700 yds last year. johnson had 1200...but your point is true.

Michael82
09-20-2009, 10:51 PM
white had only 700 yds last year. johnson had 1200...but your point is true.
Yeah, you got my point. White had 200 carries. Johnson had 250. But that's what I see us doing with Lynch and Jackson, which will save Lynch's legs for later in the season too.

psubills62
09-20-2009, 10:52 PM
Yeah, I really believe that Lynch will need to take over most of the workload when he comes back (as Jackson has taken a real beating the last couple of weeks). However, it should gradually move to a 50/50 split of touches. By 50/50 I mean around 15 carries for Lynch, 10 for Jackson and 5 receptions for Jackson. That sort of thing.

Could always just alternate both and go with the hot hand. There were a lot of times last year when Lynch showed some shiftiness when they got the ball in his hands in the open field (usually dumpoff passes). I think Lynch is better than people give him credit for and we're blessed to have two great backs.

I have no idea why anyone would talk of trading Lynch...look at what just happened today to our TE's. If we trade Lynch and Jackson goes down...we're screwed.

Michael82
09-20-2009, 10:55 PM
The key thing is...now that we have no TEs....hopefully we will start to utilize more of the two RB formation, with both Lynch and Jackson in the backfield. That would be sick. Or put Jackson out wide and Lynch in the backfield. Either or...

BillsWin
09-20-2009, 11:03 PM
I hope Nelson is ok. He is developing into quite the versatile tight end. And no, I am not just saying that because he has a touchdown. He really looks good out there. He is learning his blocking assignments faster than alot of scouts thought he could I think he is ready to make an impact this season. They probably could have used his size later on in the game.

Lexwhat
09-20-2009, 11:08 PM
Yeah, you got my point. White had 200 carries. Johnson had 250. But that's what I see us doing with Lynch and Jackson, which will save Lynch's legs for later in the season too.

Actually, I think this had more to do with the fact that Chris Johnson was a rookie last year.

Last week, in another post, I said that C.Johnson will be the best RB in the AFC this year. I still believe that.

Anyways, IMO, I think a better comparison of 2 RBs on the same team is Thomas Jones / Leon Washington.