PDA

View Full Version : Bills - Tampa Observations

Dr. Lecter
09-20-2009, 10:36 PM
As usual, in random order:

1. I can't believe I am saying this, but Chris Kelsay actually played a decent game. He was pressuring and hitting Leftwich.

2. Aaron Maybin made one play (ona running play), but his pass rush was non-existent.

3. Aaron Schobel did not do much.

4. Stroud is still a beast. And Kyle Williams was outstanding at times.

5. Keith Ellison played pretty well, but missed an easy sack late in the game.

6. Jonathan Scott was respectable filling in for Butler.

7. Bryan Scott played damn well.

8. Fred Jackson was great, but he has a bad habit of fumbling.

9. Roscoe showed great effort in stopping Piscatelli from scoring. Trent did too, but would have never made the play.

10. Marcus Buggs, in his first game did just fine.

11. Schouman played well two weeks in a row, but I fear his season is over. He runs good patterns, makes the catch and can run after the catch for modest gains.

12. Reggie Corner did very well filling in for Leodis.

13. Great job of opening up the playbook early. If Youboty catches the lateral he was gone. At least oponents have something to think about for the rest of the year when punting. And then running the reverse to TO was fun.

14. Holy blitzing in the 2nd half!!!! Fewell was sending guys damn near every play. Which makes sense without big play receivers and a QB that is less mobile than I am.

15. The middle of the O-line is much better than last year. Not only Wood and Levitre, but Hamgartner too.

16. Jenkins is better on ST than Wendling, although the penalty on him was weak.

17. Tampa is a mess. 4 facemask penalties? A bunch of false starts?

18. Going for it on 4th down, when the Bills are dominating the lines? Love it!

19. Trent threw three perfect deep balls. Of course, TO had to drop one.

20. Great to see the all time team. I think I weigh as much as Jim Ritcher.

21. Moorman seems a little off. He was at his best when Schneck was here.

22. Rian Lindell with a nice job on kick-offs. Bobby April likes to mix up the calls.

23. My voice is shot. And I am sunburned.

24. There is too much road construction in the area.

25. The last two openers had crappy weather. Dude was at those two games. This year was nice and he was not there. Coincidence?

26. Although I was only at the tailgate briefly, it was good to see the out of towners like Pride and BAM and Mad Bomber!

mysticsoto
09-20-2009, 10:58 PM
On #9 - Parrish had to run down the guy b'cse he was at fault. His inept block led to the guy tackling FJ and causing the fumble. Had he blocked him well, FJ still had a defender, but he was in front of him and FJ could have tried to shake him or just go down - less likely a fumble would have occured...

justasportsfan
09-20-2009, 11:00 PM
Kyle wiliams was the beast.

Dr. Lecter
09-20-2009, 11:03 PM
On #9 - Parrish had to run down the guy b'cse he was at fault. His inept block led to the guy tackling FJ and causing the fumble. Had he blocked him well, FJ still had a defender, but he was in front of him and FJ could have tried to shake him or just go down - less likely a fumble would have occured...

It is still Freddie's fault for fumbling. Roscoe might have missed a block, but the RB still has to hold onto the ball.

A few other notes:

McGee made some important plays and very solid tackles.

The Bills need to work on the TE across the middle, although Winslow is a talented one. He beat McGee one time. That can't happen.

BillsWin
09-20-2009, 11:04 PM
Thanks Lecter. Great thread, alot of good observations.

mysticsoto
09-20-2009, 11:07 PM
It is still Freddie's fault for fumbling. Roscoe might have missed a block, but the RB still has to hold onto the ball.

A few other notes:

McGee made some important plays and very solid tackles.

The Bills need to work on the TE across the middle, although Winslow is a talented one. He beat McGee one time. That can't happen.

It's both their faults. Parrish shouldn't get off scot-free just b'cse he ran the guy down afterwards. He helped create the conditions for the fumble.

PECKERWOOD
09-20-2009, 11:09 PM
1.) Whitner probably had his best game of his pro career.
2.) Our line looks ALOT better than last year, on both sides of the ball, but on offense in particular.
3.) TO, Lee & Trent seem to have great chemistry, but we still need a #3 guy to step up.
4.) Freddy Jackson is very comparable to Lynch.
5.) AVP is clearly doing a great job calling the plays.

mysticsoto
09-20-2009, 11:09 PM
On #4 - Stroud and Kyle definitely had an outstanding game. But I don't want to get too happy. They were facing a backup Center. They need to do the same against starting Centers...

psubills62
09-20-2009, 11:10 PM
Great thread, I love reading the thoughts of people who were there! There were some good and bad plays during the game, but a lot to take away from it.

Although I have to ask...with #16, wasn't Jenkins inactive today?

billsTOfan
09-20-2009, 11:11 PM
2.) Our line looks ALOT better than last year, on both sides of the ball, but on offense in particular.
3.) TO, Lee & Trent seem to have great chemistry, but we still need a #3 guy to step up.

Lee had 1 catch on 1st drive

Dr. Lecter
09-20-2009, 11:16 PM
Yes. I think Jenkins should be in there and Wendling out (or cut)

Dr. Lecter
09-20-2009, 11:17 PM
On #4 - Stroud and Kyle definitely had an outstanding game. But I don't want to get too happy. They were facing a backup Center. They need to do the same against starting Centers...

Good point, but the Tampa guards were not slowing them down either. And Williams played well last week too.

tampabay25690
09-20-2009, 11:18 PM
What I saw was a team that was good because of there fans but scared later in the game......

The 12th man kept them in the game and TAMPA will be 4-12 at best this year....

Hopefully the Bills get some confidence after this win....

psubills62
09-20-2009, 11:20 PM

Ohh, now I understand. Gotcha...thought you were talking about the penalty on Jenkins.

Dr. Lecter
09-20-2009, 11:21 PM
Nope it was just me being unclear.

mysticsoto
09-20-2009, 11:31 PM
Lecter, can you comment on what coverage the TB D were giving w/r/t Lee and TO? On TV, you can't always see the full secondary coverage, but given that FJ had a field day again, am I right to guess that TB tried to do the same thing the Pats did? Where both Lee & TO were double and sometimes triple covered?

psubills62
09-20-2009, 11:37 PM
I think one other thing to take away from this game is how well Evans and Owens work the sidelines. Every deep ball (except the INT) was along the sideline. Edwards put all of those deep sideline throws on the money, and both Evans and Owens were well in bounds for each potential catch.

Usually the defender counts the sideline as a defender, but it was very impressive how Edwards and Owens didn't seem bothered by it. In fact, that was the best time to throw to them because they were single-covered when running along the sideline.

Michael82
09-20-2009, 11:51 PM
I completely agree. I was hoping that was why they re-signed him. I wanted to see him out there on special teams, because they were bad last week. Jenkins was inactive, which was a waste and he was definitely missed. Our coverage teams look pretty crappy!

Buffalogic
09-21-2009, 02:03 AM
Kyle Williams is like our Kelly Gregg. Unheralded. Non-flashy. White. But makes plays. This guys has developed into a good player and he has potential to still get better.

Maybin is having a tough time in pass rush and needs to work on his technique.

Jan Reimers
09-21-2009, 07:03 AM
Roscoe is also becoming useless as a punt returner. Could he stop letting every punt hit the ground and roll deeper into our territory? Could he actually field one and run it toward the opponent's goal line?

Bulldog
09-21-2009, 07:10 AM

I'll go on record right now and say that Freddy is a better all around back than Lynch. I've felt that way since last year. I love the fact that Marshawn will be back in a couple of weeks, but he's going to have a difficult time of keeping Jackson off the field. It's a nice problem to have.

Luisito23
09-21-2009, 07:26 AM
Kyle Williams is like our Kelly Gregg. Unheralded. Non-flashy. White. But makes plays. This guys has developed into a good player and he has potential to still get better.

Maybin is having a tough time in pass rush and needs to work on his technique.

I really love Kyle's game...He's very underrated, and doesn't get mentioned a whole lot, but he brings it every single time...Definitely our best defensive player so far, and I see no reason why that should stop since it appears he's coming into his own!

EDS
09-21-2009, 07:59 AM
As usual, in random order:

1. I can't believe I am saying this, but Chris Kelsay actually played a decent game. He was pressuring and hitting Leftwich.

2. Aaron Maybin made one play (ona running play), but his pass rush was non-existent.

3. Aaron Schobel did not do much.

4. Stroud is still a beast. And Kyle Williams was outstanding at times.

5. Keith Ellison played pretty well, but missed an easy sack late in the game.

6. Jonathan Scott was respectable filling in for Butler.

7. Bryan Scott played damn well.

8. Fred Jackson was great, but he has a bad habit of fumbling.

9. Roscoe showed great effort in stopping Piscatelli from scoring. Trent did too, but would have never made the play.

10. Marcus Buggs, in his first game did just fine.

11. Schouman played well two weeks in a row, but I fear his season is over. He runs good patterns, makes the catch and can run after the catch for modest gains.

12. Reggie Corner did very well filling in for Leodis.

13. Great job of opening up the playbook early. If Youboty catches the lateral he was gone. At least oponents have something to think about for the rest of the year when punting. And then running the reverse to TO was fun.

14. Holy blitzing in the 2nd half!!!! Fewell was sending guys damn near every play. Which makes sense without big play receivers and a QB that is less mobile than I am.

15. The middle of the O-line is much better than last year. Not only Wood and Levitre, but Hamgartner too.

16. Jenkins is better on ST than Wendling, although the penalty on him was weak.

17. Tampa is a mess. 4 facemask penalties? A bunch of false starts?

18. Going for it on 4th down, when the Bills are dominating the lines? Love it!

19. Trent threw three perfect deep balls. Of course, TO had to drop one.

20. Great to see the all time team. I think I weigh as much as Jim Ritcher.

21. Moorman seems a little off. He was at his best when Schneck was here.

22. Rian Lindell with a nice job on kick-offs. Bobby April likes to mix up the calls.

23. My voice is shot. And I am sunburned.

24. There is too much road construction in the area.

25. The last two openers had crappy weather. Dude was at those two games. This year was nice and he was not there. Coincidence?

26. Although I was only at the tailgate briefly, it was good to see the out of towners like Pride and BAM and Mad Bomber!

27. Andre Reed and Henry Jones have smokin hot wives. Both looked liked they could still play too.

trapezeus
09-21-2009, 09:20 AM
Corrections to your list:

1. i didn't think that Jackson has fumbling problems. in fact that was one of the first times i thought i saw jackson fumble.
2. Edwards went long 4 times. 2 to evans in the endzone and 2 to TO.

Everything else were good observations.

PECKERWOOD
09-21-2009, 09:25 AM
28.) Dick needs to talk to Freddy about fumbling his balls.

Dude
09-21-2009, 09:43 AM
25. The last two openers had crappy weather. Dude was at those two games. This year was nice and he was not there. CoincidenceYou may be on to something. It rained here all day yesterday. :scratch:

The last buffalo fan
09-21-2009, 09:43 AM
Gracias Doc, great observations. I do appreciate them! :bf1: