PDA

View Full Version : I would like to point something out that Pat Moran wrote

BillsWin
09-20-2009, 11:17 PM
In his write up The Bills and Bucs Review for his new website. I thought this would merit its own thread and discussion. Here is a quote about Terrell Owens.

* Let’s get the obvious out of the way first. Terrell Owens scored on a long touchdown pass. This is critically important for two big reasons.
1- He can say (or not say) whatever he wants, but until he made a significant contribution he was still an outsider to this team. That changed with the touchdown. Hopefully it’s the start of something big.
2- He atoned for that awful drop earlier in the game. Had he not made up for it later on, it would’ve been a very long week with the media. I already environed Skip Bayless and every ESPN analyst laying into him. Even had the Bills won, T.O.’s mood would’ve been anything but enjoyable.

I think that point one was dead on. I get the feeling that the Bills fans really have embraced T.O as one of us, but were still in awe that he was a Bill. What Pat wrote made me realize that while I knew Owens was a Bill, I didnt really think of him as a Bill (subconsciously).

I think maybe the team had some of those same issues. They accepted him, but really until he contributed positively to Buffalo, he really wasnt a true Bill.

Maybe that is why the entire team went insane when Owens scored. Not only was it a touchdown, but it really did signify Owens becoming a Buffalo Bill.

I don't know, I just thought that Pat was dead on with that statement and that maybe that was the push needed to make everything start to click. :idunno: I don't know, just a thought.

What do you guys think?

BillsWin
09-20-2009, 11:22 PM
Its like, we all think of him as a Buffalo Bill. But when he scored his first touchdown as a Bill, that is when subconsciously he finally became a Bill.

Its a little deep and maybe not what Pat meant, but I really think that its true...

patmoran2006
09-20-2009, 11:23 PM
Thanks.

It is pretty much what I meant.

He was a Buffalo Bill before today; but I think today he really became PART of the Buffalo Bills, if that makes sense.

BillsWin
09-20-2009, 11:28 PM
Thanks.

He was a Buffalo Bill before today; but I think today he really became PART of the Buffalo Bills, if that makes sense.

yeah, thats a pretty cool way to look at things. I mean after you said that I remembered the scene when he scored, I mean Eric Wood for God sakes sprinted down the field to congratulate T.O and Evans held him up and the fans were insane. It was a scene that I feel had more meaning than just a TD catch.

BillsWin
09-20-2009, 11:29 PM
welcome to the Buffalo Bills T.O. congrats on that first TD in a Bills uni. May there be many more! :cheers:

psubills62
09-20-2009, 11:31 PM
I agree. I think that T.O. brought a presence with him. And until he made a TD catch or had a big game, it was more as if he was a guy there to give the media little nuggets instead of to play football. I think after the catch we can see him as a football player instead of just a presence.

Hard to describe, but I agree. And I say "we" because I have no idea how the team actually felt about him.

jmb1099
09-21-2009, 05:52 AM
it was the Bills and TO up until that play, not the Bills with TO. Big difference, good thoughts Pat and Billswin

BillsWin
09-21-2009, 09:42 AM
it was the Bills and TO up until that play, not the Bills with TO. Big difference, good thoughts Pat and Billswin

thats a good way of putting it. I agree.

Dude
09-21-2009, 09:45 AM
Based upon his facial expressions while sitting on the bench leading up to his TD, I'd say that TO didn't feel like he was a part of the Buffalo Bills either.

trapezeus
09-21-2009, 10:11 AM
it was cool to see him not really do anything to celebrate the moment either. He just kinda took it all in. he didn't make it a "me" thing. he just kinda took the crowd response in.

i bet the happiest camper was DJ. You don't want TO upset 2 weeks in a row.

Goobylal
09-21-2009, 10:37 AM
If you meant he wasn't a part of the team in Bills' fans' eyes until that TD, then yes I agree. But TO's presence has drawn double-coverage in both games, freeing-up the 8-men fronts the Bills used to always see, and opens things up for the other guys. Those are things that aren't apparent to most Bills fans, while a TD is. But the team knows it.

BillsWin
09-21-2009, 11:20 AM
Based upon his facial expressions while sitting on the bench leading up to his TD, I'd say that TO didn't feel like he was a part of the Buffalo Bills either.
he kinda sat aloof too didnt he? and after that touchdown i saw a shot of him chattin with lee. maybe he did feel a little like an outsider. who knows? all i know is that i went crazy when he scored. more so than i thought i would

Discotrish
09-21-2009, 01:11 PM
Thanks.

Very good insight on #1 and I was thinking the same thing at the time on #2. probably a lot of people are nodding their heads on that one.

Patti