X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mahdi
    • Mar 2004

2 weaknesses the Bills MUST solve

1) The first is related to our offense. Specifically QB. Trent needs to hit the INTERMEDIATE routes. He didn't hit a single one yesterday. And the one he did try got picked off just like against Tennessee in preseason. Trent is going to have to improve this aspect of his game or defenses will get wise to it. I dont know if he is worried about throwing into the more high traffic areas of the field or he just doesn't have the arm, either way this problem can hold back the offense. TO lives off the intermediate routes.

2) Pass rush. Most teams LOVE playing with a lead and getting after the QB. For us its almost worse to play with a lead. When we are up in the 4th quarter offenses are spreading things out and throwing on every down and we can't pressure the QB. This is a massive problem. If I'm Sean Payton I'm playing 3 and 4 wide the whole game and chucking it all over the field. We dont have a DE right now that can bother a QB with any consistency. Maybin is improving, trying to work in counter moves but he is still learning to adapt. The rest are feast or famine DEs. Everything is pointing to us giving up 40 points to the Saints next week.
  • Forward_Lateral
    • Mar 2004

Re: 2 weaknesses the Bills MUST solve

Trent hit the intermediate route many times yesterday, what game were you watching?

Comment

• justasportsfan
      • Jul 2002

1)I agree. We're not hitting anyone up the middle. Put Josh Reed in there with TO and Evans if our TE's aren't doing anything. At least with Reed , he gets the ball for first downs.

2) Our DE's tend to go too wide and gets to the qb a little too late. We're getting pressure up the middle but not much from the DE's .
      sacrifice1
      https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• justasportsfan
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Forward_Lateral
        Trent hit the intermediate route many times yesterday, what game were you watching?
        for Trents standards he was.
        sacrifice1

Comment

• psubills62
          Legendary Zoner
          • Sep 2008

I don't think he hit a ton (I'd consider the intermediate routes to be about 15-20 yards from the LOS), but I do specifically remember a pass to Reed that was about that long.

I do sort of agree with Mahdi though. He needs to hit those more often. I watch too many other games where I see receivers WIDE OPEN in the middle of the field and the QB is consistently throwing it to them for 15-20 yards (see Eli Manning yesterday). I just wonder why our offense never looks like that.

Don't get me wrong, I've been fairly happy with the offense the past couple games. I just wish I saw more of the over-the-middle stuff.
          "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
          - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• Mahdi
            • Mar 2004

No he didn't. Name the receiver that caught an intermediate route pass.

Comment

• SABURZFAN
              short bus extraordinaire
              • Jul 2002

i thought HC would be one of the two team weaknesses.
              Originally posted by yordad
              Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• trapezeus
                Legendary Zoner
                • Oct 2004

i see where Mahdi is coming from. While i liked he went long 4 times in the game and hit on two...that annoying feeling i had is that first point that was made.

The bills are either throwing 5 yards past the line of scrimmage or they are firing it super long.

i'd have thought that Josh Reed would be the biggest benefactor of TO's arrival. But he's only caught a couple of balls. Ideally, i'd like to see that third receiver at the sticks or 15 yards down field. that is an area that has to get better.

In that dud of a 3rd quarter, it felt like the team was running really long routes because edwards seemed to be only looking at people's backs and that's when he got flushed out. then in the 4th quarter they went back to short routes and runs to get them to pinch up.

But again, if you have a running back running for 165 yards, throwing is really all that needed.

In the end, the offense was good enough to win, but they still have areas of improvement. And it's nice to finally get to a point to have only a couple things that you'd like to see get fixed as opposed to worrying about every single play and every single player.

Comment

• Captain gameboy
                  • Jul 2002

This fan base will not be happy until TE hits the shorts, the intermediates and the longs, on each pass.

No smiles until he is 40 for 42 for 765 yards in the wind and snow.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by gameboy
                    This fan base will not be happy until TE hits the shorts, the intermediates and the longs, on each pass.

until he does that we'll be mediocre. sb is the goal and not .500.
                    sacrifice1

Comment

• Philagape
                      WIN NOW
                      • Jul 2002

He's not going to try every kind of pass in every game, and I don't care if he does or not as long as he produces.

He didn't try it yesterday except for the pick, but he did it at least three times at New England: The early strike to Reed that was called back because of Bell; the first-down pass on third-and-10 that Evans dropped on the hit; and the pass to TO on the final drive.

Some people won't be happy until he completes every single pass, hitting every single area of the field .... in a blizzard.

His passer rating's above 100, he's played well enough to win twice, he'd be 2-0 if not for McKelvin. And we're quibbling about the types of throws.
                      "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
                      2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• Captain gameboy
                        • Jul 2002

He's the least of our problems right now, just the easiest to criticize.

Want something to worry about?

How about letting our smallish corners get singled up, and alone, against much taller receivers.

That was the single thing the Bucs ran in the fourth quarter, and it should have worked more than it did.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by gameboy
                          He's the least of our problems right now, just the easiest to criticize.

Want something to worry about?

How about letting our smallish corners get singled up, and alone, against much taller receivers.

That was the single thing the Bucs ran in the fourth quarter, and it should have worked more than it did.
                          I agree, he's doing great but I see what Mahdi is saying. This needs to happen if Trent is to take this team to the next level.

If Trent hits those balls, it kinda also helps out the D and our smallish corners from having to see the field.

If you want to keep Brees off the field make those throws.
                          sacrifice1

Comment

• BuffaloBillsStampede
                            • Aug 2005

Im sorry but when Tampa was forced to throw everytime Leftwich was getting up off the ground after almost every play.
                            SUPER MARIO PLEASE COME TO BUFFALO!!!!

Comment

• Captain gameboy
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by justasportsfan
                              I agree, he's doing great but I see what Mahdi is saying. This needs to happen if Trent is to take this team to the next level.

If Trent hits those balls, it kinda also helps out the D and our smallish corners from having to see the field.

If you want to keep Brees off the field make those throws.
                              We are never going to get perfection. Get over it.

Even God's own QB lost to the Jets yesterday.

Edwards is going darn good right now.
                              For once, we are not worried about some knucklehead QB.

We have other issues.

Comment

Working...
                              X