PDA

View Full Version : Fred Jackson

Historian
09-21-2009, 10:26 AM
How do you take the starting job away from him?

BAM
09-21-2009, 10:27 AM
I hope they don't but by week 4 he may NEED to take a break as much as they've been using him.

DrGraves
09-21-2009, 10:28 AM
you don't.

mikemac2001
09-21-2009, 10:30 AM
Its easy have them on the field at the same time

ddaryl
09-21-2009, 10:30 AM
I see no reason why Jackson and Lynch can't both be very successful together

I doubt Lynch is the starter week #4, but I'm very excited about having Lynch back...

The last buffalo fan
09-21-2009, 10:33 AM
double sized head monster!!! :xtreme:

Philagape
09-21-2009, 10:34 AM
Thunder and lightning!
Smash and dash!
Action and Beast Mode!

Joe Fo Sho
09-21-2009, 10:35 AM
Why do we have to have a starter and a backup?

Lynch is better is some scenarios, Jackson is better in others. Split their time 50-50, if one obviously isn't performing as well, then decrease their time.

This team has 2 good running backs, why can't they utilize both? We have 2 good receivers, we can't give them both the ball on every play.

Jackson has played great for us, but to sit Lynch when his suspension is up and only give him 5-10 touches is a mistake.

yordad
I still think Lynch is one of the best RBs in the entire NFL. I would like to have seen what he would have done Vs Tampa with the new O-line.

madness
Lynch may have to work to get back in the starting lineup just to get back into game shape again but he will most likely overtake Jackson as starter in the next few games.

SABURZFAN
09-21-2009, 10:36 AM
:yawn:

:z:

yordad
09-21-2009, 10:43 AM
Thunder and lightning!
Smash and dash!
Action and Beast Mode!Beast Action!! Wait, that sounds gross. :ill:

DraftBoy
09-21-2009, 10:44 AM
Jackson is the more complete back imo and he is showing that. Even if he gets shut down running the ball, he is just as dangerous catching the ball which Lynch is not.

Jaybird
09-21-2009, 10:45 AM
what a great problem to have!!!!

The last buffalo fan
09-21-2009, 10:45 AM
Both can block, both can catch, both can play on the same backfield, next to Trent. Forget the Hback and that extra TE. Get them both on the field at the same time.

DraftBoy
09-21-2009, 10:46 AM
Both can block, both can catch, both can play on the same backfield, next to Trent. Forget the Hback and that extra TE. Get them both on the field at the same time.

But not to equal degres, Jackson is a batter blocker and pass catcher. I dont disagree that they can't play at the same time, but they can't do that all game. Unless you want to play Omon and McIntyre as well.

ChristopherWalken
09-21-2009, 10:48 AM
Jackson hits the hole much harder but Lynch will wear a defense out. If the keep going with the "no-huddle", swapping backs will be difficult.

Someone else said it already though, how long can Jackson keep this pace? He will need to be spelled and Omon doesn't have the same gusto. Lynch will be more helpful than many realize.

Jan Reimers
09-21-2009, 10:59 AM
I love having 2 great RBs. At times, they can be on the field together. At other times, one will be more effective against a particular defense. One will be a little banged up on occasion. Etc.

Who cares which one is the nominal starter. It's a great situation to have.

Akhippo
09-21-2009, 11:01 AM
I like this problem. Jackson is smoother and complete. He can be lined up in the slot even when Lynch is on the field. Thats how you get him the extra touches.

Lynch is a beast that will be especially valueable in the latter stages when he is fresher and can pound some people.

I think Jackson stays officially the starter for the year, but its a good problem to have.

mysticsoto
09-21-2009, 11:08 AM
Lynch is definitely the tougher of the two. Why not start Lynch and then use FJ later to spell Lynch as the opponents D begins to wear out due to no-huddle and Lynch smash mouth style running. Our two backs complement each other perfectly!!!

Discotrish
09-21-2009, 01:13 PM

I don't think you do, as long as he's putting up 100+ all purpose yards a game.

Patti

mybills
09-21-2009, 01:17 PM
I still love how Marshawn can drag 10 defenders into the end zone with him. You don't see Fred do that, but I'd love to have them share the field.

Mahdi
09-21-2009, 01:45 PM
1a, 1b, split carries, top tandem in the league.

See Marion Barber and Felix Jones.

psubills62
09-21-2009, 01:57 PM
We need to get Lynch in there. I can only imagine how pumped up he's feeling not being able to help the team in practice or on game day. I have a feeling that he'll be mowing people over when he gets onto the field.

It's obvious they need to get Jackson plenty of touches, but it should be easy enough to alternate back and forth between them. They both have their strengths and weaknesses, but both are good pounding the ball and catching the ball in open space.

It doesn't matter who is the starter as long as they split carries fairly evenly. Sort of like it doesn't matter who the #1 WR is.

Mahdi
09-21-2009, 01:58 PM
We need to get Lynch in there. I can only imagine how pumped up he's feeling not being able to help the team in practice or on game day. I have a feeling that he'll be mowing people over when he gets onto the field.

It's obvious they need to get Jackson plenty of touches, but it should be easy enough to alternate back and forth between them. They both have their strengths and weaknesses, but both are good pounding the ball and catching the ball in open space.

It doesn't matter who is the starter as long as they split carries fairly evenly. Sort of like it doesn't matter who the #1 WR is.
Good point.

Only if we could use our two #1 WRs like we use our 2 #1 RBs... offense would be unstoppable.

The Juice Is Loose
09-21-2009, 02:00 PM
The fact of the matter is, Lynch coming back just makes this team even harder to prepare for. We have a line that can block, a QB that's not wreckless with the ball, but who showed Sunday will take a shot. We have 2 top end receivers, we have a possible beats in Shawn Nelson who's creating mismatches.

Then we have Fred Jackson, probably one of the most efficient backs in the league, and Beast Mode Lynch, probably my favorite back in the league.

I think Lynch will prove he's the more explosive back. But the fact is, why not let me rest and let Fred makes plays so that Lynch has fresh legs when needed?

Plus with them both on the field, it can make your head spin!

casdhf
09-21-2009, 03:39 PM
That fumble was atrocious.

Mr. Pink
09-21-2009, 03:43 PM
RB is an area of strength on this team, bar none, it's the single biggest area of strength.

Jackson is easily the better RB of the two, no matter how you wanna dispute it.

When you have an area of strength and you have numerous deficiencies, you should make all attempts to better your team as a whole.

Therefore, I say you put feelers out to see what kind of value you can get for Lynch in the offseason to better the team on the whole next season.

I'm not saying take anything for him but I'm not sure how much value a dime a dozen average NFL RB has. Which is what Lynch is. You have an upper tier of RBs in this league - Turner and All Day, Lynch isn't anywhere near that level.

The King
09-21-2009, 03:49 PM
As I said in another thread you dont... you basically split carries 15-10 depending on who the hot hand is.

Mr. Pink
09-21-2009, 03:51 PM
As I said in another thread you dont... you basically split carries 15-10 depending on who the hot hand is.

Lots of RBs get better as their carries go up and get rolling.

If you're splitting carries like that, you risk the possibility that neither guy gets in a groove.

The King
09-21-2009, 04:10 PM
Lots of RBs get better as their carries go up and get rolling.

If you're splitting carries like that, you risk the possibility that neither guy gets in a groove.Im not saying its a cut and dry formula as I said you play the hot hand. And these guys like working together so there isnt a whole lot of risk in letting them split time.

Ground Chuck
09-21-2009, 07:28 PM
Lynch can't catch.

X-Era
09-21-2009, 07:29 PM

163 yards on the ground?

I don't know how you do it either.

chernobylwraiths
09-21-2009, 08:58 PM
Jackson has played well when he has gotten the chance, but we need to get them BOTH touches. Lynch would be much better at softening up a defense for Jackson than the other way around though.

malo
09-21-2009, 09:00 PM
For once we can say this is a good problem to have.

OpIv37
09-21-2009, 09:04 PM
Lynch may have to work to get back in the starting lineup just to get back into game shape again but he will most likely overtake Jackson as starter in the next few games.

And that's the ideal situation because as several people already pointed out, Jackson can't take this kind of punishment for a whole season. Phase Lynch back in, reduce Jackson's role, then hopefully we'll still have two fresh RB's late in the season.

mysticsoto
09-21-2009, 09:05 PM
What some people are failing to realize is that FJ is doing great, but he's being helped a great deal by the TO effect. Lynch would have likely gotten even more yards. I don't want to take anything away from FJ. I like him and think he's doing great. In fact, I sung his praises back a few years ago when I reported here that FJ was looking good in TC and people snickered responding by saying he was TC fodder. But I think people are dismissing Lynch all of a sudden too easy...some of you have a 'what have you done for me lately' mentality and have short term memories. Wait another few weeks and then ask the same question again on whether we should trade Lynch...

ServoBillieves
09-21-2009, 09:07 PM
Head Mode... <_<?

chernobylwraiths
09-21-2009, 09:10 PM
Lynch has never gotten 28 carries in a game either. I really like Jackson, but Lynch is damned good too. And if you have two good backs, screw the "groove" thing. It has worked for some very good teams and it is how many teams win these days, to have two very good backs.