PDA

View Full Version : L.A. might get a team or two by next year

Mudflap1
09-21-2009, 11:43 AM
Is NFL team on fast track to L.A.?

L.A. stadium developers make pitch to O.C. audience.

http://www.ocregister.com/newsimages/columnist/randy.youngman.jpg Randy Youngman
Columnist
The Orange County Register
ryoungman@ocregister.com (ryoungman@ocregister.com)

Comments 0 (http://www.ocregister.com/articles/stadium-team-semcken-2573936-nfl-roski#slComments)| Recommend (javascript:recommendReview('OCRArticle2573936'))1

NEWPORT BEACH – Could an NFL team relocate in Southern California as soon as next season?
John Semcken, project manager for the proposed $800 million NFL stadium in the City of Industry, looked around the ballroom at Big Canyon Country Club on Friday night and hesitated before dropping that provocative possibility into his presentation to the invitation-only audience of Orange County movers and shakers.
Semcken paused, because he knew a few local media had infiltrated the room. Nevertheless, he continued his thought, probably because he also knew there were a few listeners capable of paying for $290,000-a-year private suites if the 75,000-seat stadium ever gets built on the proposed 600-acre site near the interchange of the 57 and 60 freeways.
"We could have a team here as early as next year," Semcken said.
OK, now the obligatory fine print.
First, the litigation against the stadium developer — Majestic Realty Co., owned by billionaire Edward Roski Jr., who was also on hand Friday night — has to be settled. (The City of Walnut, and a group of Walnut residents, have filed separate lawsuits against the project, seeking a new environmental-impact study. Negotiations are continuing, with former California attorney general John Van de Kamp mediating.)
"We're going to be done by the end of September, one way or another, with approval for the stadium," Semcken said, saying he was confident the state Senate would approve environmental waivers on the project if there isn't a settlement with litigants by Sept. 29. "Then it's a matter of which (existing NFL) team is going to come.
"There are a lot of teams whose leases are up and a lot of teams whose revenues are down."
Neither Semcken, nor Roski, would name which teams are on their list of possible tenants, but various published reports have included the Chargers, Raiders, Jacksonville Jaguars, Buffalo Bills, Minnesota Vikings and — uh-oh — St. Louis Rams as those possibly interested in relocating.
But how could a team relocate as soon as 2010 if the stadium will not be ready to open until 2013?
"Once we have an approved stadium, we can offer it to the NFL," Semcken said. "The team could move immediately, play temporarily in the Rose Bowl or play temporarily in the Coliseum ... then move into the new building in 2013 when it's completed."
Why would a team move before the stadium is built?
"Once a team decides it's going to move, it's going to have to move right away," Semcken said. "It won't be able to sell any tickets or sponsorships anymore."
"A team won't announce it's going to leave," Roski added. "They'll have to move a day ahead of time."
Remember how the Baltimore Colts moved to Indianapolis in the middle of the night in 1984? Same concept.
Roski, a co-owner of the Lakers and Kings and the key developer of the privately financed Staples Center 10 years ago, also headed the ownership group that lost an NFL expansion team to Houston in 2001. But he is confident the NFL will steer a team to his new stadium in the City of Industry, because his proposal is no longer tied to the antiquated Coliseum.
He has spent $12 million of his money in the planning process, and he says the league — motivated to return to the second-largest media market for the first time since the Rams and Raiders bolted in 1994 — already has invested at least $10 million conducting its studies.
Saying there are 111/2 million residents within a 30-mile radius of the new stadium site, Semcken points out the NFL advised Roski's group to plan a stadium that would house two NFL teams at the same time.
But the stadium project is called "Los Angeles Football Stadium" (see www.losangelesfootballstadium.com for more details). So why were Roski and Semcken in Orange County the past two weeks pitching their proposal?
"Because we don't want people in Orange County to think of it as an L.A. stadium, especially because it's closer to Orange County," Semcken said. "The site is 14 miles from Disneyland and 22 miles from downtown Los Angeles."
There also are a few people in Orange County with deep pockets. That might have something to do with Roski's interest, too.
Maybe it is going to happen this time. If so, may I add my two cents: Anybody but the Rams.

Contact the writer: ryoungman@ocregister.com (ryoungman@ocregister.com)

SABURZFAN
09-21-2009, 11:52 AM
the talks of a stadium being built has been going on for a couple of years. i'll believe it when i see it.

HHURRICANE
09-21-2009, 11:57 AM
You can't avoid the fact that Ralph will probably die about the same time the stadium is finished. Talk about perfect timing.

Mudflap1
09-21-2009, 11:59 AM
You can't avoid the fact that Ralph will probably die about the same time the stadium is finished. Talk about perfect timing.

The word out here is one or two out of the Jaguars, Rams, and/or Chargers right now.

SABURZFAN
09-21-2009, 12:00 PM

the Bills aren't going anywhere and 2010 is too early for any team to relocate to a place that doesn't even have the stadium built, let alone the approval to build it. it's a bunch of hogwash. like i said, these talks have been going on for a couple of years and people continue to drag their feet.

SABURZFAN
09-21-2009, 12:02 PM
The word out here is one or two out of the Jaguars, Rams, and/or Chargers right now.

did the Chargers renew their lease at the current place?

Mudflap1
the Bills aren't going anywhere and 2010 is too early for any team to relocate to a place that doesn't even have the stadium built, let alone the approval to build it. it's a bunch of hogwash. like i said, these talks have been going on for a couple of years and people continue to drag their feet.

They'll play in the Rose Bowl or (gasp!) the Coliseum until a new stadium is ready.

camelcowboy
Jacksonville will be first then the chargers If Ralph stays alive LA is not our biggest threat.

Mudflap1
did the Chargers renew their lease at the current place?

Nope.

Michael82
09-21-2009, 12:03 PM
I still see the Chargers moving first. They are having way too many problems in San Diego and it's not that far of a move.

Michael82
09-21-2009, 12:05 PM
Honestly though...I am so sick and tired of the Jacksonville Jaguars. Their fans aren't around. They do make the playoffs once in a while and have winning seasons, but they continue to cover up half of the stadium to sell out the games. They also still have many many blackouts. **** them! They don't deserve a team!

trapezeus
09-21-2009, 12:16 PM
the owners lockout has to factor into this too. What guy would throw $1bn into a purcashe of a team and find out that he'll have no cashflow from the investment in the first year? Is there more than a handful of investors who'd take that on with no payout in 2011?

I think The NFL has to like their Toronto option with Buffalo. It's an newly tapped target...it raised money for the team, people came. and they have a national game this year. If it does well. i can't imagine them pulling out of that opportunity.

Jacksonville's problem is that it's small and people love their college football more. St Louis is similar in that they already lost a team because they didn't support it when they were the cardinals. So moving again, won't come as such a shock.They really should be the easiest of the teams to relocate. They won't alienate fans. they have a small unproven base to start with.

All the other teams, Chargers, Vikings, Bills have a loyal fanbase who show up to the old stadium, have the time of their lives and scream every sunday for their team to win. None of those teams fans really care for a new stadium. It's fine as it is.

The NFL can play this correctly or they could botch it up.

I just hope Ralph can outlive all this nonsense.

Mr. Pink
09-21-2009, 12:18 PM
Well unless we see a fleet of Mayflower trucks driving around One Bills Dr. we shouldn't have much to worry about on this one.

Mudflap1
09-21-2009, 12:46 PM
The Chargers are very much in play for a move. They only had about 43K in attendance yesterday. Their stadium does not meet the luxury suite needs that modern stadiums have. It wouldn't be that far of a relocation. I think it's Chargers and/or Jaguars.

Michael82
09-21-2009, 12:53 PM
I'm sorry. But **** L.A.! They don't need two ****ing teams. This is ridulous. Sure there is lots of money there, but the state is California is so damn broke and I'm sure they wouldn't be able to afford all the tax breaks for a new stadium. Plus..why the **** do they deserve two teams when they couldn't even hold onto the ones they had? :mad:

Discotrish
09-21-2009, 12:57 PM
Someone forgot to tell them California is going bankrupt.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_3LOSMp8vg0o/SHND1plx6EI/AAAAAAAAAMY/M030hycUBi8/s320/arnold+schwarzenegger+training.jpg

Patti

Mudflap1
09-21-2009, 12:58 PM
I'm sorry. But **** L.A.! They don't need two ****ing teams. This is ridulous. Sure there is lots of money there, but the state is California is so damn broke and I'm sure they wouldn't be able to afford all the tax breaks for a new stadium. Plus..why the **** do they deserve two teams when they couldn't even hold onto the ones they had? :mad:

Mikey, calm down and take two Xanax... you want to **** L.A. saying they don't deserve a team, but you want to **** Jacksonville because they don't deserve a team. Make a decision!

As a resident of SoCal and neighbor of 5 minutes to the proposed site of the new stadium, I would be interested in a team moving here. But I agree, not two. Let's get one back here, like the Jaguars who suck and can't be supported by their city on a regular basis, and see how it goes. The point of the stadium is to 1) host an NFL team; 2) host Super Bowls; 3) be an entertainment complex with shopping, movie theatres, restaurants, and a 5,000 seat concert theatre. NFL football is the top, but not only reason for a team. Again, let's get one back here (a willing franchise like JAX who is totally neglected by their fanbase) and see what happens.

Also, the stadium is 100% privately funded, just like Staples Center. They are going to build the stadium and adjoining complex one way or another (once the litigation is worked out with Walnut, CA) whether a team is ready to move this year or not.

Michael82
09-21-2009, 02:07 PM
Mikey, calm down and take two Xanax... you want to **** L.A. saying they don't deserve a team, but you want to **** Jacksonville because they don't deserve a team. Make a decision!

As a resident of SoCal and neighbor of 5 minutes to the proposed site of the new stadium, I would be interested in a team moving here. But I agree, not two. Let's get one back here, like the Jaguars who suck and can't be supported by their city on a regular basis, and see how it goes. The point of the stadium is to 1) host an NFL team; 2) host Super Bowls; 3) be an entertainment complex with shopping, movie theatres, restaurants, and a 5,000 seat concert theatre. NFL football is the top, but not only reason for a team. Again, let's get one back here (a willing franchise like JAX who is totally neglected by their fanbase) and see what happens.

Also, the stadium is 100% privately funded, just like Staples Center. They are going to build the stadium and adjoining complex one way or another (once the litigation is worked out with Walnut, CA) whether a team is ready to move this year or not.
That's fine. 1...but NOT 2. And the Jaguars would be the first one I would move immediately. Those fans are pathetic!

trapezeus
09-21-2009, 02:33 PM
stadiums are notoriously bad deals for local municipalities. Privately funded, i'm sure they'll take all the revenue from boxes and mega concerts and the seating plus parking.

I never buy the, "a new stadium brings people out." The same people go to the ralph as they go to a new stadium. For one day a week for 8 weeks, you get 80,000 people to sit together and hit some stores and restaurants. but it'snot worth the pricetag of $1BN.

Buffalo should always regret for putting UB in Amherst and Rich Stadium in OP. it was a killer for the city. But those aren't things that really can be moved anytime soon.

Dr. Pepper
09-21-2009, 04:41 PM
stadiums are notoriously bad deals for local municipalities. Privately funded, i'm sure they'll take all the revenue from boxes and mega concerts and the seating plus parking.

I never buy the, "a new stadium brings people out." The same people go to the ralph as they go to a new stadium. For one day a week for 8 weeks, you get 80,000 people to sit together and hit some stores and restaurants. but it'snot worth the pricetag of $1BN.

Buffalo should always regret for putting UB in Amherst and Rich Stadium in OP. it was a killer for the city. But those aren't things that really can be moved anytime soon.

im not sure i follow.... is it worth it or not? you say 8 times a year isnt enough to make it worth it, but that it wouldve been for buffalo?

trapezeus
09-21-2009, 04:52 PM
i meant that publically funded stadiums are typically sold to the public as beinga good investment because we'll get all these conventions and concerts and the games. But the cost in building the stadium greatly overshadows what tangentle revenue they bring in.

In the end, they never tally the amount of increased activity that the stadium brought in. And in the meantime the debt load is staggering for the community. The conventions don't really come flowing in. A handful of acts can pull off an outdoor stadium concert.

For buffalo, there is zero need for a new stadium. The county can't pay for it...ralph won't pay for it out of his own money. Even the NFL knows there isn't more luxury box money available so its pointless.

For LA, they can guess that they'll get more luxury boxes and that'll be profitable to the owner of the team, but how does the community benefit. Increased traffic (although in LA i don't know if it can get worse). Rowdy hordes of people. Restaurants having slightly more business for a couple times during the year.

It seems for an area to benefit from a new stadium, they have to link a convention center to it or a hotel. So that those conventions can look at meeting rooms and other amenities. I just think a footbal stadium isn't the best investment for most local communities.

Crisis
09-21-2009, 04:54 PM
http://i33.tinypic.com/xfqhwh.gif