Are Peerless Price and Lee Evans the same kind of receiver?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trapezeus
    Legendary Zoner
    • Oct 2004

Are Peerless Price and Lee Evans the same kind of receiver?

I know we've all mentioned it several times that Evans is suppose to be our number 1, but doesn't get the touches like a#1. Shouldn't number 1's bring the best out of your QBs?

Without this being a QB bashing thread, i am simply asking, do you feel like Evans is a better version of Price capable of making big plays but not really the type of receiver to have an 8-10 catch performance with a bunch of big 3rd down conversions, catches in traffic and over the middle type receptions.

He kind of is a one dimensional long ball guy that can be deadly at times, but also silenced at times.

I'm not hating on Evans, but i just see his potential as being like Lofton. But he'll need a great possession receiver to really make the engine click. He's a piece of the puzzle for sure, but when TO leaves next year, we're going to need another expensive wideout for the middle of the field.

Thoughts?
  • Forward_Lateral
    • Mar 2004

Re: Are Peerless Price and Lee Evans the same kind of receiver?

No.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
      Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
      • May 2003

Evans is fast, sure handed and a great route runner. I think he's a true number 1 whose career numbers would be much better if he hadn't spent so much time on the Bills QB carousel.
      Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• HHURRICANE
        • Mar 2005

The fact that the annoucers noticed that Edwards has to throw a horseshoe ball to Evans for him to catch is a problem.

The sonner you guys realize that Evans is not a number one WR the better.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
          • May 2003

Evans has caught balls from every QB who has ever thrown to him, including Losman and Holcomb. No one has ever had to throw him a "horse shoe" ball or anything else.

That's nonsense.
          Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
            • Mar 2004

This thread is ***** ridiculous. Evans is 1000 times the WR Price ever was. The only route Peerless could run was the 9 route.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
              Evans has caught balls from every QB who has ever thrown to him, including Losman and Holcomb. No one has ever had to throw him a "horse shoe" ball or anything else.

That's nonsense.
              Hey, it was an observation made on national TV and he's right. Edwards definately is throwing Evans a different ball than Owens.

Maybe it's a height thing!?!?

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Forward_Lateral
                This thread is ***** ridiculous. Evans is 1000 times the WR Price ever was. The only route Peerless could run was the 9 route.

Why? Evans has been non-existatnt as a number one receiver. Didn't he go 11 games without a touchdown or something stupid?

Comment

• The Jokeman
                  • Dec 2003

I've always likened Lee Evans to Terry Glenn. He's played a #1 but probably better suited as a #2. Ironically enough some of Glenn's better years came in his final seasons as a #2 to TO in Dallas.

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
                    Defies all logic
                    • Oct 2006

I think that Evans is a fantastic #2 WR, but an average #1. I've used the comparison that you're using now before, that's for sure. We have a similar WR core as to when Evans & Moulds were paired together, except that Evans has gotten better since then and Owens is Eric Moulds on steroids.

Comment

• trapezeus
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • Oct 2004

yeah, evans stats are better than peerless. And Peerless was just deadly that year with Moulds.

Evans knows what he's doing. He doesn't suck...but he can be invisible for long stretches. Not many #1 receivers can be completely invisible for long stretches. Surely Evans caught a TD this week. but his stats are pedestrian. You don't think on plays, "evans is going to be the difference maker right here, right now." When the ball is thrown in his direction you don't think, "guaranteed catch." You hold your breath.

Evans has talent. I'm not saying that he doesn't. I asking if you think he'll actually become a legitimate #1. I think he's an amazing compliment receiver. TO isn't in our long term plans. We need a guy who catches the intermediate ball over the middle. I realize that's what we have in Nelson and might have in him for a while. But Evans is quite an expensive player for his level of production over the years.

Comment

• ddaryl
                        Everything I post is sexual inuendo
                        • Jan 2005

As long as teams concentrate on Evans and TO and the Schoumans, and Reeds are making 4-8 grabs a game then having him is a benefit...

ALthough Evans is not a true #1 he is more of a 1a or 1b, he needs a TO on the other side to help tak ethe pressure off, he is no Larry Fitzgerald

I still want ot see what Johnson can offer inplace of Parrish with teams worried about Evans and TO

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Forward_Lateral
                          Price:

2002 Buffalo Bills 16 16 94 1,252 13.3 73T 9

Evans:

2006 Buffalo Bills 16 15 82 1,292 15.8 83T 8

Looks like Evans hasn't beat Price's best year here.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                            Peterman Sucks!
                            • Mar 2006

I've been saying for a few years now the only reason Evans was putting up the numbers he was is because he was literally the only weapon in the offense.

Start bringing other players along and the ball gets more spread out.

Kevin Johnson from 99-02 put up similar numbers as Evans in Cleveland. He's not even in the league anymore.

When you're the only option and the QBs main target you get stats, regardless of how good you really are.

Josh Reed is a better all around WR than Evans. If you want to go by numbers only, they're not too much far off what Evans has done lately. But when you go all around, you're talking other things like, 3rd down possession guy, blocking, intangibles.

I thought resigning Lee to a big deal was a mistake when it was done and think it's an even bigger mistake today.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                              • May 2003

Originally posted by FunTimesYaY!
                              I've been saying for a few years now the only reason Evans was putting up the numbers he was is because he was literally the only weapon in the offense.
                              I say just the opposite. The only reason that Evans doesn't have really great numbers is that he's been the victim of the Losman-Holcomb-Losman-Edwards-Losman-Edwards clown parade.

Evans has hands, speed and route running ability. Pair him with a competent QB in a professional offense, and he'd be a fine receiver.

Comment

Working...
                              X