PDA

View Full Version : Are Peerless Price and Lee Evans the same kind of receiver?

trapezeus
09-21-2009, 01:31 PM
I know we've all mentioned it several times that Evans is suppose to be our number 1, but doesn't get the touches like a#1. Shouldn't number 1's bring the best out of your QBs?

Without this being a QB bashing thread, i am simply asking, do you feel like Evans is a better version of Price capable of making big plays but not really the type of receiver to have an 8-10 catch performance with a bunch of big 3rd down conversions, catches in traffic and over the middle type receptions.

He kind of is a one dimensional long ball guy that can be deadly at times, but also silenced at times.

I'm not hating on Evans, but i just see his potential as being like Lofton. But he'll need a great possession receiver to really make the engine click. He's a piece of the puzzle for sure, but when TO leaves next year, we're going to need another expensive wideout for the middle of the field.

Thoughts?

Forward_Lateral
09-21-2009, 01:40 PM
No.

Jan Reimers
09-21-2009, 01:43 PM
Evans is fast, sure handed and a great route runner. I think he's a true number 1 whose career numbers would be much better if he hadn't spent so much time on the Bills QB carousel.

HHURRICANE
09-21-2009, 01:48 PM
The fact that the annoucers noticed that Edwards has to throw a horseshoe ball to Evans for him to catch is a problem.

The sonner you guys realize that Evans is not a number one WR the better.

Jan Reimers
09-21-2009, 01:57 PM
Evans has caught balls from every QB who has ever thrown to him, including Losman and Holcomb. No one has ever had to throw him a "horse shoe" ball or anything else.

That's nonsense.

Forward_Lateral
09-21-2009, 01:58 PM
This thread is ***** ridiculous. Evans is 1000 times the WR Price ever was. The only route Peerless could run was the 9 route.

HHURRICANE
09-21-2009, 02:04 PM
Evans has caught balls from every QB who has ever thrown to him, including Losman and Holcomb. No one has ever had to throw him a "horse shoe" ball or anything else.

That's nonsense.

Hey, it was an observation made on national TV and he's right. Edwards definately is throwing Evans a different ball than Owens.

Maybe it's a height thing!?!?

HHURRICANE
09-21-2009, 02:05 PM
This thread is ***** ridiculous. Evans is 1000 times the WR Price ever was. The only route Peerless could run was the 9 route.

Why? Evans has been non-existatnt as a number one receiver. Didn't he go 11 games without a touchdown or something stupid?

The Jokeman
09-21-2009, 02:06 PM
I've always likened Lee Evans to Terry Glenn. He's played a #1 but probably better suited as a #2. Ironically enough some of Glenn's better years came in his final seasons as a #2 to TO in Dallas.

PECKERWOOD
09-21-2009, 02:10 PM
I think that Evans is a fantastic #2 WR, but an average #1. I've used the comparison that you're using now before, that's for sure. We have a similar WR core as to when Evans & Moulds were paired together, except that Evans has gotten better since then and Owens is Eric Moulds on steroids.

trapezeus
09-21-2009, 02:15 PM
yeah, evans stats are better than peerless. And Peerless was just deadly that year with Moulds.

Evans knows what he's doing. He doesn't suck...but he can be invisible for long stretches. Not many #1 receivers can be completely invisible for long stretches. Surely Evans caught a TD this week. but his stats are pedestrian. You don't think on plays, "evans is going to be the difference maker right here, right now." When the ball is thrown in his direction you don't think, "guaranteed catch." You hold your breath.

Evans has talent. I'm not saying that he doesn't. I asking if you think he'll actually become a legitimate #1. I think he's an amazing compliment receiver. TO isn't in our long term plans. We need a guy who catches the intermediate ball over the middle. I realize that's what we have in Nelson and might have in him for a while. But Evans is quite an expensive player for his level of production over the years.

ddaryl
09-21-2009, 02:22 PM
As long as teams concentrate on Evans and TO and the Schoumans, and Reeds are making 4-8 grabs a game then having him is a benefit...

ALthough Evans is not a true #1 he is more of a 1a or 1b, he needs a TO on the other side to help tak ethe pressure off, he is no Larry Fitzgerald

I still want ot see what Johnson can offer inplace of Parrish with teams worried about Evans and TO

HHURRICANE
09-21-2009, 02:36 PM

Price:

2002 Buffalo Bills 16 16 94 1,252 13.3 73T 9

Evans:

2006 Buffalo Bills 16 15 82 1,292 15.8 83T 8

Looks like Evans hasn't beat Price's best year here.

Mr. Pink
09-21-2009, 02:43 PM
I've been saying for a few years now the only reason Evans was putting up the numbers he was is because he was literally the only weapon in the offense.

Start bringing other players along and the ball gets more spread out.

Kevin Johnson from 99-02 put up similar numbers as Evans in Cleveland. He's not even in the league anymore.

When you're the only option and the QBs main target you get stats, regardless of how good you really are.

Josh Reed is a better all around WR than Evans. If you want to go by numbers only, they're not too much far off what Evans has done lately. But when you go all around, you're talking other things like, 3rd down possession guy, blocking, intangibles.

I thought resigning Lee to a big deal was a mistake when it was done and think it's an even bigger mistake today.

Jan Reimers
09-21-2009, 03:05 PM
I've been saying for a few years now the only reason Evans was putting up the numbers he was is because he was literally the only weapon in the offense.
I say just the opposite. The only reason that Evans doesn't have really great numbers is that he's been the victim of the Losman-Holcomb-Losman-Edwards-Losman-Edwards clown parade.

Evans has hands, speed and route running ability. Pair him with a competent QB in a professional offense, and he'd be a fine receiver.

Mudflap1
09-21-2009, 03:07 PM
I say just the opposite. The only reason that Evans doesn't have really great numbers is that he's been the victim of the Losman-Holcomb-Losman-Edwards-Losman-Edwards clown parade.

Evans has hands, speed and route running ability. Pair him with a competent QB in a professional offense, and he'd be a fine receiver.

Not only that, but he's been the only main receiving threat on the team for most of that timeframe. Even the Texans have Owen Daniels to take some pressure off Andre Johnson snd their QB (Schaub) isn't too bad, with some solid offensive coaches.

Ingtar33
09-21-2009, 03:10 PM
Price had Drew Bledsoe, a wide open "nearly" run 'n shoot offense... and Eric Moulds in his prime to cover for him.

Evans has been basically on his own here in buffalo.

he's a pretty good number 1... not a great one.. and a deadly number 2.

Mr. Pink
09-21-2009, 03:12 PM

Just basing Lee off this, I'll be willing to take a stretch and be hypothetical...

Say we had a real QB from 06-08...

What do you expect Lee's numbers to look like?

100 catches? 1500 yards? 10TDs?

2006 stats - 82-1292-8

How much more is he gonna do with that, regardless of who the QB is?

Lee Evans is not Boldin, Fitzgerald, C. Johnson, Randy Moss - no matter what you're gonna say different.

Lee was JPs main target and the only real weapon...hence the numbers above. There's only so many balls to go around and when you start adding other players into the equation, they take balls away from the guy.

Jan Reimers
09-21-2009, 03:18 PM
Just basing Lee off this, I'll be willing to take a stretch and be hypothetical...

Say we had a real QB from 06-08...

What do you expect Lee's numbers to look like?

100 catches? 1500 yards? 10TDs?

2006 stats - 82-1292-8

How much more is he gonna do with that, regardless of who the QB is?

Lee Evans is not Boldin, Fitzgerald, C. Johnson, Randy Moss - no matter what you're gonna say different.

Lee was JPs main target and the only real weapon...hence the numbers above. There's only so many balls to go around and when you start adding other players into the equation, they take balls away from the guy.
Who knows? I simply like Evans as a receiver much better than you do. I'm not going to argue opinions or hypotheticals that can never be proven.

PECKERWOOD
09-21-2009, 03:21 PM
Evans is arguably the best burner in the NFL, granted not the best overall WR but in terms of stretching the field there really isn't another WR that does it better than Evans.

PECKERWOOD
09-21-2009, 03:25 PM
Bernard Berrian, Ted Ginn Jr. and Lee Evans are probably the three best burners in the league and I think Lee Evans is a better reciever than both of them. I'm glad he is locked up long term.

Mr. Pink
09-21-2009, 03:33 PM
Evans is arguably the best burner in the NFL, granted not the best overall WR but in terms of stretching the field there really isn't another WR that does it better than Evans.

Coles, Holmes, Moss - either

Plenty of WRs in this league can stretch the field and run fast.

Others can do other things on top of it.

The last buffalo fan
09-21-2009, 03:43 PM
Bernard Berrian, Ted Ginn Jr. and Lee Evans are probably the three best burners in the league and I think Lee Evans is a better reciever than both of them. I'm glad he is locked up long term.

Me too, cause I'm expecting anytime both Evan's throwback jerseys, home and away. Go Evans!!

PECKERWOOD
09-21-2009, 04:00 PM
Coles, Holmes, Moss - either

Plenty of WRs in this league can stretch the field and run fast.

Others can do other things on top of it.

Holmes is probably the only one you listed that is comparable in skill set, even so Evans has put up better stats with out as good of a supporting cast around him.

yordad
09-21-2009, 04:03 PM
The fact that the annoucers noticed that Edwards has to throw a horseshoe ball to Evans for him to catch is a problem.

The sonner you guys realize that Evans is not a number one WR the better.Dude. They never said he HAD to. If anything, they blamed Trent and said he should stop. Seriously.

Mr. Pink
09-21-2009, 04:06 PM
Holmes is probably the only one you listed that is comparable in skill set, even so Evans has put up better stats with out as good of a supporting cast around him.

When you have less of a supporting cast around you, you have more balls that go your way.

That's my entire point.

Of course Lee Evans is gonna have, well should have, better numbers than Santonio Holmes...and it has nothing to do with what player is the better player.

It's simple math.

yordad
09-21-2009, 04:11 PM
When you have less of a supporting cast around you, you have more balls that go your way.

That's my entire point.

Of course Lee Evans is gonna have, well should have, better numbers than Santonio Holmes...and it has nothing to do with what player is the better player.

It's simple math.OK, who was target more last year, Lee or Fitzgerald? Lee or Welker?

How you are blind to the fact our QB doesn't like throwing long is beyond me.

Evans is one of the most talented WRs in the league. I think he is top half out of the leagues #1s.

Your entire point is flawed. If you only have one weapon, it is easy for the D to key on him. It is simpler then simple math.

Mr. Pink
09-21-2009, 04:21 PM
OK, who was target more last year, Lee or Fitzgerald? Lee or Welker?

How you are blind to the fact our QB doesn't like throwing long is beyond me.

Evans is one of the most talented WRs in the league. I think he is top half out of the leagues #1s.

Your entire point is flawed. If you only have one weapon, it is easy for the D to key on him. It is simpler then simple math.

Lee put up 82 catches and 1200 yards in 2006.

What other weapons in the passing game were there?

Kevin Johnson put up 84 catches and 1100 yards in 2001.

What other weapons in the passing game were there?

Peerless Price 49 catches in 2006.
Jamel White 44 catches in 2001.

Meanwhile in 2008, two other players caught the amount of passes Price did basically. Lynch 47, Reed 56.

Evans went down to 63 catches 1000 yards.

There's only so many balls to go around.

When there is less playmakers and weapons, your main guy is gonna be targeted more. Which leads to him getting more touches because he has more opportunities.

When you add other weapons, you have to spread the ball around more which limits those opportunities. Unless you're one of those guys that just demands the football, which clearly, Lee is not.

Fact of the matter is, Lee Evans simply is not an upper echelon WR.

And right now, I'd arguably say he's the 3rd best WR on the team meanwhile he gets paid the most.

sdbillsfan2
09-21-2009, 04:27 PM
" but not really the type of receiver to have an 8-10 catch performance with a bunch of big 3rd down conversions, catches in traffic and over the middle type receptions. "

In order to have an 8-10 catch performance, isn't it reasonable to say he has to be thrown to at least 8-10 times?
Who's fault is that ? The qb ? the OC, . Same goes for TO. Some how , some way ALL our receivers need to to used more. The good thing is, it's still early enough to correct . The bad thing is unless DJ really lets AVP open up the offense it won't really matter what number you slap on the guy.

trapezeus
09-21-2009, 04:39 PM
when it's third down, do you ever think, "they are going to launch it into triple coverage if need be and evans will come down with the ball?"

I don't have that thought with evans. Again, i'm not arguing that he's not good. he's good. but he is an expensive deadly number 2. Once this year passes, we still need a veteran of TO's stature to make Evans a legit killer threat. Just the way Peerless was deadly with moulds and a bit pedestrian on his own.

sdbillsfan2
09-21-2009, 04:50 PM
I would hope we would have some kind of remedy for triple coverage. Are all the top wrs tripled covered constantly? Until you make the defense pay for triple covering your go to guy, they'll continue to do it won't they ?
Plus , I thought TO was suppose to open up the field for Lee. Wasn't that the general consensus?

IAG
09-21-2009, 04:52 PM
Lee Evans is a stud. I think he can be Steve Smith.

Mike
09-21-2009, 04:52 PM
Here is your Answere:

Historically, no matter the conditions (eg: QB, OC, Team, etc...) , Great WR Produce!!!
Here are a few recent examples:

Isac Bruse did with the Rams before they had
Holt and Warner,

Andre Johnson did very well even when he was the only real
weapon and had David Carr throwing to him, and

Calvin Johnson is doing it on a
Detroit Team that went 0-16... So it is possible for a Great Talented WR to show
his talents even in the worst conditions and it has been done before!

There are many more examples!!!

As for Evens, I agree with him being compared to T.Glenn. He was great when there was another Big Possession WR next to him.

Both FunTymes and Yorda make a good point. It is true that the only weapon on a bad will get more balls thrown his way and have inflated states, see Christ Chambers.

The same exact arguments were made with him. The argument was that he was a true #1 wr on a bad team. Others said that his states were inflated due to the fact he was the only real weapon. they said that he had a bad noodle armed Qb and who knows how he would do if he was on a good team.

Well, it so happened that the was traded to the Chargers. Looking at his stats, he is NOT a #1, he had his best season in 2005 with Miami. Fact is that in that season, he was targeted far more than he is now. Now, there are more balls to go around and he gets less of them.

Now Yorda does make a good point. If you look at his game by game stats, when Miami faced good Teams in 2005 (like NE) Chambers probably disappeared, like Evens, when they faced bad teams (like Buffalo) Chambers went off on them to the tune of a few hundred yards and a few TD'a, like Evens does against bad teams.

Night Train
09-21-2009, 04:55 PM
Evans can make every catch and is feerless. He's also been the victim of horrid QB play here during his career.

Peerless short armed 150 potential catches and was completely gutless. I couldn't stand him.

Mike
09-21-2009, 05:06 PM
I would compare Evens to: T. Glenn, Coles, Holmes, Moss even J. Gallaway

Right NOW, He is Not as good as Steve Smith, Barndon Marshal, etc...

Here is a complete list:

Tier 1 (What Are Tiers?)
1. Randy Moss, WR New England
2. Larry Fitzgerald, WR Arizona
3. Reggie Wayne, WR Indianapolis
----------------------------

Tier 2
4. Greg Jennings, WR Green Bay
5. Andre Johnson, WR Houston
6. Calvin Johnson, WR Detroit

Tier 3
7. Marques Colston, WR New Orleans
8. Steve Smith, WR Carolina
9. Roddy White, WR Atlanta
10. Terrell Owens, WR Dallas
11. Anquan Boldin, WR Arizona

Tier 4
12. Wes Welker, WR New England
13. Roy Williams, WR Dallas
14. Dwayne Bowe, WR Kansas City
15. Santonio Holmes, WR Pittsburgh
16. Brandon Marshall, WR Denver
17. Anthony Gonzalez, WR Indianapolis
18. Antonio Bryant, WR Tampa Bay

Tier 5
19. T.J. Houshmandzadeh, WR Seattle
20. Braylon Edwards, WR Cleveland
21. Chad Ochocinco, WR Cincinnati
22. Vincent Jackson, WR San Diego

Tier 6
23. DeSean Jackson, WR Philadelphia
24. Bernard Berrian, MIN
25. Lance Moore, WR New Orleans
26. Lee Evans, WR Buffalo
27. Torry Holt, WR Jacksonville
28. Laveranues Coles, WR Cincinnati
29. Kevin Walter, WR Houston
30. Santana Moss, WR Washington
31. Hines Ward, WR Pittsburgh
32. Donald Driver, WR Green Bay

Michael82
09-21-2009, 05:58 PM
I think he's an amazing compliment receiver. TO isn't in our long term plans. We need a guy who catches the intermediate ball over the middle. I realize that's what we have in Nelson and might have in him for a while. But Evans is quite an expensive player for his level of production over the years.

That's why I'm hoping that Hardy will recover from his injury and take some of the advice he was getting from T.O. to become a solid #2 opposite Evans next year. If not...then maybe that will be Steve Johnson.

Michael82
09-21-2009, 06:01 PM
Lee Evans is a stud. I think he can be Steve Smith.
He just isn't used right. Just like many other players on our team....

The last buffalo fan
09-21-2009, 06:10 PM
He just isn't used right. Just like many other players on our team....

Give me Manning brother's OC, not them as Qbs, or the one Smith has in Carolina, no wait, the one that Arizona has. Hopefully AVP knows how to use him. I'm sick of the Bills fans that are never happy with the great players we have on our roster. :gobills:

Mad Bomber
09-21-2009, 06:49 PM
I would compare Evens to: T. Glenn, Coles, Holmes, Moss even J. Gallaway

Right NOW, He is Not as good as Steve Smith, Barndon Marshal, etc...

Here is a complete list:

Tier 1 (What Are Tiers?)
1. Randy Moss, WR New England
2. Larry Fitzgerald, WR Arizona
3. Reggie Wayne, WR Indianapolis

Tiers are how fantasy football teams rank potential fantasy points in a fantasy league.

What is the common thread linking the Tier 1 receivers? The QB. Tom Brady, Kurt Warner, and Peyton Manning.

It is (to quote Thurm) REDICULOUS to question a receiver's ability based on fantasy football numbers.

Lee Evans hasn't had a good QB or good #2 opposite him to give him the fantasy stats as other receivers. It doesn't make him less of a receiver. Imagine if he were on the Patriots, Colts, Cardinals, or Saints. His numbers would be off the charts.

The whole premise of this thread is flawed.

PECKERWOOD
09-21-2009, 09:46 PM
That list is bull**** Mike.

justasportsfan
09-21-2009, 09:50 PM

The sonner you guys realize that Evans is not a number one WR the better.
another stupid post. you're on a roll

justasportsfan
09-21-2009, 09:54 PM
the reason why Evans isn't getting the ball is because trent doesn't throw the type of ball that best suits Evans .