PDA

View Full Version : I think we can beat the Saints.

BillsWin
09-21-2009, 09:18 PM
I think it will all come down to the offense clicking and some consistent pressure on Brees.

I think the Bills are one of those teams that will have a few wins this year that they weren't supposed to. They will be one of those teams that has some explosiveness on offense, while keeping it balanced and they will play consistent defense with flashes of stoutness.

Maybe the New Orleans game is the one the Bills run away with. :idunno:

We kicked the Pats asses for three and half quarters and should have won the game if not for one costly turnover.

We were clearly the better team in our second game.

Our run defense is crazy good and our pass rush seems to be gaining momentum since the preseason.

Color me crazy but I think if the Bills can attack the Saints through the air (28th in the league in pass defense.) I think we can hang with them to a certain extent.

Its our defense that will have to win this one. If we can hold them to 24 points or less, it is my opinion that we have a shot at moving to 2-1 with a chance at beating Miami and then Cleveland heading into a monster of a game versus the Jets.

This was one of the games I marked off as a loss in my season predictions, but after seeing how balanced and efficient the no-huddle has been (and it is still a work in progress), and after reading that Owens' confidence in the team and in Edwards is improving every day, and after seeing that we have a top ten rush defense through two games (both with not bad rushers) it seems like we have a small chance.

But Brees is a machine. We got to knock him down early and often and maybe jump a few routes. Take some risks and go for the interception.

I don't know, what do you guys think? Can the Bills beat the Saints in B-Lo?

BillsWin
09-21-2009, 09:18 PM
We have to play better than we did week one.

THATHURMANATOR
09-21-2009, 09:23 PM
I will have to admit the Saints look WAAAAAY better than I thought they would be. Will be a very tough game. Any word on Leodis?

TigerJ
09-21-2009, 09:32 PM
We have to play better than we did week one.I think the Bills will have to play better than they did in week two too. Everything clicked in the first and fourth quarters, but looked messy in the second. They started to recover in the third. I think they'll need four good quarters to bet the Saints. They need an efficient offense that has some long drives to go with some big plays. And they'll need to get more consistent pressure on Brees throughout the game.

BillsWin
09-21-2009, 09:40 PM
I will have to admit the Saints look WAAAAAY better than I thought they would be. Will be a very tough game. Any word on Leodis?

Its hush hush my friend. espn hasnt received a sniff of info. I can tell you that the Bills will be looking to make several roster moves within a few days.

Hemlepp53
09-21-2009, 09:47 PM
I think it will all come down to the offense clicking and some consistent pressure on Brees.

BillsWin... I am with ya Brother... We got this. Offense needs to be error free and we need to strech the field. The Pass Rush must be on Full Force.

Greg Williams is the D Cord. We all know what he is about. We got a shot and I think our D will step it up but Trent and Team will come through to keep the points close....

Defensive TD wins the game....

BillsWin
09-21-2009, 09:53 PM
I did some research Thurm.

Apparently McKelvin's injury is still being evaluated by the training staff. Some of the pain is gone today, but they are still looking at it.

Jauron seems to think Wed. is when we find out more about McKelvin, Schouman and Nelson.

I doubt McKelvin is out more than a few weeks (if he even sits at all.), but with ankles you have got to be careful its real easy to land on a wobbly ankle wrong and hurt it even more.

Prov401
09-21-2009, 09:55 PM

I think the Bills are one of those teams that will have a few wins this year that they weren't supposed to. They will be one of those teams that has some explosiveness on offense, while keeping it balanced and they will play consistent defense with flashes of stoutness.

Maybe the New Orleans game is the one the Bills run away with. :idunno:

We kicked the Pats asses for three and half quarters and should have won the game if not for one costly turnover.

We were clearly the better team in our second game.

Our run defense is crazy good and our pass rush seems to be gaining momentum since the preseason.

Color me crazy but I think if the Bills can attack the Saints through the air (28th in the league in pass defense.) I think we can hang with them to a certain extent.

Its our defense that will have to win this one. If we can hold them to 24 points or less, it is my opinion that we have a shot at moving to 2-1 with a chance at beating Miami and then Cleveland heading into a monster of a game versus the Jets.

This was one of the games I marked off as a loss in my season predictions, but after seeing how balanced and efficient the no-huddle has been (and it is still a work in progress), and after reading that Owens' confidence in the team and in Edwards is improving every day, and after seeing that we have a top ten rush defense through two games (both with not bad rushers) it seems like we have a small chance.

But Brees is a machine. We got to knock him down early and often and maybe jump a few routes. Take some risks and go for the interception.

I think the Bills are very capable of winning this game. The Saint's D is bad. Buffalo needs to air it out a bit in this one. We MUST stop the Saints on 3rd downs. The Pats and Bucs were able to get a few key 3rd downs against us, that ended in scoring drives. I hate the way the Bills play their corners so far off, and I think it could hurt us big time in this game. I have confidence in Reggie Corner, if he is indeed called upon this weekend. I would love to see what Youboty could do, but Mckelvin hopefully can suit up.

To beat top QB's you absolutley have to get a pass rush. We need to blitz the Saints this weekend, early and often. If we can get them to punt at least 4 times, that is a win in my book. I have a feeling this game is going to look like a 38-34 type deal. People have to start talking about Buffalo being ranked in the tops on offense. IMO, Saints are number 1, but we are most surely in the top 10. Buffalo has aimed to stop the run first, and it should be no different in this game. Which means Brees will have 40 or more attempts. It kind of scares me to see what Leftwich did to us, as he isn't even a top 15 QB. Our CB's need to step up. I think Mcgee is having a so-so year, and isn't as great as people say he is. I love his tackling, but he plays too far off at times, and let's up big gains. One thing about our D is, we are doing one heck of a job on not allowing any YAC.

This should be a fun one. In order, this game relies on Buffalo's: D-Line, CB's, O-Line, Trent, Fred.

kelly2reed4six
09-21-2009, 10:01 PM
I think Red Zone efficiency is HUGE in this game. We went 0-4 in the redzone against the bucs and had to settle for field goals. We left 16 points on the field which cannot happen against a Drew Brees controlled offense! If we have better RZ efficiency we can def. win this game!

BillsWin
09-21-2009, 10:04 PM
I like it. we have some BILLievers in the thread.

jdbillsfan
09-21-2009, 10:06 PM
The Saints aren't going to win all of their games.

BillsWin
09-21-2009, 10:08 PM
The Saints aren't going to win all of their games.

:jig:

DraftBoy
09-21-2009, 10:10 PM
The Bills certainly CAN win the game, but New Orleans offense has been deadly so far and Brees has looked incredible. If we don't produce a solid consistent pass rush I dont know how we beat them. We have to get to Brees to win the game. New Orleans has the ability to put up 40 on us.

BillsWin
09-21-2009, 10:12 PM
The Bills certainly CAN win the game, but New Orleans offense has been deadly so far and Brees has looked incredible. If we don't produce a solid consistent pass rush I dont know how we beat them. We have to get to Brees to win the game. New Orleans has the ability to put up 40 on us.

I enjoy your input in my threads. Where were you all summer DB?

Oaf
09-21-2009, 10:42 PM
It's gonna be an emotional game for Greer. My bet is that he shuts his side down for the better part of the game.

DraftBoy
09-21-2009, 10:48 PM
I enjoy your input in my threads. Where were you all summer DB?

Colorado, Washington, Egypt, and back to Atlanta.

Personal time away and a finding oneself trip.

paladin warrior
09-21-2009, 10:50 PM
How?

Prov401
09-21-2009, 10:54 PM
It's gonna be an emotional game for Greer. My bet is that he shuts his side down for the better part of the game.

Totally forgot he was with them.

DraftBoy
09-21-2009, 10:55 PM
How?

By scoring more than their opponent, is always one option.

BillsWin
09-21-2009, 10:59 PM

Wow. I hope you had a good time.

DraftBoy
09-21-2009, 11:01 PM
Wow. I hope you had a good time.

Amazing time, I highly recommend hiking around the Rockies and going to see the Pyramids to anybody. It will change your life!

BillsWin
09-21-2009, 11:08 PM
Amazing time, I highly recommend hiking around the Rockies and going to see the Pyramids to anybody. It will change your life!

I would imagine!

Romes
09-21-2009, 11:14 PM

I visited Egypt in January. Luxor to Aswan. It was amazing. I definitely advise anyone with the opportunity to go. It is inspiring what mankind was able to achieve 3,000+ years ago.

Back to the topic at hand. At home, we have a chance against anyone but it'll definitely be tough. I don't have much confidence our D can hold them to less than 30 and I'm not confident our O can put up 26+ points two weekends in a row.

I'd love for them to prove me wrong. They owe us a surprising victory after what happened week 1.

paladin warrior
09-22-2009, 12:41 AM
IF Bill"s win.. 2-1

If Jet's Lose VS Tenn 2-1

If N.E Lose again VS Falcon's 2-2

If Fishbreath lose again VS Charger's 0-3

Bills must win and Work hard with pratice. Must preaure with QB and Stay closer to WR.

GO BILL's!!!!!

SABuffalo786
09-22-2009, 12:50 AM
Early forecast calls for rain on Sunday. Maybe that slows their passing game down a little bit. I know we can defintely adapt with Jackson playing out of his mind and Trent excelling at the underneath stuff.

MoormansDaMan
09-22-2009, 04:21 AM
If we go up against the jets with only 1 loss, that game will be HUGGGGGE

LtFinFan66
09-22-2009, 05:51 AM
if you can score 40 you have a shot

ddaryl
09-22-2009, 06:13 AM
I know we can beat the Saints. It's a matter of will we...

Luisito23
09-22-2009, 06:36 AM
I know we can beat the Saints. It's a matter of will we...

With the way Brees is playing right now I would have to say it highly unlikely, but then again we are playing home, and who knows maybe he'll have a bad day and throw a couple of crucial picks...I don't expect Buffalo to win, but it definitely would not surprise me.

Dujek
09-22-2009, 07:05 AM
if you can score 40 you have a shot

If Owens had held that pass he dropped on Sunday we'd have had 40 there, so anything's possible...

NO has a horrible pass D, we have two excellent deep threats and a bunch of guys who can make plays underneath. If we can keep the Saints to under 30 points we really should be able to beat them.

Meathead
09-22-2009, 07:18 AM
three things that have me encouraged:

- NO is far better at home than on the road

- DB and esp CB is clearly the strongest unit on the bills d. combine that with a stout run defense and NO might become predicably one-dimensional on offense

- it is absolutely impossible they will average the 46.5 ppg as they are so far. so at at some point they are going to have to have score around 13.5 points for a couple games just to get back to a very good season average of 30ppg

im not saying the bills will win but there are some reasons to feel optimistic they have a good shot

and i will add one more thing:

- the bills fans were as dedicated as i have ever seen them for the bucs game - standing most of the game (which i dont like cuz im a cripple but kay sarah), screaming their lungs out every key play, it was almost playoff intense. if they do that against NO, which i suspect they will, its going to be very tough for the aints offense to make a lot of changes at the line

mysticsoto
09-22-2009, 07:52 AM
three things that have me encouraged:

- NO is far better at home than on the road

- DB and esp CB is clearly the strongest unit on the bills d. combine that with a stout run defense and NO might become predicably one-dimensional on offense

- it is absolutely impossible they will average the 46.5 ppg as they are so far. so at at some point they are going to have to have score around 13.5 points for a couple games just to get back to a very good season average of 30ppg

im not saying the bills will win but there are some reasons to feel optimistic they have a good shot

and i will add one more thing:

- the bills fans were as dedicated as i have ever seen them for the bucs game - standing most of the game (which i dont like cuz im a cripple but kay sarah), screaming their lungs out every key play, it was almost playoff intense. if they do that against NO, which i suspect they will, its going to be very tough for the aints offense to make a lot of changes at the line

Well I'll disagree with some of this:

- CBs may be our strongest individually, but playing as a unit in our D, they are played off the WRs too much and are short. Our strongest unit is our run D up front on the Dline.

- It is impossible to average 46.5 points? I don't see why it is impossible. Maybe you mean unlikely.

I will say this, the keys to winning will be ball control from the offense and turnovers from the D. And I would activate and use McIntyre alot this game. That is his thing, earning the short yardage. I'd spell FJ with him this game instead of Omon. And we absolutely cannot settle for FGs over TDs. When we get to the red zone, we HAVE to punch it in!!!

THATHURMANATOR
09-22-2009, 07:55 AM
The only reason we have a chance is because it is a home game. I am hoping for very windy conditions and some rain.

Dujek
09-22-2009, 07:59 AM
The only reason we have a chance is because it is a home game. I am hoping for very windy conditions and some rain.

What happened to your optimism?

We lose to the Pats and you become Mr Optimistic, we put together a good win and you're all "Well we might win if the weather helps us a bit".

The Bills are going to go medieval on the Saints and bury Brees under a pile of fat bodies.

THATHURMANATOR
09-22-2009, 08:00 AM
Early forecast calls for rain on Sunday. Maybe that slows their passing game down a little bit. I know we can defintely adapt with Jackson playing out of his mind and Trent excelling at the underneath stuff.
LOVE IT RAIN AWAY!!!!

Bell and Thomas both have knee issues too.

The Crowd is going to have to be insane.

Bruce is Loose
09-22-2009, 08:11 AM
Saints weren't even favored last week - then they explode another week and suddenly they are best in the NFL - experts (and us) are so easily swayed. Any week in the NFL anyone can win - ESPECIALLY this early in the year while teams are still finding themselves. Remember when we were 2-0 a few years ago and ranked in the top one or two in most power polls? How did that season end?

Lets play our game and hope we play well enough to beat a good team... and maybe we see something in the Saints games that can be exploited. A bounce here and a bounce there...

GO BILLS

ddaryl
09-22-2009, 08:12 AM
By scoring more than their opponent, is always one option.\

You should be in the booth as a color commentator.

"Ya Know, they are down by 6, all they have to do is score a TD and make the extra point and they will be in the lead"

justasportsfan
09-22-2009, 08:28 AM
Our db's are going to have to have the game of their lives. Blitz Brees and cover well. Control TOP by keeping Brees off the field by running the ball and we have a shot.

Saratoga Slim
09-22-2009, 08:34 AM

Saratoga Slim
09-22-2009, 08:39 AM
Our db's are going to have to have the game of their lives. Blitz Brees and cover well. Control TOP by keeping Brees off the field by running the ball and we have a shot.

Exactly - I think we win this not by trying to keep up with Brees in a shootout, but by running effectively and keeping Brees off the field. As much as it pains me to use team "Fishbreath" (props to Paladin Warrior) as an example of anything positive - their offense absolutely dominated the TOP last night. Peyton only had three plays in the third quarter!!

I think that's the kind of game we need to play, and I think we certainly can. we've been running well and Trent prefers the short passing game. Only question is how the no huddle works into the equation - effective as it's been, it does put our defense on the field for longer.

TheBrownBear
09-22-2009, 08:43 AM
I think we have a chance only because New Orleans hasn't really been tested. Detroit sucks and Philadelphia is overrated and playing without their leader. The Bills played a very good game on the road and then beat up on a bad team at home. This is a litmus test game for both teams, imo.

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
09-22-2009, 08:47 AM
The Bills need to do three major things to have a shot at winning this game.

1)Have sustained, well balanced, productive drives. This will keep the ball out of Brees' hands and keep us in the game till the end.

2)Make big plays on Defense. I believe we will need at minimum a +2 turnover ratio to stay with the Saints.

3)Avoid stupid penalties. IF we are able to play with the Saints, penalties could tip the balance in their favor easily.

If you asked me today---would you rather play the Pats or the Saints this coming week....it is a much more difficult decision than it would have been in the preseason....but I think I still would take my chances against the Saints.

trapezeus
09-22-2009, 09:26 AM
Obviously we have to have effective blitzing. Last game t here were times the Bills would bring a blitz and it'd take four seconds. Luckily the bucs WR's stink and Leftwich throws an ugly ball. In effective blitzing with our DB's going one on one is not going to work. So i'm guessing the Bills will bring the house early going and then if they get burned they'll go into the bend but don't break.

The offense really has to bring their running shoes and go blow for blow with the saints. I have a feeling that it's really going to come down to which team gets a stop that wins the game.

Also i am with Billswin on this one. i actually think the bills are going to be surprsiningly competitive in this one with a chance to win.

psubills62
09-22-2009, 10:45 AM
Two things:

1) Run the ball. We need to keep Brees off the field. Make him antsy and hopefully force a couple three and outs, which would make him even more antsy and force his hand into making mistakes. Jumping out to an early lead would really help.

2) Get turnovers on D and prevent them on O. New Orleans has done very well but the main reason they've blown out opponents is turnovers. They have gotten at least 7 turnovers through two games. That is a pace they won't keep up.

This is a game I really, really wish we had Lynch for. With him and Jackson both, I think we could tire out their defense with the run game. I think their defense is underrated in some ways, but I do think we'll be able to run the ball with limited success.

I will always billieve they can win...but I don't expect them to win this one. I don't think it will be as high scoring as people believe. Here's hoping for an unexpected win!

BillsWin
09-22-2009, 11:33 AM
I think we have a chance only because New Orleans hasn't really been tested. Detroit sucks and Philadelphia is overrated and playing without their leader. The Bills played a very good game on the road and then beat up on a bad team at home. This is a litmus test game for both teams, imo.

They have yet to be hit in the mouth yet. The Bills may be the one to do that.

Dr. Lecter
09-22-2009, 11:43 AM
One thing that has not been mentiond yet is special teams. It is time for them to make a play. They were close with the gimmick punt return (if Youboty had caught the lateral he very possibly was gone and he still gained 16 yards), but it is time for them to make a big play.

A return, blocked kick, creating a turn over, a successful trick play, etc. That could result in a big swing in momentum and give the Bills (or take away the points from the Saints) the team needs.

ddaryl
09-22-2009, 11:53 AM
Our Defense is the key

10 yard cushion pass D will be the nail in the Bills coffin. This game is going to be on Fewell's shoulders. He has to have the D ready and in position to make game changing plays.

mysticsoto
09-22-2009, 12:39 PM
We basically need to do what Miami tried to do to the Colts yesterday, except we actually have to finish also. Miami screwed up at the end of the game - much like we did with the Patriots.

HHURRICANE
09-22-2009, 12:44 PM
After watching the Tampa game it made me realize that we just aren't that good.

This would be a much bigger upset than beating the "so far mediocre" Pats.

THATHURMANATOR
09-22-2009, 12:46 PM
After watching the Tampa game it made me realize that we just aren't that good.

This would be a much bigger upset than beating the "so far mediocre" Pats.
So you watched a game that we pretty much dominated and that lead you to believe we aren't very good.

You are a strange individual.

mybills
09-22-2009, 12:59 PM
NO is better coached than Buffalo. It will take a miracle for us to win. I really hope everyone has their voice back from the Bucs game, and is ready to scream like crazy again, because we're gonna need every little edge we can get against that offense. I'll be praying.
:gobills:

JD
09-22-2009, 01:01 PM
#1 passing offense vs. #31 passing defense

We lose.

JD
09-22-2009, 01:09 PM

Did you smoke any magic stuff in deep forests?

HHURRICANE
09-22-2009, 02:11 PM
So you watched a game that we pretty much dominated and that lead you to believe we aren't very good.

We beat a team that did not play very well. Do you not agree with that?

It was entertaining to watch but nobody walked away saying "wow, this team looks like a contender".

We beat a team that we were favored to beat.

A Saints win would be much more significant.

JD
09-22-2009, 02:20 PM
I just hope we don't lose in the final seconds, my heart cant take that **** with all the Duffs and Mighty I've been downing lately..

Dr. Lecter
09-22-2009, 02:34 PM
We beat a team that did not play very well. Do you not agree with that?

It was entertaining to watch but nobody walked away saying "wow, this team looks like a contender".

We beat a team that we were favored to beat.

A Saints win would be much more significant.

That is different than saying the Bills did not play well and that they are not that good.

But I agree with the rest. The Saints are a real test.

And who has declared them a contender so far? I really don't think there are many (if any) that have done so.

DynaPaul
09-22-2009, 04:24 PM
Since I'll be at this game we're guaranteed to lose! I can only hope that they keep it close. I'm bringing my girlfriend, who is a Steelers fan, to her first NFL game. Please, Buffalo don't embarrass me too bad in front of her!

Typ0
09-22-2009, 04:32 PM
That is different than saying the Bills did not play well and that they are not that good.

But I agree with the rest. The Saints are a real test.

And who has declared them a contender so far? I really don't think there are many (if any) that have done so.

If we played well the game would have been put away early in the third quarter. Playing well is playing with command of your game. I didn't see us doing that against the BUCS who weren't playing well.

Devin
09-22-2009, 04:37 PM
As much as I hate saying it we simply wont win this game.

Drew Brees is friggin' possessed, and defensivley we are a horrible matchup with the saints. We simply cant cover every weapon they have (which is everyone not playing OL), and Brees is so good at making a star out of almost anyone. And getting pressure on the least sacked QB in football is a tall order.

And we will not win a shootout. While I believe we will hang some points on them even our offense will have to have a pretty strong game.

We played as complete a game as ive seen us play in a long time against the Pats and lost, mostly because we havent figured out how to finish games yet (for a decade now) and the Saints I think would come close to absolutely dismantling the Pats as well as they are playing currently.

While id love nothing more than to be wrong, this one isnt happening. And no amount of rose colored glasses or hypothetical scenarios will change that.

DraftBoy
09-22-2009, 05:38 PM
Did you smoke any magic stuff in deep forests?

Never done an illegal drug in my life and never will.

Nighthawk
09-22-2009, 05:47 PM

We did not come close to dominating that game.

Meathead
09-22-2009, 06:22 PM
the bills dominated most of the first half and if it werent for fjacks alleyoop fumble they most likely would have went to the half with a sixteen point lead

then they looked flat as hell after halftime until te connected with to for the td and played even after that to win pretty comfortably

id say it was pretty close to dominating overall but maybe just short of that

tampabay25690
09-22-2009, 06:32 PM
Best part about this game.........
Its played at the the Ralph...............Quote from a Bucanneer player loudest stadium he has ever played in....