PDA

View Full Version : Bills to sign T Jamon Meredith

The Spaz
09-22-2009, 12:31 PM
Bills to sign T Jamon Meredith from Packers practice squad. Both teams could use a tackle, actually.

http://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora

Nighthawk
09-22-2009, 12:33 PM
Wow, talk about mediocrity...this is the best tackle you could find to fill such an important position? Sorry, but this has got Cheap Ralphy written all over it!

SABURZFAN
WOW!!!!!!!! i remember some people around here wanted the Bills to draft him.

The Spaz
http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/jamon-meredith?id=71397

Pinkerton Security
09-22-2009, 12:34 PM
Was a 5th rounder, rated as a nice sleeper prospect and SURPRISE SURPRISE he has good knowledge of multiple positions and is flexible in that fashion...we just love our multi-dimensional linemen

Nighthawk
09-22-2009, 12:35 PM
Was a 5th rounder, rated as a nice sleeper prospect and SURPRISE SURPRISE he has good knowledge of multiple positions and is flexible in that fashion...we just love our multi-dimensional linemen

And the most important thing is...he's cheap!

justasportsfan
Looks like athleticism over fat slobs is the way we're going.

mikemac2001
Championship!

Pinkerton Security

oh and he's also known for his intelligence.

i think this was a good pickup...as long as they are happy with him not starting. I think they are fine with Jon Scott in there, after he performed pretty well against Tampa.

Pinkerton Security
09-22-2009, 12:36 PM
And the most important thing is...he's cheap!

thats too. But still, at least hes not an undrafted backup out of Division III Joes College...he is a decent prospect, albeit one that will require some grooming.

Pinkerton Security
09-22-2009, 12:37 PM
<table class="tablehead" width="100%" border="0" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tbody><tr><td colspan="3" class="stathead">Overall Football Traits</td></tr><tr class="oddrow"><td width="15%">Production</td><td width="5%" align="center">2</td><td width="80%">Meredith appeared in just one game and NCAA later granted him a red shirt year with the stipulation that he sit out the first two games of the 2008 season. He started four games at right tackle in 2005. Meredith started all 13 games  seven at right tackle and six at left tackle  in 2006. He started all 12 games at left tackle in 2007. Meredith started nine of the 11 games he appeared in during the 2008 season and lined up at left tackle and left guard.</td></tr><tr class="evenrow"><td width="15%">Height-Weight-Speed</td><td width="5%" align="center">2</td><td width="80%">Adequate bulk, adequate height and above-average top-end speed.</td></tr><tr class="oddrow"><td width="15%">Durability</td><td width="5%" align="center">2</td><td width="80%">Injured ankle during 2008 preseason and re-injured it later in the year. Ankle injury limited him in three games but he didn't miss any games.</td></tr><tr class="evenrow"><td width="15%">Intangibles</td><td width="5%" align="center">1</td><td width="80%">Presented the Andrew Sorensen Scholar-Athlete Award for Football during the 2006 spring game. Named the Outstanding Offensive Lineman in the spring of 2007. An ESPN The Magazine Academic All-District selection in 2007. Earned the Harold White GPA Award for the offense in the spring of 2008. Graduated with a degree in Sports Management and a 3.7 GPA in August of 2008. Has shown a willingness to line up at different positions.</td></tr></tbody></table><table class="tablehead" width="100%" border="0" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tbody><tr></tr><tr><td colspan="3" class="stathead">Offensive Tackle specific Traits</td></tr><tr class="oddrow"><td width="15%">Strength/Toughness</td><td width="5%" align="center">3</td><td width="80%">Plays with an edge, appears to have adequate lower body strength and flashes the ability to finish blocks though inconsistent in this area. Shows above-average upper body strength in the weight room but rarely delivers a violent initial punch.</td></tr><tr class="evenrow"><td width="15%">Agility</td><td width="5%" align="center">2</td><td width="80%">Overall agility is not elite but better than average. A quick, balanced athlete with good lateral mobility for size.</td></tr><tr class="oddrow"><td width="15%">Awareness</td><td width="5%" align="center">2</td><td width="80%">Excellent experience playing at the highest collegiate level. Knows assignments and rarely shows hesitation. Especially skilled at recognizing blitzes/stunts in pass protection.</td></tr><tr class="evenrow"><td width="15%">Pass Protection</td><td width="5%" align="center">2</td><td width="80%">Gets set quickly and gets excellent hand placement. Adequate arm length, locks arms out and can ride edge rushers past the pocket. Good balance and shows above-average body control but overextends on occasion and going to have a harder time recovering at the NFL level than did at the collegiate level. Doesn't always sink hips low enough and struggles to anchor working against powerful bull rushers.</td></tr><tr class="oddrow"><td width="15%">Run Blocking</td><td width="5%" align="center">3</td><td width="80%">Rarely takes false steps and generally gets into excellent initial position but doesn't always stay lowing coming out of stance and has some problems rooting defenders off the ball when plays too high. Takes sound angles to downfield blocks and flashes the ability to get into position at the second level. However, base narrows and doesn't show the same body control in space as he does in the short area so he has some problems sustaining downfield blocks.</td></tr></tbody></table><table class="tablehead" width="30%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tbody><tr><td colspan="5" class="stathead">Trait Scale</td></tr><tr class="oddrow"><td>1 = Exceptional</td><td>2 = Above average</td><td>3 = Average</td><td>4 = Below average</td><td>5 = Marginal</td></tr></tbody></table><!-- sp-col2 starts --><!-- sp-col2 ends --> <!-- begin jumper -->

Nighthawk
09-22-2009, 12:39 PM
thats too. But still, at least hes not an undrafted backup out of Division III Joes College...he is a decent prospect, albeit one that will require some grooming.

He doesn't address the problem and if this organization was serious about winning, then they would bring in a proven commodity, like Runyan, to fill that RT spot this year. I don't like the move at all. I'm not saying he isn't a good prospect, but do we really need another prospect backing up Scott??? Uggh, the mediocrity of this organization is painful!

cocamide
09-22-2009, 12:40 PM
Wow, talk about mediocrity...this is the best tackle you could find to fill such an important position? Sorry, but this has got Cheap Ralphy written all over it!

What non-mediocre players are available during the third week of the season?

hydro
09-22-2009, 12:42 PM

Only ones that are most likely washed up but are household names.

HHURRICANE
09-22-2009, 12:42 PM
Classic Bills. We are fighting for 8 wins obvioulsy.

justasportsfan
09-22-2009, 12:43 PM
looks like a project is gonna back up our experiment (Scott). Hopefully it works.

Pinkerton Security
09-22-2009, 12:43 PM

exactly. I'm not big on bringing in Runyan at all. Id honestly rather have Walker back, but there isnt much out there. i think grabbing a fairly well-thought of 5th round prospect from a team's PS is a pretty good move.

Nighthawk
09-22-2009, 12:44 PM

Runyan, Tauscher...should I continue???

Mr. Miyagi
09-22-2009, 12:45 PM
I live half hour from Green Bay and I've never heard of him.

Who?

alohabillsfan
Yea, lets go get the vet nobody else wants either, please....

Nighthawk

They may not be the answer for the future, but we're not talking about the future..we're talking about coming in and holding down the RT spot for this year and being solid. There are players that are better able to do that then the guy they signed.

Michael82
09-22-2009, 12:46 PM
And I wonder why they are available. Could it possibly be that they don't have anything left in the tank anymore and would struggle in our offense where the OTs have to be fast and athletic?

Noooo...it couldn't be that. :rolleyes:

Pinkerton Security
09-22-2009, 12:47 PM
And I wonder why they are available. Could it possibly be that they don't have anything left in the tank anymore and would struggle in our offense where the OTs have to be fast and athletic?

impossible.

Nighthawk
09-22-2009, 12:48 PM

Wow, Mikey...I know that you're a homer, but you seriously don't think they could hold down the position better for this year then a guy on the practice squad? Seriously???

ddaryl
09-22-2009, 12:48 PM
I can say one thing

They did a heluva a job drafting Wood and Levitre... maybe they see something similiar in this guy.

That's about the only positve I can spin with right now.. .Vet depth sounded much more intriguing to me.

I'm Ok with Scott, and we have Chambers as well.. Obvioulsy the Bills feel this guy has a better upside then the re-treads, and of course it is a cheaper option

mysticsoto
09-22-2009, 12:49 PM
He doesn't address the problem and if this organization was serious about winning, then they would bring in a proven commodity, like Runyan, to fill that RT spot this year. I don't like the move at all. I'm not saying he isn't a good prospect, but do we really need another prospect backing up Scott??? Uggh, the mediocrity of this organization is painful!

Runyan wasn't going to play backup. So it is either bring in Runyan and start him immediately despite him not knowing how things are done here or the calls he'll need to know, or keep Scott who did an admirable job last Sunday and may continue to grow. This signing means that they likely reviewed tape to look at how Scott performed and were happy with it. Meredith is just a backup...his signing is only important in that it means Scott is keeping his new spot.

This is something I agree with. Keep in mind that we don't know what Runyan is asking for either. He may feel that he still has alot to offer and his asking price may be high. The Bills may also be concerned how his injury might hold up in a no-huddle pace environment. Ultimately, Kugler has done a superb job of getting these new guys ready and playing at a top level. If he is comfortable with Scott, then so am I!

Oaf
09-22-2009, 12:50 PM
exactly. I'm not big on bringing in Runyan at all. Id honestly rather have Walker back, but there isnt much out there. i think grabbing a fairly well-thought of 5th round prospect from a team's PS is a pretty good move.
I'd much have Walker back- he did a great job at RT last year. However, per Pat's sources? No chance of that happening?

Nighthawk
09-22-2009, 12:51 PM
Runyan wasn't going to play backup. So it is either bring in Runyan and start him immediately despite him not knowing how things are done here or the calls he'll need to know, or keep Scott who did an admirable job last Sunday and may continue to grow. This signing means that they likely reviewed tape to look at how Scott performed and were happy with it. Meredith is just a backup...his signing is only important in that it means Scott is keeping his new spot.

This is something I agree with. Keep in mind that we don't know what Runyan is asking for either. He may feel that he still has alot to offer and his asking price may be high. The Bills may also be concerned how his injury might hold up in a no-huddle pace environment. Ultimately, Kugler has done a superb job of getting these new guys ready and playing at a top level. If he is comfortable with Scott, then so am I!

I can buy into the no-huddle thing...but that's about it. It is never better to sign a practice squad player then a proven vet. Again, let me state this...this is only for this year, I'm not expecting them to sign a player to play RT for the next 10 years!

cocamide

Thirty-two NFL teams have decided that these guys aren't worth having on their team. What do you know that they don't?

justasportsfan
I can say one thing

They did a heluva a job drafting Wood and Levitre... maybe they see something similiar in this guy.

That's about the only positve I can spin with right now.. .Vet depth sounded much more intriguing to me.

I'm Ok with Scott, and we have Chambers as well.. Obvioulsy the Bills feel this guy has a better upside then the re-treads, and of course it is a cheaper option
I'm okay with everything other than being okay with Scott . Jury's still out.

mysticsoto
09-22-2009, 12:52 PM
I live half hour from Green Bay and I've never heard of him.

Who?

He was good enough that they saw a reason to keep him in their PS...let's keep in mind that the 1st year, Peters was on our PS!!!

Meathead
09-22-2009, 12:52 PM
in all likelihood this was somebody on the bills draft board they would have liked to been able to pick. as long as they are filling a season-long roster spot they might as well add a guy they might be able to make a long term resource for the team

tons of olinemen are produced from the practice squads, tons. take a look at the backgrounds of every teams olines and youll see those guys all over the place - most teams have one or two highly drafted linemen and the rest are low picks or UFAs

ddaryl
09-22-2009, 12:54 PM
I'm okay with everything other than being okay with Scott . Jury's still out.

I agree Jury is still out, but he did not look out of place against Tampa. Never heard his name called out once...

and the way the rest of the young guns have been playing I actually have faith in our OL some. :crazy:

BIG TEST THIS WEKEND....

Nighthawk
09-22-2009, 12:54 PM
Thirty-two NFL teams have decided that these guys aren't worth having on their team. What do you know that they don't?

Alright, the homerism in this thread is crazy...I've got to agree to disagree with most of you. My point is, there are better options out there. No, they aren't pro-bowlers, but I'm pretty sure they could fill in nicely for the rest of the season. If they don't work out, then you lose nothing...cut him, his salary is guaranteed. This move is completely about money...period.

justasportsfan
09-22-2009, 12:56 PM
I agree Jury is still out, but he did not look out of place against Tampa. Never heard his name called out once...

and the way the rest of the young guns have been playing I actually have faith in our OL some. :crazy:

BIG TEST THIS WEKEND....

oh I agree, he did an admirable job, but still insufficient data. Na, the aints don't really have a good D.

Pinkerton Security
09-22-2009, 12:57 PM

Runyan is 35 and coming off microfracture surgery this early winter. He is not nearly the player he used to be.

Tauscher is 32 and coming of a blown ACL last december.

Beastie Bills
09-22-2009, 12:58 PM
Scout.com ranked him as the 8th best tackle in the draft, right after Loadholt

Pinkerton Security
09-22-2009, 12:58 PM
Scout.com ranked him as the 8th best tackle in the draft, right after Loadholt

ya but hes cheap, thats the sole reason anyone would ever want him, allright?! RALPH IS CHEAP EVERYONE!!

Nighthawk
09-22-2009, 01:00 PM
Runyan is 35 and coming off microfracture surgery this early winter. He is not nearly the player he used to be.

Tauscher is 32 and coming of a blown ACL last december.

Then get a different vet...If you think a practice squad player, who wasn't good enough to make the roster, is an adequate replacement for Butler, then I'm worried about you. I'd definitely feel more confident with a vet being brought in.

Ebenezer
09-22-2009, 01:00 PM
Looks like athleticism over fat slobs is the way we're going.
that's ok, our stellar conditioning coach will have him overweight in 10 days.

bflojohn
09-22-2009, 01:01 PM
This just in... Mark Tausher will NOT be ready to play until late November, at the earliest! If he had ANYTHING to contribute, the Packers would be falling all over themselves trying to re-sign him. The Packers achilles heal is Barbre at ORT, as he's been handled in the first two weeks of the season.

Pinkerton Security
Then get a different vet...If you think a practice squad player, who wasn't good enough to make the roster, is an adequate replacement for Butler, then I'm worried about you. I'd definitely feel more confident with a vet being brought in.
Please name someone other than those 2 guys. I honestly dont know what other options are out there, not trying to be a pain but I just dont see much out there so thats why I see this as a decent pickup.

Nighthawk
ya but hes cheap, thats the sole reason anyone would ever want him, allright?! RALPH IS CHEAP EVERYONE!!

If you don't think that is the main reason they signed him, then you are fooling yourself.

justasportsfan
09-22-2009, 01:02 PM
Did you mean our conditioning coach will have in IR ?

Nighthawk
Please name someone other than those 2 guys.

Ahh, we're going to play this game...my point is that this move was not made from a football standpoint, this move was made from a money standpoint. Nothing you can say can make me respect that. Sorry, I don't wear the rose colored glasses....

Michael82
Wow, Mikey...I know that you're a homer, but you seriously don't think they could hold down the position better for this year then a guy on the practice squad? Seriously???
It's not that. I just like what I saw in Jonathan Scott all camp, pre-season and now in his first game this weekend. I wouldn't sign a vet until I see how he does with a full game under his belt. Besides...those old vets that are available would struggle with the no-huddle and all the pulling and moving around that our OL is doing now. It wouldn't work.

Dr. Lecter

Any vet out there also is not currently good enough to be on the roster.

I agree that, on the surface, Runyan is better. But a well known name is not always the best option.

justasportsfan
09-22-2009, 01:03 PM

did you mean our Cond. coach will have him injured in 10 days?

Dr. Lecter
09-22-2009, 01:03 PM
If you don't think that is the main reason they signed him, then you are fooling yourself.

Ralph's cheapness with players has been disproven numerous times.

justasportsfan
09-22-2009, 01:04 PM
well. Meredith is smart. Hopefully he can ask DE's questions like "the meaning of life" while Trent throws deep to TO and Lee.

Ebenezer
09-22-2009, 01:04 PM

I agree that, on the surface, Runyan is better. But a well known name is not always the best option.
remind me who Walker and Runyon now play for?? 31 teams have passed...

Nighthawk
09-22-2009, 01:05 PM

I can agree with that, but it kills me how some fans seem to get all stupid when their team wins one game! All of a sudden, Scott is the next coming of a pro-bowl RT...seriously??? Now he may turn out to be good, buy people just putting blind faith into that theory kill me.

Ebenezer
well. Meredith is smart. Hopefully he can ask DE's questions like "the meaning of life" while Trent throws deep to TO and Lee.
hell, I don't care if he sings them to sleep as long as he keeps them off TEs back.

Pinkerton Security
Ahh, we're going to play this game...my point is that this move was not made from a football standpoint, this move was made from a money standpoint. Nothing you can say can make me respect that. Sorry, I don't wear the rose colored glasses....

I dont want to try to make you wear these glasses, though they do look pretty nice..

i expanded on my post also. I really dont see anyone else out there I'd want. Did money have something to do with us picking him up? yes, obviously. Is that the only reason? No. We could have gotten far cheaper and worse players. I respect your opinion but think we did a decent job of finding a player than could potentially help us and also has some growing to do.

Nighthawk

Walker was never an option...from what everybody says, he's a problem in the lockerroom.

Ebenezer
09-22-2009, 01:06 PM
did you mean our Cond. coach will have him injured in 10 days?
yeah, that too!

Pinkerton Security
I can agree with that, but it kills me how some fans seem to get all stupid when their team wins one game! All of a sudden, Scott is the next coming of a pro-bowl RT...seriously??? Now he may turn out to be good, buy people just putting blind faith into that theory kill me.

dude, who said Scott was a pro-bowl tackle??

Nighthawk

Sorry Doc, you're wrong regarding this one.

Ebenezer
09-22-2009, 01:07 PM
Walker was never an option...from what everybody says, he's a problem in the lockerroom.
that may be true...but point being, teams are not knocking down there doors...who did people think we would sign? do they personally know of some RT that's hanging out in Mongolia waiting for a call?

Mahdi
Bills to sign T Jamon Meredith from Packers practice squad. Both teams could use a tackle, actually.

http://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora
This guy is super athletic and could end up being a very similar project to Bell. Love the signing. Very clever.

SABURZFAN

it's been proven NUMEROUS times. there was a thread surfacing around not too long ago proving it.

Michael82
09-22-2009, 01:08 PM
Including his old team that was desperate for a new OT because they lost Andrews for the season last week.

Michael82
09-22-2009, 01:09 PM
This guy is super athletic and could end up being a very similar project to Bell. Love the signing. Very clever.
Yeah it is very clever...especially because the Packers were trying to stash him on the Practice Squad. I wonder if the Bills got word that the Packers were looking to activate him soon.... :idunno:

Nighthawk
09-22-2009, 01:09 PM
that may be true...but point being, teams are not knocking down there doors...who did people think we would sign? do they personally know of some RT that's hanging out in Mongolia waiting for a call?

So, what you're telling me is that when the Pats have gone out in the past and signed vets during the season (who weren't on anybody's roster) to help them win Super Bowls, they didn't know what they were doing? The Pats always get people on the street that nobody wanted to come in and help the team. Seau is a good example...I'm sure there is more, but I can't think of them right now.

Dr. Lecter
09-22-2009, 01:13 PM
Sorry Doc, you're wrong regarding this one.

He often spends the money poorly, but the longterm data shows the Bills are usually right around the middle of the NFL in money paid out to players.

PECKERWOOD
09-22-2009, 01:16 PM
I wanted us to draft him, I would love it if we signed him. He is an athletic and mobile lineman that fits the mold our coaching staff likes.

Philagape
09-22-2009, 01:26 PM

Anyone out there right now wasn't good enough to make any roster

mysticsoto
09-22-2009, 01:31 PM

Can you show me 1 post that says anything like you are claiming? So far, I've mostly seen things like Scott was adequate, etc. At this point, there is not going to be a stellar probowl RT lying dormant somewhere. You have to go w/what's available and the Bills have atleast had Runyan in to work out and know what he has to offer. Clearly it wasn't good enough for the scheme they want to implement.

As Mikey mentioned, Scott was great in TC also. I know he caught my eye, and I wasn't even looking to see how he progressed. When I saw his play and how well he latched on to defenders I had to ask someone to look in their guide and tell me who #79 was.

DesertFox24
09-22-2009, 01:37 PM

Well considering that the eagles would not resign Runyan makes me think he is not fully healed from microfacture surgery from this past offseason.

Also, this morning I heard on sirius NFL radio that Runyan would probably not be a good fit in our no huddle system.

I liked Meredith coming out, and had he not been hurt his last two years he might have been a 3rd round draft pick. We all knew our backup tackle situation was not great but we just picked up an extra draft pick for next to nothing. This will also allow us to not have to draft another tackle in next years draft.

I like the move....

psubills62
09-22-2009, 02:45 PM
Here's what draftcountdown.com had to say about the Packers getting him in the fifth round:

Later in round five the Packers were very fortunate to find South Carolina OT Jamon Meredith still on the board. A great athlete who is very quick and light on his feet, Meredith has experience at both tackle and guard and could play either position in the pros. On talent alone many felt Meredith was a second round value but concerns about his toughness and lack of a killer instinct led to his Draft Day freefall. Chad Clifton is entrenched as the starting left tackle but he is 33-years-old and has battled some injuries so Meredith will be groomed as his eventual successor. Meredith definitely has some Boom or Bust potential but he was well worth the risk in round five.

mysticsoto
09-22-2009, 02:57 PM
For anyone interested, you can watch some videos on Meredith from this link:

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/43742212.html

alohabillsfan
09-22-2009, 03:02 PM
Still waiting for nighthawks solution to the Tackle position besides broken vets????

Bill Cody
09-22-2009, 03:06 PM
nice pick up

BuffaloRanger
09-22-2009, 04:10 PM
So the choice was broken down vets that have already been passed on by every team or a PS player that didn't make the Packers and 31 other teams didn't like enough to "steal" like the Bills just did.

Oh how did we get in this situation? Who could have forseen that an OL would get hurt this year? I mean what are the odds? Olineman NEVER get hurt! That's why the Bills FO could build an Oline of inexperienced players backed up by career journeyman. (end Sarcasm)

Did the Bills not have a plan for what to do in case of an OT injury? They moved their RT to LT, dumped him, now have basically a PS player starting at RT being backed up by another team's PS player. Huh?!?

BuffaloRanger
09-22-2009, 04:12 PM
Oh and I even like the pickup in theory, I just hate that a rookie is backing up another rookie.

Nighthawk
09-22-2009, 05:36 PM
Still waiting for nighthawks solution to the Tackle position besides broken vets????

Sorry buddy, had to go back to work...my bad! My point is, that I hate the fact that this team is always making football decisions based on money. This one was money motivated, why otherwise would Overdorf be in a meeting about which players they should go after? That is my problem with it, not that I don't like Meredith. I'm tired of this team thinking about the money and not thinking about what is the best "football" decision. I, for one, actually think the Meredith kid has some upside and am actually glad we got him. I just don't like football decisions being made with the pocketbook being the number one criteria. You can't win in this league always going on the cheap.

P.S. - I love the addition of the LB Freeman to the practice squad...I liked him coming out of Ohio State and I'm excited to see what he can bring to this LB corp.

DraftBoy
09-22-2009, 06:32 PM
Wonderful signing! Anybody who is critical of his play never saw him in college as he was one of the best OL in the SEC.

Meredith at mid season was nearing a 1st Round grade, but whispers out of Columbia killed his stock in the offseason. He's quick, strong, and very smart. He projects at LT in the pros for me but could play RT as well. I wouldn't move him inside unless you're playing a heavy pulling guard system. Meredith is an absolutely wonderful pickup for now and the future.

X-Era
09-22-2009, 06:35 PM
Wonderful signing! Anybody who is critical of his play never saw him in college as he was one of the best OL in the SEC.

Meredith at mid season was nearing a 1st Round grade, but whispers out of Columbia killed his stock in the offseason. He's quick, strong, and very smart. He projects at LT in the pros for me but could play RT as well. I wouldn't move him inside unless you're playing a heavy pulling guard system. Meredith is an absolutely wonderful pickup for now and the future.

And how do you feel about us getting Marcus Freeman?

That's a rhetorical question.

Its the PS so I cant get too worked up. I was never a fan of his play.

DraftBoy
09-22-2009, 06:36 PM
And how do you feel about us getting Marcus Freeman?

That's a rhetorical question.

Its the PS so I cant get too worked up. I was never a fan of his play.

He's Nic Harris with more LB experience for me. He's a smart player and a sound tackler, but he's nothing special. His game speed is avg and his inability to get off blocks is extremely worrisome. I dont hate the signing but Im not thinking he's going to make our 53 man squad either.

Nighthawk
09-22-2009, 06:44 PM

I like the kid, I'm interested to see how he plays. I'll be surprised if he makes an immediate impact, but if he does, I'd be more then OK with it.

Demon
09-22-2009, 06:51 PM
Oh and I even like the pickup in theory, I just hate that a rookie is backing up another rookie.

I agree... I like this signing. Actually, i think Meredith will be a solid pro in 2-3 years. I do like his potential. But, to keep getting our line younger and more inexperienced, is a recipe for disaster. I don't know what I expected, i guess i had hoped for one of the financial trouble teams who are 0-2 to maybe dump some salary like Jacksonville, but i was hoping for a guy who we could trust in.

PromoTheRobot
09-22-2009, 07:06 PM

Runyan: over the hill...injured...hates T.O. BTW, I believe you made the same cheap comment about T. Bell. How's that working out so far?

PTR

PromoTheRobot
09-22-2009, 07:08 PM
So, what you're telling me is that when the Pats have gone out in the past and signed vets during the season (who weren't on anybody's roster) to help them win Super Bowls, they didn't know what they were doing? The Pats always get people on the street that nobody wanted to come in and help the team. Seau is a good example...I'm sure there is more, but I can't think of them right now.
The Pats had a pipeline of HGH to reinvigorate work out players like Seau.

PTR

Ebenezer
09-22-2009, 07:23 PM
The Pats had a pipeline of HGH to reinvigorate work out players like Seau.

PTR
amazing how NE was the only team to be able to retread vets who were spent and keep winning isn't it?

Nighthawk
09-22-2009, 09:33 PM
Runyan: over the hill...injured...hates T.O. BTW, I believe you made the same cheap comment about T. Bell. How's that working out so far?

PTR

Umm, no, I didn't you freakin' tool, but nice try.

DraftBoy
09-22-2009, 09:34 PM
I like the kid, I'm interested to see how he plays. I'll be surprised if he makes an immediate impact, but if he does, I'd be more then OK with it.

You just spent an entire afternoon bashing the org for this move but now you say you like the kid? You confuse me sometimes...

Nighthawk
09-22-2009, 09:37 PM
You just spent an entire afternoon bashing the org for this move but now you say you like the kid? You confuse me sometimes...

You're confused because you didn't read my posts...I never once bashed the kid and in fact thought he, in himself, was not a bad pickup for the future, just not this year. My problem has been that this move was made purely for monetary reasons...nothing less, nothing more. Why in the hell would Jim Overdorf be in a meeting about who they would bring in to fill Butler's position if it wasn't? That's the part I hated about the move, not the kid himself.

DraftBoy
09-22-2009, 09:46 PM
You're confused because you didn't read my posts...I never once bashed the kid and in fact thought he, in himself, was not a bad pickup for the future, just not this year. My problem has been that this move was made purely for monetary reasons...nothing less, nothing more. Why in the hell would Jim Overdorf be in a meeting about who they would bring in to fill Butler's position if it wasn't? That's the part I hated about the move, not the kid himself.

Which is a statement you make simply because nobody can prove what Runyan's demands are yet, so your free to make that claim without fear of being called out for it (yet). That's not a real big limb you're going out there on.

So then let's do this, what is the maximum amount per year and signing bonus you'd give to Runyan right now? At what price do you say no Im good, you're not worth it. Then when he signs we'll see what the number is and if he was too expensive for even your tastes. Wanna play?

Nighthawk
09-22-2009, 09:50 PM
Which is a statement you make simply because nobody can prove what Runyan's demands are yet, so your free to make that claim without fear of being called out for it (yet). That's not a real big limb you're going out there on.

So then let's do this, what is the maximum amount per year and signing bonus you'd give to Runyan right now? At what price do you say no Im good, you're not worth it. Then when he signs we'll see what the number is and if he was too expensive for even your tastes. Wanna play?

We both know the guy would play for a couple of million for a year...I don't have an exact number to throw out there, but it wouldn't be any crazy demand. Honestly, this is a stupid argument that I've had with others today that I don't feel like rehashing...if you don't think it's money, fine, I think your wrong. There is no other reason to explain why Overdorf is involved in any talks about what personnel would be brough in to take Butler's spot.

Goobylal
09-22-2009, 10:07 PM
Jamon? Isn't that Spanish for "ham?"

Luisito23
09-23-2009, 05:21 AM

LOL...Si.

DraftBoy
09-23-2009, 07:50 AM
We both know the guy would play for a couple of million for a year...I don't have an exact number to throw out there, but it wouldn't be any crazy demand. Honestly, this is a stupid argument that I've had with others today that I don't feel like rehashing...if you don't think it's money, fine, I think your wrong. There is no other reason to explain why Overdorf is involved in any talks about what personnel would be brough in to take Butler's spot.

So in other words you won't play because you'll likely be proven wrong. No problem, I just wanted to give you a chance to prove yourself once.

justasportsfan
09-23-2009, 09:12 AM

Hope he can eventually make Jamon sammich out of DE's.

Some people think that Kirk Chambers did a decent job coming in from the bench. If Jonathan Scott can beat him out then maybe Jason Scott can be decent. Granted that our coaches/FO have been wrong numerous times in the past when it comes to picking talent for OL , so far so good based on the first 2 games. Am I saying Scott is an able replacement ? I wasn't even sure Butler was the right answer because it's too soon to judge this OL but so far so good.

Comparing the first 2 games this year to the first 2 games of last year, this OL is definitely looking better than the OL we had last year . Don't know if we can attribute that to the calls made by AVP, Fred Jackson or a different mentallity of going with more athletic players and the no huddle.

One things for sure, our OL required players that could get to the OL quick and sustain the no huddle without dragging their arses. This is most likely the reason why we got rid of last years entire OL although I can see clearly why we wanted to keep Peters because of his athleticism. Peters didn't fit in with last years fat slobs .

Dr. Lecter
09-23-2009, 09:14 AM
Not only might Jason Scott be decent, but this Jonathan Scott guy played well against Tampa Bay.

ParanoidAndroid
09-23-2009, 09:41 AM
Has anyone noticed how this team has been developing good OT's the past few years? Walker improved when he got here (albeit with a position switch), we know the Peters story, Bell, even Chambers was better than we thought he would be when he played last year. Now, Scott held his own.
When you've been pretty successful doing that, why wouldn't you sign a guy off a practice squad who has, perhaps, more upside than any other tackle on the roster?

Ebenezer
09-23-2009, 10:15 AM
Not only might Jason Scott be decent, but this Jonathan Scott guy played well against Tampa Bay.
let's not anoint him just yet...he had his lunch handed to him a couple of times. Bell is raw and he isn't close to Bell yet.

Nighthawk
09-23-2009, 12:06 PM
So in other words you won't play because you'll likely be proven wrong. No problem, I just wanted to give you a chance to prove yourself once.

Actually, no, this game wouldn't prove me wrong, nor would you. You still haven't answered the obvious questions...why was Overdorf in a meeting to replace an injured RT, if it wasn't about the money???

Nighthawk
09-23-2009, 12:12 PM
let's not anoint him just yet...he had his lunch handed to him a couple of times. Bell is raw and he isn't close to Bell yet.

I was one who believed that Scott deserved to make this roster over Chambers, so I'm not at all unhappy he is on the team. I just am not yet convinced that he is going to be alright after one game against a very mediocre TB defensive line. I don't know, I'd like to see a little more before I start thumping my chest about how good this kid will be and how well he'll play this season. I hope he turns out to be the answer at RT, but I just don't know yet.

DraftBoy
09-23-2009, 01:37 PM
Why was Overdorf in the meeting??

Oh I don't know maybe because he is our contract guy! That's one of the dumber questions you've asked recently.

MidnightVoice
09-23-2009, 01:40 PM
thats too. But still, at least hes not an undrafted backup out of Division III Joes College...he is a decent prospect, albeit one that will require some grooming. Like our starting running back? :D

Nighthawk
09-23-2009, 05:35 PM
Why was Overdorf in the meeting??

Oh I don't know maybe because he is our contract guy! That's one of the dumber questions you've asked recently.

No, that's one of the more stupid answers that you've ever tried to pass off. He should not be in a "football" meeting and everybody knows that. It's not like we're up against the cap, so why the hell would a bean counter be in a meeting like that? Honestly, stop trying to come up with lame excuses...it is what is and you trying to argue it isn't won't change it. Like I said, I'm OK with Meredith for potential, I'm not OK with a bean counter being involved in personnel decisions.

MikeInRoch
09-23-2009, 05:39 PM
Why are you assuming that the "bean counter" was there to make the decision, as opposed to which guy's agent he needed to call to get the deal done?

DraftBoy
09-23-2009, 05:43 PM
No, that's one of the more stupid answers that you've ever tried to pass off. He should not be in a "football" meeting and everybody knows that. It's not like we're up against the cap, so why the hell would a bean counter be in a meeting like that? Honestly, stop trying to come up with lame excuses...it is what is and you trying to argue it isn't won't change it. Like I said, I'm OK with Meredith for potential, I'm not OK with a bean counter being involved in personnel decisions.

First off Overdorf is part of our GM team, at least know what the hell he does before you just call him a bean counter. He is not the team accountant. So just by that he has every right and is probably asked yay or nay on every move this team makes.

Secondly he has to be there because he's the one who does all our contracts. Him being there doesnt mean he pushed Meredith to be the signing over a guy like Runyan. To assume so shows the fault logic you are using.

Finally you sound like a bumbling conspiracy theorist who has no idea how an NFL front office works. Stop it, you're making grand assumptions based on nothing more than a guy being in a room....we know what your preconceived notion is already, we know your bias. We got it, there is no need to go nutso bias though. You're better than that.

Nighthawk
09-23-2009, 05:45 PM
Why are you assuming that the "bean counter" was there to make the decision, as opposed to which guy's agent he needed to call to get the deal done?

Because Jauron stated on the news before the move that he was going to be meeting with all the decision makers and Overdorf was included in that. It seemed pretty clearcut to me and they even mentioned it on WGR yesterday. It's just not normal to have a finance guy involved in a personnel meeting.

DraftBoy
09-23-2009, 05:48 PM
Because Jauron stated on the news before the move that he was going to be meeting with all the decision makers and Overdorf was included in that. It seemed pretty clearcut to me and they even mentioned it on WGR yesterday. It's just not normal to have a finance guy involved in a personnel meeting.

HE'S PART OF THE GM TEAM WE HAVE!

Brandon-Modrak-Guy-Overdorf

Where have you been??

Nighthawk
09-23-2009, 05:54 PM
First off Overdorf is part of our GM team, at least know what the hell he does before you just call him a bean counter. He is not the team accountant. So just by that he has every right and is probably asked yay or nay on every move this team makes.

Secondly he has to be there because he's the one who does all our contracts. Him being there doesnt mean he pushed Meredith to be the signing over a guy like Runyan. To assume so shows the fault logic you are using.

Finally you sound like a bumbling conspiracy theorist who has no idea how an NFL front office works. Stop it, you're making grand assumptions based on nothing more than a guy being in a room....we know what your preconceived notion is already, we know your bias. We got it, there is no need to go nutso bias though. You're better than that.

Draftboy, you do the exact same thing....you assume everything and sell it as fact, so let's not act like every one of your opinions isn't the same. Also, Overdorf is not part of the football side operations...he's strictly contracts.

Also, how is my opinion any more bias then yours??? Just because you don't agree, does not make your opinion any more factual then mine....let's not stroke our ego too much.

As for your last comment about me being better then that...well, you're right and I'm going to stop arguing about something so stupid as a backup RT and I'm going to focus on trying to keep a positive mindset going into the Saints game. I'm done arguing just to argue...I can admit it. :cheers:

Nighthawk
09-23-2009, 05:58 PM
HE'S PART OF THE GM TEAM WE HAVE!

Brandon-Modrak-Guy-Overdorf

Where have you been??

Honestly, I've always thought he was strictly contracts, but hey, maybe I'm wrong.

DraftBoy
09-23-2009, 06:43 PM
Honestly, I've always thought he was strictly contracts, but hey, maybe I'm wrong.

You are on this one, and even if it were strictly contracts that's a huge part of football operations.

DraftBoy
09-23-2009, 06:44 PM
Draftboy, you do the exact same thing....you assume everything and sell it as fact, so let's not act like every one of your opinions isn't the same. Also, Overdorf is not part of the football side operations...he's strictly contracts.

Also, how is my opinion any more bias then yours??? Just because you don't agree, does not make your opinion any more factual then mine....let's not stroke our ego too much.

As for your last comment about me being better then that...well, you're right and I'm going to stop arguing about something so stupid as a backup RT and I'm going to focus on trying to keep a positive mindset going into the Saints game. I'm done arguing just to argue...I can admit it. :cheers:

You didnt dispute a single point I made all you did was relay the same points back to me, and accuse me of the same thing I said of you.

Nighthawk
09-23-2009, 06:48 PM
Draftboy...I've told you, I'm done...it's useless to argue because we disagree. You don't have any facts that prove it isn't money motivated and I really don't have any facts to show that it is. We agree to disagree.

DraftBoy
09-23-2009, 06:54 PM
Draftboy...I've told you, I'm done...it's useless to argue because we disagree. You don't have any facts that prove it isn't money motivated and I really don't have any facts to show that it is. We agree to disagree.

You agree to disagree you apparently forgot in my sabbatical who you are dealing with here.

But in all seriousness yes you are right, you can't prove what you claim.

:couch:

Nighthawk
09-23-2009, 06:59 PM
You agree to disagree you apparently forgot in my sabbatical who you are dealing with here.

But in all seriousness yes you are right, you can't prove what you claim.

:couch:

Tool...:bighug:

DraftBoy
09-23-2009, 09:09 PM
Tool...:bighug:

You know you missed me. :goodpost:

mysticsoto
09-23-2009, 09:10 PM

Wait a minute. The burden of proof falls on you since you are the one claiming that this is strictly a decision motivated solely by money. It's not up to DB to disprove you. If you are going to make that claim, you have to back it up. Otherwise, all you've done is invented something with no basis.

Dr. Lecter
09-23-2009, 09:42 PM
You know you missed me. :goodpost:

Like genital warts.........

DraftBoy
09-23-2009, 09:45 PM
Like genital warts.........

Hey as long as the action to get them was worth it...

God Bless Penicillin!

TigerJ
09-23-2009, 10:00 PM
Hey as long as the action to get them was worth it...

God Bless Penicillin!Unfortunately genital warts are caused by a virus, the HPV or human papilloma virus. Penicillin won't treat it. Fortunately, there is a vaccination now available to prevent it. Unfortunately, as we all know there are other STDs out there caused by both viruses and bacteria and we can't yet cure or prevent all of them.

DraftBoy
09-23-2009, 10:03 PM
Unfortunately genital warts are caused by a virus, the HPV or human papilloma virus. Penicillin won't treat it. Fortunately, there is a vaccination now available to prevent it. Unfortunately, as we all know there are other STDs out there caused by both viruses and bacteria and we can't yet cure or prevent all of them.

Well that certainly explains a thing or two...

In all seriousness though thankfully Ive never had an experience with that stuff.

As my father said to me and I will say to my son one day;

"Dont be a fool, wrap your tool!"

Words of wisdom right there ladies and gentlemen, words of wisdom!

Mad Bomber
09-23-2009, 10:05 PM
"Just" contracts? The person doing the contracts needs to be intimately aware of every conversation/negotiation in ANY personnel move. He needs to understand the demands and expectation of the potential player, and work with the rest of the management team to come up with an offer.

He's not a bean counter ("finance guy"); he's closer to being a lawyer if he's involved in contracts. He's a crucial part of the management team.

TigerJ
09-23-2009, 10:09 PM
I like the kid, I'm interested to see how he plays. I'll be surprised if he makes an immediate impact, but if he does, I'd be more then OK with it.I too would be surprised if he makes an immediate impact. It would probably take an injury to either of our current starting tackles as well as Kirk Chambers. That would be very bad, so I hope he has no impact this season whatsoever.

MikeInRoch
09-24-2009, 02:19 PM

Did he say it was ONLY the decision makers in the meeting? No.