PDA

View Full Version : Trent Edwards observations

Marvelous
09-22-2009, 12:34 PM
-Curious what everyone thinks after week two about Trent and his style..

--My feelings can be noticed by how upset i was when Schouman went out.. Because he & Josh Reed & Freddy are his BFF's... Since i accepted Trents style that he looks at dumpoffs, or short passes alot, it sucks that his favorite target went out..

-Schouman deserves his due & propper.. He was a beast in The NE game too. I think Schouman was gonna have the kind o' season that we have been jonesing for since Metzelaars & McKeller.. Sucks! But the rook looks solid. Is he ok?

---Trent showed me accuracy. Esp on the 3 deep passes. Two completed and the dropped one by TO is one of the best passes ive seen get dropped...So i don't get it why he doesn't look to Evans & T.O more..
--It's still early and AVP is gonna work with him(i hope).. These short passes are effective..

--You guys content with him dinking & dunking and then throwing a couple bombs?
--or--
-Would you rather he start delivering more to WR's, instead of RB's & TE's?

--Obviously if it works and we are winning, but what if both are effective?

(((disclaimer)) i was very critical of Trent in offseason esp about him lacking vision with WR's route running. And that's why Evans was so ignored/missed etc. I have eaten crow since...

Pinkerton Security
09-22-2009, 12:42 PM
I think both he and AVP are feeling their way around right now, and I am happy with what Trent has done so far this season. He does need to get Evans and Owens the ball more, as they are 2 of our biggest weapons and I'd like to see them catching balls other than deep passes, especially Owens, his run after catch ability is great.

Marvelous
09-22-2009, 12:47 PM
Aye, Owens YAC is thee best ive ever seen.. It's soo important to get him in stride..
Same w/ Roscoe. Believe it or not. Parrish has had some amazing YAC in his limited attempts...

-agreed.

justasportsfan
09-22-2009, 12:49 PM
I hope Trent is easing into the long balls just like Brady and Cassel. I guess should realize after sunday that when he attempts them, good things can happen with both Evans and TO.

Marvelous
09-22-2009, 06:59 PM
aye
--Those three passes. I mean, what can one say, they we're freakin amazingly perfect. Up till The Bucs game we we're lucky, err, he was lucky if he had 1 deep perfect pass and all o' sudden he bust out three. The problem was he reverted right back to the dinking/dunking..
---Right now my biggest concern is him nailing the wide-outs in stride. esp T.O since he excells with YAC when he gets the ball/pass to lead him etc..
---I can't even remember if #83 is good with YAC. Like if gets the ball to be thrown in front of him on a slant or a cross pattern etc.. I know Lee Evans excells on the down and back routes where he cuts back sharp and turns and the DB misses the tackle and he's off to 6 points...

TigerJ
09-22-2009, 07:21 PM
According to the comments made by Trent himself, the Buccaneers were shifting coverage to take away the deep routes early in the game. He responded by bassing short quite a bit. When the Buccaneers got a little more aggressive in their defense, that opened up the deeper routes. I to would like to see Edwards go deep 4 or 5 times every game, but if he's moving the ball and sustaining drives with short passes when defenses are cheating deep, I'm OK with that.

jmb1099
09-23-2009, 05:37 AM
whatever wins

Commissioner
09-23-2009, 06:47 AM
According to the comments made by Trent himself, the Buccaneers were shifting coverage to take away the deep routes early in the game. He responded by bassing short quite a bit. When the Buccaneers got a little more aggressive in their defense, that opened up the deeper routes. I to would like to see Edwards go deep 4 or 5 times every game, but if he's moving the ball and sustaining drives with short passes when defenses are cheating deep, I'm OK with that.
Yeah definitely... that's one of the nice things about going to the games and sitting in the upper deck. I was watching the safeties the whole game slide over top of Lee and T.O. Infact the one time I saw T.O. singled up, I started screaming throw it to T.O.... that's when hecaught the touchdown at the end. High fives all around... LOL.

jamze132
09-23-2009, 07:38 AM
Trent should throw the ball to whoever is open, regardless of what position they play. If the opponents want to double team our WR duo or have S help over the top, I would feed the ball to the backs and TEs all day until the defense changes. Then I would go over the top. But AVP needs to vary the WR routes so they aren't running downfield every time. They need to set the defense up for the bomb.

mybills
09-23-2009, 08:07 AM
Aye, Owens YAC is thee best ive ever seen.. It's soo important to get him in stride..
Same w/ Roscoe. Believe it or not. Parrish has had some amazing YAC in his limited attempts...

-agreed.
Wow, somebody said something nice about Parrish? I can't believe the hatred I've been reading about him lately. It's like these people never watched last year's games.

Thank you!

p.s. Trent is holding his own, even though he still holds on to the ball too long at times. I wish he'd throw it away instead of taking the sacks. :ill:

justasportsfan
09-23-2009, 09:49 AM
If TO or Evans is on one on one coverage, treat it as either of them being open.

With Evans, throw it long and deep and make him run after it.

TO, throw it up and make him jump for it.

Mahdi
09-23-2009, 10:13 AM
-Curious what everyone thinks after week two about Trent and his style..

--My feelings can be noticed by how upset i was when Schouman went out.. Because he & Josh Reed & Freddy are his BFF's... Since i accepted Trents style that he looks at dumpoffs, or short passes alot, it sucks that his favorite target went out..

-Schouman deserves his due & propper.. He was a beast in The NE game too. I think Schouman was gonna have the kind o' season that we have been jonesing for since Metzelaars & McKeller.. Sucks! But the rook looks solid. Is he ok?

---Trent showed me accuracy. Esp on the 3 deep passes. Two completed and the dropped one by TO is one of the best passes ive seen get dropped...So i don't get it why he doesn't look to Evans & T.O more..
--It's still early and AVP is gonna work with him(i hope).. These short passes are effective..

--You guys content with him dinking & dunking and then throwing a couple bombs?
--or--
-Would you rather he start delivering more to WR's, instead of RB's & TE's?

--Obviously if it works and we are winning, but what if both are effective?

(((disclaimer)) i was very critical of Trent in offseason esp about him lacking vision with WR's route running. And that's why Evans was so ignored/missed etc. I have eaten crow since...
Delivering more passes to the WRs in the 15 to 20 yard range will open up our run game even more.

Once Trent develops that part of his game the offense will be unstoppable. You cannot defend to premier WRs and 2 beast RBs at the same time.

I think our Offense can become a top 5 unit.

HHURRICANE
09-23-2009, 11:31 AM
I really believe Edwards to be a very smart person. He rolled Turk under the bus to get his guy (Van Pelt) in there.

Kelly and Smith did the same thing with Hank Bullough.

I'm sure Edwards gives two ****s about who's calling him a dink and dunker.

He's ranked in the top 5 and he's going to play his game.

justasportsfan
09-23-2009, 12:00 PM
I really believe Edwards to be a very smart person. He rolled Turk under the bus to get his guy (Van Pelt) in there.

Kelly and Smith did the same thing with Hank Bullough.

I'm sure Edwards gives two ****s about who's calling him a dink and dunker.

He's ranked in the top 5 and he's going to play his game.

your friend called?

trapezeus
09-23-2009, 12:01 PM
If TO or Evans is on one on one coverage, treat it as either of them being open.

With Evans, throw it long and deep and make him run after it.

TO, throw it up and make him jump for it.

As of the bucs game, didn't he do the opposite? Both long tosses to evans required him to slow down. The dropped one, he had to jump for it.

TO's both bombs were right down the chute in full stride.

i see what you're saying though. i would think that evans is just a matter of throwing it as far as you can and have him go get it. While you probably want to just make sure TO has a play on the ball and let him deal with breaking tackles and making plays after the catch.

justasportsfan
09-23-2009, 12:07 PM
As of the bucs game, didn't he do the opposite? Both long tosses to evans required him to slow down. The dropped one, he had to jump for it..thats why you throw it long so he doesn't have to slow down and give the cb a chance at batting the ball or int. Let Evans chase the ball instead of the ball chasing Evans.

TO's both bombs were right down the chute in full stride.

I agree but I'm just saying I'll be fine with Trent throwing him a jump ball because of his size.

trapezeus
09-23-2009, 12:13 PM
i'm not disagreeing with you. i think what you said made sense and that it was just odd that the exact opposite happened.

i think maybe Trent just doesn't trust Evans' speed. Like in his mind he thinks, "i'm going to launch this and i'm pretty sure that it's far enough." but then he sees the tape and is like," i guess i can throw it further and with less arch. The guy seems to be waiting." I think maybe TO being a little slower is easier for trent to make sense of and that's why the passes were right in stride.

Hopefully it's something that works itself out during the season.

zone
09-23-2009, 12:55 PM
My observation is that he has a top 5 qb rating, has only thrown 1 pick and has had us in position to win both games.