X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cocamide
    • Oct 2006

Support the "Ralph is cheap" argument please

Over and over again, we have to hear about how cheap Ralph is. I'm not saying that this is false, but where is the data to support this claim? Does the following link not tell the whole story? According to it, we're in the middle of the pack when it comes to total payroll for 2008. If you look at the 2007 numbers, we're right near the top. Am I missing something?

• Nighthawk
    Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
    • Jul 2002

Re: Support the "Ralph is cheap" argument please

Originally posted by cocamide
    Over and over again, we have to hear about how cheap Ralph is. I'm not saying that this is false, but where is the data to support this claim? Does the following link not tell the whole story? According to it, we're in the middle of the pack when it comes to total payroll for 2008. If you look at the 2007 numbers, we're right near the top. Am I missing something?

http://content.usatoday.com/sports/f...aspx?year=2008
    Cash to cap is totally different then spending more money then the top teams in the league. It makes it look like they spend a bunch of money, but they don't. Somebody had a thread about this awhile back and there was a news article about it...I wish I could find it. It pretty much backed up the fact that Ralphy is one of the cheaper owners.

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
      Pinkerton's son
      • Feb 2006

I mean, we do always seem to have a ton of cap room. I dont really pay attention to salaries though, so i cant talk very much to this fact.

Comment

• yordad
        • Dec 2007

We are in the middle. That may count money that other clubs spread out over the length of the contract. It also may count dead cap space, afterall, if any money was due Walker or Dockery (from their signing bonuses), it counts this year.

We are probably a projected 50 million under next years cap.

Also, because players did not hit escalates in their contracts last yea, the Bills had an extra 20ish million allowed to them this year. Not only did Ralph just keep it, he didn't even spend up to what would have been allowed without it.
        "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• cocamide
          • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Nighthawk
          Cash to cap is totally different then spending more money then the top teams in the league. It makes it look like they spend a bunch of money, but they don't. Somebody had a thread about this awhile back and there was a news article about it...I wish I could find it. It pretty much backed up the fact that Ralphy is one of the cheaper owners.
          I was thinking it could be a cash-to-the-cap reason. I'd be curious to see the article to see how cash to the cap makes it look like we pay more than we do.

Comment

• Mudflap1
            Next Question!
            • Nov 2004

Ralph isn't that cheap on players. He'll splurge now and then and bring some guys in, or keep guys that we have.

However, Ralph has been cheap with GMs and coaches. He lucked out that Bill Polian was a young guy that got promoted internally and turned out to be the best GM in the NFL. Marv Levy was a journeyman coach who caught fire with the guys Polian brought in. The only other front office guy Ralph really spent money on was Tom Donahoe. Other than that... Russ Brandon, Marv Levy (GM), Gregg Williams, Mike Mularkey, Dick Jauron? Come on. All third tier choices. The only reason he brought in Tom Donahoe was because he let John Butler go, along with A.J. Smith. Smart move. Let's piss off Butler, Smith, and of course Bill Polian and get rid of all of them. The team hasn't been the same since.

Comment

• ddaryl
              Everything I post is sexual inuendo
              • Jan 2005

He definitley goes for th cheap option on GM's and HC's

players have been a mixed bag. this year I was upset that we didn't bring in a top notch C or LB in the free agency, However hargartner is playing real well... but a all pro LB would have been appreciated even though there were slim pickens in FA

Comment

• Philagape
                WIN NOW
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Nighthawk
                Was it this one? NE39 nailed it:

In 2008, the Bills were 16th in total payroll. http://content.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/salaries/totalpayroll.aspx?year=2008 In 2007 they were 4th. http://content.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/salaries/totalpayroll.aspx?year=2007 In 2006 they were fairly low 30th http://content.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/sa
                "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
                2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• cocamide
                  • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Philagape
                  Good find, thank you.

Comment

• yordad
                    • Dec 2007

Basically, other clubs want to win so bad they will count some of the signed contracts toward future years, allowing them to spend more now, whereas the Bills don't like to. I don't understand why either, especially if they are projecting no cap limit here shortly.

The Bills, of course, don't even spend up to their self imposed cash to cap, so they are perpetually less then average.
                    Last edited by yordad; 09-22-2009, 01:40 PM.
                    "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• yordad
                      • Dec 2007

One method seems to keep you in a constant state of average talent, whereas one method seems to give you years of an abundance, followed but a couple rebuilding years of repair.

Unless of course you are as successful as the Patriots, then successful proven vets take paycuts to come play for you.

Comment

• Stewie
                        Sarah Palin for President... of my pants!
                        • Aug 2002

unless you guys are reading stuff in other articles, I don't see how this has anything to do with cash to cap, which is accounting principles for cash flow management

this chart shows totoal payroll over the last 2 seaons. and if accurate, we're in the top third of spending over that timespan

so basically the OP was right...people need to stfu about ralph
                        Originally posted by Topdog
                        Damn , your're showing you're ignorance!
                        Originally posted by mercyrule
                        I love Weiner.
                        also cheese

Comment

• yordad
                          • Dec 2007

Originally posted by paulB
                          unless you guys are reading stuff in other articles, I don't see how this has anything to do with cash to cap, which is accounting principles for cash flow management

this chart shows totoal payroll over the last 2 seaons. and if accurate, we're in the top third of spending over that timespan

so basically the OP was right...people need to stfu about ralph
                          Just because you don't grasp it, doesn't mean we should stfu.

Comment

• Stewie
                            Sarah Palin for President... of my pants!
                            • Aug 2002

Originally posted by yordad
                            Just because you don't grasp it, doesn't mean we should stfu.
                            I don't grasp what exactly?

so far, I havent seen anyone tell me how an accounting princinple used by one of ralph wilson corporations has anything to do with the bills total payroll expenditure in 2007 or 2008, 2009.

care to try?
                            Originally posted by Topdog
                            Damn , your're showing you're ignorance!
                            I love Weiner.
                            also cheese

Comment

• yordad
                              • Dec 2007

Originally posted by paulB
                              I don't grasp what exactly?

so far, I havent seen anyone tell me how an accounting princinple used by one of ralph wilson corporations has anything to do with the bills total payroll expenditure in 2007 or 2008, 2009.

care to try?
                              I don't think I have enough time to fill you in.

I'll give you the short version.... The Bills are way under their cap, and they don't keep that money for next year. They are projected to be somewhere in the 50 million under range for next year. Get it?
                              Last edited by yordad; 09-22-2009, 02:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X