X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghz in pittsburgh
    • Aug 2004

Football Management 102

If, as most of us seems to agree, that the O-line consists of 2 rookies and a couple of late round draft picks and cast of from other teams are doing great so far, then you have to think the guy in charge of scouting them and the guy in charge of coaching them must know what they are doing. So the memo to Jauron and higher-ups - keep your hands off the O-Line management.

Now I don't know what makes the Bills to decide to sign this Meredith dude instead of the others. I, like most of people here, was thinking about Runyun or other vets because that seems to be what the Bills need right now. But after seeing the surprising moves on the O-Line overhaul all off-season and the game results so far, I have to say I have to side with Bills management on this decision. It just looks like they have a plan and they are sticking to it.

Someone here pointed out that he may very well be a guy the Bills had intention to draft in April. I won't be surprised that the move has the long term status of O-Line in mind. Let's face it, in my ideal world, Butler would be an ideal backup for multiple positions. As for starters, We've got top flight athletes with attitude in Bell, Levitre, Hangartner, and Wood. Butler fits the mode in attitude, but really not ideal RT body type. This Meredith sounds like a nice project for RT, though I heard a bit negative on his attitude.
  • trapezeus
    Legendary Zoner
    • Oct 2004

Re: Football Management 102

i hear what you're saying. but essentially that means scott has to be the guy and that we'll let merredith grow up on our team to add depth. as logn as scott can keep up his play and no more major injuries come in, we erally look like we might have a legitimate core of lineman for a few years. and that has to make all of us fans happy.

If runyan wwants to bea bill, we should pick him up. If the FO is getting the sense that he just wants the check for one more season and that he isn't really the same guy he was before, we should pass.

Comment

• BuffaloRanger
      WORK HARD. PLAY HARD. LIVE HARD.
      • Mar 2003

I'm not so sure about the Oline management. This is the team that moved their starting RT to LT. Told the world he was "good enough" by not drafting or signing a FA OT. Crossed their fingers and prayed that Bell would develop (he has). The they cut the LT replaced him with a rookie backed up by Chambers who easily made it through waivers. Backed up the RT spot with another Rookie.

Seems like things have worked out so far, but damn, that's high risk.

How about when Hangarter gets hurt we shift Wood to Center and put Meridith in at RG! The the Bills can field the first ALL-ROOKIE O Line in the history of the NFL.
      Buffalo Only and Always.

Comment

• BuffaloRanger
        WORK HARD. PLAY HARD. LIVE HARD.
        • Mar 2003

OK, first year players - not really all rookies.
        Buffalo Only and Always.

Comment

• X-Era
          What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by ghz in pittsburgh
          If, as most of us seems to agree, that the O-line consists of 2 rookies and a couple of late round draft picks and cast of from other teams are doing great so far, then you have to think the guy in charge of scouting them and the guy in charge of coaching them must know what they are doing. So the memo to Jauron and higher-ups - keep your hands off the O-Line management.

Now I don't know what makes the Bills to decide to sign this Meredith dude instead of the others. I, like most of people here, was thinking about Runyun or other vets because that seems to be what the Bills need right now. But after seeing the surprising moves on the O-Line overhaul all off-season and the game results so far, I have to say I have to side with Bills management on this decision. It just looks like they have a plan and they are sticking to it.

Someone here pointed out that he may very well be a guy the Bills had intention to draft in April. I won't be surprised that the move has the long term status of O-Line in mind. Let's face it, in my ideal world, Butler would be an ideal backup for multiple positions. As for starters, We've got top flight athletes with attitude in Bell, Levitre, Hangartner, and Wood. Butler fits the mode in attitude, but really not ideal RT body type. This Meredith sounds like a nice project for RT, though I heard a bit negative on his attitude.
          Hold up, while I agree that the OL has looked better than expected so far:

1) Edwards has been sacked 6 times in 2 games... that puts him on par for 48 sacks for the year.

2) We are 1 and 1, not 2 and 0.

3) I think its unrealistic to think you can just keep adding rookies, 2nd year guys, or undrafteds and think that they ALL will play like solid vets. Our luck will run out at some point.

Lets not give the FO too much credit either.

That said, what were doing appears to not be a disaster and as long as they keep getting better, we should be in great shape. But its way to early to evaluate...

Or to start a 102 training class.
          Last edited by X-Era; 09-22-2009, 04:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X