• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

A NON ARTICLE (for me) Bills thought

I been so caught up with my BSD stuff and trying to get articles and news out there so often, I haven't really had a chance to just make a general football message board post and relect on this team right now. So..

I have to admit, this team has shocked the **** out of me.

I left them for dead three weeks ago. ****ty preseason, horrible OL, clueless coaching, etc etc.

They have played great two weeks in a row. One mistake is the difference between being up THREE games on NE two weeks in.

Im starting to see something in Trent Edwards that I really really like.

and this OL in the middle is absolutely amazing. . All the talk is about the rookies (deserved) but I'll tell you what-- Hangartner has been damn near flawless.

and on the defense, Whitner has suddenly turned into.. gasp. an IMPACT PLAYER! (really)

And even Ellison, aside from the Ben Watson 4th QT torching, has looked very very good.

This isnt the 4 win team I pegged them to be.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE
  • Goobylal
    • Jan 2004

Re: A NON ARTICLE (for me) Bills thought

I'm most surprise with Levitre. I thought he'd struggle a lot more. He looks great, along with Wood and Hangartner, who I started to doubt after the Packers game.

Comment

• Buddo
      • Mar 2007

The Hangman does appear to be 'as advertised'.
      Whitner is probably benefitting from actually being allowed to concentrate on just one position.
      Ellison did appear to be stepping up his game, even before Poz got injured. I don't for one moment think he will become 'all world', ever, but he definitely doesn't look out of place on the field. He won't be the only LB who gets embarrassed by a TE on occasion, either.
      I'm starting to get a sense, or a feeling, that this team is responding to its critics by pulling together, much as they did after the tragedy of the KE situation, and recent off field incidents, have strengthened that.

Comment

• psubills62
        Legendary Zoner
        • Sep 2008

I agree. I was surprised how much they're moving guys in the running game. They're not perfect, but I've seen many holes for Freddie. I'm very intrigued to see what Lynch can do when he's back.

Honestly, it seems to me as though AVP is doing a very good job, especially working with Studesville. After firing Schonert, I know AVP said something about working with Studesville to implement the running plays that worked the best. At the time, I thought it was crowd-pleasing mumbo jumbo because none of our running plays seemed to work. But lo and behold, we have a good running game.

We still have yet to be tested against a 3-4 defense. Miami will be a decent test, but I think the Jets will be the final grade. Although handling a 3-4 defense isn't nearly as important now, with the Pats moving to a 4-3.

All in all, this team has done things that have surprised me. I'm still not optimistic about our playoff chances, but I am excited to see more in the coming weeks. The gameplans have been quite good, and through two games we have managed to have good offensive plans laid that generally have surprised our opponents. How long can AVP continue to stay one step ahead?

One last thought (sorry for the long post): I think we're finally seeing the benefits of a legitimate #2 WR. It's opening up the short passing game (which is obviously Trent's strength) and the running game. Having two WR's like Evans and Owens who can go deep any time...and actually utilizing that deep ball creates so many opportunities for this offense to move the ball. It's actually exciting to watch the team. And I think one thing that is very important is that they didn't appear psychologically beat before the Pats game even started...maybe they'll pull out a few against good teams this year.
        "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
        - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• mysticsoto
          Too sober for this...
          • Apr 2004

While we're giving our young Olinemen credit (and well deserved) let's give some credit to the coaching too. There's no way I thought Kugler would have them ready this quickly to be performing like they are!!! He might deserve to get a coach of the year award!

Comment

• jamze132
            Don’t hate…
            • Jun 2003

So is anyone ready to give Dick Jauron some credit? I will say i thought he looked like a "hipster" last week when he sported those shades. When he wears the shades, we are undefeated...

Keep the shades Dick!

Comment

• clumping platelets

The Lord sure do work in mysterious ways

Comment

• YardRat
                Well, lookie here...
                • Dec 2004

I'm pleasantly surprised also, but still don't expect much from this season.
                YardRat Wall of Fame
                #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Meathead
                  Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
                  • Jul 2002

sticking with my six win prediction until i see something that changes that

- tb was predicted to be a win anyway in that six win season
                  - did much better than expected against the cheats, but then trotted out the mind numbingly stupid game surrendering play that has become a trademark of the dick era

looking good most of the time doesnt matter in this league. you gotta make the key plays at key times, and avoid the key mistakes at key times, to win. the track record of this team under this coach doing that is not good. i see no reason so far to think that pattern wont continue

six wins
                  One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• Commissioner
                    • Dec 2004

I'm gonna give Jauron credit for actually having the set of nutz to fire his OC and cut his left tackle right before the season. He just may know what he's doing.... especially after Schonert blasted him in the news about wanting a pop warner offense.

Simplifying the offense was probably the best thing he could of done for a young offense with about 8 new starters.
                    Draft Gabbert at #3!

Comment

• Dujek
                      Hall of Fame Zoner
                      • Jan 2008

Originally posted by jamze132
                      So is anyone ready to give Dick Jauron some credit? I will say i thought he looked like a "hipster" last week when he sported those shades. When he wears the shades, we are undefeated...

Keep the shades Dick!
                      The other thing is, in both games HE looked fired up. He was barking orders from the sideline and actually looked interested in what was going on, rather than standing there clapping his hands and staring vacantly into space.

We blamed Jauron for holding Schonert and Fairchild back, maybe it was the other way round...

Comment

• Jeff1220
                        H to the 12:20
                        • Jul 2002

Looking at the schedule, I'm still thinging 6 wins. But that's quite an improvement over what I would've thought 3 weeks ago.

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
                          Pinkerton's son
                          • Feb 2006

Originally posted by Dujek
                          The other thing is, in both games HE looked fired up. He was barking orders from the sideline and actually looked interested in what was going on, rather than standing there clapping his hands and staring vacantly into space.

We blamed Jauron for holding Schonert and Fairchild back, maybe it was the other way round...
                          You're right! i remember looking up at the jumbotron last sunday and *gasp* JAURON WAS SCREAAAMING AT SOMEONE!!! I was so surprised!

Comment

• SABURZFAN
                            short bus extraordinaire
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by patmoran2006
                            I been so caught up with my BSD stuff and trying to get articles and news out there so often, I haven't really had a chance to just make a general football message board post and relect on this team right now. So..

I have to admit, this team has shocked the **** out of me.

I left them for dead three weeks ago. ****ty preseason, horrible OL, clueless coaching, etc etc.

They have played great two weeks in a row. One mistake is the difference between being up THREE games on NE two weeks in.

Im starting to see something in Trent Edwards that I really really like.

and this OL in the middle is absolutely amazing. . All the talk is about the rookies (deserved) but I'll tell you what-- Hangartner has been damn near flawless.

and on the defense, Whitner has suddenly turned into.. gasp. an IMPACT PLAYER! (really)

And even Ellison, aside from the Ben Watson 4th QT torching, has looked very very good.

This isnt the 4 win team I pegged them to be.

they have done a 180, compared to the preseason. i hope they continue to play good solid football throughout the year and prove the doubters, like myself, wrong.
                            Originally posted by yordad
                            Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                              • Mar 2005

Pat, post more as it's nice to have some other commentary on here.

Couple thoughts from the "pessimist" here:

1) The o-line has played much better than I ever thought. However is it based on the no-huddle, Edwards, or Kugler?

2) I think there is way too much love for the D around here. We are not getting to the QB and when Brees lights us up like a Christmas tree the "our DE's suck" threads will be clogging this board. Hell we couldn't get a pass rush on Leftwich with a backup Ceneter out there.

3) As Rockstar posted one win against a team we should beat and a close loss against a team that isn't as good as we thought.

4) Edwards is still getting criticized even though he is currently our best player. READ AGAIN!!! Edwards is our best player!!!! Period.

5) Fred Jackson is our second best player but is it really a surprise. If the coaches screw this up after Lynch comes back they only have themselves to blame.

6) The offense is entertaining. With that said 4 key drops between Evans and Owens is unacceptable.
                              Last edited by HHURRICANE; 09-23-2009, 08:45 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X