PDA

View Full Version : Meredith Brings Potential, Athleticism And Maturity Issues to Bills

patmoran2006
09-22-2009, 10:36 PM
I got the chance to speak to a few Green Bay Packers reporters this afternoon.

ARTICLE (http://www.buffalosportsdaily.com/2009/09/meredith-brings-potential-athleticism-and-maturity-issues-to-bills/#more-3098)

Dying_-2-_Live
09-22-2009, 10:43 PM
Sounds like he has talent... but if all he's going to do is become a distraction then this was a bad move. We dont need lip from a back up tackle

TigerJ
09-22-2009, 10:43 PM
Good article, Pat. Explains why he dropped in the draft. Not a lot of risk in signing him though.

patmoran2006
09-22-2009, 10:45 PM
Im a little befuddled on why we signed a project who is 100% projected to be a left tackle. I mean he literally didn't take a single snap at RT for Green Bay.

Guess he'll compete with Bell in 2010?

yordad
09-22-2009, 10:57 PM
I am sooo ok with finding a guy for the right who is talented enough for the left. It like the Bills are collecting young, talented, athletic, fast (for linemen), mobile, attitude-having lineman. And, until its a problem, I don't have a problem.

But you better believe if we have Chambers lining up because of another injury at tackle, the Bills will need more seasoned reinforcements brought in. If it happens, lets just hope someone is still available.

Romes
09-22-2009, 10:58 PM
Good stuff Pat! Really, appreciate all the work you are putting in!

I assume this was more Brandon's call than Juaron's. With Juaron's job on the line this year, I would think he would prefer to sign a stop gap than a project player.

patmoran2006
09-22-2009, 11:00 PM
I know he's probably insane for thinking it, but I really dont think Jauron fears losing his job

(and thanks for the props, romes)

SABURZFAN
09-22-2009, 11:02 PM
thanks for keeping this thread going, for yordad was in danger of putting us to sleep with his pathetic post.

Demon
09-22-2009, 11:55 PM
Thanks for the article. Got to know what type of player we were getting. I only knew bits and pieces but that really draws it out well. It's promising for the future. It's a move the Colts or the Pats would make, but not us. We needed something for right now. Still don't know what that could be, maybe there was nothing at all? I just wish they had found something to help us this season. I took me a while to trust our OL.... it's gonna take me a while to gain trust in Scott. lol

yordad
09-22-2009, 11:57 PM
I think the Bills liked Scott all along. Much like Bell.

patmoran2006
09-23-2009, 12:14 AM
If anyone also posts on the Stadium Wall over a TBD could they post this?

They refuse to let me post on there, because they told me I am only on their board to promote my own website.

Well of course!!!

But at least with legit articles, they should be up there too. So somebody hook a brutha up and post this please!

Lexwhat
09-23-2009, 12:17 AM
I think I have it all figured out.

The Bills want to develop LT projects, turn them into pro-bowlers, and then trade them away for 1st Round picks.

In turn, the Bills will use these 1st Round picks to draft Cornerbacks, but ultimately let them walk once their contracts are up.

Relax -- it's a joke...

patmoran2006
09-23-2009, 12:44 AM
I think I have it all figured out.

The Bills want to develop LT projects, turn them into pro-bowlers, and then trade them away for 1st Round picks.

In turn, the Bills will use these 1st Round picks to draft Cornerbacks, but ultimately let them walk once their contracts are up.

Relax -- it's a joke...
LOL, either that's really funny-- or I've been up way the hell too long.

Romes
09-23-2009, 01:27 AM
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xb5NWAX-f1s&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xb5NWAX-f1s&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Here is a very positive review by the same people that did Bell's a last year. These guys also rate Meredith as more of a RT prospect. Maybe GB just wasn't playing him at his best position... :idunno:

jmb1099
09-23-2009, 05:30 AM
good find... very interesting

<object height="340" width="560">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xb5NWAX-f1s&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="340" width="560"></object>

Here is a very positive review by the same people that did Bell's a last year. These guys also rate Meredith as more of a RT prospect. Maybe GB just wasn't playing him at his best position... :idunno:

methos4ever
09-23-2009, 06:25 AM
Im a little befuddled on why we signed a project who is 100% projected to be a left tackle. I mean he literally didn't take a single snap at RT for Green Bay.

Great articles on that site too Pat!

When you look at his scouting report, some people were convinced he was a solid LT, others said he could be a great RT/Swing interior guy as well. I think they'll look for him to eventually push Chambers off the team with Meredith getting a shot at beating out either Scott or Butler after that. No risk, solid player. I remember DB discussing him a bit too during our draft conversations - I knew I liked his experience and run blocking...

ddaryl
09-23-2009, 08:01 AM
that video has me excited. Strong fast and smart...

This might be a risky move but I am liking it

Pinkerton Security
09-23-2009, 08:22 AM
that video has me excited. Strong fast and smart...

This might be a risky move but I am liking it

Ya when i read his profile yesterday they were saying one of his biggest attributes was his intelligence and ability to adapt quickly on the field. I like that.

As others have said, we have had success with taking these athletic guys and making them into legit players, so why not try again?

my only concern is Scott...i will be watching him very closely. Who will he be lined up against vs. NO? Is will Smith a LE?

SABURZFAN
09-23-2009, 08:31 AM

pat, you make it sound like a bad thing. you can never have too many LT's in the NFL. hell, i hope they get another one and they ALL excel. then the Bills would be sitting in a nice position for a trade down the road.

patmoran2006
09-23-2009, 08:32 AM
Good point

madness
09-23-2009, 09:10 AM
He fits the mold of lineman Buffalo has brought in so far... smart, quick and agile, plays with a mean streak and finishes of his blocks.

Most of the scouting reports I have read on him projected him as a RT.

bigbub2352
09-23-2009, 09:17 AM
Sounds like we went the cheap route to me

mysticsoto
09-23-2009, 10:58 AM

Why? If we brought in someone like Kwame Harris, it would have still been cheap...

ddaryl
09-23-2009, 11:11 AM

I think the guy can and will be brought along as a RT in Buffalo. He has the strenght/size, he just has the added bonues of benig quick as well.. Why GB felt he was nothing more then a LT is a bit perplexing

The added added bonus is if he develops as a RT he may also be capable of backing up LT or some day starting depending on circumstance.

We'll see how this one plays out, but having another young athletic, stong T on the roster is ok by me...

Lone Stranger
09-23-2009, 11:13 AM
I find your article to be quite informative. In the same regard I find it a bit depressing because we picked up a player who is not ready to contribute. If we have any more injuries we will be in rough shape. I felt, at the time, when the Bills were trimming to 53 players that we should keep 9 offensive linemen. They didn't do so and now they have problems.

ChristopherWalken
09-23-2009, 11:17 AM
The Bills continually prefer to gamble with their scouting team and pay out cheaply rather than sign an established veteran for higher costs.

IMO, there are just not that many diamonds in the rough.

Not every piece of coal becomes a diamond. Using the Bills theory of establishing a team, in the end you'll end up with more lumps of useless coal then diamonds... and whole lot of wasted time to get there.

I hate to say it, but the Patriots know how to assemble a team the right way. They've built a team through the draft and established it by signing the right certified veterans to fill the holes and balance the team accordingly.

The Bills just seem to prefer to do everything the hard way; from gambling on high end draft picks that are projected to go much later, to signing undrafted unproven projects.

I mean, I think they do a phenominal job of training these guys, but in the end you end up with one or two exceptional players and a mediocre supporting squad.

Just so damn frustrating.

mysticsoto
09-23-2009, 12:00 PM
The Bills continually prefer to gamble with their scouting team and pay out cheaply rather than sign an established veteran for higher costs.

IMO, there are just not that many diamonds in the rough.

Not every piece of coal becomes a diamond. Using the Bills theory of establishing a team, in the end you'll end up with more lumps of useless coal then diamonds... and whole lot of wasted time to get there.

I hate to say it, but the Patriots know how to assemble a team the right way. They've built a team through the draft and established it by signing the right certified veterans to fill the holes and balance the team accordingly.

The Bills just seem to prefer to do everything the hard way; from gambling on high end draft picks that are projected to go much later, to signing undrafted unproven projects.

I mean, I think they do a phenominal job of training these guys, but in the end you end up with one or two exceptional players and a mediocre supporting squad.

Just so damn frustrating.

On the other hand, you could say that Washington has done just that, and tried to bring in certified veterans and they've been kind of a disaster.

W/r/t Olinemen...so far, the Bills have made great strides in picking the correct people. They picked up a great Center and 2 Guards, developed several OTs from our bench/PS and if they see something in this guy that they think can be developed, then I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. Maybe he has something similar to the other guys on the line and they feel bringing him in now while the others are developing is the right time to develop him also.

Clearly GB was planning on him starting soon for them so he must have really good talent. But Chambers is the immediate backup anyway, so I don't know what people are getting so upset on this signing.

justasportsfan
09-23-2009, 12:01 PM
Clearly GB was planning on him starting soon for them so he must have really good talent. .
by being on the PS? I don't know about you but I thought you usually go from PS to back up before being considered a starter.

DraftBoy
09-23-2009, 12:02 PM
Methos hit the nail on the head as he and I discussed Meredith pre-draft. While I project Meredith as a LT prospect he can play RT as well. So can Bell for that matter and Id say Bell projects better at RT and Meredith better at LT. Its not a bad thing to have two athletic OT's. I think this was an INCREDIBLE pick up for our team.

Bell and Meredith realistically could be decade long bookends. That's how I see it.

Goobylal
09-23-2009, 12:07 PM
Read this from Chris Brown:

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2009/09/23/my-nfl-combine-conversation-with-jamon-meredith/

Interesting about making the switch from tackle to guard because it was best for the team, and not him personally (and he was correct). I also like that he says he can play either OT spot.

methos4ever
09-23-2009, 12:08 PM
Methos hit the nail on the head as he and I discussed Meredith pre-draft. While I project Meredith as a LT prospect he can play RT as well. So can Bell for that matter and Id say Bell projects better at RT and Meredith better at LT. Its not a bad thing to have two athletic OT's. I think this was an INCREDIBLE pick up for our team.

Bell and Meredith realistically could be decade long bookends. That's how I see it.
And if Meredith develops on a quicker pace than thought, I would not be surprised in the least if we went unbalanced a few times on the line running or passing...

Philagape
09-23-2009, 12:10 PM

As opposed to what?

Someone who's available at this time of year would be cheap just because of that. If they're unemployed, they aren't in demand.

mysticsoto
09-23-2009, 02:56 PM
by being on the PS? I don't know about you but I thought you usually go from PS to back up before being considered a starter.

I recall Peters moving from PS to starter pretty quickly. For that matter so has Bell (from last year PS to starting this year).

Dr. Lecter
09-23-2009, 03:08 PM
Bell was on the active roster last year.

And Peters is an anomoly. I don't see where it was clear GB was going to make a starter. If they were, they would have signed him adn cut a guy off their roster.

Mind you, I don't mind the pick-up but let's not carried away.

mysticsoto
09-23-2009, 03:16 PM

And Peters is an anomoly. I don't see where it was clear GB was going to make a starter. If they were, they would have signed him adn cut a guy off their roster.

I'm not getting carried away. In researching the guy, I've read several articles that said that he would likely be the heir apparent to the Tackle position sooner rather than later. Maybe those writers were GB homers, but nevertheless, they spoke highly of him. I don't know much about him other than Kugler seems to like him. And considering his success rate lately with young guys, that's good enough for me.

mysticsoto
09-25-2009, 12:31 PM

Just speculation from Chris Brown, but I agree w/him. I think GB would likely be pulling Meredith into their roster right about now and are probably not happy they lost him:

(http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2009/09/24/think-the-pack-might-not-be-happy-with-bills/)

Think the Pack might not be happy with Bills? (http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2009/09/24/think-the-pack-might-not-be-happy-with-bills/)

By Chris Brown - Posted September 24th, 2009
According to ESPN’s Adam Schefter (http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter) the Green Bay Packers will be without LT Chad Clifton until Week 6. Having the Bills sign OT Jamon Meredith off their practice squad Tuesday could not have made the Pack all that happy.
Not saying that Meredith was going to start at left tackle in place of Clifton this week. That honor will probably fall to LG Daryn Colledge or RT Allen Barbre. From a depth perspective however, you’ve got to believe they’d have at least considered moving Meredith up to the active roster as an emergency tackle.
But hey that’s the business.

Goobylal
09-25-2009, 06:20 PM
I'd like to know why the Packers didn't sign Meredith to their 53-man roster. Maybe they think he sucks? Or maybe they did and Meredith wanted out? I don't know, but the proof of the pudding is in the eating. Time will tell if this was a bad move on GB's part, like the Giants not signing Peters after the Bills cut him in the last wave of cuts his rookie training camp, but WRT the Bills, worst-case scenario is he doesn't pan-out and they release him.

PECKERWOOD
09-25-2009, 08:03 PM

Yeah, they'll compete for the backup job after we draft a starter in the 1st round. :up: