• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Juice Is Loose
    All-Pro Zoner
    • Feb 2009

Sorry but the Saints aren't that good

Brees? Yes. The rest of the team? No.

Lets look at last season. They had a 8-8 record all while Brees pushed Marino for the passing yardage record. 8-8 people, one game better than us. We had the Pats, Dolphins, and Phins to play twice each, and each was better than most teams in the NFC.

The Saints record on the road was 2-6 consisting of losses at Washington, Denver, Carolina, Atlanta, Tampa, and Chicago. Out of those teams, Carolina and Atlanta made the playoffs. So to those of you accusing the Bills of sucking against good teams, it looks like New Orleans sucks against lousy teams, or almost all teams on the road.

Their two wins this season were at home and against Detroit and a Mcnabbless Philladelphia Eagles.

They are currently 21st in total defense, playing against Matt Stafford and Kevin Kolb. We are 28th and we played Tom Brady and Byron Leftwich.

Add up the starts. Stafford and Kolb combined for 0 before they played the Saints. Leftwich and Brady obviously much more.

They are the 8th most penalized team, and that is at home! No crowd noise on offense, all the crown noise on defense, yet still the 8th most penalized.

Obviously, the Bills are going to have to score 30+ points in order to make a game of this, but against this defense, that should be easy.

Our defense is created for teams like this. Our deep shell will keep the plays medium in size, and I don't think that they are nearly as physical as we are on the LOS.

I say Bills win 35-31. But I wouldn't consider this that "top team" that we have to beat to get respect. I think after this week we will see that the Saints are an offense only team, which rarely translates into a great record. In the NFL anyway.
    Last edited by The Juice Is Loose; 09-23-2009, 10:01 AM.
  • psubills62
    Legendary Zoner
    • Sep 2008

Re: Sorry but the Saints aren't that good

I don't think it will be nearly as easy to win as you expect.

However, the Saints have gotten the benefit of playing Kolb and Stafford, which a lot of their proponents won't mention. I think it will be closer than people expect. I also believe the score will be lower than most predict. It will be difficult to win, but it's very possible, especially since we're at home.
    "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
    - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• Prov401
      President of WADL (Whitner Anti-Defamation League)
      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by The Juice Is Loose
      Brees? Yes. The rest of the team? No.

Lets look at last season. They had a 8-8 record all while Brees pushed Marino for the passing yardage record. 8-8 people, one game better than us. We had the Pats, Dolphins, and Phins to play twice each, and each was better than most teams in the NFC.

The Saints record on the road was 2-6 consisting of losses at Washington, Denver, Carolina, Atlanta, Tampa, and Chicago. Out of those teams, Carolina and Atlanta made the playoffs. So to those of you accusing the Bills of sucking against good teams, it looks like New Orleans sucks against lousy teams, or almost all teams on the road.

Their two wins this season were at home and against Detroit and a Mcnabbless Philladelphia Eagles.

They are currently 21st in total defense, playing against Matt Stafford and Kevin Kolb. We are 28th and we played Tom Brady and Byron Leftwich.

Add up the starts. Stafford and Kolb combined for 0 before they played the Saints. Leftwich and Brady obviously much more.

They are the 8th most penalized team, and that is at home! No crowd noise on offense, all the crown noise on defense, yet still the 8th most penalized.

Obviously, the Bills are going to have to score 30+ points in order to make a game of this, but against this defense, that should be easy.

Our defense is created for teams like this. Our deep shell will keep the plays medium in size, and I don't think that they are nearly as physical as we are on the LOS.

I say Bills win 35-31. But I wouldn't consider this that "top team" that we have to beat to get respect. I think after this week we will see that the Saints are an offense only team, which rarely translates into a great record. In the NFL anyway.
      I agree that the Saints get too much praise for only two weeks of play. However, they are an improved team compared to 2008.

To correct what you had up their, they beat the Eagles in Philadelphia, not at home. What scares me about the Saints is Brees, and him alone. He's playing lights out, and we need to blitz the kitchen sink at this guy. Yea, the Saints played the Eagles without Mcnabb, but don't forget, the Eagles have a good defense. What freightens me is, the Eagles are and have been the number 1 blitzing team this decade, and they still couldn't sniff Brees, let alone stop him from putting up 40+.

Tough game, but I think the Bills can pull this one out.
      Last edited by Prov401; 09-23-2009, 10:10 AM.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
        • Jul 2002

This is going to be a VERY tought game for the Bills.

Is Mckelvin playing?

Comment

• casdhf
          • Jul 2002

It should be fun to watch, win or lose.
          Originally posted by BillsZone Mod
          cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Comment

• The Juice Is Loose
            All-Pro Zoner
            • Feb 2009

man i thought they were at home.

im not saying they can't beat us. i'm just saying i dont view them as some elite team. i honestly think jacksonville is a better team.

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
              Pinkerton's son
              • Feb 2006

they have some very good playmakers besides brees on O.

Devery Henderson is very fast and is perfect for this system. Reggie Bush can score on any play. Colston is very good. Their other WR's are solid as well. Shockey knows how to get open even if he has fallen off.

I agree with your premise, i think if we stick to our gameplan we have a decent shot. But their O might be one of the best ever, and we need to slow them down to have a chance.

Comment

• trapezeus
                Legendary Zoner
                • Oct 2004

Saints underacheived last year. I remember at the beginning of the bills great run that we threw together a dud of an 8-8 team that lost because ronnie harmon most likely bet against the bills (i am joking about that).

anyways, i think the saints have beat up on teams that weren't good or playing at 100%. But that's a sign of a good team, no? Make a bad team look worse? When is the last time we've been treated to that? I guess you could say the chiefs game last year, but we've never done it consistently.

I think the Saints are talented and are lead by a good QB.

I think PSU is also right. I don't think the score will be a total shoot out, but it's going to require the bills to Score TD's and pass on fieldgoals.

The bills can't come out slow. If they can put the first half of the cowboys game together from 2 years ago, that would be huge. because i think our offense is more attuned to helping out a killer defensive performance than in years past.

Comment

• Ebenezer
                  Give me a minute...
                  • Jul 2002

It's amazing what a high power offense can compensate for...ask the Bills circa 1990-1994...be very worried as to what the Saints can do.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• Ebenezer
                    Give me a minute...
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by trapezeus
                    Saints underacheived last year. I remember at the beginning of the bills great run that we threw together a dud of an 8-8 team that lost because ronnie harmon most likely bet against the bills (i am joking about that).

anyways, i think the saints have beat up on teams that weren't good or playing at 100%. But that's a sign of a good team, no? Make a bad team look worse? When is the last time we've been treated to that? I guess you could say the chiefs game last year, but we've never done it consistently.

I think the Saints are talented and are lead by a good QB.

I think PSU is also right. I don't think the score will be a total shoot out, but it's going to require the bills to Score TD's and pass on fieldgoals.

The bills can't come out slow. If they can put the first half of the cowboys game together from 2 years ago, that would be huge. because i think our offense is more attuned to helping out a killer defensive performance than in years past.
                    the Bills come out slow and it could be 21-0 in the first quarter.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• Ebenezer
                      Give me a minute...
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Ebenezer
                      the Bills come out slow and it could be 21-0 in the first quarter.
                      i'm hoping for torrential downpours during the game.

Comment

• trapezeus
                        Legendary Zoner
                        • Oct 2004

call me crazy, but i think if a determined Bills team gets on the field (like they did in NE and in Buffalo for the Bucs), the bills can hang with the saints. Saints don't have much in defense to worry about. I think if we played in NO it's another story. I think the loud stadium and confusing fronts could slow the saints down a bit.

However, i do worry that Shockey could get a monster game with no one really covering him. That soft part of the middle that our LB's can't cover and our super dropped back SS and FS won't be in the area for, worry me.

i think we might see a watered down version of the Bills-49ers where neither teams punted. However, i think one team will punt in this game and that will be the difference.

Comment

• EDS
                          • Jan 2003

Accurate passers have really killed the Bills in recent years because they can take advantage of the huge cushion the Bills DBs provide. Brees is very accurate and right now he has a variety of weapons to use - Henderson is a dangerous deep threat, Colston a tremendous red zone target, Shockey a decent chain mover and the backs can catch.

The Bills have given up more passing yards then all but one team this year. That is a red flag in my book with a top QB like Brees coming in on top of his game.

The Bills great start last year has me weary of getting too excited this year.

Comment

• cocamide
                            • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Ebenezer
                            i'm hoping for torrential downpours during the game.
                            Ditto, let's hope the weatherman gets it right for once:

Comment

• yordad
                              • Dec 2007

Philly held Caroline to 169 yards of TOTAL offense, in Carolina. They then gave up 421 yards to the Saints who are far from 1 dimensional.

Whose D is better, Philly's or B-lo's? The Saints put up 48 on the road vs a better D last week. What does that project out to be against the Bills, 60?

I doubt the Bills can match that output from their offense.

All I can say for optimistic for the Bills is..."Good thing games aren't played on paper," cuz if it was, the Bills would lose 60-23.
                              "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

Working...
                              X