PDA

View Full Version : Detailed OL analysis

psubills62
09-23-2009, 07:25 PM
I've never seen this guy's work posted on here. Do people not like to post Buffalo Rumblings articles on here? I apologize if I'm breaking an unwritten rule, but I thought this was a very good breakdown. It's long (covers every offensive play in the game), but it's enough to read the end (the chart is a very good breakdown).

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2009/9/22/1050364/notes-from-the-line-tampa-bay#storyjump

Here's the final paragraphs:

A few things stood out as I watched the game, most of which related to the offensive line but a few did not.

The gaudy 16.5-yard average through the left B gap was helped out tremendously by the 43 yard run. Also, the 6.25 average through the left C gap would have been a good deal more pedestrian without the 24 yard run included. The offensive line as a whole continues to need to eliminate mistakes in pass protection. It was good to see that Levitre wasn't a one game wonder and also terrific to see Wood improving as well. The TE situation may be dicey for a while, which could be a real problem for Buffalo. Fine has never demonstrated the ability to be a receiving threat. If Nelson can't go I can see Stupar being activated to be that underneath outlet that is giving defenses so much trouble.

First, the Bucs were all over the bootleg pass to Schouman. Pretty much every time the Bills ran the play Schouman had someone on him from the moment he released from the line. Perhaps the Bills have gone to that well a bit too often. It doesn't matter if it's a play that the offense runs well if the defense consistently diagnoses it.

After the game the Bucs coach called out Gaines Adams. It's easy to see why. They moved Adams (90) from left to right defensive end all game long. He just wasn't a factor until the last run play. It's kind of amazing to me that a Top 5 draft choice can be stymied by a pair of tackles with one game of starting experience between them. Further, the Bills continued to rely on the tackles to win their matchups without assistance so Adams can't even gripe about being constantly chipped. Gaines Adams appears to be an outright bust.

Scott and Butler split the number of runs evenly. The Bills ran right only 5 times with Scott in the game for 21 (4.2 ypa) total yards. You can try to read into it but the Bills only ran left 5 times after Butler was out. Take out the 43 yard play and you're left with 4 runs to the left for 16 yards or 4.0 ypa. I don't think the Bills will be shy about running right in the coming week.
While some point out the number of blitzes that the Bucs unleashed (8 out of 35) the Bills haven't seen a pressure defense. The Bucs stacked box only 4 times, 3 of which were near the goal line at the end of the game and the other was a QB sneak. So far neither the Pats or the Bucs chose to shut down the run and short pass and make Edwards beat them with long passes to Evans and Owens. Someone will give it a try. The Saints (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/NOS) have an awesome offense that can score with anyone and a so-so defense. They seem like the perfect team to load the box against the Bills, blitzing and run blitzing with an abandon. Why wouldn't they try it?

Trent Edwards against the blitz should give most teams (as in teams other than the Saints who can score whenever they want) pause when it comes to blitzing heavily. Of the 8 blitzes, Edwards threw TDs of 32 and 43 yards, had a 13 yard first down and a 9 yard pick up. Evans couldn't come up with a TD catch (yes, there was good coverage) and Owens dropped a certain long gainer/possible TD. Edwards really had only one bad pass against the blitz (pass 9) as his only other pass against the blitz (3) got to the receivers hands. Edwards is deadly against the blitz and can burn teams that pressure him.

I thought the last paragraph was very interesting. At least for the one game, Edwards was very good at reading the blitz. Here's hoping he becomes that good at reading the blitz against a 3-4.

One thing I was surprised at was how little our tackles were helped by the tight ends with chip blocks or double-teams. Jonathan Scott was helped once, as was Bell. It sounds like Bell got beat a few times, but learned his lesson against the spin move and did well overall.

alohabillsfan
09-23-2009, 07:43 PM
great read! Thanks

Don't Panic
09-23-2009, 07:47 PM
A 3-4 will have other problems if we go empty backfield, as we did a few times against the Bucs... especially if its a few plays into the drive and we're going no huddle. That Bucs game tape should keep DC's playing Trent a little more honest, at least until someone proves the blitz can be effective otherwise (which realistically should happen relatively soon).

The O Line analysis was a great read, psu. That guy definitely does his homework. Thanks for sharing.

mybills
09-24-2009, 08:54 AM
Nice read. He didn't get his wish with Stupar, since Fine will be taking Schouman's place.

madness
09-24-2009, 09:05 AM
I read their stuff regularly and I usually post their articles on the front page.

psubills62
09-24-2009, 09:08 AM
I read their stuff regularly and I usually post their articles on the front page.

Hm, guess I'm just oblivious then! :tired:

madness
09-24-2009, 09:20 AM
Hm, guess I'm just oblivious then! :tired:

No, I've just had a serious reading problem since I was young. I tried to seek out help but for some reason people swear it's good for you.

zone
09-24-2009, 09:20 AM
I hate any articles that say "take out" this or "take away" that. Why are we taking anything out and then trying to make an opinion on it?

The stats are a result of the actual plays that happened. Anything else is pure speculation and hypothetical.

yordad
09-24-2009, 11:32 AM
I hate any articles that say "take out" this or "take away" that. Why are we taking anything out and then trying to make an opinion on it?

The stats are a result of the actual plays that happened. Anything else is pure speculation and hypothetical.Anomalies happen.

BillsOwnAll
09-24-2009, 11:47 AM
I hate how he says if you take out the 43 yard run and 24 yard run. You cant just take them out. The oline made them happen. OB. its not going to happen every play. But you cant talk about Avg. per carry if your not going to count every run.

BillsOwnAll
09-24-2009, 11:48 AM

The stats are a result of the actual plays that happened. Anything else is pure speculation and hypothetical.
lol didnt realize you already posted this. I read the article and got instantly mad and posted my thoughts. Im glad someone agrees.

psubills62
09-24-2009, 12:11 PM
I hate how he says if you take out the 43 yard run and 24 yard run. You cant just take them out. The oline made them happen. OB. its not going to happen every play. But you cant talk about Avg. per carry if your not going to count every run.

I agree with you and zone. That's usually what a running game is: 3-4 yard gains with a random 20 or 40 yard gain in there. If you take out Frank Gore's two 80-yard runs this past week, his numbers look fairly pedestrian. If you look at Adrian Peterson's career without his long runs, his numbers don't look that great.

However, at the same time there is value in looking at stats without the anomalies factored in. I don't think he's taking any credit away from the OL or Jackson due to those runs...just simply trying to get a better picture of what may happen on average for each run.

zone
09-24-2009, 12:45 PM
Anomalies happen.
Not after the game is played.

thenry20
09-24-2009, 02:32 PM
I was already super impressed with their performance in game 1. Our line took it to the Pats D-line all nite and won almost every battle. This front would be the talk of the league if we had won that game.

LifetimeBillsFan
09-25-2009, 12:19 AM
If you combine what he considers "Good" and "Decent" blocks--ie, blocks that were "made"--and factor that total against the total number of blocks attempted, the percentages of "Blocks Made" for this group of linemen is already as good or better than the percentages of "Blocks Made" by most of the Bills' offensive linemen last season according to the analysis that was published in the New York Times a couple of months ago (and referenced by Tim Graham in his AFC East blog on ESPN.com). And, this group is only going to get better as they get more experience as the season goes on.

Some credit has to go to Sean Kugler and Ray Brown for deciding that they wanted to implement a different philosophy of line-play and for taking a huge gamble that they could pull it off with a bunch of young guys with basically little or no NFL experience. I think the fact that Kugler was a college coach--where offensive lines have to be rebuilt with basically inexperienced guys every year or two--and that Ray Brown played on the NY Giants team that played against the Ravens in the Super Bowl a few years ago--that had four or five new starters, albeit experienced ones, that season--may have made them more willing to make such a radical move with the Bills' offensive line this season. But, still, it took a lot of guts to make this move.

There is still a long way to go and a lot of things can happen in the course of a NFL season, but it certainly looks like these "kids" can play. All they seem to lack is experience and there is no other way for them to get experience than by playing. And, once they get some experience, their youth, rather than being a detriment, will become a strength. The one concern at this stage is long-term depth--which is where Meridith and Hennessey come in, although they will probably have to add another piece or two in next year's draft.

Given the way that they have started the season, it is going to be interesting to watch this offensive line grow and develop as the season goes on. I still don't know if they will be good enough as a unit this season to get the Bills into the playoffs, but it sure is going to be fun to watch them, especially with an eye on what they could turn into in the very near future.

Oaf
09-25-2009, 01:16 AM
I was already super impressed with their performance in game 1. Our line took it to the Pats D-line all nite and won almost every battle. This front would be the talk of the league if we had won that game.
I agree. We'd be on top of the league had we had secured victory against the Pats. Maybe it's good that we're flying under the radar at a likely 1-2 so we can't collapse like last year. Gotta win those div games though. Is 4-2 too much to ask for (with a loss to the Jets in Buffalo down the road?)