PDA

View Full Version : Bills Have Contained High Profile Offenses Before

patmoran2006
09-24-2009, 08:19 AM
Though the situations aren’t precisely the same – this Saints team is a much more dangerous foe than that Chargers team – many of the principles the Bills game planned and employed in victory translate well to a potential victory over New Orleans as well. READ MORE (http://www.buffalosportsdaily.com/2009/09/billscontainedbefore/)

madness
09-24-2009, 08:55 AM
Tell Brian to step it up. I'm tired of finding the same article on two different sites. :rofl:

:jk:

patmoran2006
09-24-2009, 09:01 AM
Tell Brian to step it up. I'm tired of finding the same article on two different sites. :rofl:

:jk:
He writes for both and we worked out a deal with SB Nation, some stuff on both ends floats to both after a certain amount of hours..

Some know about one and not the other.

But that is funny, lol

He's going to start being a segment guess on Sal's Bills Now show

madness
09-24-2009, 09:16 AM
He writes for both and we worked out a deal with SB Nation, some stuff on both ends floats to both after a certain amount of hours..

Some know about one and not the other.

But that is funny, lol

He's going to start being a segment guess on Sal's Bills Now show

Cool, Brian is a great writer. I look forward to reading his stuff more than most.

I may have to finally start checking out Sal's show. :couch:

JD
09-24-2009, 09:17 AM
When I was in California I went to the San Diego game.. I want to say it was 2005? We didn't control that high profile Offense, AT ALL :rofl:

But yes, lots have changed since then so we can only :pray:

mikemac2001
09-24-2009, 09:25 AM
When I was in California I went to the San Diego game.. I want to say it was 2005? We didn't control that high profile Offense, AT ALL :rofl:

But yes, lots have changed since then so we can only :pray:

we played them last year

BillsWin
09-24-2009, 09:36 AM
BSD.com is my new favorite website.

JD
09-24-2009, 09:48 AM
we played them last year

they were without their top receiver :hand:

MikeInRoch
09-24-2009, 09:56 AM
Sal pointed out on his show this week that it was also similar to the 2006 Indy game.

patmoran2006
09-24-2009, 10:01 AM
Sal pointed out on his show this week that it was also similar to the 2006 Indy game.
Right, but that's assuming that we're going to try and really slow the game down, which I truly don't think the Bills are going to do.

I think they're going to run the same offense you've seen the past two weeks.

Forward_Lateral
09-24-2009, 10:19 AM
Honestly, I don't think the Saints are that much different from the Chargers.

QB-- Bress vs Rivers. Both are stellar, but you have to give the edge to NO
RB-- LT, Sproles vs a mish-mash of NO RBs, 2 of whom have knee injuries and may not get the ball too much. Edge to SD
WR/TEs--- Gates, Jackson, Chambers, etc vs Shockey, Colston, Bush, etc. NO might be a bit faster, but I'd say SD's WRs are more sure-haned. I'd give this one a push.
D-- San Diego was missing Merriman (I think) during the Bills game. NO can't stop much this season. I'd call this one a draw, if not in favour of the Chargers.

The only real difference, IMO, is NO has more speed. I wouldn't say NO this year is hands down better than SD was when Buffalo played them last year.

BillsWin
09-24-2009, 10:36 AM
Bills will win. 28-24. Holding that offense to a number in the 20's is the only way to beat them I think.

justasportsfan
09-24-2009, 10:57 AM
the problem with the D under Fewell is that it's had it's moments but usually has had a hard times finishing vs. good O's. We created TO's vs. the cowboys but didn't finish. Same thing can be said about our first game vs. the Pats. We almost blew it against a crappy bucs O. We have to harrass Brees for 60 mins and not 58 mins.

MikeInRoch
09-24-2009, 11:26 AM
Right, but that's assuming that we're going to try and really slow the game down, which I truly don't think the Bills are going to do.

He was talking more about the multitude of DBs that we were playing in that game on defense, I think.

jamze132
09-24-2009, 02:34 PM
I just don't have any faith in Fewell to create and stick with a gameplan that will tame a high octane offense.

LifetimeBillsFan
09-24-2009, 11:42 PM

I don't think that the Bills necessarily have to slow the game down as much as they did in Indy in Wk. 10 of 2006, but they can use many aspects of the same formula that they used in that game: run the ball effectively and force Brees to have to dink-and-dunk his way down the field to score.

In that game in 2006, the Bills ran the ball 31 times and JP Losman threw it only 12 times. With Edwards' ability to throw screens and short passes, the Bills don't have to limit their passing game that much, but can use screens, dump-offs and the running game to control the tempo. Offensive linemen love to run-block and it is harder for young offensive linemen to learn to pass-block consistently than it is for them to run-block. As good as they have pass-blocked, the Bills' young offensive linemen have been quite able to run-block at least as good as that 2006 unit and I'll take Fred Jackson over Anthony Thomas in 2006.

However, the Bills will have to play error-free football and take advantage of the scoring opportunities that they get, when they get them.

On defense, they may decide that the only way to keep the game close will be to do what they did to Peyton Manning and the Colts in 2006. That Colts offense was every bit as good as the current New Orleans team and they were playing inside, in their own building--the Bills will get the Saints in The Ralph and, possibly, in the rain.

In 2006, the Bills shut down Indy's running game and forced P.Manning to throw the ball 39 times. They kept M.Harrison and R.Wayne in check and forced Peyton Manning to dink-and-dunk in order to move the ball downfield. Yes, the defense was on the field for a long time, but they made Indy spend a lot of time and effort to get every score that they got. And, that was a much younger and less experienced defense than the Bills have now.

It's going to be very difficult to keep the New Orleans offense under control and keep the game close enough for the Bills to win it, but the San Diego game and the game in Indy in 2006 (when Rian Lindell missed a FG that would have put the Bills ahead) show that it can be done. It isn't impossible. But, the Bills will have to play a very disciplined, error-free game to give themselves a chance to win it.

SainsFan
09-25-2009, 05:30 PM
Which top receiver. Our 3rd receiver is out and he did not play last week.

Mahdi
09-25-2009, 05:34 PM
We held Peyton Manning and the Colts to 15 points 2 years ago. Jauron had a good game plan for them but we could only muster 14 points.

Jauron is good at game planning for the most part.

PECKERWOOD
09-25-2009, 07:18 PM
Typically when we've contained high profile offenses in the past, their defense also contained our offense, so hopefully we contain them while scoring some points.

SeatownBillsFan21
09-25-2009, 08:07 PM
Arizona comes to mind when i think high profile off that we have faced recently and that didnt work to well huh.

thenry20
09-25-2009, 09:55 PM
they were without their top receiver :hand:

And most importantly, LT was still injured. He was a non factor in that game.

thenry20
09-25-2009, 09:57 PM
We held Peyton Manning and the Colts to 15 points 2 years ago. Jauron had a good game plan for them but we could only muster 14 points.

Jauron is good at game planning for the most part.

You forget that Indy was in FG range at the end of that game and would've gone for 6 if they needed to. Successfully converting on that attempt is another matter.