PDA

View Full Version : Give it up for Fitzy and Hamdan

The King
09-24-2009, 11:20 AM
I have probably seen this at least 5 or 6 times this season. All three quarterbacks talking it out on the sidelines or during timeouts. It's certainly helping Trent develop and it is great to see.

I think having a backup who is comfortable with that role and supports the starter is something we have been missing for an awfully long time.

Flutie vs. Johnson
Bledsoe vs Losman
Losman vs Holcomb
Edwards vs. Losman

It has been 10 years since we had a solid situation in place.

I think Fitzpatrick deserves a good amount of kudo's!

BillsWin
09-24-2009, 11:23 AM
Fitzy is very smart and knows football. He may not be starting material but he can sure help Trent develop by letting him know some of the things Trent may not have seen on the field. Hamdan and Edwards have always had a good rapport.

yordad
09-24-2009, 11:24 AM
Good point MMB. You might be right.

Pinkerton Security
09-24-2009, 11:32 AM
Ya, there was an article or thread somewhere last year where it talked about how whenever Trent was not on the field, Hamdan was right by his side discussing things and helping him talk things through. Fitz seems like the kinda guy who can understand everytihng that needs to be done, but just doesnt have the physical tools to get it done, so having him help Trent decipher what he needs to do could certainly help him.

The King
09-24-2009, 11:35 AM
Ya, there was an article or thread somewhere last year where it talked about how whenever Trent was not on the field, Hamdan was right by his side discussing things and helping him talk things through. Fitz seems like the kinda guy who can understand everytihng that needs to be done, but just doesnt have the physical tools to get it done, so having him help Trent decipher what he needs to do could certainly help him.Not a lot different from Van Pelt. Sometimes these backups who spend all the time watching film and how the plays breakdown, end up as some great co-coordinators.

Typ0
09-24-2009, 11:35 AM
Got to disagree. Yeah, all the buddy buddy team stuff is very important but you can have that will two guys that can play football. That's what we need. We're basically an injury away from not winning another game. I still don't like it. Having a weak guy in the backup spot is for pussies and this isn't a pussy game.

casdhf
09-24-2009, 11:36 AM
The Bengals won occasionally with Fitz.

The King
09-24-2009, 11:42 AM
Got to disagree. Yeah, all the buddy buddy team stuff is very important but you can have that will two guys that can play football. That's what we need. We're basically an injury away from not winning another game. I still don't like it. Having a weak guy in the backup spot is for pussies and this isn't a pussy game.Im not talking about buddy buddy at all. I am talking about a backup who communicates football with the starter. Who helps support the starter in his role and helps the team win. Which is different then our last scenarios where the back up was waiting for the starter to fail.

Meathead
09-24-2009, 11:44 AM
a west coast stoner, a drunken mick, and a terrorist walk into a bar ...

ELAYAS
09-24-2009, 11:48 AM
Not a lot different from Van Pelt. Sometimes these backups who spend all the time watching film and how the plays breakdown, end up as some great co-coordinators.

not a lot different from Turk Scho... nevermind...
:couch:

The King
09-24-2009, 11:49 AM
Thats where the sometimes comes in.

ELAYAS
09-24-2009, 11:55 AM
Thats where the sometimes comes in.

:oops:
:biggrin:
:ontome:

Boomstick
09-24-2009, 12:20 PM

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :bow:

Now that's classic!!!

bigbub2352
09-24-2009, 12:37 PM
Well it is a good point but what else they gonna ****ing do stand there and hold there jocks?
they better be watching and helping otherwise Billy Joe Hobert is coming out of retirement to take there jobs

The King
09-24-2009, 12:50 PM
Well it is a good point but what else they gonna ****ing do stand there and hold there jocks?
they better be watching and helping otherwise Billy Joe Hobert is coming out of retirement to take there jobsIts a big improvement from what JP did last year.

Typ0
09-24-2009, 12:57 PM
Im not talking about buddy buddy at all. I am talking about a backup who communicates football with the starter. Who helps support the starter in his role and helps the team win. Which is different then our last scenarios where the back up was waiting for the starter to fail.

yeah, and I think that mentality is faulty and way too many people suffer from it. ie, I don't want any QB competition because it means one of the QBs isn't weak and competing for a spot on the field. That just isn't conductive to long term success at the QB position especially if you are trying to draft one. Just because you have two guys that can start and win games doesn't mean you can't have the communication you speak of. Instead, you seem to be saying that communication is exhausted if you have two guys that can play. How about two professionals that are dedicated to winning and work together towards those goals no matter who gets the starting nod? It's too important a position in professional sports and I'd rather have Peyton and Eli manning than that Trent Edwards and another guy who also wouldn't be starting on another team. Do you get it? We don't even have one real starter yet!

The King
09-24-2009, 01:07 PM
How about two professionals that are dedicated to winning and work together towards those goals no matter who gets the starting nod?That doesn't really exist in todays NFL. Sorry.

Typ0
09-24-2009, 01:14 PM
That doesn't really exist in todays NFL. Sorry.

Yes, it absolutely exists. Two years ago Jeff Garcia piloted the Eagles to the playoffs after McNabb went down. A couple years ago Arizona drafted Matt Leinhart and backed him up with Kurt Warner. Last year they went to the superbowl because they didn't do the pussy foot BS you are talking about. There are plenty of examples of teams that were succesfull because they either didn't put all their eggs into a young guys basket or they had another quality guy behind a quality guy. "Get a good clipboard holder" is a load of crap when you don't even have a guy who has proven to be effective from the QB position on a consistent basis.

justasportsfan
09-24-2009, 01:15 PM
I have probably seen this at least 5 or 6 times this season. All three quarterbacks talking it out on the sidelines or during timeouts. It's certainly helping Trent develop and it is great to see.

I think having a backup who is comfortable with that role and supports the starter is something we have been missing for an awfully long time.

Flutie vs. Johnson
Bledsoe vs Losman
Losman vs Holcomb
Edwards vs. Losman

It has been 10 years since we had a solid situation in place.

I think Fitzpatrick deserves a good amount of kudo's!

other than Flutie and Robosack or Holcomb (having a problem w/ JP even though Jp had no problem with him) I've never heard any of the qb's you mentioned have a problem with the other qb.

I don't think we know what goes on and who decides who calls in the plays to the qb. Just because a qb doesn't call in the plays ,doesn't mean they are not supporting the qb. Every OC is different and has his ways.

mybills
09-24-2009, 01:21 PM
Hamdan helped JP all the time, too. Fitz is the back up, so AVP has him give the calls to Trent. If Trent gets injured, Fitz goes in and Hamdan can call them. Or, AVP will just come down from the booth.

justasportsfan
09-24-2009, 01:25 PM
That doesn't really exist in todays NFL. Sorry.

Never heard that both JP and Trent had problems. Wasn't Turk supposedly a control freak and wanted things done his way? If true then I wouldn't be surprised he wanted to wear the headset.

mybills
09-24-2009, 01:28 PM
This is just one of those Hate JP - Love TE threads.

The King
09-24-2009, 01:31 PM
Man the point of this thread was widely missed.

mybills
09-24-2009, 01:33 PM

I didn't miss the point. Hamdan did that with JP.

madness
09-24-2009, 01:33 PM
Man the point of this thread was widely missed to the right.

:jawdrop: How could you? :faint:

justasportsfan
09-24-2009, 01:38 PM
na we got it . I like that Fitz is calling in the plays but using past qb's to make a comparison is not acurate.

thenry20
09-24-2009, 02:29 PM

Haha

WTF dude finish it!!!

It's like pulling out right before the hosing and claiming "that'll do".

mayotm
09-24-2009, 02:32 PM
This is just one of those Hate JP - Love TE threads.Only in your mind.

mybills
09-24-2009, 02:42 PM
Really? You never heard MBB bash JP and praise Trent? :chuckle:

besides, I'm just joking with him.

The King
09-24-2009, 04:22 PM
Really? You never heard MBB bash JP and praise Trent? :chuckle:

besides, I'm just joking with him.

I dont think any player has ever disappointed me as much as JP.

Typ0
09-24-2009, 04:42 PM

sorry. And I respect the guys for doing their jobs and being professionals. I was just looking at the big picture and wondering why they are here in the first place. Not that I have anything against TE because I don't but also don't think it was appropriate that he was JPs replacement. Basically, we brought in a coaching staff who didn't like the last project so they wanted their own. Then they got some more projects to back him up. Good for them. But there should be a guy whose won on the roster they have been out there. I find it hard to give it up for them since I see them as contributors to the team being ineffective. It's a transitive property. They are QBs and the QB position has been such a contributor.

TigerJ
09-24-2009, 08:43 PM
Fitzy is very smart and knows football. He may not be starting material but he can sure help Trent develop by letting him know some of the things Trent may not have seen on the field. Hamdan and Edwards have always had a good rapport.Fitz is a bit like a young AVP. He'll never be a full time starter, but he's almost like having a player coach.

justasportsfan
09-24-2009, 09:21 PM
I dont think any player has ever disappointed me as much as JP.
you weren't around when Robosack was on the team? Mike Williams?

mybills
09-24-2009, 11:23 PM
you weren't around when Robosack was on the team? Mike Williams?
We had RJ when we came over from the "other" site. He joined the zone 2 years after we did.

Oaf
09-25-2009, 01:23 AM
From everything I read, Schonert seemed to be a jerkoff.

The King
09-25-2009, 07:35 AM
you weren't around when Robosack was on the team? Mike Williams?I was a Flutie fan, I never thought Rob was the answer, as a matter of fact I thought he was a career back up.

The King
09-25-2009, 07:36 AM
We had RJ when we came over from the "other" site. He joined the zone 2 years after we did.I think I might've been on the espn boards then but I probably only had 500 or so posts... it was before I was a big poster... although espn reset post counts every 6 months anyway.

ddaryl
09-25-2009, 08:34 AM
Well we don't know what he have in terms of backup QB's. We do have 2nd and 3rd string QB's that are team players.

This is both a good thng and a questionable thing. If trent goes down can we move ahead like we did with Frank Reich, or do we end up in a tail spin ???

but having your 2nd and 3rd string QB's in synch is definitley a good thing to have.

mybills
09-25-2009, 08:37 AM
I don't think Fitz did that bad in pre season. He definitely played better here than he ever did for Cincy.

and yes, I puked a little in my mouth for saying that. :couch:

justasportsfan
09-25-2009, 10:42 AM
I was a Flutie fan, I never thought Rob was the answer, as a matter of fact I thought he was a career back up.
exactly. Rob Johnson was THE ABSOLUTE worst player and let down this a team ever had. Not only was he an epic failure, he bashed the city of Buffalo.

Typ0
09-25-2009, 10:49 AM
I don't think Fitz did that bad in pre season. He definitely played better here than he ever did for Cincy.

and yes, I puked a little in my mouth for saying that. :couch:

WOW. I feel so much better. Just knowing if a trip to the post season is on the line that Fitz didn't "play that bad" during preseason against a bunch of scrubs really makes me confident.