• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LifetimeBillsFan
    All-Pro Zoner
    • Aug 2004

Why I Like Meridith Signing

I actually posted most of this as a reply to Pat Moran's excellent article about Meridith that is posted on the BZ front page, but want to share it with those on the BZ forum who may have already read Pat's article or might not bother reading the articles on the front page.

Like a lot of Bills fans, I have been wondering why the Bills didn't sign Jon Runyan, especially after Brad Butler got hurt. It seems like a strange move for a team lacking experience on the offensive line and in dire need of help at the tackle position with Butler going down for the season. Passing over an experienced--read expensive--veteran for a raw rookie project seems like the kind of folly that could only be financially motivated, right?

Well, not necessarily.

While the Bills were, perhaps, the team most in need of immediate help at offensive tackle this week, they were by no means the only team that expressed interest in Runyan's services or that is pretty desperate for offensive line help (for example: with Chad Clifton out, the Packers, considered playoff contenders, will have to move their RT or LG to LT until Clifton returns). Yet, none of those teams--some known to be more liberal with their money than the Bills--have yet made a move to sign Runyan. Why?

Just because the doctors say that a player has recovered from an injury and can play, that doesn't necessarily mean that the player is ready to play yet. Runyan's knee may be healed after his surgery, but is it ready to be subjected to the kind of pounding that it would get every day in practice, let alone in games? With a lot fewer players on the roster, it is harder for a player to skip reps in practice during the season than in training camp, especially if he is trying to learn a new offense.

And, is he in good enough shape yet to play? There is a difference between being healthy, being in shape, being in NFL shape, and being in "game shape". Playing in a no-huddle offense is tough enough for NFL players who are in "game shape", it could take weeks for a player who isn't in "game shape" to be ready to step on the field and play well for a whole game or even part of a game in a no-huddle offense.

So, is it possible that Runyan may not be ready yet to step on the field and play in a game for a NFL team? Well, the fact that no NFL team has signed him yet, despite several teams being interested in him, would seem to indicate that more than one team has its doubts about what Runyan can do right now--not just the Bills.

If Runyan isn't ready to play right now, why sign him and give up a roster spot to someone who can't even help your team in an emergency?

OK, then, why not sign a veteran offensive lineman who can play offensive tackle?

First of all, the Bills already have an offensive tackle who can step in and play for them in Kirk Chambers (I can hear the shreaks already!). Chambers may not be a guy that you want starting at offensive tackle for your team every week, but he proved last season that he can step in and give the team decent play in short stretches during games and, if necessary, in case of a short-term injury. And, with the exception of Levi Jones--who reportedly wants to be paid more than any team is willing to pay--and, maybe, Langston Walker--who may not be willing to get in good enough shape to play in a no-huddle offense--if you don't count Runyan, there really aren't any veteran offensive tackles out there currently that are going to be that much better than Chambers (Damion McIntosh?).

So, why sign a veteran offensive lineman now, if the Bills don't need to? Especially when they had a chance to get their hands on a talented kid that they might be able to develop into a player who can contribute to the team down-the-road?

As Pat points out in his article, Meridith is a talented young player who isn't likely to be ready to play in the NFL this season, but who has the potential to become a solid player in a year or so. According to the article, some scouts felt that Meridith had second or third round talent, but he slipped down to the fifth round because of his attitude and lack of maturity.

While Meridith may not be ready to play in the NFL this season, for all of their failures, the Bills have had some success in recent years developing young offensive linemen, like Peters, Bell and Scott. Scott admits that he had attitude and immaturity issues when he was with Detroit and that the Bills' offensive line coaches have helped him to develop and see the game in an entirely different way. If the Bills' coaches can similarly get through to Meridith and help him to straighten out his attitude, adding him to the roster would be like acquiring an additional draft choice at no cost.

If Meridith doesn't get his head straightened out, then the Bills only have to keep him for three games. So, they have nothing to lose and everything to gain by having signed him away from Green Bay's practice squad.

But, what if Scott or Bell should get injured?

Well, Meridith wouldn't start or play or probably even be active in the first place. Chambers would be the one who would step in and play. If the injury is minor, Chambers would probably fill-in as the starter in the short-term. If the Bills signed Runyan tomorrow and he was not yet in "game shape" that would likely still be the case. If the injury is a major one, the Bills would put the injured player on IR and, having done so, would have a roster spot available to sign a veteran offensive lineman like Runyan, etc. Let's say the Bills signed Runyan at that point: Chambers would still start a game or two until Runyan was ready to take over for him as the starter.

But, why not sign Runyan now, even though he may not be ready to play or practice yet, as a precaution?

Because 1.) it won't take Runyan or another veteran that long to learn the Bills' offense and "get up to speed" once he is signed; 2.) the longer Runyan is unsigned, the more time his knee has to recover and the less pounding he and it will take; 3.) with Meridith, the Bills will have a full compliment of players who can work in practice, with Runyan not yet in good enough condition to go full out, they would not and would be short a man; and, 4.) the Bills lack talented, youthful depth on the offensive line now--at 35, Runyan would help the team, if they were to need and use him, for only a year, Meridith has the potential to help the team over the long-term and even push Butler and Scott for the starting RT job if he gets his head screwed on right.

What if Runyan signs with another team and then the Bills suffer another injury at OT?

Well, that's the calculated risk that the Bills are running. In that case, the team may have to pay Levi Jones what he wants or settle for a Damion McIntosh. Or, if it is late enough in the season and they have had some time to develop, the Bills may have to go with Meridith or Hennessey as their back-up swing tackle.

For some Bills fans that would undoubtedly be too great of a risk. And, I can understand that. I must confess that I wouldn't feel that confident if Kirk Chambers had to start six games with Meridith or Hennessey or even McIntosh (or one of the other no-name available vets) as his back-up either.

But, on the other side of the coin, I can see the sense and value in their move to pluck Meridith away from Green Bay. The kid is smart and talented, but he has an attitude problem. Perhaps the Bills coaches and being around the other hard-working, close-knit young offensive linemen that the Bills have will help Meridith to mature and develop a better attitude. If that happens and he is able to develop as a player, the Bills could end up having gotten themselves a gem who can help the team for the next couple of years for virtually nothing. Nothing except being willing to take the risk that they will be able to get through the rest of this season without needing to add a Jon Runyan--a player who may or may not be able to play as well as he played before his recent injury.

Would I want the Bills to sign the Jon Runyan who was such a great player for Philly for over a decade? Definitely. But, there is no guarantee that Runyan is ready or able to be that player--now or ever again. And, if so many other teams haven't been willing to sign him yet, maybe the Bills know something about his current condition that we don't. Something that has given them good reason not to sign him at this point. If that's the case, then the signing of Meridith not only makes sense, it could prove to be a very good move. Whether it will be a good move depends a lot on Meridith and on whether the Bills are able to get through the bulk of the season without their starting offensive linemen getting hurt. It's a risk, but a calculated gamble that could end up paying off for the team down-the-road.
    Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it. And, thus it was that they surrendered their freedom; not with a bang, but without even a whimper.
  • Romes
    • Jul 2002

Re: Why I Like Meridith Signing

Good post LBF. Good to see you back on the boards too!
    Originally posted by paladin warrior
    RALPH is drove me nut.

Comment

• jamze132
      • Jun 2003

Good post.

I'm glad we didn't get Runyan as he think he would be a horrible fit for our style of offense. I just said that in one line.

Comment

• ddaryl
        Everything I post is sexual inuendo
        • Jan 2005

I just look at the success we are having with our recent draft picks, and how Bell is playing well.

if they like Meredith, and from reading the scouting report on him, I think they are doing exactly what this team has failed to do for a decade. Build a championship caliber OL.

I like the Meredith signing, and the only reaosn I wanted Runyan was to mentor the young guns and bring in a little vet experience, but I never knew Meredith would be an option when we were talking Runyan. Heck I didn't even know Meredith existed...

This was a bold move by the FO... andone that could pay us back 10 fold long term, rather then plug in a short term option
        Last edited by ddaryl; 09-25-2009, 08:42 AM.

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
          • Aug 2004

Look at this old article from May about Scott.

Stay up to date with all the Buffalo Bills football news, free agency, NFL draft, and more at 247Sports.com

The Bills had multiple opportunities to draft a top-rated tackle in April’s draft. Eben Britton in the first. William Beatty in the second. Jamon Meredith in the fourth. Talented, agile left tackles trickled to Russ Brandon throughout draft weekend.

I think the Bills probably have done extensive study on all of them, including Meredith back then.

Comment

• Luisito23
            Men Have Superbowl Gold, Legends Have Platinum Hearts!!!
            • Apr 2003

Great as always LBF!
            "Expect rejection, but expect more to overcome it."
            ***Marv Levy.***

"Coach Levy is one of the most inspirational people that I have ever known."
            ***Thurman Thomas.***

"You're not going to find a more classier, down-to-Earth person away from the field than Marv Levy. He's a guy who's pretty much made me what I am today as far as a professional player and a person."
            ***Jim Kelly***

Marv Levy's Website

Comment

• psubills62
              Legendary Zoner
              • Sep 2008

Good points, LTBF!

Honestly, I'm not sure if Butler was cut out to be the best long-term solution for this OL. Meredith definitely seems like a long-term decision that could work out to solidify this OL for a long time.
              "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
              - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• yordad
                • Dec 2007

This move is AOK with me.
                "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• The King
                  Without me it's just Awe so
                  • Jun 2004

Its hard to bet against the Bills O-Line development right now... So I will back them up on this move.
                  I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
                  "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
                  You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
                  It was all
                  true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
                  He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
                  mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• EDS
                    • Jan 2003

Originally posted by LifetimeBillsFan
                    While Meridith may not be ready to play in the NFL this season, for all of their failures, the Bills have had some success in recent years developing young offensive linemen, like Peters, Bell and Scott. Scott admits that he had attitude and immaturity issues when he was with Detroit and that the Bills' offensive line coaches have helped him to develop and see the game in an entirely different way. If the Bills' coaches can similarly get through to Meridith and help him to straighten out his attitude, adding him to the roster would be like acquiring an additional draft choice at no cost.
                    Does anyone see a trend of young Bills offensive lineman playing well, seemingly establishing themselves, and then suffer from a substantial decline in performance?

Peters went from prospect, to bright young star, to underperforming malcontent pretty fast.

Walker went from high priced questionable free agent signing, to a seemingly dependable veteran, to too lazy to get in shape and cut pretty fast.

Mike Williams skipped right from highly touted prospect, to decently performing rookie, to total scrub fast.

Johnson, Nails, Sulllivan, Hicks, etc., all experienced some modicum of success only to disappoint (although in Johnson's case, it was more when he left B-lo).

Even Ruben Brown is considered to have made the pro bowl on rebutation alone for many years after a great first year.

Comment

• Buddo
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by EDS
                      Does anyone see a trend of young Bills offensive lineman playing well, seemingly establishing themselves, and then suffer from a substantial decline in performance?

Peters went from prospect, to bright young star, to underperforming malcontent pretty fast.

Walker went from high priced questionable free agent signing, to a seemingly dependable veteran, to too lazy to get in shape and cut pretty fast.

Mike Williams skipped right from highly touted prospect, to decently performing rookie, to total scrub fast.

Johnson, Nails, Sulllivan, Hicks, etc., all experienced some modicum of success only to disappoint (although in Johnson's case, it was more when he left B-lo).

Even Ruben Brown is considered to have made the pro bowl on rebutation alone for many years after a great first year.
                      While I think you could be deemed to be reasonably fair in identifying a seeming 'trend', the sets of circumstances vary wildly.
                      Williams isn't the first 1st rounder to bust, by any stretch of the imagination. Nor will he be the last.
                      Peters becoming a malcontent, coincided very quickly with his signing with Eugene Parker for his agent. Peters, while an immensely talented, athletic specimen, is hardly renowned as the sharpest tool in the box, and could easily be swayed (and probably was) by a whispering campaign.
                      Imho, Walker is really more of a fall guy than the others. It's certainly true that he wasn't cutting it alongside the younger guys, yet that was as much a sea change in approach from the line coaches, as anything he was doing. Up until this season, Walker had pretty much done anything asked of him - especially filling in last year for Peters. It also has to be said, that he's a huge guy, and if he's started to see the 'writing on the wall', it probably doesn't take much for him to drop some fitness, and add some weight, neither of which will help his cause in a 'no huddle' offense.

Back to the main track. Very well thought out post from the OP. It may even be better reasoned than the ones the FO came up with. Meredith certainly seems to be a genuine prospect, the more you hear about him, including some of the reasons for his apparent slide down the rounds - especially the position change to guard in his last season. I'm not so worried that he supposedly has a bit of 'attitude', as I think the likes of Wood, could actually show him the right place to display that, i.e. on the field. It also has to be said that he may well be needed in the future, because there are no guarantees that Butler will be back (although certainly it is to be hoped for).

Comment

• jamze132
                        • Jun 2003

Originally posted by Buddo
                        While I think you could be deemed to be reasonably fair in identifying a seeming 'trend', the sets of circumstances vary wildly.
                        Williams isn't the first 1st rounder to bust, by any stretch of the imagination. Nor will he be the last.
                        Peters becoming a malcontent, coincided very quickly with his signing with Eugene Parker for his agent. Peters, while an immensely talented, athletic specimen, is hardly renowned as the sharpest tool in the box, and could easily be swayed (and probably was) by a whispering campaign.
                        Imho, Walker is really more of a fall guy than the others. It's certainly true that he wasn't cutting it alongside the younger guys, yet that was as much a sea change in approach from the line coaches, as anything he was doing. Up until this season, Walker had pretty much done anything asked of him - especially filling in last year for Peters. It also has to be said, that he's a huge guy, and if he's started to see the 'writing on the wall', it probably doesn't take much for him to drop some fitness, and add some weight, neither of which will help his cause in a 'no huddle' offense.

Back to the main track. Very well thought out post from the OP. It may even be better reasoned than the ones the FO came up with. Meredith certainly seems to be a genuine prospect, the more you hear about him, including some of the reasons for his apparent slide down the rounds - especially the position change to guard in his last season. I'm not so worried that he supposedly has a bit of 'attitude', as I think the likes of Wood, could actually show him the right place to display that, i.e. on the field. It also has to be said that he may well be needed in the future, because there are no guarantees that Butler will be back (although certainly it is to be hoped for).
                        Well thought out post. You may have a future here...

Comment

• Ground Chuck
                          • Jul 2009

Has anyone seen the Packers play this year? Their tackles are horrible and this guy couldn't even make the team.

Gimme a break.

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
                            Defies all logic
                            • Oct 2006

You were way too brief in your assessment.

Comment

• Michael82
                              • Jul 2002

Great post, LTBF! It's nice to see you back on the boards again, too.

Comment

Working...
                              X