PDA

View Full Version : Former Coe College running back on top of his game with Buffalo Bills

shelby
09-25-2009, 06:17 AM
His Facebook page said it all.
“THE MOST KNOWN UNKNOWN!!!!” Fred Jackson posted recently.
Just when you think the former Coe College all-American’s story can’t get any better … The Buffalo Bills running back rushed for 163 yards in his team’s 33-20 win over Tampa Bay last Sunday.
Getting a chance to be a No. 1 guy the first three weeks of the season because of a league-imposed suspension on Marshawn Lynch, Jackson has 220 rushing yards and 11 receptions for 108 yards in two games.
He’s the only back in the NFL with over 200 rushing yards and 100 receiving. The most known unknown indeed.
“That says what it is,” Jackson said Thursday afternoon in a phone interview. “Nobody knows me, but I feel like I’m starting to make a name for myself.”
Jackson’s amazing climb to the pinnacle of football is fairly well known around these parts but just being discovered nationally.
The 28-year-old Fort Worth, Texas, native was steered toward Coe with his twin brother, Patrick, by former Kohawk football coach Wayne Phillips, who coached the boys in junior high. Jackson played little at Lamar High School, serving as backup to Tommicus Walker, who went on to play at TCU and Nebraska.
After four outstanding years at Coe that concluded with a 29-touchdown senior season in 2002, he played for the Sioux City Bandits of the United Indoor Football League, where he was MVP in 2005. Phillips was friends with former Bills coach and general manager Marv Levy, a Coe grad, and kept pestering him about getting Jackson an NFL look.
Levy watched film and encouraged Jackson to play in NFL Europe, which he did in 2006 for the Rhein Fire. He made Buffalo’s practice squad that fall, saw his first NFL action the following season and scored his first touchdowns (three) last season as more or less a complimentary back to Lynch.

read more.... (http://gazetteonline.com/sports/2009/09/24/former-coe-college-running-back-on-top-of-his-game-with-buffalo-bills)

yordad
09-25-2009, 07:05 AM
Fred "The Gem" Jackson is out of the rough!!

Bulldog
09-25-2009, 07:14 AM
Anyone who tries to diminish the way Jackson has started this season is either crazy, blind, or a litlle of both. I'm anxious to see what Van Pelt has drawn up for the offense once Lynch returns. Assuming the o-line can stay healthy, that offense is going to be a handful.

Jan Reimers
09-25-2009, 07:35 AM
Anyone who tries to diminish the way Jackson has started this season is either crazy, blind, or a litlle of both. I'm anxious to see what Van Pelt has drawn up for the offense once Lynch returns. Assuming the o-line can stay healthy, that offense is going to be a handful.
I totally agree. What a two headed monster our running game should be when Lynch returns, not to mention a passing attack featuring Evans and TO. . .

Bulldog
09-25-2009, 07:42 AM
I totally agree. What a two headed monster our running game should be when Lynch returns, not to mention a passing attack featuring Evans and TO. . .

Hey Jan, you still parking in Jimmy's lot? We had to move to the RV lot this year as the guy I go with baught a rather large motorhome.

Jan Reimers
09-25-2009, 07:50 AM
Hey Jan, you still parking in Jimmy's lot? We had to move to the RV lot this year as the guy I go with baught a rather large motorhome.
I would be (and my friends and family who use my tickets are), but I've got a bad staph infection and no right hip at the moment, so I'm probably not going to make any games this year. I understand Jimmy is still pretty entertaining, though.

Dr. Lecter
09-25-2009, 07:57 AM

And assuming that Lynch does not do something else incredibly stupid.

Captain gameboy
09-25-2009, 09:11 AM
Freddie has secret glasses that allow him to see the special effect first down line during NFL telecasts.

Seems to me.

THATHURMANATOR
09-25-2009, 09:20 AM
Love Freddy!
Can't wait till Marshawn is back for some thunder and Lightning Bills style.