• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shelby
    The Vanilla admin
    • Jul 2002

Fine, Nelson step in at TE for Bills

The Buffalo Bills hailed Derek Fine and Shawn Nelson as potential impact players when selecting the tight ends in each of the last two drafts.
    It's time to find out if the Bills were right.
    Derek Schouman's season-ending knee injury means Fine, a second-year pro, and Nelson, a rookie, will have more prominent roles on offense beginning with Sunday's game against the New Orleans Saints.
    "It was unfortunate with Schouman because he was off to a good year," Bills offensive coordinator Alex Van Pelt said. "Now we need Fine to do the things we expect of him and Shawn is going to have to step up and contribute earlier than we expected."
    Fine, a fourth-round pick last year, was inactive the first six games as a rookie, his absence due in large part to surgery on an injured thumb. But he made quite an impression in his professional debut, scoring a touchdown on his first NFL catch. He finished the season with 10 catches for 94 yards.
    Van Pelt said Fine would have started in the opener at New England two weeks ago if not for an ailing hamstring. Fortunately for the Bills, Fine is available now that they need him the most.
    read more...

• Coach Sal
    • Aug 2006

Re: Fine, Nelson step in at TE for Bills

Schouman was looking good and it's really, really sad what happened to him.

But we're a better football team with Fine and/or Nelson on the field for 60-minutes each week.

Nelson has already proved he can make playes and is only going to get better.

I was really impressed with Fine as a pass catcher, but especially as a blocker, in training camp last year. He just seems to always be injured.

I think we'll be Fine (no pun intended) as long as these guys can stay healthy.
    Click to listen:

Buffalo Bills Now! and NFL Now! podcasts
    And every Saturday at 11am on WGR

"A good name is more desirable than great riches, and high esteem is better than silver and gold."

Class Character Commitment Consistency Courage

Comment

• Jan Reimers
      Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
      • May 2003

Originally posted by Coach Sal

But we're a better football team with Fine and/or Nelson on the field for 60-minutes each week.

I was really impressed with Fine as a pass catcher, but especially as a blocker, in training camp last year. He just seems to always be injured.

I think Schouman was the most polished of the three, and therefore was the starter. But I think Fine, who is bigger, will prove to be the better blocker and at least as good a pass catcher, and Nelson has the athleticism to be a game breaker.
      Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• casdhf
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Coach Sal

Liar! You capitalized "Fine" and meant to pun.
        Originally posted by BillsZone Mod
        cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Comment

• Coach Sal
          • Aug 2006

Originally posted by casdhf
          Liar! You capitalized "Fine" and meant to pun.
          Haha. I guess I did. Subconscious pun intended.
          Click to listen:

Buffalo Bills Now! and NFL Now! podcasts
          And every Saturday at 11am on WGR

"A good name is more desirable than great riches, and high esteem is better than silver and gold."

Class Character Commitment Consistency Courage

Comment

• madness
            • Apr 2003

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
            I think Schouman was the most polished of the three, and therefore was the starter. But I think Fine, who is bigger, will prove to be the better blocker and at least as good a pass catcher, and Nelson has the athleticism to be a game breaker.

Schouman was definitely the more polished TE but he won the starting position by default.

Van Pelt said Fine would have started in the opener at New England two weeks ago if not for an ailing hamstring. Fortunately for the Bills, Fine is available now that they need him the most.

Comment

• trapezeus
              Legendary Zoner
              • Oct 2004

schouman was good. i'll give him the respect he deserves, but i also think that fine and nelson are going to be good in his spot.

if nelson gets open in the middle of the field for big gains and first downs, that is part of the puzzle to beating the saints.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                • Jul 2002

I thought Fine would've been the starter if he didn't get injured anyways.
                sacrifice1
                https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• bigbub2352
                  • Feb 2005

AVP said Fine would have been the starter against NE if he hadnt been hurt, FIne and Schouman both have injury issues,
                  We need Stupar and Nelson to really turn it on, and Fine needs to be effective in the rungame and help out Scott
                  I think we should also be looking into some depth here and stash it on the PS
                  i know they brought in Klopenstein for a work out if e is eligable i wouldnt mind him on there he can block
                  XTRA CRISPY XTRA SAUCEY

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
                    • Aug 2004

Nelson looked to be out as he only took limited practice yesterday (catching balls from teh machine) and no practice at all today.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                      • Mar 2005

I actaully thought we were heavey at TE and I thought Shouman or Fine were more likely to get cut than Stupar or Nelson.

I don't think we are losing anything by not having Schouman on the field. I think Butler is the big loss from week 2.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by HHURRICANE
                        I thought Shouman or Fine were more likely to get cut than Stupar or Nelson.
                        we're not surprised
                        sacrifice1
                        https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
                          Defies all logic
                          • Oct 2006

Isn't this what we were all hoping for? I think many of us like Fine & Nelson more than Schouman.

Comment

• patmoran2006
                            Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                            • Dec 2005

nelson is now doubtful for Sunday

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• ddaryl
                              Everything I post is sexual inuendo
                              • Jan 2005

Originally posted by PECKERWOOD
                              Isn't this what we were all hoping for? I think many of us like Fine & Nelson more than Schouman.
                              Hoping for ???

Schouman was winning me over with his play the 1st 2 games, but I was never down on Fine liek others, and thought he had a solid rookie year.. and we all have high hopes for Nelson.

Hopefully Fine is recovered enough

Comment

Working...
                              X