X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghz in pittsburgh
    • Aug 2004

Gregg Williams Defense

Lost in all of the hoopla of Brees high flying offense is the new Gregg Williams' defense. Most Saints fans will say it's been an improvement through the pre-season and the first 2 games (though you can say they have not been really tested since the offense gave them 42 and 48 points).

I think he has changed some since he left Buffalo but the 4-6 aggressive style remains. We saw it in Washington, and I think we are going to see it this Sunday. Somewhere I might even suspect that with 2 rookies and new tackles the Bills have in O-Line, Gregg might dig deep into his secret box of pressure packages to test our inexperienced line.

For Trent, I like the fact that he has veteran receivers Evans and TO on the outside and Reed (didn't practice today but I hope he plays) in the middle who are less likely to screw up, though TO/Trent blitz adjustment is really not tested. To me, the interesting part to watch is how the protection - our O-line - fare. If they can hold up, some big plays can be had.

For some reason, that Miami game When Gregg was Bills' headcoach with Bledsoe keeps poping up in my head about this Sunday. I remember big plays plentiful on that day: Ricky Williams kept popping big runs on us while Bledsoe kept dropping bombs on them until the snow set in ...
    Last edited by ghz in pittsburgh; 09-25-2009, 12:35 PM.
  • Prov401
    President of WADL (Whitner Anti-Defamation League)
    • Aug 2008

Re: Gregg Williams Defense

Originally posted by ghz in pittsburgh
    Lost in all of the hoopla of Brees high flying offense is the new Gregg Williams' defense. Most Saints fans will say it's been an improvement through the pre-season and the first 2 games (though you can say they have not been really tested since the offense gave them 42 and 48 points).

I think he has changed some since he left Buffalo but the 4-6 aggressive style remains. We saw it in Washington, and I think we are going to see it this Sunday. Somewhere I might even suspect that with 2 rookies and new tackles the Bills have in O-Line, Gregg might dig deep into his secret box of pressure packages to test our inexperienced line.

For Trent, I like the fact that he has veteran receivers Evans and TO on the outside and Reed (didn't practice today but I hope he plays) in the middle who are less likely to screw up, though TO/Trent blitz adjustment is really not tested. To me, the interesting part to watch is how the protection - our O-line - fare. If they can hold up, some big plays can be had.

For some reason, that Miami game When Gregg was Bills' headcoach with Bledsoe keeps poping up in my head about this Sunday. I remember big plays plentiful on that day: Ricky Williams kept popping big runs on us while Bledsoe kept dropping bombs on them until the snow set in ...
    One of my favorite Bills games of all time.

Comment

• baalworship
      • May 2003

Gregg Williams favors high risk-high reward play by the D. He will blitz a lot of guys and leave his corners alone in man coverage on many plays. We need Evans and Owens to punish them deep.

Also, I think we all remember how badly screens killed the 46 style D (See Jerry Gray and the Bills D watching Pats throw screen after screen on us while Belichick laughed his ass off on the sideline as we didn't adjust).

Comment

• Night Train
        Retired - On Several Levels
        • Jul 2005

His D always looks good early and finishes poorly. You can bet on it.

Wait. We're in Sept., right ?... I thought so.
        Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Scumbag College
          • Oct 2002

Gregggggg still sucks. I think they'll get burned a couple of times early with his blitzes, then will go conservative and Freddie will run all over them in the second half. The Saints played Detroit and a McNabb-less Eagles team with Kolb giving the ball away repeatedly.

Bills win 41-33.
          Last edited by Scumbag College; 09-25-2009, 07:08 PM.
          Remember Kevin Everett in your thoughts.

Vote Nader in 2008!

http://www.votenader.org/

Comment

• Throne Logic
            Terry Tate - Outside Linebacker
            • Aug 2002

Williams' defense was and is designed to work best when your team either has the lead or has an offense that is extremely likely to take it. It's designed to prey on offenses that have to take more chances than they would normally like to do in order to catch up or keep pace. Hence the "Attack" in the Attack 46".

Seems like a great fit for that NO team. Screen them to death with HB, TE, and WR flavors.
            Still searching for that offensive rhythm.

Comment

• jamze132
              Don’t hate…
              • Jun 2003

I definitely think their will be points to be made by Trent and Co. But if they start squandering TDs and hitting FGs, we will lose.

Comment

• TigerJ
                • Jul 2002

The Gregg Williams defense is pretty complex when fully installed, but this early in his first year with NO the heads of some of the defensive players will be spinning with all of the new information they'll need to absorb That means there's at least a chance the defense will make some mistakes along the way. Buffalo needs to exploit those opportunities.
                I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• IAG
                  • Jan 2005

I still cannot believe they hired him way back in 2001.

Comment

Working...
                  X