PDA

View Full Version : Regarding Lynch

PECKERWOOD
09-25-2009, 09:03 PM
With the way Freddy Jackson is playing, a good coach would send a message to the locker room right now. Keep Freddy Jackson as the feature back, period, until he starts to falter, only then can Lynch have an opportunity carrying the brunt of the work load. I think this would be a great idea for three reasons: 1.) Freddy is playing great. 2.) This would definitely make beastmode hungry, he would come back with a vengeance after being forced to sit on the bench for awhile. 3.) This sends a message to current Bills and future pick ups that if you demonstrate bad character and your replacement starts playing phenomonally, then your job isn't safe.

Thoughts? :cheers:

justasportsfan
09-25-2009, 09:09 PM
why create problems in the locker room when you don't have to? why can't you treat them both as no.1s?

PECKERWOOD
09-25-2009, 09:23 PM
why create problems in the locker room when you don't have to? why can't you treat them both as no.1s?

I think Jackson has earned his shot, there should be no special treatment here. If another player did this who wasn't as recognized as Lynch is, then we'd all be screaming for him to get benched or cut. Personally, Freddy is playing great and Lynch should only come in when Freddy needs some air.

Stewie
09-25-2009, 09:28 PM
why is this even a question? from monday:

"On his way out of the dressing room, Van Pelt was asked if the word "backup" was likely to appear in front of Fred Jackson's name again. He answered without hesitation, "No, I don't think so."

http://www.buffalonews.com/494/story/803041.html

Demon
09-25-2009, 09:31 PM
I forget the actual list, but i think there's only like 2 or maybe even 3 guys in the NFL who have carried the ball over 20 times in both week 1 and week 2 games. I know Jackson is not one of them as he was a few short of hitting 20 vs. the Patriots. The point is, with him getting short passes and running the ball as much as he has, he will run out of gas sooner then later. The smart thing for the Bills is to find a way to use both Jackson and Lynch into the offense and not over use either of their premier backs. Teams that will over use their guys will struggle down the road. It's the type of league it has become. The Bills have a very big opportunity here with having 2 awesome running backs and if used right, it could lead to many victories.

PECKERWOOD
09-25-2009, 09:31 PM
why is this even a question? from monday:

"On his way out of the dressing room, Van Pelt was asked if the word "backup" was likely to appear in front of Fred Jackson's name again. He answered without hesitation, "No, I don't think so."

http://www.buffalonews.com/494/story/803041.html

Man, I hope so. I love Beastmode as much as the next guy, but I paid for my mistakes and he should pay for his. Freddy should be the feature guy until he proves otherwise, imho.

Scumbag College
09-25-2009, 09:32 PM
I think they can both co-exist as number ones...

With the Bills no huddle offense, they can both get in there and be "the feature back" in alternate possessions. I've noticed that there are very few substitutions during the Bills possessions. This ensures that they both stay fresh in comparison to the LBs and DBs that are trying to tackle them as the game wears on. As a paper thin team in alot of positions, the RB position is one of the few strengths the Bills have. I think this is going to be huge when it gets colder, as Trent has yet to prove himself playing in the winter elements. Just imagine in January Marshawn beating up the Colts Defense on a twelve play drive, then next possession the rotten Colts D has to face a fresh Fred Jackson.

I think the only message you send is that Fred starts the first offensive series as the RB in Week 4, and you go from there.

Stewie
09-25-2009, 09:38 PM
fred has earned the right to start... there's plenty of opportunities to have them both on the field at the same time. Fred splits wide just fine, can line him up almost anywhere..

SeatownBillsFan21
09-25-2009, 11:12 PM
Play them both at the same time no reason to start controversy in the locker room or between the 2 of them there are both great backs Lynch seems to be more of a power horse type while Freddy is a nice compliment out of the back field catching passes and dicing through the D this is a good problem to have there both competitive guys and hopefully this will bring out the best in both of them.

jamze132
09-26-2009, 12:20 AM
In Miami WK 4, Fred should get the first series, after that, you go with the hot hand.

BillsWin
09-26-2009, 12:41 AM
split the carries and play the hot hand. Lynch can wear out the defenses and Freddy can come in and completely wreck them. That is what a change of pace back does. That is what Freddy is, and he probably is the best COP back there is in this entire league.

People get caught up in production (which Freddy is producing great) but they forget that Lynch is a feature back on almost any nfl team out there and that if we can find a way to utilize both Freddy and Lynch, this offense is scary.

Billz_fan
09-26-2009, 01:25 AM
I remember a time when we had 2 backs that could start on other teams. We played them both but rarely at the same time, Seemed to work out great the way they split playing time then.

I suggest a similar setup for Fred and Marshawn. It worked for Thurman and Kenny Davis.

Night Train
09-26-2009, 04:31 AM
The key term being ".. a good coach "

LifetimeBillsFan
09-26-2009, 05:38 AM
I think that Jauron and Van Pelt have to be mindful of the lockerroom in how they handle this.

Fred Jackson has earned the right to start, but you must also remember that Lynch is one of the leaders of the team and very popular with his teammates--who may not feel that he deserves to be punished further after his suspension or demoted because of it.

One way that they could potentially solve this problem is by doing something that they have talked a lot about doing: put both Lynch and Jackson in the backfield for the first couple of plays of the game--they way they will both be starters.

After that, they should let them split the touches pretty much evenly. It's not unusual for teams to do that in the NFL, especially this season. Before Marion Barber got hurt, he was only getting one or two more touches a game than Felix Jones for Dallas. Derrick Ward and Cadillac Williams pretty much split the touches for the Bucs against the Bills last week (with E.Graham getting only a couple).

Neither Lynch nor Freddy should object to that. After all, Thomas Jones led the league in rushing last year, but there was an article in the NY Daily News this week stating that, in spite of Jones' productivity, the Jets are trying to get Leon Washington 20 touches a game this season and were able to do so last week against the Pats. If the league's leading rusher has to give up 20 touches a game, IMHO neither Lynch nor Freddy really would have any grounds to complain about splitting the touches with one another.

Luisito23
09-26-2009, 06:52 AM
Combined yards rushing and receiving

Player Team Yards
Johnson Ten. 352
Jackson Buf. 328
Peterson Mn. 314
Gore SF 294
Benson Cin. 247

I know it's early, but I can't believe Jackson and this young line have more yards than Peterson and the Vikings.

mybills
09-26-2009, 06:56 AM
I paid for my mistakes and he should pay for his.
What part of being suspended for 3 games isn't paying for a mistake?

TacklingDummy
09-26-2009, 07:16 AM
split the carries and play the hot hand. Lynch can wear out the defenses and Freddy can come in and completely wreck them. That is what a change of pace back does. That is what Freddy is, and he probably is the best COP back there is in this entire league.

Wouldn't it be more effective to have Lynch come in and run over people after Jackson has tired them out by chasing him around all game?

Jan Reimers
09-26-2009, 07:16 AM
We have two great, complimentary backs. Why not make it a huge positive by playing them both - they are different kinds of runners who will thrive in different situatons - instead of a huge controversy by hammering the "who's the starter" thing.

Beastie Bills
09-26-2009, 07:19 AM
If another player did this who wasn't as recognized as Lynch is, then we'd all be screaming for him to get benched or cut.

Most of us ARE calling for him to be benched (which is a terrible idea).

No doubt Freddy has earned a bigger role. They should each get between 35-65% of the carries each week, depending on who matches up better against the opposing defense, and who's running better.

Luisito23
09-26-2009, 07:23 AM
We have two great, complimentary backs. Why not make it a huge positive by playing them both - they are different kinds of runners who will thrive in different situatons - instead of a huge controversy by hammering the "who's the starter" thing.

Yeah, but one of them has to be labeled the starter Jan, and unless injured I don't ever want to see Jackson not starting. He's obviously the better and smarter of the two.

mybills
09-26-2009, 07:29 AM
I'm still waiting to see Jackson drag 10 defenders into the end zone with him. Until I see that, I'm not going to say he is better. :cynic:

Jan Reimers
09-26-2009, 07:32 AM
This whole fan-generated controversy will be resolved by which player is perforning more effectively any given week.

I see this situation as reason to be very happy, and no reason at all to make it into a problem.

unpaid_bills
09-26-2009, 07:35 AM
With the way Freddy Jackson is playing, a good coach would send a message to the locker room right now. Keep Freddy Jackson as the feature back, period, until he starts to falter, only then can Lynch have an opportunity carrying the brunt of the work load. I think this would be a great idea for three reasons: 1.) Freddy is playing great. 2.) This would definitely make beastmode hungry, he would come back with a vengeance after being forced to sit on the bench for awhile. 3.) This sends a message to current Bills and future pick ups that if you demonstrate bad character and your replacement starts playing phenomonally, then your job isn't safe.

Thoughts? :cheers:

Personally i like the idea of having them share the load why not. RBs will go down eventually with an injury(s). Use Jackson to start the game, 3rd down, etc. Let beastmode in when we are in the redzone and when we need short yardage, or have packages with both at the same time they are both excellent runners no reason they should both not be on the field IMO

yordad
09-26-2009, 07:36 AM
I just want to say I am excited about this. I mean, if this line can get better and better, the Bills may really have 2 of the leagues top backs on their roster. I think Lynch is a shade better running, and Jackson is better at catching.

I mean, Lynch can catch, But Jackson has hands like a good wide receiver.

Either way, I'm happy. I just want to see Lynch stiff arm someone to the ground after running 6 yards untouched behind our new mobile O-line.

Goobylal
09-26-2009, 07:47 AM
I think Lynch knows he messed-up and doesn't deserve to start right away. But I can see the Bills putting both of them on the field at the same time to start the Dols game, even more now with the TE's hurting.

Yasgur's Farm
09-26-2009, 08:10 AM
When Lynch returns, he'll be phased in. He'll have maybe 10 touches week 4... Then perhaps 15 week 5.

The question will be answered week 6 and has everything to do with how he performs the previous 2 weeks.

justasportsfan
09-26-2009, 08:19 AM
I think Jackson has earned his shot, there should be no special treatment here. If another player did this who wasn't as recognized as Lynch is, then we'd all be screaming for him to get benched or cut. Personally, Freddy is playing great and Lynch should only come in when Freddy needs some air.
they are two different type of rb's. They can co exist . If you send a so called message t before Lynch even plays a game and then Jackson goes down with an injury guess what can happen? Drama.

Jan Reimers
09-26-2009, 08:30 AM
I just love how we can take one of the most positive aspects of our team - having 2 great, complimentary RBs - and turn it into a controversy.

mybills
09-26-2009, 08:36 AM
All that these threads amount to is, "I like ______ better than _______!"

and that's ok, just put it in your sig. :D

mybills
09-26-2009, 08:36 AM
or your title! :D

baalworship
09-26-2009, 10:27 AM
This offensive line is much better than last year already. Marshawn Lynch will dominate people when he gets back.

Saratoga Slim
09-26-2009, 10:37 AM
I forget the actual list, but i think there's only like 2 or maybe even 3 guys in the NFL who have carried the ball over 20 times in both week 1 and week 2 games. I know Jackson is not one of them as he was a few short of hitting 20 vs. the Patriots. The point is, with him getting short passes and running the ball as much as he has, he will run out of gas sooner then later. The smart thing for the Bills is to find a way to use both Jackson and Lynch into the offense and not over use either of their premier backs. Teams that will over use their guys will struggle down the road. It's the type of league it has become. The Bills have a very big opportunity here with having 2 awesome running backs and if used right, it could lead to many victories.

Spot on. Freddie's going to have a longer, more productive season if he's used well in conjunction with Lynch. And our running game is going to be really tough to stop. Marshawn's style of running really tires people out, which should create even more opportunity for Freddy.

HAMMER
09-26-2009, 11:22 AM
I don't think there is any doubt Jackson is the starter when Lynch returns, none.

PECKERWOOD
09-26-2009, 01:09 PM
What part of being suspended for 3 games isn't paying for a mistake?

Well, that was the comissioners penalty, it should go deeper than that. Obviously both backs are #1's, but I think that Freddy should be recognized as #1a due to his work ethic and more importantly his production thus far. Bring Lynch in on goal line situations or when we are inside the 20, I'd be cool with that.

Pinkerton Security
09-26-2009, 01:40 PM
Well, that was the comissioners penalty, it should go deeper than that. Obviously both backs are #1's, but I think that Freddy should be recognized as #1a due to his work ethic and more importantly his production thus far. Bring Lynch in on goal line situations or when we are inside the 20, I'd be cool with that.

thats BS...if you have paid for a mistake, do you ever expect to then get another penalty after that has been paid for the same issue? No.

I was watching some of JJamez's old videos and I know we're all falling in love with Freddy, perhaps due to the recency effect, but watching some of those videos makes me remember why so many of us love Marshawn: the dude runs HARD!! He wears down the defense and never ever gives up on a run. We dont have to choose people! We have 2 running backs, just like many other teams do. If we have to label one a starter, I honestly dont care who it is but I want them to share the load equally because they each bring a ton of talent to the field.

PECKERWOOD
09-26-2009, 01:50 PM
thats BS...if you have paid for a mistake, do you ever expect to then get another penalty after that has been paid for the same issue? No.

I was watching some of JJamez's old videos and I know we're all falling in love with Freddy, perhaps due to the recency effect, but watching some of those videos makes me remember why so many of us love Marshawn: the dude runs HARD!! He wears down the defense and never ever gives up on a run. We dont have to choose people! We have 2 running backs, just like many other teams do. If we have to label one a starter, I honestly dont care who it is but I want them to share the load equally because they each bring a ton of talent to the field.

Too bad we disagree on this one, you're one poster that I single out because I usually like your posts so much. To me, Freddy Jackson is just white hot right now and we should ride him until the heat cools down a bit. I'm definitely not advocating that Lynch should be on the bench for the entire game, but I do think that Jackson should have more relevancy in our offense in the meantime.

Mitchell55
09-26-2009, 02:39 PM
Even AP and Taylor share equal workload. AP is a top back in the past 5 years (he has a great line)

SpillerThrills
09-26-2009, 03:28 PM
To me, Freddy Jackson is just white hot right now and we should ride him until the heat cools down a bit. I'm definitely not advocating that Lynch should be on the bench for the entire game, but I do think that Jackson should have more relevancy in our offense in the meantime.

I agree with you that Jackson is hot right now, but you have to look at it this way.... if he's not hot, what are we left with? Omon has 4 runs for 17 yards. TE on the other hand has 5 runs for 49 yards. right now AVP and Jauron have no other choice than to keep Jackson in there pounding away at the D, not that it's a bad choice to make right now the way he's running.

I can't wait to see Beastmode back in the lineup to see what they come up with for him and Action Jackson... I think it's gonna be a scary time for opposing D's.

Novacane
09-26-2009, 03:36 PM
Freddy is on all 3 my fantasy teams. I definately agree he should stay starter :D

Mr. Pink
09-26-2009, 04:56 PM
Trade Lynch in the offseason.

Moves by the deadline are very seldom and although I wouldn't mind Omon getting 5-7 carries a game to spell Fred, I wouldn't trade Lynch til you can get a more capable backup unless there is a deal that blows me away.

Anything that strengthens another area of this team would be the right move in moving Lynch. Or if you can get a first round pick for the guy, which I highly doubt.

PECKERWOOD
09-26-2009, 05:12 PM

Moves by the deadline are very seldom and although I wouldn't mind Omon getting 5-7 carries a game to spell Fred, I wouldn't trade Lynch til you can get a more capable backup unless there is a deal that blows me away.

Anything that strengthens another area of this team would be the right move in moving Lynch. Or if you can get a first round pick for the guy, which I highly doubt.

Problem with trading Lynch is that this is a two back league and not only that but it would be hard to get value for him. Running backs are alot like cars in terms of value, as soon as you drive them out of the lot their value gets cut in half.

SquishDaFish
09-26-2009, 06:59 PM
Lynch will not lose hi job to his missing 3 games so get over it. They will split carries and Jackson will get his touches but Lynch will be the starter so live with it because he has also earned that right.

Patti120
09-26-2009, 07:51 PM
Quite simply, I think you start FJ (quite obviously he's earned it) and let ML know that he and FJ will both get lots of action and that both of them are the #1 backs. Each team they play and gameplan that the have may dictate that one gets more plays than the other but it would seem to me that they would spin it that they are both valued highly and are equally important. You may even start games with both of them in the backfield.

Just my 2 cents.

Meathead
09-26-2009, 09:51 PM
if i was the hc i would handle it this way

- fjack in for the first play and make it a pass
- beast runs on the second play
- alternate backs with a slight emphasis on fjack getting more passes than beast

this would give a psychological nod to fjack, both rewarding him for his outstanding play and sending a little nudge to beast that hes not necessarily the franchise because his actions have consequences

its not such a big deal that it would cause any lockerroom problems, and yet it still would send the multiple messages i wanted to at that time

Lexwhat
09-26-2009, 10:34 PM
I just love how we can take one of the most positive aspects of our team - having 2 great, complimentary RBs - and turn it into a controversy.

Complementary.

:up:

mysticsoto
09-26-2009, 11:52 PM

Unbelievable. Lynch is, by far, 1st rd material. Some of you people have the shortest term memories I've ever seen...

kelly2reed4six
09-27-2009, 10:15 AM
I don't give a crap who the feature back is.....it is going to be AWESOME to have these two guys playing together! I cannot wait to see the damage they are going to do.

mybills
09-27-2009, 11:50 AM
Trade Lynch?
:roflmao:

PECKERWOOD
09-27-2009, 11:54 AM
Unbelievable. Lynch is, by far, 1st rd material. Some of you people have the shortest term memories I've ever seen...

Very few backs in the NFL command a 1st round pick, Lynch would get us a 2nd round pick and a player MAX.