PDA

View Full Version : No surprise high-strung Hasek veered over edge again

Don Cherry
05-26-2003, 12:25 PM
Did you hear the latest from the Czech Republic? Dominik Hasek, formerly known as the world's best goaltender, melted down again in the heat of competition during an in-line game back home. His tantrums are usually hilarious, but it probably wasn't too funny for the guy he put in the hospital.
Luckily, there were no reporters around, or heaven knows how much carnage would have been left behind. Hasek was playing forward at the time. Perhaps the Sabres can sign him to help them work the corners, keeping in mind that Brad May and Matthew Barnaby still haven't settled their bet (who would run him first, made after the 1997 playoffs).

The latest incident involving Hasek might have been surprising to you, but it was hardly shocking to me. I've known Hasek for nearly 10 years. In many respects, he's a decent guy, but he always had a volcanic side. Frankly, I wondered what took so long.

A fine line exists separating competitive brilliance and complete nuttiness, and Hasek has been straddling it for years. I'm not sure what was bruised more after Rob Ray scored on him in practice, Hasek's ego or the numerous sticks he snapped over the crossbar. He once helicoptered a stick into the glass in HSBC Arena while fans were settling into their seats during warm-up for a game he wasn't starting. This is the same guy who practiced stopping shots with his head.
CLICK HERE FOR MORE.... (http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20030525/101023562.asp)