SeatownBillsFan21
09-27-2009, 12:01 AM
I dont get this thread???

Syderick
09-27-2009, 12:03 AM
Someones bored

evol4276
09-27-2009, 12:31 AM
he jus wants an explaination on the love affair for SJ which personally IDK outside of potential

The Juice Is Loose
09-27-2009, 12:34 AM
well how about after watching josh reed and peerless price for years, maybe fans are excited to have a slot WR that actually has size, hands, and the slight possibility of scoring more than 1 td every 3 years???

SeatownBillsFan21
09-27-2009, 01:17 AM
well how about after watching josh reed and peerless price for years, maybe fans are excited to have a slot WR that actually has size, hands, and the slight possibility of scoring more than 1 td every 3 years???
Well said

billsTOfan
09-27-2009, 01:23 AM
Josh Reed does everything a slot receiver is suppose to do and then some. Name me 10 better #3 WR's in the NFL. I bet finding 5 is hard enough. Reed's blocking ability is an addition to his numbers.

I hope Steve pans out but the disrespect and lack of appreciation for Josh Reed is crazy.

Nutthuggery at its finest. You guys complain about ESPN and Brady, but look at your nut hugging of a guy named Steve without justification. If Reed is out long term and Steve steps in you'll finally get it.

This is in way a stab at Johnson and his potential. More a shout out to Josh Reed as I feel he is very unappreciated and a big piece in moving the chains. Extremely a reliable receiver that has nice hands on 3rd n 8.

Michael82
09-27-2009, 02:04 AM
Excellent post! I don't know why, but it appears a lot of people here feel that Josh Reed is overrated and bash the guy all the time. I think it's the opposite. If he ever left, Reed would definitely be missed and I can see a team like New England signing him and making him into another Wes Welker. He's a very good receiver, good blocker and always is there for those clutch catches on 3rd down. I am glad to have him and hope the team can lock him up for a long time.

Crisis
09-27-2009, 02:25 AM
Agreed. The man-love for Steve Johnson who has shown almost nothing here is ridiculous, while people constantly bash Reed. I guarantee you if we ever let Reed go he'll eventually catch on in New England and you can't tell me he wouldn't dominate up there.

If he was on a real offense the past few years he'd have much better numbers. Other than I think his second year too, he's about as sure-handed of a receiver that you'll find.

LifetimeBillsFan
09-27-2009, 03:49 AM
I don't understand why it is necessary to bash one Bills player in order to proclaim an appreciation for another Bills player.

I like Steve Johnson. I think that he has the potential to develop into a pretty good weapon for the Bills in the near future and has shown some glimpses of having begun to develop that potential.

But, that doesn't mean that I don't appreciate what Josh Reed has done for the Bills or the important role that he plays in their offense. Now, maybe that's because I liked Reed even before the Bills drafted him, but I don't think so.

Truth be told, Josh Reed has never become the dominant outside receiver that I thought that he would become after seeing him during his Belentnikoff Award winning season at LSU. Now, maybe some Bills fans are still holding that against him. But, I'm not.

While it is true that Reed had problems with drops early in his career, he worked very hard to correct that problem and has become a very reliable pass-catcher the last couple of years. Similarly, even though he hasn't become a big-time # 2 WR on the outside for the Bills, despite their desperate need for one and giving him multiple opportunities to do so, he has become a very good slot receiver and perhaps their most reliable possession receiver in quite some time. Reed has also become a devastating run-blocker on the outside, especially for his size. Some of the blocks that he has made the last couple of years have been simply "textbook".

Most importantly, though, Reed has made himself Trent Edwards" "security blanket". Reed has been Edwards' favorite and most reliable receiver on third down situations. It is no accident that Edwards struggled last year after Reed went out for three games. The Bills' slide into mediocrity began with Reed's injury and continued until the Bills were out of the playoff race when Edwards got hurt before they were able to re-establish their connection again. It is essential for a QB, especially a young one who needs to learn to move the chains consistently, to establish a rapport with a receiver that he feels that he can go to in key situations and, for Edwards, Reed is that receiver.

Steve Johnson has the potential to become a similar kind of receiver for the Bills or even, possibly, a better # 2 WR on the outside than Reed has been, but he's clearly not there yet. In the meantime, however, no one should underestimate Josh Reed's importance to the Bills offense or the contributions that he has made (in particular by playing out of position on the outside so much over the years) and is still continuing to make to the team.

While it is true that a lot of Bills fans have focused on what Reed has NOT been able to do or become for the team over the years, I appreciate what he has done and will continue to do for the Bills offense. But, that doesn't mean that I can't appreciate Steve Johnson's potential and the way that he has been working to develop it thus far in his career at the same time.

As far as how Steve Johnson wears his hair or speaks or dresses or whatever is concerned, as long as he abides by the law and stays out of trouble with the NFL, I could care less--it's none of my business. All I care about, at that point, is what he is going to be able to contribute to the Bills to make them a better football team.

Dujek
09-27-2009, 04:53 AM
I like SJ's potential, and what we saw from him in limited action last year was encouraging, but I flat out love me some Josh Reed. Clutch on 3rd down, happy to lower a shoulder and open a hole for his RB, and happy to accept being the #3 receiver. He's exactly the sort of player you want in the slot.

Michael82
09-27-2009, 07:28 AM
I like SJ's potential, and what we saw from him in limited action last year was encouraging, but I flat out love me some Josh Reed. Clutch on 3rd down, happy to lower a shoulder and open a hole for his RB, and happy to accept being the #3 receiver. He's exactly the sort of player you want in the slot.
Great post and it honestly surprises me that not many people talk him up. If he was on a better offense, he would most likely be a Wes Welker or a Hines Ward. He's that good and clutch! Personally, I think he's almost identical to Ward, in that Ward sacrifices himself to make a huge block, makes the clutch catches and is a solid overall receiver. Trust me...if Reed left and went with New England...we would pay! He would probably rack up 1000 yards and torture us every single time we play them.

ddaryl
09-27-2009, 08:58 AM
I saw enough in SJ last season to want to see him get playing time this season

I want in as our #4 WR and I want Parrish to be dropped to the #5 WR.

Anyone who thinks Reed hasn't earned his #3 WR position obvioulsy isn't watching Bills games.

Mahdi
09-27-2009, 09:15 AM
The point is not that Josh sucks. Which I dont think he sucks but I think he is a dime a dozen.

He is tough and smart yes, just runs his routes and sits in the holes. That is a great thing to have but many WRs can do that.

What we have seen from Johnson in his very limited opportunities is that he can do what Reed does but he can also be a threat in the Redzone, and he can also make the tough catches downfield which Reed has never done.

Johnson to the fans, represents something we have not had in some time, the possibility of a complete receiver. Potential wise, it can even be argued that he is more complete than Lee. But I give Lee a pass because Trent simply limits the types of catches he can make with his limited variety of throws.

Once Trent gets that down, maybe Lee is seen as a more complete WR, but for now, outside of Owens, Johnson looks to be the most complete package in our WR corps, potentially speaking.

ddaryl
09-27-2009, 09:25 AM
The point is not that Josh sucks. Which I dont think he sucks but I think he is a dime a dozen.

He is tough and smart yes, just runs his routes and sits in the holes. That is a great thing to have but many WRs can do that.

What we have seen from Johnson in his very limited opportunities is that he can do what Reed does but he can also be a threat in the Redzone, and he can also make the tough catches downfield which Reed has never done.

Johnson to the fans, represents something we have not had in some time, the possibility of a complete receiver. Potential wise, it can even be argued that he is more complete than Lee. But I give Lee a pass because Trent simply limits the types of catches he can make with his limited variety of throws.

Once Trent gets that down, maybe Lee is seen as a more complete WR, but for now, outside of Owens, Johnson looks to be the most complete package in our WR corps, potentially speaking.

I agree with SJ being a better redzone threat, and a reason wy he should be active every week

However Reeds blocking ability at WR makes alot of things happen, and that is something you can try to teach a WR but many just don't do well.

Johnson deserves some playing time. Just wouldn't throw Reed under a bus to achieve it

Parrish is the odd man out by far.. he is useless as a WR and couldn't block a stick figure which was evident on Jacksons fumble last week

Jan Reimers
09-27-2009, 09:46 AM
Josh Reed catches everything, runs well after the catch, blocks like a banchee, and moves the chains. I like Steve Johnson, too, but calling Josh Reed - who's caught over 100 balls the last 2 seasons - a "dime a dozen" receiver is incredible.

BillsWin
09-27-2009, 09:49 AM
I believe this thread is in response to my own thread that Reed should sit this game (IF INJURED), and let Steve Johnson play in his place. Which is ridiculous.

I wasnt belittling Reed, in fact I like Reed very much and think we need him if Edwards is going to lead this team to the playoffs because the Edwards to Reed connection on third down has been clutch at times.

I just don't see a need to rush him back this week. If Reed is injured, I would much rather have him sit versus New Orleans and come back against the Dolphins.

I also stated that Steve Johnson WILL see time on the field this season, and that if Reed is injured than that time should be now.

Some people should learn to read before they start talking about "nuthuggery" and "disrespect" to Reed.

But I got flamed in my thread for saying an injured Reed should sit and that SJ is capable enough in my opinion to fill in for a game and that we could see what we have with the kid. :idunno:

I think someone even called for my banning. lol

All in good fun.

anyway, 31-28 Bills over Saints. GO BILLS!

Jan Reimers
09-27-2009, 10:04 AM
I believe this thread is in response to my own thread that Reed should sit this game (IF INJURED), and let Steve Johnson play in his place. Which is ridiculous.

I wasnt belittling Reed, in fact I like Reed very much and think we need him if Edwards is going to lead this team to the playoffs because the Edwards to Reed connection on third down has been clutch at times.

I just don't see a need to rush him back this week. If Reed is injured, I would much rather have him sit versus New Orleans and come back against the Dolphins.

I also stated that Steve Johnson WILL see time on the field this season, and that if Reed is injured than that time should be now.

Some people should learn to read before they start talking about "nuthuggery" and "disrespect" to Reed.

But I got flamed in my thread for saying an injured Reed should sit and that SJ is capable enough in my opinion to fill in for a game and that we could see what we have with the kid. :idunno:

I think someone even called for my banning. lol

All in good fun.

anyway, 31-28 Bills over Saints. GO BILLS!
My last post wasn't in reference to you. It was directed at a certain element on here that truly seem to believe that Reed has little value.

BillsWin
09-27-2009, 10:12 AM
My last post wasn't in reference to you. It was directed at a certain element on here that truly seem to believe that Reed has little value.
I know Jan. :up:

Reed is not given credit where credit is due. Its all because this generation watching Bills football today was raised in the fantasy football overload age in which stats are the only thing that matters.

Reed is a top five to ten possession receiver in the nfl with blocking rival to Hines Ward in my opinion. He's had some amazing blocks as a receiver.

Evans + Owens + Reed is an amazing top three WR combo.

Now, I may be so inclined to say Parrish isn't worth the fourth spot, but I've only ever thought of him as a punt returner and gimic receiver.

ddaryl
09-27-2009, 10:50 AM
I know Jan. :up:

Evans + Owens + Reed is an amazing top three WR combo.

I can't get the wonderful thoughts of what Evans + Owens + Reed + Johnson + Jackson, out of the backfield, out of my head. Imagine what that would do to opposing D's .

Evans + Owens + Johnson + Hardy + Nelson redzone package. Tell me why our coaches aren't utilizing this package besides Hardy being injured? BUT Johnson and Nelson should be in this package NOW... That's a lot of good height and receiving ability

SABURZFAN
09-27-2009, 10:57 AM
Is sickening. I don't get it.

you should have been around for the Losman years. that was sickening at its best. it got to the point where they ran out of excuses for the guy.

PECKERWOOD
09-27-2009, 12:14 PM
you should have been around for the Losman years. that was sickening at its best. it got to the point where they ran out of excuses for the guy.

Losman was good for sweeping the fins twice a year, sabz.

HHURRICANE
09-27-2009, 12:35 PM
Is sickening. I don't get it.

Totally agree. He looked like crap in pre-season.

shelby
09-27-2009, 12:46 PM
Josh Reed does everything a slot receiver is suppose to do and then some. Name me 10 better #3 WR's in the NFL. I bet finding 5 is hard enough. Reed's blocking ability is an addition to his numbers.

I hope Steve pans out but the disrespect and lack of appreciation for Josh Reed is crazy.

Nutthuggery at its finest. You guys complain about ESPN and Brady, but look at your nut hugging of a guy named Steve without justification. If Reed is out long term and Steve steps in you'll finally get it.

This is in way a stab at Johnson and his potential. More a shout out to Josh Reed as I feel he is very unappreciated and a big piece in moving the chains. Extremely a reliable receiver that has nice hands on 3rd n 8.

Agreed 110%. Josh Reed is and has always been overlooked and underrated.

billsTOfan
09-27-2009, 09:20 PM
Josh Reed was the only positive today

ddaryl
09-27-2009, 09:22 PM
Sure would have been peachy to see Stevie in the 4 WR sets today.... How many catches did Parrish tear it up with...

I don't know what he did to piss off the coaches, but it still seems strange that they don't give him a shot at the #4 WR position over Parrish. Especially when he showed he could make a few plays last season.

Parrish must have blackmail material on someone

ddaryl
09-27-2009, 09:24 PM

I thought FIne deserves a small kudo.. He had a couple of drops but he had 5 decent catches.

For his 1st action this season, I'll call the 2 drops rust...

psubills62
09-27-2009, 09:31 PM
Johnson should be out there, but at the expense of Parrish, not Reed. Reed deserves a contract extension at this point. Parrish deserves to have the contract ripped up in his face.

SABURZFAN
09-27-2009, 11:29 PM
Losman was good for sweeping the fins twice a year, sabz.

oy vey... :blowup:

Thurmal
09-28-2009, 08:24 AM
I just can't wait for the first opportunity to use the word "nuthuggery" in my day-to-day life. Fantastic.

Mahdi
09-28-2009, 09:00 AM
I dont see him as a positive. Honestly, he is just benefiting from the shell our QB is in.

It was funny when on one of our third down plays they showed how the NO defense doubled Reed in the slot and Edwards was staring him down the whole way. He couldn't throw it to Reed obviously so he took the sack.

As if we dont have anyone else on the field.