PDA

View Full Version : The Buffalo kid creates HITS foundation

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
09-27-2009, 11:47 AM
"I believe we can help a lot of people in the area," Patrick Kaleta said last week. "If I'm in a position where I can do that, I'm going to."

The Buffalo Sabres forward and his family have grand plans for HITS, which stands for Helping Individuals To Smile and incorporates his hard-checking reputation. The first goal is to build a multisport complex in Springville. Kaleta has already purchased land behind the Wal- Mart plaza on Route 219. His program will be similar to Hasek's Heroes, the charity launched by Sabres legend Dominik Hasek in which underprivileged kids can play hockey in the city.

The 23-year-old hockey player has a history of helping his communities. He would visit schools with his mother, Sandy, who works with handicapped children. He continued the charity work while playing junior hockey in Peterborough, Ont. After his only full season with the Sabres' minor-league affiliate in Rochester, he was named the team's Man of the Year.

"My mom and dad gave up a lot of things," he said. "They could have been going on vacations and having a grand old time, and instead they'd drive me and my brother to hockey practice, and they put my sister through lacrosse. St. Francis [High School] isn't the least expensive thing in the world, either. They've made a lot of sacrifices, and I realize that I'm in a position where I can help people have the opportunity to play hockey and have the same dream and goal to play for the Sabres.

"Growing up and seeing firsthand what people go through, I know Buffalo's not the most money-crazy city in the world. There's a lot of hard-working people here, and kids deserve a chance like I had."

Kaleta originally was content to help other causes. He donated his autograph money to The Ride for Roswell and two area hospitals. His foundation came about unexpectedly. A local business approached Tom Kaleta and said it was interested in donating $40,000 to his son's charity — which as of then hadn't even been dreamt up.
http://www.buffalonews.com/489/story/808843.html