PDA

View Full Version : Quick Take: Edwards isn't our guy

TheBrownBear
09-27-2009, 06:10 PM
It's plain to see that Edwards doesn't have what it takes to be anything other than an NFL backup or caretaker qb at best. He can start the rest of the season, but Bills need to address this need in the draft or free agency or they will be stuck in the cycle of losing indefinitely.

Also, F-you Jauron. Biggest god-d@mn joke in the NFL.

AVP - you called a real sh#tty game today.

Roscoe - you suck.

Ralph - (I really want to say "please die already" but that's evil so I'll stick with a) YOU SUCK!

The D played hard for 50+ minutes - so props to them. I'd roll over too once it became apparent that my quarterback was incapable of putting points on the board.

O-line sucked ass today, but they get a pass since they are young and just lost their best starter.

Owens and Evans should be chewing out Edwards ass this week. God d@mn...those are two very good receivers and Edwards can't even toss a ball their way? Sh#t!

Dr. Pepper
09-27-2009, 06:18 PM
fire jauron, draft colt mccoy

Captain gameboy
09-27-2009, 06:20 PM
I don't think you have "what it takes," Brown Bear.

Edwards is the least of our problems.

Luisito23
09-27-2009, 06:23 PM

So I guess scoring doesn't count?

TheBrownBear
09-27-2009, 06:24 PM

You're entitled to your opinion, but can you please expound? Why do you think the offense is incapable of getting it done against a mediocre defense at home? Yeah, the o-line stunk today, I'll give you that. But if it's not Edwards, is it the playcalling? Why can't Edwards get Owens and Evans the ball? Sh$t, JP sucked ass and he still was able to get Evans the ball.

Mahdi
09-27-2009, 06:25 PM

Edwards is problem #1.... I bet Evans and Owens would agree.

sdbillsfan2
09-27-2009, 06:29 PM

Your kidding aren't you?

<table class="yspwhitebg" width="100%" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr class="ysptblthbody1" align="right"><td class="yspdetailttl first" align="left" height="18">Buffalo</td> <td class="yspdetailttl">Comp</td> <td class="yspdetailttl">Att</td> <td class="yspdetailttl">Yds</td> <td class="yspdetailttl">Pct</td> <td class="yspdetailttl">Y/A</td> <td class="yspdetailttl">Sack</td> <td class="yspdetailttl">YdsL</td> <td class="yspdetailttl">TD</td> <td class="yspdetailttl">Int</td> <td class="yspdetailttl">Rating </td> </tr> <tr class="ysprow1" align="right"> <td class="first" align="left"> T. Edwards</td> <td>20</td> <td>35</td> <td>156</td> <td>57.1</td> <td>4.5</td> <td>4</td> <td>27</td> <td>0</td> <td>1</td> <td>56.4 </td></tr></tbody></table>

What part of those stats support we can't do better with someone else?
Hell , how much worse could Fitz or Hambone done ?

Dick, should be gone ASAP and he can take Captain Crunchless with him !

4.5 yards ave. I can't believe it!

Captain gameboy
09-27-2009, 06:29 PM
You're entitled to your opinion, but can you please extrapolate. Why do you think the offense is incapable of getting it done against a mediocre defense at home? Yeah, the o-line stunk today, I'll give you that. But if it's not Edwards, is it the playcalling? Why can't Edwards get Owens and Evans the ball? Sh$t, JP sucked ass and he still was able to get Evans the ball.

Edward hit what was given, mostly, and that included spending the entire fourth quarter trying to be Ozzie Smith fielding ground ball snaps.

This offense has serious trouble with wide receiver and tight end passing production, and serious production problems overall.

You want to hang that on TE, fine.

I don't.

TheBrownBear
09-27-2009, 06:32 PM
Edward hit what was given, mostly, and that included spending the entire fourth quarter trying to be Ozzie Smith fielding ground ball snaps.

This offense has serious trouble with wide receiver and tight end passing production, and serious production problems overall.

You want to hang that on TE, fine.

I don't.

Tight end passing production has been pretty solid.

I think playcalling and the general mentality of Jauron is a big problem too.

But I think Edwards is just as big of a problem as the playcalling.

Agree to disagree, I guess.

Captain gameboy
09-27-2009, 06:32 PM
Your kidding aren't you?

<table class="yspwhitebg" width="100%" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr class="ysptblthbody1" align="right"><td class="yspdetailttl first" align="left" height="18">Buffalo</td> <td class="yspdetailttl">Comp</td> <td class="yspdetailttl">Att</td> <td class="yspdetailttl">Yds</td> <td class="yspdetailttl">Pct</td> <td class="yspdetailttl">Y/A</td> <td class="yspdetailttl">Sack</td> <td class="yspdetailttl">YdsL</td> <td class="yspdetailttl">TD</td> <td class="yspdetailttl">Int</td> <td class="yspdetailttl">Rating </td> </tr> <tr class="ysprow1" align="right"> <td class="first" align="left"> T. Edwards</td> <td>20</td> <td>35</td> <td>156</td> <td>57.1</td> <td>4.5</td> <td>4</td> <td>27</td> <td>0</td> <td>1</td> <td>56.4 </td></tr></tbody></table>

What part of those stats support we can't do better with someone else?
Hell , how much worse could Fitz or Hambone done ?

Dick, should be gone ASAP and he can take Captain Crunchless with him ! with him.

4.5 yards ave. I can't believe it!

Ya. I'm kidding.

Watch every second half replay.

Note how open our WR's were. See any?

Note how well the snaps were delivered. See any?

Stats are results

Captain gameboy
09-27-2009, 06:37 PM
Tight end passing production has been pretty solid.

I think playcalling and the general mentality of Jauron is a big problem too.

But I think Edwards is just as big of a problem as the playcalling.

Agree to disagree, I guess.

Sure. Its Edwards.

Notice how Lee and TO were running free. Replay after replay. Wide open.

Note how well the no huddle was operating; crisp snaps, nice line play. Purposeful, effective motion, freeing up skill players.

Ya. It must have been Trent.

Maybe next Tuesday we can have him field ground balls all day to make it more effective, because that's what he was doing the entire fourth quarter.

sdbillsfan2
09-27-2009, 06:45 PM
Last couple of years we listened to all the Losman excuses, this must be the year for Trent. Why is it only in Buffalo these things happen? The Steelers get Big Ben, that works out for them , Falcon and Raven seem to do okay with Ryan and Flacco. Now the Jets are 3-0 with a rookie. But In Buffalo ,it NEVER Trent's fault?
Yeah he has a young line. If the snaps are low, anticipate, adjust ,
I so friggin sick of all the excuses and year in and year out we end up with second rate crap!

trapezeus
09-27-2009, 06:47 PM
edwards has more good games than bad ones...this wasn't good. but it wasn't problematic. His stats look like some of JP's best. And we still have a slew of people who wanted to give him another chance.

The game turned on that bizarre interception...but that drive was moving.

Trent gets the year for his evaluation. I think he checks down a lot, but like i've said, evans just isn't a number 1. even with his pal losman he only got a bomb or two and had good yards, but he wasn't a third down receiver that you can go to in the clutch. he's a luxury. He's fast...but he's taken out with a safety

this game could have been different if lynch was able to play. in the first half, jackson was moving the ball well. you bring in a fresh marshawn, and that offense might have openned the deep play up.

Typ0
09-27-2009, 06:49 PM
I don't have a problem with the check downs but he's doing it too quick before the play has a chance to develop. He is struggling right now and it's definately not pretty.

Meathead
09-27-2009, 07:19 PM
man talk about what have you done for me lately

edwards plays two strong games and one weak but not disaster one, and youre calling for his head?!??

wow

Nighthawk
09-27-2009, 07:20 PM
Edwards is problem #1.... I bet Evans and Owens would agree.

Jauron is problem #1...Edwards is a close second...

Canadian'eh!
09-27-2009, 07:21 PM
Until we have an actual Coach, I'm not gonna blame Trent who has brilliant at times in the first 2 games.

Mahdi
09-27-2009, 07:24 PM
man talk about what have you done for me lately

edwards plays two strong games and one weak but not disaster one, and youre calling for his head?!??

wow
Edwards having 2 strong games against NE and Tampa was an illusion. I dont care what the stats say.

I knew the time would come when he would struggle like this because you cannot be a QB in this league and not throw basic NFL throws...

Captain gameboy
09-27-2009, 07:25 PM
I think he makes "basic NFL throws."

YardRat
09-27-2009, 07:37 PM
Edwards didn't have the greatest game (the overthrow to Owens, particularly...big time QB's hit that receiver in stride at big times), but he is far from the train wreck that was JP.

A bunch of shoulda/coulda/woulda's, but...

Our o-line is very green...they will struggle more often than not.

Freddie is getting too many carries...Oman should've been used more. If you don't trust a guy to contribute, cut him.

Owens is on cruise control...winning football games isn't his #1 priority.

Jauron should've been let go after last season...we can play well and lose without him, as well as with him.

Captain gameboy
09-27-2009, 07:46 PM
Looked to me that the Saints weren't that impressed with Freddie enough to fill the box.

Looked to me that we are getting absolutely nothing from our wideouts in the middle of the field, and nothing from our TE today.

Looked to me that we ran no screens, misdirections and very few play actions.

Looked to me that our incredibly green o'line finally ran out of luck, and got their arses booted.

Looked to me that Trent was under constant pressure, and did a great job fielding ground ball snaps. Not easy with a football.

Looked to me that we were way behind in defending corner blitzes-like we had never seen them before.

Looked to me like our D is holding its own, though just barely.

Looks to me that we have a lot of work to do on the O side, and our special teams are nothing special at all.

justasportsfan
09-27-2009, 07:59 PM
meh. Trent went to Capt. Checkdown mode again. He just won't throw the ball unless the wrs are open. He just isn't comfortable with medium to long range. I saw Evans on one on one a few times and Trent refused to take a chance. His throws to TO were off too.

Captain gameboy
09-27-2009, 08:08 PM
meh. Trent went to Capt. Checkdown mode again. He just won't throw the ball unless the wrs are open. He just isn't comfortable with medium to long range. I saw Evans on one on one a few times and Trent refused to take a chance. His throws to TO were off too.

Ya. You are right.

Lee and TO were open and Trent didn't throw.

Good snaps. Good protection. Good timing. Open receivers.

Mahdi
09-27-2009, 08:15 PM
Ya. You are right.

No,,, you're right... he was sacked on all 35 attempts. His two big time WR were blanketed on every play and the snap was botched on every down.

HHURRICANE
09-27-2009, 08:18 PM
How many snaps did edwards pick up off the ground? 6? 7? 8?

Sorry but the blame is everywhere including Owens that can barely catch the cathchable balls. and Evans that disappears for quarters on end.

Reed seems to get open.

justasportsfan
09-27-2009, 09:27 PM
Ya. You are right.

i'm not saying the ol didn't have it's faults. When To and Lee are 1 on 1 throw it.

justasportsfan
09-27-2009, 09:28 PM
Reed seems to get open.
thats because thats Trents game, checkdown.

JediMindPowers
09-28-2009, 01:27 AM
Note how open our WR's were. See any?

Yea I did.

Edwards overthrew a wide open Owens.

JediMindPowers
09-28-2009, 01:31 AM
Neither Evans or Owens are doing well this season. Hmmmm, I wonder why.

Could it be that Evans and Owens are both crappy receivers who don't get open? Or is it more likely the third-year quarterback who rarely throws downfield.

Hmmmm. I wonder....

...And by the way Zoners, from a friend of mine who attended the game today, he said he saw Owens and Evans open quite a lot.

Either way, Edwards has to get them the ball. He has to give them an opportunity to make a play.

Edwards is not even doing that.

JediMindPowers
09-28-2009, 01:35 AM
Freddie is getting too many carries...

Are you kidding me?

Jackson didn't get enough carries today.

He was getting good yards all game.

We should have went to him waaaaaay more than we did.

kingJofNYC
09-28-2009, 04:31 AM
How many snaps did edwards pick up off the ground? 6? 7? 8?

Sorry but the blame is everywhere including Owens that can barely catch the cathchable balls. and Evans that disappears for quarters on end.

Reed seems to get open.

Yeah, but the Saints even took Reed away by the end of the game. I recall on one third down Reed ran across the middle, and Sharper just jumped the underneath throw to Reed. Trent hesitated, because it was his primary read, and the OL didn't give him enough time to check off to another receiver. Obviously someone was open down field because Sharper was sitting underneath.

The problem is we can't rely on one guy to get open, and they can't all be covered at the same time, not all the time. I think there's a "don't mess this up/turn it over" mentality on O, and it needs to be changed. Not that turning it over is what we want, but we need to take more risks.

Watching Rivers throw those deep posts to Vincent Jackson today was eye opening. Two guys were in Jackson's general vicinity, but Rivers still tried to fit in. Those are the types of throws we need to see more of.

BertSquirtgum
09-28-2009, 05:25 AM
edwards sucks. i have always said it.

Jan Reimers
09-28-2009, 05:48 AM
Trent is a timid, checkdown guy. Owens and Evans have gotten open their entire careers. It's utter nonsense to think that they were never open yesterday. Trent just won't throw it downfield.

This guy is not our future.

Typ0
09-28-2009, 10:13 AM
TE certainly needs to make some advancements soon or he's done. I really felt like he was going through his reads too fast and not letting plays develop. We can't be waiting around another year to figure out if he'll get it like we did with JP...but like I keep saying I have no idea why we don't have another proven guy here anyway.

HHURRICANE
09-28-2009, 10:21 AM
Edwards threw 4 catchable deep balls last week. Two were TDs and two were dropped.

He played against a much better D this week that took advantage of our inexperience line. End of story.

He overthrew Owens on one deep ball into a strong wind that he over compensated for. Drew Brees didn't excatly light it up yesterday either.

Did it ever cross anyone's minds that the Bills played conservative because any turnovers or 3 and outs was just putting the Saints O back on the field? I think that was the gameplan that the QB was executing.

Mahdi
09-28-2009, 10:21 AM
TE certainly needs to make some advancements soon or he's done. I really felt like he was going through his reads too fast and not letting plays develop. We can't be waiting around another year to figure out if he'll get it like we did with JP...but like I keep saying I have no idea why we don't have another proven guy here anyway.
I think the FO and coaches wanted to send a "the team is yours" message to Edwards by not signing a proven vet to boost his confidence and let him take ownership of the team.

He doesn't even take ownership of a play let alone a team.

Mahdi
09-28-2009, 10:28 AM
Edwards threw 4 catchable deep balls last week. Two were TDs and two were dropped.

He played against a much better D this week that took advantage of our inexperience line. End of story.

He overthrew Owens on one deep ball into a strong wind that he over compensated for. Drew Brees didn't excatly light it up yesterday either.

Did it ever cross anyone's minds that the Bills played conservative because any turnovers or 3 and outs was just putting the Saints O back on the field? I think that was the gameplan that the QB was executing.
Man,

It's great that you believe in Edwards, and maybe down the line you will be the last man standing and Edwards will suddenly become a franchise QB.

BUT as of now, he has given nor you or I any evidence that he is a franchise QB, he plays not to lose. He has an inability to make the tough throws. HE HASN'T MADE A SINGLE TOUGH THROW since becoming the starter 2 years ago.

I dont like the way he throws downfield when he does throw it either. The one he threw deep over the middle against Tennessee in preseason was horrible and got picked.

Against the Bucs last week he had the pick, and one that sailed over Evans head.

That is 3 times he tried to make that throw all year and they were horribly off target.

Trent has bad technique and that is why he has no confidence in himself to make the throws we all expect.

Probably because he tries them in practice and they dont work. So naturally, in the games he is afraid to throw them.

HHURRICANE
09-28-2009, 10:36 AM
Man,

It's great that you believe in Edwards, and maybe down the line you will be the last man standing and Edwards will suddenly become a franchise QB.

BUT as of now, he has given nor you or I any evidence that he is a franchise QB, he plays not to lose. He has an inability to make the tough throws. HE HASN'T MADE A SINGLE TOUGH THROW since becoming the starter 2 years ago.

I dont like the way he throws downfield when he does throw it either. The one he threw deep over the middle against Tennessee in preseason was horrible and got picked.

Against the Bucs last week he had the pick, and one that sailed over Evans head.

That is 3 times he tried to make that throw all year and they were horribly off target.

Trent has bad technique and that is why he has no confidence in himself to make the throws we all expect.

Probably because he tries them in practice and they dont work. So naturally, in the games he is afraid to throw them.

He still has a winning record as the starter.

I'm not sure what level of competance Edwards is going to get to but he's further along here than Drew Brees was at this point in his career.

I think people are expecting Jim Kelly everytime a QB puts on a uniform here. Above average can certainly win you a Superbowl and maybe that's all Edwards will ever be.

But there are so many issues on this team that need to get addressed before QB. We have two DEs that get single teamed the entire game. We have 3 LBs on the field that are pretty much are a joke. And even if Poz comes back he's been nothing but mediocre.

Where is the Tight End threat? It's still not on the field yet. Fine was horrible yesterday. The TE is supposed to catch the ball.

mybills
09-28-2009, 10:40 AM
Roscoe - you suck.

Why?

Mahdi
09-28-2009, 10:50 AM
He still has a winning record as the starter.

I'm not sure what level of competance Edwards is going to get to but he's further along here than Drew Brees was at this point in his career.

I think people are expecting Jim Kelly everytime a QB puts on a uniform here. Above average can certainly win you a Superbowl and maybe that's all Edwards will ever be.

But there are so many issues on this team that need to get addressed before QB. We have two DEs that get single teamed the entire game. We have 3 LBs on the field that are pretty much are a joke. And even if Poz comes back he's been nothing but mediocre.

Where is the Tight End threat? It's still not on the field yet. Fine was horrible yesterday. The TE is supposed to catch the ball.
I agee we could be better on some areas of the team, but that has ZERO to do with Trent throwing passes to his top tier WRs against a weak secondary.

I believe Kevin Kolb who has all of 2 or 3 starts tore up the Saints D for 360 yards and 2 TDs.

Philly D gave up 41 points. Had Trent put up even 10-13 points we would have won.

superbills
09-28-2009, 10:56 AM
What happened to those screen plays we ran so effectively against New England? Do the injuries on our line have anything to do with us moving away from those plays?

justasportsfan
09-28-2009, 11:02 AM
What happened to those screen plays we ran so effectively against New England? Do the injuries on our line have anything to do with us moving away from those plays?
Greg Williams saw tape on us.

The Juice Is Loose
09-28-2009, 11:08 AM
Edwards didn't have the greatest game (the overthrow to Owens, particularly...big time QB's hit that receiver in stride at big times), but he is far from the train wreck that was JP.

A bunch of shoulda/coulda/woulda's, but...

Our o-line is very green...they will struggle more often than not.

Freddie is getting too many carries...Oman should've been used more. If you don't trust a guy to contribute, cut him.

Owens is on cruise control...winning football games isn't his #1 priority.

Jauron should've been let go after last season...we can play well and lose without him, as well as with him.

i don't disagree with most of what you said except for the comment about Owens. he's playing as hard as anybody on our team and given his track record i don't see how you could say he's on cruise control.

he blocks very well in the run game and when you wait 30-45 minutes for your first opportunity to catch a ball it can get you in a funk and make those plays harder. last week, we made certain to get him involved early with that reverse. this week, our whole gameplan lacked creativity and smarts.

i said 10-6 and included this game as a loss. it's pretty disheartening to have the offense play so bad, but i still feel the defense did fine. kelsay had a good game. bottom line is we held the leagues best offense for most of the game. 2nd half they put in a power back with fresh legs (thomas had 0 carries this season) and he ran us our tired defense over. the offense lost this game for us. we had every opportunity to do something and win but we didn't.

trent definately is afraid to throw intermediate passes which is what hurts. dinks are fine, over the top bombs are fine. but if you watch any other nfl games those qb's can throw 20 yard hitches, outs, and posts. we never throw those, ever. and i don't think its because its' not getting called. he drops back and checks down immediately, but that could also be contributed to lack of confidence in the o line. afraid to get hit.

honestly i think if i was edwards i'd be shellshocked some from that concussion last year. it was bad. it was dirty too.

i mean we'll see how this season goes. if they return to their form of weeks 1 and 2 i still think they can go 10-6. but if they play like they did against the saints, we won't make the playoffs.

djjimkelly
09-28-2009, 11:08 AM
Edwards having 2 strong games against NE and Tampa was an illusion. I dont care what the stats say.

I knew the time would come when he would struggle like this because you cannot be a QB in this league and not throw basic NFL throws...

im reading thru this thread and thinking that exact thing.

doesnt an nfl qb have to be able to fit the ball in on several routes where u have it or u dont.

problem with trent he doesnt want to show anyone whether he has it or not becuz those throws are never attempted