PDA

View Full Version : Trent Edwards: The Perfect Backup QB

Mahdi
09-27-2009, 06:21 PM
Simply, Trent is not a starting QB.

Before the season started I made a thread about Trent's poor mechanics and he has displayed them throughout the first 3 games.

You have 2 big play WRs, one of which is a HOFer and you can't get them the football?? You kidding me?

Derek Fine and Josh Reed are your top 2 targets....

Through three games he hasn't made a single throw through the seems of the field... NO deep slants, NO deep crosses, NO post throws...

SORRY,,, Trent is a game manager. He wont lose it for you, He wont win it for you.

Thurmal
09-27-2009, 07:29 PM
It's maddening. Out of the top 10 WRs in the league, we are fortunate enough to have two of them, but he can't get them the ball.

I hate this team right now. A lot.

justasportsfan
09-27-2009, 08:01 PM
his mechanics are ok. It's just that he just doesn't have cojones to throw it. He should send his sister home.

HHURRICANE
09-27-2009, 08:25 PM
Edwards is not the problem.

TheBrownBear
09-27-2009, 08:28 PM
Through three games he hasn't made a single throw through the seems of the field... NO deep slants, NO deep crosses, NO post throws...

I think he had one on that last drive in New England. Otherwise, everything you've said is correct. Trent is at best a Patrick Ramsey type.

Mahdi
09-27-2009, 08:28 PM
Edwards is not the problem.
Who is throwing the ball?

Trent has no excuses, he has a good run game, great WRs and decent TE play. Even his young line is doing well enough for him to make plays. He is indecisive and gun shy, and personally I dont think he throws the ball well even when he does decide.

Mahdi
09-27-2009, 08:30 PM
I think he had one on that last drive in New England. Otherwise, everything you've said is correct. Trent is at best a Patrick Ramsey type.
Yeah he had the gimme to TO in garbage time... the middle of the field was so open I could have thrown it in there.

HHURRICANE
09-27-2009, 08:33 PM
Who is throwing the ball?

Trent has no excuses, he has a good run game, great WRs and decent TE play. Even his young line is doing well enough for him to make plays. He is indecisive and gun shy, and personally I dont think he throws the ball well even when he does decide.

It's not all on Edwards today. The Parrish fumble was a huge game changer and momentum killer. Our special team were horrible subtracting the gadget play. Our o-line was horrible, which by the way is where Edwards plays behind.

Is Edwards supposed to block and throw?

ddaryl
09-27-2009, 08:38 PM
I like Edwards but I am tired of this O's inability to find its 2 top WR's, and that is something AVP an Trent need to fix NOW...

also Trent still fails to to be able to dictate a game. He plays well when th team is playng well for him, but when we need him to make plays that instills confidence in the players around him he seems to fade or can't seal the deal

If we don't start seeing the occasional 300 yd passing game, and consistent ability to involve Evans and TO then we need to look for his eventual replacement.

But the fact is he is our starter this year, nothing we moan about will change that.

HHURRICANE
09-27-2009, 08:44 PM
I like Edwards but I am tired of this O's inability to find its 2 top WR's, and that is something AVP an Trent need to fix NOW...

also Trent still fails to to be able to dictate a game. He plays well when th team is playng well for him, but when we need him to make plays that instills confidence in the players around him he seems to fade or can't seal the deal

If we don't start seeing the occasional 300 yd passing game, and consistent ability to involve Evans and TO then we need to look for his eventual replacement.

But the fact is he is our starter this year, nothing we moan about will change that.

First intelligent criticism of Edwards. This is a fair criticism. His lack of 300 yard games and his inability to dictate a game are completely in bounds.

TheBrownBear
09-27-2009, 09:45 PM

This is an elegant critique and the one that I was searching for. We need a playmaker and a leader at the QB position. A guy like Flutie had his shortcomings (no pun intended) but he carried the team to victories during that 1998 season. We haven't gotten that kind of play since then (accept for a couple of Bledsoe games against inferior competition). Trent hasn't shown that he can be that type of guy yet...and based on what we've seen so far, I'm fearful that we may never see Edwards develop into the leader we need.

Syderick
09-27-2009, 10:05 PM
I think he's still learning. I'd like to see what he does the rest of the season to see if he progresses or regresses. He's going to have bad game like most quarterbacks do. However he's on the hotseat this season.

PECKERWOOD
09-27-2009, 10:23 PM
I disagree, I feel that Trent may make the pro bowl this year.

Oaf
09-27-2009, 10:41 PM
Some of you guys are unbelievable. Last week you're saying how's he's the top guy in the AFC, pass rating this, clutch performances that. Now this? You're tossing this guy under faster than Losman for pete's sake.

Mahdi, I usually really like your posts, but I'm glad you weren't a Giants fan pre-2007.

Stoneludlow
09-27-2009, 10:44 PM
I think he's still learning. I'd like to see what he does the rest of the season to see if he progresses or regresses. He's going to have bad game like most quarterbacks do. However he's on the hotseat this season.

Still learning? Correct me, but isn't this his third season in the NFL?

I don't think he has completely healed psychologically from his injury from last season.

I think it's time to see what HIS back up can do and I mean now.

Mahdi
09-27-2009, 10:55 PM
It's not all on Edwards today. The Parrish fumble was a huge game changer and momentum killer. Our special team were horrible subtracting the gadget play. Our o-line was horrible, which by the way is where Edwards plays behind.

Momentum... what momentum....?

Punt, Punt, punt, punt, INT, Punt.

Stoneludlow
09-27-2009, 10:57 PM
Momentum... what momentum....?

Punt, Punt, punt, punt, INT, Punt.

If it weren't for ST's play it would have been a NO shutout

Mahdi
09-27-2009, 10:58 PM

The OL was not a problem today. Later in the game it was, Bell went out with injury, still, the OL was good enough for Trent to make throws and plays. He didn't make them, frankly, it's mind boggling that a third year QB can't throw down the hashes to two excellent WRs.

SeatownBillsFan21
09-27-2009, 11:03 PM
I think if we went with the solid vets at any of the OL positions and ditched this NO Huddle bull s*** gave the dude some time back in the pocket it would be different for him. i like TE but he was not on his game today.this entire playbook needs to be scraped i dont think its time to bench him as of yet but somthing has to change on Offense or its gonna be a long season.

Syderick
09-27-2009, 11:13 PM
Still learning? Correct me, but isn't this his third season in the NFL?

I don't think he has completely healed psychologically from his injury from last season.

I think it's time to see what HIS back up can do and I mean now.

Yea, because he's still young and getting used to the no-huddle. Correct me, but isn't the back ups Fitzpatrick and Hamdan?

Owen DeBoard
09-27-2009, 11:16 PM

How about the int he threw that he tried forcing into T O on 3rd and 3. I do believe that we were in field goal range and it would have tied the game up but he tried forcing a throw that was well covered and paid the price.

Oaf
09-27-2009, 11:18 PM
How about the int he threw that he tried forcing into T O on 3rd and 3. I do believe that we were in field goal range and it would have tied the game up but he tried forcing a throw that was well covered and paid the price. Did it matter if we had tied it at that point? We still fail to move the ball thereafter and eventually the defense succumbs.

You all are *****ing about "getting the ball to our playmakers". Did a bad route ever occur to you? Or a good play by Greer (who should still be here)? Trent tried to squeeze one into his "possession" WR and got unlucky.

Owen DeBoard
09-27-2009, 11:24 PM
Did it matter if we had tied it at that point? We still fail to move the ball thereafter and eventually the defense succumbs.

You all are *****ing about "getting the ball to our playmakers". Did a bad route ever occur to you? Or a good play by Greer (who should still be here)? Trent tried to squeeze one into his "possession" WR and got unlucky.
Trent played a horrible game plain and simple. He over threw T O and he threw a int when we are in scoring position. Im not making any excuses for anybody.

yordad
09-28-2009, 12:21 AM

Is Edwards supposed to block and throw?WE SCORED ZERO ON OFFENSE. ZERO!

Demon
09-28-2009, 11:12 AM
Simply, Trent is not a starting QB.

Before the season started I made a thread about Trent's poor mechanics and he has displayed them throughout the first 3 games.

You have 2 big play WRs, one of which is a HOFer and you can't get them the football?? You kidding me?

Derek Fine and Josh Reed are your top 2 targets....

SORRY,,, Trent is a game manager. He wont lose it for you, He wont win it for you.

Good post. I've always supported Edwards but i'm starting to second guess how good he really is. He has all the tools to work with and yesterday he did have time several times and had T.O. and Evans in single coverage, and even open several times, and yet he doesn't even look after them. He just tries to go short and the easy play. The deep pass to Owens was a joke. He had two guys beat and it was totally over thrown.