PDA

View Full Version : Who is the most overrated or underrated player in the N.F.L

BillsFanInMass
05-26-2003, 05:26 PM
I would have to say one of the most overrated in the NFL is Charles Woodson he makes pro bowl alot with crappy stats and always gets burned by opposing teams best receiver.

One of the most underrated is Antoine Winfield he hardly gets beaten and is one of the hardest hitters in the game. He plays the run so good ive seen him crawl under a blocker to make a shoe string tackle in the backfield twice in one game.

Schobel94
05-26-2003, 05:38 PM
Was that the Bears game? I saw him do that too, he's phenomonal.

BillsFanInMass
05-26-2003, 06:36 PM
I think it was. The announcers were even talkin about it how they never seen nothing like it.

moogyman
05-26-2003, 08:02 PM
I personally think that goofy-assed bast*** " cindy " brady is by far the most overrated player imo. As for underrated I think there are quite a few that come to mind, mostly on the OL's

Tatonka
05-26-2003, 09:32 PM
sam madison is the most OVERRATED

donnie edwards is the most UNDERRATED

Dozerdog
05-26-2003, 09:38 PM
Randy Moss- For the NFL's best receiver, his piss-poor work ethic and lack luster effort on some plays is frustrating. If he had a quarter of Jetty Rice's drive and desire, he would shatter all of his records.

Underrated? I'd have to say Pat Williams. He's amazing for what's around him.

mypoorfriendme
05-27-2003, 01:02 AM
over-rated: id have to give it to marshall faulk. dont get me wrong hes a really good player, but last year was a terrible season and yet he still made the profile. but dont worry, the voters arent biased at all! oh and also the 67 year old aenas penis williams.

under-rated: jeremy shokey. simply unstoppable. yeah people think hes good, but its not very usual when see a rookie TE come down with the jump ball against an all-pro safety.

mypoorfriendme
05-27-2003, 01:02 AM
wow profile?? i mean pro-bowl...oopsies!! hehe

venis2k1
05-27-2003, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by mypoorfriendme
under-rated: jeremy shokey. simply unstoppable. yeah people think hes good, but its not very usual when see a rookie TE come down with the jump ball against an all-pro safety.

Are you on Crack???? he won Rookie of the year(with 2 TDs) over Portis(1500+ yards and 17 TDs) That seems pretty over rated to me.

The Natrix
05-27-2003, 01:34 AM
overrated: Zach Thomas. The Great white hope doewn't stand a chance against the likes of Colvin and Spikes.

underrated: Peerless Price. The Vick-Price connection will be better than the Garcia to Owens.

TheGhostofJimKelly
05-27-2003, 09:32 AM
Most overrated
1. Keyshawn Johnson, WR, TB
2. Peyton Manning, QB, Ind
3. Mike Alstot, FB, TB
4. Tom Brady, QB, NE
5. Jesse Armstead, LB, Was

Most underrated
1. Ahmed Plummer, CB, SF/Fred Thomas, CB, NO (can't decide)
2. Antowain Winfield, CB, Buffalo
3. Brian Simmons, LB, Cincinatti
4. Darryl Jackson, WR, Seattle
5. Laverneous Coles, WR, Washington

Honorable mentions - Over - Mike Vick, Drew Bledsoe, and R. Moss

WG
05-27-2003, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by The Natrix
underrated: Peerless Price. The Vick-Price connection will be better than the Garcia to Owens.

What would you like to wager on that?

I think Price is gonna get shut out against any playoff team that they play and that his yardage will come from a handful of big plays against weaker opponents.

How many yards do you think he'll have this season? TDs?

WG
05-27-2003, 10:12 AM
For $40M over 7 years w/ $13M guaranteed, Jake Plummer has to be the most overrated QB in the NFL.

If anyone disagrees, please show me in the history of the game where a QB w/ the following career numbers and data...:

90 TDs/114 INTs
56% compl.
Only 1 season in 6 where he tossed more TDs than INTs
Never more than 18 TDs in a season
...with talent at WR and RB such as Moore, Boston, Sanders, Centers

...got paid so much.

I just don't get it. Meanwhile, those wily Broncos traded away a QB who in 4 seasons as a starter has:

71 TDs/52 INTs
Has never thrown fewer TDs than INTs
Has a 7.0 YPA avg.
62.1% compl.

Again, I just don't get it. Fine, Griese was not the answer in Denver, but if Plummer is, then I'll eat mild wings for a month!

I'll even predict that they have a QB controversy and that Plummer's getting boo'd outta there by week 12. Where some of these perceptions in the NFL come from are beyond me...

Earthquake Enyart
05-27-2003, 10:16 AM
Underrated: Charlie Garner

Overrated: Fiedler

WG
05-27-2003, 10:40 AM
IDK how Fiedler can possibly be more overrated than Plummer.

Plummer's had 2 or 3 times the weapons on O. Fiedler's first three seasons as a starter blow Plummer's away. Fiedler's highest INT total is still lower than half of JP's seasons.

Earthquake Enyart
05-27-2003, 10:47 AM
Comon sense would tell you that Plummer would have more int's than Fiedler because the Cardinals are always behind.

WG
05-27-2003, 10:51 AM
Seems to me that since that was the case, they'd have gotten quite a few TDs that would have been "aberational" as well. Yet, Plummer had only 18 as his career high. Twice. Then 17, 15, 13, and 9.

So are you telling me, that even v. prevent defenses he couldn't put up any gimme TDs?

Or is that all he put up, b/c 18 TDs, again, a career high, surely doesn't speak well of that under those circumstances.

My question stands.

Earthquake Enyart
05-27-2003, 10:58 AM
So it is easier to score TD's against 6+ DB's when you are behind?

When the pass rushers know they don't have to worry about the run?

:huh:

WG
05-27-2003, 11:14 AM
Vs. a spread zone w/ 3 men rushing the passer essentially giving the QB all day?

Yeah, I'd say it isn't too difficult to put up at least a few. By the way you put forth your argument, it appears that most of JP's TDs went passing was in the fourth. Well at 1 big TD per game, he either was completely ineffective through the first 3 in each game or he couldn't do much given all the time in the world to throw then, eh.

Anyway, this argument is taking one of those turns that defies all common sense, logic, reasoning and wisdom about NFL football and the passing game. I'm sure that all the arguments that don't apply to JP do to Griese.

All I know is that if there's another QB who cannot even toss more TDs than INTs who got a contract w/ $13M guaranteed and an avg. of ~ $7M/year, please let me know.

As well, suppose I acquiesse to your argument simply for the sake of yielding the benefit of the doubt. How many QBs do you know who put up tons of INTs v. prevent Ds?

Certainly no good ones. Every one who covers football discounts Prevent-D yards and TDs for those very reasons. They're easier to come by.

No need to argue further, but let's just say that Blake's got far better overall numbers and performance measures than Plummer and he's rarely had half of the receiving targets that Plummer's had.

WG
05-27-2003, 11:19 AM
Blake:

56.3%
6.8 YPA
1.4 TD/INT ratio
4.2% TD
2.9% INT

Plummer

56.0%
6.4 YPA
.79 TD/INT ratio
3.3% TD
4.1% INT

According to most here, Blake blows. Either way, he sure as heck isn't getting paid much more than minimum.

Earthquake Enyart
05-27-2003, 11:20 AM
Wow. Blind side me with Blake. That's a low blow.

You couldn't have picked two more different teams. (getting back to Plummer vs. Fiedler). You think Fiedler would do better on the Cards than Jake? Really?

Really we are beating to death a pair of garbage cans.

WG
05-27-2003, 11:25 AM
I don't think it's too difficult get more than 17 TDs w/ Rob Moore, Frank Sanders, and Eric Metcalf on your team. Especially when you put up 20 INTs in contrast.

I also don't think it's too downright difficult to put up 9 TDs to 24 INTs w/ Sanders, Moore, and David Boston on your team, eh.

I certainly see no reason for 24 INTs in spite of all that, in only 12 games BTW. At least Blake had what, Pickens only in a good year and often not even that. Heck, he didn't put up as many INTs as Plummer does last year in Baltimore.

Plummer is a garbage can, Blake is what he is. Not horrible, not good. Average. He never had a great team to show what he could do. Doesn't make near the errors that some other QBs that we know make however. ;)

THATHURMANATOR
05-27-2003, 11:27 AM
How bout this.

Fiedler and Plummer Blow!!!

Dozerdog
05-27-2003, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
Wow. Blind side me with Blake. That's a low blow.

You couldn't have picked two more different teams. (getting back to Plummer vs. Fiedler). You think Fiedler would do better on the Cards than Jake? Really?

Really we are beating to death a pair of garbage cans. Well, that depends-

Rubbermaid garbage cans perform much better than Aluminum or steel garbage cans. Sure, the Rubbermaid may crack in colder temperatures, but they are dent and rust resistant.

Rubbermaid-
Used by 56% of the population,
45% In cold climates
Preferred by 61% of all garbage men

But in some of the wealthier towns, they have been nullified by Town issued trash cans, you know... the ones with the wheels ?

Aluminum/Steel-
46% market penetration
33% longer life
12% less capacity than rubbermaid
33% more expensive

So you're nuts if you think you can win a championship with Aluminum garbage cans

http://www.thomasopenhouse.com/art/trash1.jpg vs. http://www.cityofseattle.net/util/services/images/g_cans.gif

Earthquake Enyart
05-27-2003, 11:29 AM
You mention everyone and their brother, and don't say a peep about how horrible the Cards OL is.

If either of your boys had to play "chuck and duck" with that crew, their numbers certainly wouldn't be any better.

Your other boy, Chandler, wouldn't make 2 games with that bunch with out getting some concussions.

Dozerdog
05-27-2003, 11:32 AM
Moore was injured the past 4 seasons and hasn't produced squat

WG
05-27-2003, 11:39 AM
Yeah, and Boston was a horrible "fill-in" for him. I see! He's such a small target who can't really catch and is tremendously overrated. He'll never amount to anything in this league!

It's tough to expect a QB to throw more than 18 TDs w/ guys like Boston, Jenkins, and Sanders as your WRs.

I fully understand.

BillsFanInMass
05-27-2003, 04:56 PM
enough about those 2 bums

BillsOwnAll
05-27-2003, 05:02 PM
overrated is clearly brady ALL he did was screen pass i mean smith and the blockers did all the work he threw that ball 10 feet.

underrated all OL//DL people think there fat and i get mad.

Tatonka
05-27-2003, 05:07 PM
plummer is a homo.. that *** has been horrible for his whole career.. and now i find myself wanting to take him as a back up qb in fantasy football this year.. i just got this wierd feeling that he is gonna be the shiznit...

but up to this point.. he has been absolutely god awful..

TheGhostofJimKelly
05-28-2003, 07:35 AM
MOST OVERRATED BY BILLS FANS: Javon Kearse

R. Rich
05-28-2003, 11:54 AM
It's hard to talk about a Pro Bowler as underrated, but I really feel that Hines Ward is an underrated player. Even though he's put together a couple of outstanding seasons, he's still not mentioned as highly as Terrell Owens, Marvin Harrison, or Randy Moss. That's a shame, because he should be. He's more a complete receiver than ANY of them! Plus, he's fearless and can really lay out defenders when it comes to blocking. I think he's one of the top 3 or 4 WRs in the league right now.

NC-BILLS44
05-29-2003, 08:19 AM
Overrated: Steve McNair
Underrated: Deuce Staley

Ingtar33
05-29-2003, 01:05 PM
Overrated- Brady All he does is throw screens and 7yard slants... once teams realized this last year they flooded the underneath zones and played a one deep coverage. The result was more guys open deep than I’ve ever seen, and Brady misfiring on more deep passes than I’ve ever seen. Until he improves on that long accuracy the Pats offense will have to figure out other ways to move the ball (discover a ground game).
-honorable mention: Jake Plumber, Jeff Garcia, and Brian Greese

Underrated- Woody (C -Pats) their whole offense would come to pieces without this guy's absolutely amazing screen blocking... I've never seen a center so mobile or so good at blocking on the move in my life... and I've certainly never seen an offense built around the blocking of its center before.
-honorable mention: J. Feidler, K. Collins

colin
05-29-2003, 04:03 PM
Pat Williams is the most underrated.

He does not even get props for being underrated by Bills fans.

BIG PAT!!!

BillsFanInMass
05-29-2003, 06:54 PM
yes brady is very overated

Kelly The Dog
05-30-2003, 06:13 PM
Plummer has never really had a running game, never had an offensive line, never had a good TE, never had good coaching on offense, never had an injury free offensive team, never had a good organization, and all those good receivers always got hurt. I watched him in a lot of games as I lived in phx for 11 years. I think he's gong to be a very good quarterback on the Broncos, and he's the kind of player that doesnt wow you with stats, so of course you wouldnt like him.

XNOUGHT
05-31-2003, 10:37 AM
I love hearin about my man Tom Brady :jump: :jump:

6th in passes
top in TD passes
near bottom in INT's

He didn't go to the Pro-Bowl. I say he is underrated.

hey
05-31-2003, 05:39 PM
overated warren sapp

underrated ken dorsey

HenryRules
05-31-2003, 05:45 PM
I think when Plummer came out, he was very overrated ... now, I don't know if there are that many people out there that think he's even an average starting QB. I think he'll do well in Denver, but more because of Shanahan's skills than because of Plummer's ability.