• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BillsWin
    man amongst boys
    • Oct 2008

Why does Trent get a pass?

I read a post in another thread, several actually, that said that Trent is still learning.

That is complete and utter and you know it.

Why does Trent get over three seasons in this league to "learn" but rookies have come in over the past few years and brought their teams to the playoffs?

Why does Trent get a pass like that? Why do we keep saying "oh, he is still learning." or "he is still progressing."

He's a Stanford man. Why is his learning curve so steep?

Now, I am not an Edwards hater. In fact, I want him to bring this team to the playoffs and succeed because Jauron sure as hell won't do it. I don't want him to fail! Hell, Im not even that mad about the loss.

I'm just wondering why we keep making excuses for Edwards like this when players younger to the league and with less "intelligence" and experience than Edwards have come in and been successful.

I'd love nothing better than for him to light it up for the rest of the year, but stop saying he is still learning because he should know enough by now to go out and win some football games.

Message to Trent,
    Cowboy up kid. You have a young o-line that will have growing pains, and you have mediocre and even awful coaching. However you have a plethora of weapons 25+ starting QBs in this league would give anything for. You shouldn't have to have people make excuses for you. You have plenty of athletic skill and intelligence to be a starter in this league. Its make or break for you because there are some good QBs coming up in this year's draft and I guarantee you the Bills would lover their very own Matt Ryan or Joe Flacco or Big Ben etc. etc. etc.

So suck it up and get your act together and let your play do the talking because Jauron's number is not the only one that is almost up.

Message to fans who think he needs more time,

Quit making excuses for him. He needs to let his play do the talking.

Now, his play this year hasn't been awful at all. In fact I think he has made SOME improvements to his game, but he still has a way to go and time is up.
    I am The Batman.
  • SeatownBillsFan21
    • Mar 2004

Re: Why does Trent get a pass?

I dont know if i like him in the no huddle

Comment

• BillsWin
      man amongst boys
      • Oct 2008

Originally posted by SeatownBillsFan21
      I dont know if i like him in the no huddle
      Me neither which is odd because it is a scheme that plays to his strengths. accuracy and intelligence.
      I am The Batman.

Comment

• Oaf
        Do you read what you write?
        • Jun 2007

Because he's played like a winner more often than not (this season, 2 out of 3) and that's more than most of the team, most of our staff, and our last quarterback can say.

That's why.

Comment

• Syderick
          • Apr 2006

He may be in his 3rd season but he didn't play 3 full seasons. Sometimes the quarterback position takes time to workout. Many quarterbacks's have taken few season before becoming good quarterbacks. Others of course have failed and become busts. Now I don't know about you, but i'd like a quaterback who continously learns (like many people have to continously learn at their jobs) then one that doesn't. Trent Edwards is learning a new offense with a new co-ordinator. Today he had a bad day, and part of it is his fault. Hopefully, he learns from it, and is better prepared next time.
          3,000,000th post on BZ!

Comment

• rcd333
            • Mar 2007

look at the quarterback we just played for an example

Comment

• SeatownBillsFan21
              • Mar 2004

Originally posted by BillsWin
              Me neither which is odd because it is a scheme that plays to his strengths. accuracy and intelligence.
              That is way we need to scratch this no huddle thing let him process the things that are going on on the feild hes not a bad QB

Comment

• mysticsoto
                Too sober for this...
                • Apr 2004

I'm with BillsWin on this one. This game was lost b'cse of Trent. It may sound harsh, but the offense was shut out and Lee and TO were barely thrown at. FJ could not carry the load on his own today and Trent's dink and dunks got us nowhere. There were penalties and bad plays here and there, but overall, the O could not do anything and the leader of the O has to take the blame.

Comment

• xXSpIkes5IXx
                  • Mar 2006

Originally posted by mysticsoto
                  I'm with BillsWin on this one. This game was lost b'cse of Trent. It may sound harsh, but the offense was shut out and Lee and TO were barely thrown at. FJ could not carry the load on his own today and Trent's dink and dunks got us nowhere. There were penalties and bad plays here and there, but overall, the O could not do anything and the leader of the O has to take the blame.
                  I have to somewhat disagree.

The saints were getting enormous pressure up the middle with 3 and 4 man fronts. Trent was rarely able to step up in the pocket all game. So he did what any intelligent football player would do, get the ball out quickly to avoid getting sacked.

However, he had some chances to make plays and really swing momentum our way that he just whiffed on. The play that comes to mind is the sideline route to TO who had clearly beaten his man. As the leader of the offense unit he must be accountable for the success or failure of his unit, and good QB's, ex Roethlisberger, find ways to win despite a bad day by your line.

Heres to a better game next week.

Comment

• mysticsoto
                    Too sober for this...
                    • Apr 2004

Originally posted by xXSpIkes5IXx
                    I have to somewhat disagree.

The saints were getting enormous pressure up the middle with 3 and 4 man fronts. Trent was rarely able to step up in the pocket all game. So he did what any intelligent football player would do, get the ball out quickly to avoid getting sacked.

However, he had some chances to make plays and really swing momentum our way that he just whiffed on. The play that comes to mind is the sideline route to TO who had clearly beaten his man. As the leader of the offense unit he must be accountable for the success or failure of his unit, and good QB's, ex Roethlisberger, find ways to win despite a bad day by your line.

Heres to a better game next week.
                    The Oline was far from stellar, you're right. But if that were the case, then maybe he should have gone to a shotgun formation to give himself more time. Also, on the interception, he clearly tried to force it into TO's hands in the middle when TO was well covered on that play.

I thought he was doing well in the last 2 games, dictating to defenses, but this game he seemed to regress and instead try and take what the defense wanted him to take.

Maybe I am being harsh on him, but I still feel it was mostly his fault (alongside the coaching/game plan for the offense) we lost this game.

The D on the other hand gets stellar marks for keeping the game so close thru 3.5 qtrs despite being banged up and hobbled at CB.

Comment

• yordad
                      • Dec 2007

I think Trent is too worried about his rating. I honestly do. Seems he will do anything to not throw a pick. Even refuse to throw hail marys.
                      "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• BillsWin
                        man amongst boys
                        • Oct 2008

Originally posted by yordad
                        I think Trent is too worried about his rating. I honestly do. Seems he will do anything to not throw a pick. Even refuse to throw hail marys.
                        and then he throws a pick while trying not to throw a pick.
                        I am The Batman.

Comment

• yordad
                          • Dec 2007

Originally posted by BillsWin
                          and then he throws a pick while trying not to throw a pick.
                          Out of hesitation.
                          "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• JediMindPowers
                            • Jan 2009

Originally posted by mysticsoto
                            Actually, yes he could have.

The coaches didn't want to give him the ball. I have no idea why. He was getting good yards all game.

It's almost as if they didn't want to give Jackson the ball because...well, I don't know why.

The fact is, the offense of the prior two weeks revolved around Jackson. This week, who knows what the hell the coaches were doing.

The Bills coaches decided to get cute and forget that Jackson was the engine behind our offense since the beginning of the season.

Comment

• Buffalogic
                              Rumblin' Stumblin' Bumblin'
                              • Feb 2006

Trent somewhat gets a pass because the penalties put him in awful situations. 1st and 20, 3rd and 20. Come on. He was busy picking himself off the turf.

I agree about the playcalling. First two weeks it was good, we had a balanced attack and ran the ball a lot and ran it well.

This week we got into pass happy mode which is really weird to me because the saints weren't scoring either. If you both aren't going to score at least keep the ball and keep your defense fresh.

Oh and wtf was up with Hangartner's snaps? Those were pitiful. Trent had to pick three straight snaps off the ground. It was happening all game.

Trent's biggest error was the overthrow to T.O. That really hurt us. Crucial moment of the game and if he makes that throw we go up four late in the second half.
                              Last edited by Buffalogic; 09-28-2009, 01:49 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X