PDA

View Full Version : Was this guy drinking? Bills Overview on ESPN

Dozerdog
05-26-2003, 06:28 PM
ESPN Bills season preview (http://espn.go.com/nfl/overview/bills2003.html)

Buffalo missed the postseason in large part because of a porous defense. The Bills were 11th in scoring offense (23.7 points per game), but allowed 24.8 per contest. They sought improvement by signing linebackers Takeo Spikes and Jeff Posey, and drafting Angelo Crowell. Next, they brought in defensive tackle Sam Adams, who won a Super Bowl with Baltimore in 2000 and got there last season with Oakland, and used their second-round pick on end Chris Kelsay. They also added depth to the secondary by acquiring safety Izell Reese, cornerback Dainon Sidney and drafting corner Terrence Kiel.

On offense, McGahee is the big addition -- sort of. In terms of name recognition, McGahee is the offseason acquisition. Yet, there's a good chance he'll make limited contributions in 2003. For one, he's still rehabbing the knee he severely injured in the Fiesta Bowl. Also, Buffalo signed Olandis Gary as a viable backup to Henry, so there's no rush to put McGahee on the field.

Nice to see they can't even get the draft picks right. And I don't think the loss of Price will impact us as bad as he thinks either.

Clayton's piece was pretty accurate, though!

Mr. Miyagi
05-26-2003, 08:19 PM
Well he also wrote that we drafted a corner named Terrence Kiel, who in reality was drafted by the San Diego Chargers. He meant to say Terrence McGee.

I reported it to ESPN. That moron. :insane:

baalworship
05-26-2003, 09:09 PM
Does anyone remember when these pundits told us that Buffalo was having the best off-season? Peerless Price traded for a draft pick was considered brilliant. Well, we drafted Willis McGahee! Now the sky HAS to be falling on our Buffalo franchise because we drafted Willis McGahee over William Joseph or Chris Kelsay. The ESPN Gods had already spoken at the draft.

IF we had drafted William Joseph at #23 we would be competing for first in the AFC East...But since we drafted a running back that we "don't need" Takeo Spikes, Jeff Posey, Sam Adams, Izell Reese, Keith Mckenzie, Marcus Jones, Chris Kelsay, Dainon Sidney, Campbell, Bobby Shaw, and Sam Gash don't count.

Sounds reasonable.

Schobel94
05-26-2003, 09:12 PM
He says "Reed (514 yds, 2 TDs)" but then "Reed had 11 catches (one for a touchdown) in the first two games, and then just 26 in the final 14 contests and no scores." 2 TD's, but only one score? lol, the dudes a moron, Reed had a TD vs. Denver, god i wish that man shot.

lordofgun
05-26-2003, 09:13 PM
Welcome baalworship! Nicely put.

Dozerdog
05-26-2003, 09:14 PM
Great post! Welcome aboard baalworship!

These "pundits" just regurgitate whatever they hear elsewhwere.

Very few (Like Clayton) can give you a decent breakdown that makes sense.

Tatonka
05-26-2003, 09:22 PM
i really dont think that they ripped us.. they basically stated the truth, which is we play in an incredibly tough division, and it WILL be tough to add 2 more wins.. 10-6 with our schedule is not easy... the division winner could be 9-7 very easily.

all that matters is what happens on the field.

welcome aboard baalworship.. what does your name mean?

baalworship
05-26-2003, 09:22 PM
What's up Dozerdog! Glad to be here. I haven't read the Clayton thing yet. Is it on ESPN yet?

baalworship
05-26-2003, 09:28 PM
Lord of Gun & Tatonka what's up! I have read some of your posts on Finheaven, Tatonka. I am a lurker there at times. Keep those tuna on their toes?!

As for my name: BAAL: Pagan God of Fertility

I originally wanted to start an experimental band with Baalworship as the name. But I gave up on that idea and now use it as my internet alter ego.

Dozerdog
05-26-2003, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by baalworship
What's up Dozerdog! Glad to be here. I haven't read the Clayton thing yet. Is it on ESPN yet?

Clayton did a small piece in the article above. Generally, he's very informative, both on the website and on his TV/Radio appearances.

baalworship
05-26-2003, 09:40 PM
I think Clayton's a reasonable bloke. But why does ESPN always have him and Sean Salisbury get into shouting matches that end with Salisbury making fun of him? Are they trying to do a PTI / Around The Horn thing? Because Clayton looks like he's not enjoying himself when it happens...

Cntrygal
05-26-2003, 10:12 PM
Welcome baalworship!!! :)

(Can I call ya baal for short? ;) )

The Natrix
05-26-2003, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by baalworship
Does anyone remember when these pundits told us that Buffalo was having the best off-season? Peerless Price traded for a draft pick was considered brilliant. Well, we drafted Willis McGahee! Now the sky HAS to be falling on our Buffalo franchise because we drafted Willis McGahee over William Joseph or Chris Kelsay. The ESPN Gods had already spoken at the draft.

IF we had drafted William Joseph at #23 we would be competing for first in the AFC East...But since we drafted a running back that we "don't need" Takeo Spikes, Jeff Posey, Sam Adams, Izell Reese, Keith Mckenzie, Marcus Jones, Chris Kelsay, Dainon Sidney, Campbell, Bobby Shaw, and Sam Gash don't count.

Sounds reasonable.

beautiful post. I like you (as a poster).

Earthquake Enyart
05-27-2003, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by Cntrygal
Welcome baalworship!!! :)

(Can I call ya baal for short? ;) )

:eek:

Can I call you cnt for short? :snicker:

BTW, What does dozerdog mean anyhow?

Cntrygal
05-27-2003, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart

Can I call you cnt for short? :snicker:

And to think I defended you the other day in another thread... (on how nice you are) :shakeno:

Earthquake Enyart
05-27-2003, 07:39 AM
I am a nice guy, I just hide it well. :snicker:

WG
05-27-2003, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
ESPN Bills season preview (http://espn.go.com/nfl/overview/bills2003.html)
Nice to see they can't even get the draft picks right. And I don't think the loss of Price will impact us as bad as he thinks either.

Clayton's piece was pretty accurate, though!

Maybe it's the same thinking (on Price) that says that the reason we were 8-8 was due strictly to Drew coming here last year.

Also, he says that "if the Bills continue to 'score in bunches'...", well, I don't know what games he was watching, but the only games that we scored in bunches were the first 6 games and then the Miami game in the cold. We certainly didn't score in any kinds of "bunches" in games 7-16 overall! Lots of yards perhaps, but certainly not a lot of production, surely not from the O!

I agree w/ a lot of what he says otherwise.

P.S. Where was his error w/ our draft picks?

WG
05-27-2003, 10:24 AM
He's right about McKenzie and Jones being the sum total of any potential improvement in our pass rush.

Our biggest weakness on D last year however was our inability to stop the run. That should be largely fixed w/ Adams addition. However, Adams has never been known as a huge pass rusher and at his weight/size, I'm not holding my breath that he'll be any better than he was last year at rushing the passer.

If Jones doesn't pan out, since McKenzie won't be any more than Ahanotu was, then we shouldn't expect our pass rush to be much better at all barring some other unexpected signing prior to the season starting.

yle
05-27-2003, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Wys Guy

P.S. Where was his error w/ our draft picks?

He said Terrance Kiel, instead of Terrence McGee.

I think he was pretty accurate, especially about the difficulty of schedule. Though it's too early to tell what teams will be like, it is easy to argue that on paper, the Bills have gotten better (or at least no worse), but so has everyone else in our division.

Dozerdog
05-27-2003, 11:46 AM
He also mentions Sobieski as a 4th round pick in the article.

WG
05-27-2003, 02:02 PM
Well, either way, I think on paper, we're a LOT better than many think.

I'd rate us first or darned near it. For the couple of weaknesses that we have, namely the lack of a decent DE at the moment, and then STs, Miami, N.E., and every other team has at least an issue or two.

The problem w/ us is that we have no depth in certain areas. OL, WR, LB. So if we were guaranteed no injuries, I'd say we're clearly near the top. But we know that won't happen so the question becomes where will they occur?

We're one OL injury away from disaster IMO. If Teague, Sullivan, or Brown gets hurt, we're hosed w/o Conaty. I haven't got enough faith in Pucillo or Sobieski, two young players who have zilch NFL experience playing. I have no faith that they could sustain us through the playoffs. Conaty has at least played a full season and very well IMO. I don't understand the lack of interest in him by other teams.

So more than any other year, this is gonna be a season of "ifs."

If Posey is as good as advertised and not another Robinson.
If we find a DE.
If Adams is still good.
If we have no or limited OL injuries.
If Moulds or Reed doesn't get hurt.
If our Ss step up.
If Drew doesn't play Santa Claus against the East and the tougher teams.
If Gilbride really changes his ways.

It's a lot of ifs, that I think can work out. But when you add them all up, I suppose the odds are that they won't all work out in a combination that allows us to be the best in the AFC.

The first 4 games are going to be critical this season. Pats, Miami, and Philly are among them. If we start 1-3 we can kiss the division good bye and perhaps even the playoffs. We need to be 3-1. We also need to be at least .500 in the division this season. 2-4 again won't cut it. 4-2 is preferable.

But the test will be for the home opener. If we can't beat the Pats in Buffalo, then we can't beat them in N.E. either. As well, if we can't beat the Pats, we won't beat the Eagles. So as I see it, we need to start 2-0.

Bert102176
05-27-2003, 09:23 PM
Berman is the best on ESPN though he's awesome you all think he'll pick the Bills, and 49ers in the superbowl again. Gotta luv that guy.