PDA

View Full Version : Pat, Press Question for you

trapezeus
09-28-2009, 12:49 PM
i realize there are politics to questions that Reporters can or can not ask. So you probably aren'tin a position to ask this question with your site just starting up...but why aren't the seasoned reporters for channel 2 or 7 getting in Jauron's face with the questions?

Why does he get away with deadly press conferences like this? Why isn't an Ed Kilgore saying, "In all respect, Dick, we hear you say the same thing about every loss, and the games look fairly the same. Why aren't these teams getting any better? Other teams have injuries...other teams don't have allstars in every position. Hell the patriots won their superbowls without the talent and lost when they got the talent. You've fired 2 oc's and still get the same exact results. When is this a function of your coaching."

In my opinion, they are letting him get away with these softball answers? Can't the writers get to him to take some responsibility and stop just giving standard answers?

justasportsfan
09-28-2009, 12:50 PM
Dick is a nice guy. He wins popularity contest even with the press.

patmoran2006
09-28-2009, 12:59 PM
A few quick things..

* Some people aren't so easy.. Paul Hamilton (WGR) asks tough questions, so does Jerry Sullivan.

* Media generally does like Jauron, and likes this access. While Im not experienced as most these guys, I do know that a very uncooperative coach makes for a hard time getting quotes and stories.

* Alot of the media has a very good relationshp with Scott Berchtold. The Bills are like a mom and pop franchise compared to most the league. Their PR office works VERY HARD on keeping media people happy.. In some cases, it doesnt work (Sullivan, Hamilton). .in many others, it does. If nothign else, they at least keep the lions off him during press conferences.

trapezeus
09-28-2009, 01:07 PM
thanks pat. That makes sense.

in new york, you see the press just eat up even mildly successful teams. Be 9-7 and not make the playoffs, they will get you to resign.

I'd just love to see a serious question like, "you are the constant Dick. We are changing everything from players to coordinators. Yet we get the same performances. Do you really think there is some change coming for your week in and week out game plans in the next 3 years? The fans don't see it. We like you and all, but we are listening to the same conversation for 20 of th 50 games you've coached.

patmoran2006
09-28-2009, 01:18 PM
would love to be able to ask REALLY tough questions at press conferences.
However, I cant. .Im web based media.. I am very VERY fortunate to get any access to media team stuff-- I can't even get gameday credentials through myself, I have to go through a colleague and go representing another publication.

RockStar36
09-28-2009, 01:20 PM
The Bills get away with so much it's sickening at times.

The Sabres miss the playoffs two years in a row and are beat to death. The Bills miss them for an entire decade and we still love them all the same.

It really makes no sense.

trapezeus
09-28-2009, 01:21 PM
yeah, i understand your situation. But a kilgore or someone has to ask the question that we are begging to ask.

You even see Jim Kelly essentially say that he thinks these guys are playing for their jobs. You know that's kelly's way of saying, "this team still sucks."

I really would love to know if the FO is sitting there calculating when to fire jauron and who the next hire is. If they botch this next decision up with a new hire, they can kiss next year's season ticket sales goodbye.

bigbub2352
09-28-2009, 01:29 PM
Its the fear that RW installed in the minds of the media and fanbase that we are a breath away form losing the franchise
so now everyone has a huge boner for the bills who can suddenly do no wrong
RW and Russ are genious in what they did same goes for Quinn and Golisano put out a mediocre product and cause the fans love them so much and no what will happen if either team moves we will support them to our death
sad

clumping platelets
09-28-2009, 01:45 PM
Clump the Reporter: Dickhead....why are you such a wimp as a coach? I'll qualify that statement by asking why would you punt when it's 4th and less than 1 yd and also 10 pts down to a powerful offensive team with between 7-8 mins left? Why not be a man and try to keep the ball and try to score points? Newsflash, you need to score MORE than the other team to win the game

trapezeus
09-28-2009, 01:49 PM
bigbub, that is a huge problem. and the NFL lets them play that game. they could just step in and say, "look, WNY is one of our most loyal TV audiences. The team operates in the black. they have a different model without the suites and such, but they turn a profit and they regionalized just like the patriots. They'll be here for along time to come." Instead they stoke the fires because its in their self interest.

Move them...watch UB football take off. Bring in a UFL team. That league could be positioned to take off if the NFL is ****y enough to go on a hiatus in 2011.

patmoran2006
09-28-2009, 01:50 PM
yeah, i understand your situation. But a kilgore or someone has to ask the question that we are begging to ask.

You even see Jim Kelly essentially say that he thinks these guys are playing for their jobs. You know that's kelly's way of saying, "this team still sucks."

I really would love to know if the FO is sitting there calculating when to fire jauron and who the next hire is. If they botch this next decision up with a new hire, they can kiss next year's season ticket sales goodbye.

this is why I respect Jerry Sullivan so much, even tho a lot of people hate him

he bashes the **** out of the Bills, and yet he's one of the few columnist that shows their face to the teams.. many writers/columnists/bloggers/whatever bash and then say nothing when the players are around them for questioning

trapezeus
09-28-2009, 01:52 PM
Sullivan is great. he seems to have a decent relationship with ralph, but still rags on him when it's due.

I think people hate hearing from him because he says what is true and the bills do nothing to change it. so it sounds like he is endless complaining when it's really the bills lacking the ability to change anything.

I would love to know if the FO is seriously thinking about pulling the plug on jauron at the end of theyear.

bigbub2352
09-28-2009, 01:54 PM
bigbub, that is a huge problem. and the NFL lets them play that game. they could just step in and say, "look, WNY is one of our most loyal TV audiences. The team operates in the black. they have a different model without the suites and such, but they turn a profit and they regionalized just like the patriots. They'll be here for along time to come." Instead they stoke the fires because its in their self interest.

Move them...watch UB football take off. Bring in a UFL team. That league could be positioned to take off if the NFL is ****y enough to go on a hiatus in 2011.
Couldnt agree more
its a joke
hence why i am on here with all my neagtivety, i go to the games im a huge fan and i played alot of real ball in my life and i cant stand it
seriously so sad what we are going thru as a fan base

bigbub2352
09-28-2009, 01:55 PM
this is why I respect Jerry Sullivan so much, even tho a lot of people hate him

he bashes the **** out of the Bills, and yet he's one of the few columnist that shows their face to the teams.. many writers/columnists/bloggers/whatever bash and then say nothing when the players are around them for questioning
Sullivan is the best beat writer we got for the Bills and i think Gleason is usually dead on with his sabres assessment
they know what they are talking about and get bashed by homers
but yet we keep losing not making the playoffs getting embarressed on national TV
so who is wrong then?

trapezeus
09-28-2009, 01:59 PM
bigbub, it's only started...wait for this season to play out...i really think we are going to be lucky to go 5-11. And regardless of draft position, we know we have a terrible FO.

The bills need to change their thinking and their model. They still go under the 90's idea of getting the talent and getting a mid level coach. Levy was great and all, but he got outcoached in all four superbowls. talent took us there.

Now we are still taking midlevel coaching, but we fired incredibly talented scouts like polian, butler and AJ smith...all three (RIP butler) put winners together on their new teams, within 2 years. We are on 10 years now. Nothing.

RockStar36
09-28-2009, 03:11 PM

Ticket sales were supposed to drop this year until they signed T.O.

Honestly, the Bills realized it and signed the guy and almost all the fans completely bought into it. More ticket sales, jersey sales, and the whole deal.

I support the guy because he is a Bill, but really it's kinda sad how people bought into that so easily.

trapezeus
09-28-2009, 05:00 PM
exactly my point rockstar....

I think the FO knows that they don't need to make a change this year. No matter how poorly Jauron and Co do, they made the full amount they could take in. Why pay $3MM to jauron plus more to another guy. Make this guy's life a living hell and have him resign. Have him walk away from teh $6MM he has left. And if not, eat the $6MM and hire a new coach right after the superbowl to get everyone interested all over again.

But from a "let's win now" standpoint, shouldn't they fire jauron now? Respect the players and say, "you guys are risking injury for a losing cause. We're getting you guys a dude who'll take care of you. Trust us." and then get a gruden or cowher and say, "look, we expect nothing this year but scouting this team. you tell us what you can work with and then we'll hit the FA and draft together."

two different ways of running a team.