PDA

View Full Version : McKelvin likely done, Whitner surgery

patmoran2006
09-28-2009, 12:53 PM
http://www.buffalosportsdaily.com/2009/09/whitner-mckelvin-suffered-serious-injuries/

Also-- got a peice to do on Jarius Byrd...

And news about Justin Jenkins coming.

THATHURMANATOR
09-28-2009, 12:55 PM
My god WTF is with all these injuries every year?

ddaryl
09-28-2009, 12:56 PM
Wow looks like will be draftring DB's again next year

Florence did play well...

the injuries on this club are outta hand.

Nighthawk
09-28-2009, 12:57 PM

They always seem to be on the defensive side of the ball...could it be that the "bend, but don't break" defense keeps guys on the field longer and thus, presents more opportunities for injury? I'm not sure, but there may be a connection.

feldspar
09-28-2009, 01:16 PM
They always seem to be on the defensive side of the ball...could it be that the "bend, but don't break" defense keeps guys on the field longer and thus, presents more opportunities for injury? I'm not sure, but there may be a connection.

I doubt there is a real connection there. The defense has been on the field for less than 4 minutes more than the offense per game. That doesn't break bones.

The Bills seemed to get hurt a lot more than other teams when they inexplicably fired Rusty Jones, who was the strength and conditioning coordinator for 20 years.

We have two guys on offense on injured reserve, too: Brad Butler and Derek Schouman.

trapezeus
09-28-2009, 01:17 PM
other teams have injuries, other teams know how to make adjustments. Jauron is very George W. He has one way he wants to get it done and if it doesn't work, just keep jabbing away at that round hole with the square peg.

patmoran2006
09-28-2009, 01:19 PM
I will say this, and I think this comes with job security worries (Jauron)

but he's using injuries as an excuse when speaking this year alot more than years past.

THATHURMANATOR
09-28-2009, 01:20 PM
You are probably on to something.

zone
09-28-2009, 01:23 PM
With McKelvin out they better move McGee back into his kick returner role.

bigbub2352
09-28-2009, 01:23 PM
the reasons our Injuries seem ever year in my opinion is DJ runs a very soft camp and these guys dont get the body into game shape
to much helmets and shorts practices
also this effects the true talent evaluation as well as the fact is usually the same guys getting hurt every year
Poz whitner Butler etc,
add all that up and keeping guys on the roster who cant play there natural position but can play ST ala Corto Wilson Wendling Jenkins etc
you then run into depth issues which guess what we have had for the better part of the DJ campaign as well
this team is a joke run horrible wrong and we the fans suffer

kelly2reed4six
09-28-2009, 01:25 PM
You can never completely control injuries, but the fact that our defense gets worn down because of a lack of offense certainly doesn't help. The longer you are on the field, the more likely you are to be injured. I'm sure some of it comes down to technique as well. Perhaps we're just that unlucky, but then again if the coach teaches ****ty tackling technique, that could greatly increase the odds of an injury on any given play. Not pointing the finger, just saying could be.

I honestly think this is the most depressing week ever!

trapezeus
09-28-2009, 02:08 PM
defense takes injuries cause they are out there longer.

It's like that old ski adage. You usually get hurt on that "one last run". You're mind is tired, you're body is tired and you're trying to just finish. You lose some focus and that's when you get hurt.

If our team had more balanced TOP and didn't rely solely on one aspect of the team, the injuries would go down.

Italian Stallion
09-28-2009, 02:40 PM
These amount of injuries have EVERYTHING to do with the PUSSY training camp that Jauron runs.

Hate to beat a deader than dead horse on this topic, but only 1 or 2 two-a-days and light or no hitting at all and no scrimmage is what casues this. These players bodies aren't ready for contact...and I dont' want to hear the agrument of 5 preaseason games this year...most of these starters didnt even see the field as much as they should have during this preseason.

Yeah the guys are obviously in shape and great athletes, but if you all of a sudden shock your body with extreme contact...this is obviously what happens

Again ...another problem that starts with Jauron. Weird.

HHURRICANE
09-28-2009, 02:46 PM

It's just bad luck since Rusty left. No coincidence or anything like that.

Ebenezer
09-28-2009, 02:46 PM
These amount of injuries have EVERYTHING to do with the PUSSY training camp that Jauron runs.

Hate to beat a deader than dead horse on this topic, but only 1 or 2 two-a-days and light or no hitting at all and no scrimmage is what casues this. These players bodies aren't ready for contact...and I dont' want to hear the agrument of 5 preaseason games this year...most of these starters didnt even see the field as much as they should have during this preseason.

Yeah the guys are obviously in shape and great athletes, but if you all of a sudden shock your body with extreme contact...this is obviously what happens

Again ...another problem that starts with Jauron. Weird.
completely incorrect.

HHURRICANE
09-28-2009, 02:50 PM
I love how I start a thread about injuries and get roasted and now everyone is on the it's "more than a coincidence" bandwagon.

Again, where there is smoke there is fire.

This team finishes 7-9 three years in a row, we build and rebuild, we get numerous injuries, and we do nothing to fix anything. It's a trend boys!!!

Dr. Lecter
09-28-2009, 02:50 PM
How are broken bones related to light practices?

Anybody able to explain it from a medical/scientific standpoint?

mchurchfie
09-28-2009, 02:52 PM
That's what you get when you have a SMALL and quick defense.

Ebenezer
09-28-2009, 02:52 PM

hey, he has relatives who are doctors who have told him....

maybe those relatives just agree to shut him up from his incessant rantings...

there is no way to prepare the human knee to withstand the force of a 300 pound human falling on it.

there is no way to prepare the human shoulder from dislocating when you fall on it untouched.

there is no way to prepare the human ankle to not stick to astroturf and blow out your knee.

it's just the same old same old complaints from people

Ebenezer
09-28-2009, 02:53 PM
That's what you get when you have a SMALL and quick defense.
no...size has nothing to do with it...this is what you get when you have an undertalented defense who are trying to do things that they are not able to do mentally or physically. and there are injuries to some pretty big guys on offense.

Meathead
09-28-2009, 02:56 PM

everyone knows its much safer to practice in full pads with full contact and to exhaustion

duh

mchurchfie
09-28-2009, 02:56 PM
no...size has nothing to do with it...this is what you get when you have an undertalented defense who are trying to do things that they are not able to do mentally or physically. and there are injuries to some pretty big guys on offense.
Please don't tell me that when a 225lb linebacker has a collision with a 300+lb Offensive lineman at full speed that size won't be a factor.

Mr. Pink
09-28-2009, 03:01 PM
Now we can have excuses as to why Donte sucks for the rest of the year!

Sweet!

HHURRICANE
09-28-2009, 03:06 PM
Your body gets conditioned for things as you go. If you expose yourself to below freezing temperatures over time your body can resist it longere and longer.

This idea that you can't be conditioned to absorb more force is ridiculous.

Blame it on the light camp, the conditioning, whatever, but their is a pattern here.

Ebenezer
09-28-2009, 03:08 PM
Please don't tell me that when a 225lb linebacker has a collision with a 300+lb Offensive lineman at full speed that size won't be a factor.
last I checked LBs are always that size...your post indicated that our defense was small...as in smaller than other defenses...other than CB that really isn't true...and again, the offensive players that got hurt are quite big and still got hurt...

yes, when something bigger hits something smaller the smaller thing gets hurt...but, Poz was not hit by something bigger, Whitner was not hit by something bigger, McKelvin was not hit by something bigger.....getting where I am going? In some cases you have a set of players who are not good enough and who are undercoached and they are trying to do things that are not able to do.

HHURRICANE
09-28-2009, 03:09 PM
http://www.buffalosportsdaily.com/2009/09/whitner-mckelvin-suffered-serious-injuries/

Also-- got a peice to do on Jarius Byrd...

And news about Justin Jenkins coming.

This is BS. Whitner never would have hurt his finger had he taken his 3 carat ring off before the game.

Ebenezer
09-28-2009, 03:10 PM
Your body gets conditioned for things as you go. If you expose yourself to below freezing temperatures over time your body can resist it longere and longer.

This idea that you can't be conditioned to absorb more force is ridiculous.

Blame it on the light camp, the conditioning, whatever, but their is a pattern here.

You are wrong...just so incredibly wrong. Please teach me. Teach me how you can condition a tendon or a ligament to withstand that much force. Teach me how you can strengthen a bone against getting hit by a helmet. If that were true I should be able to take your arm and keep hitting it with a baseball bat until it became so conditioned that it would never break by being hit by a baseball bat...that, like your posts, makes no sense.

Forward_Lateral
09-28-2009, 03:31 PM
While it sucks that they got hurt, McKelvin has been anything but stellar this season. Florence proved to be a better option, in my opinion, yesterday. As for Whitner, it's a thumb. He better suck it up and play with a cast. I'm tired of watching a team full of pussies. I might sound crass, or ignorant, but he should be able to play with a broken thumb, whether it was surgically repaired or not. It's not like he tackles with his hands anyways, he's more of a hit them with his shoulder and helmet and hope they fall down kind of tackler.

HHURRICANE
09-28-2009, 03:34 PM
You are wrong...just so incredibly wrong. Please teach me. Teach me how you can condition a tendon or a ligament to withstand that much force. Teach me how you can strengthen a bone against getting hit by a helmet. If that were true I should be able to take your arm and keep hitting it with a baseball bat until it became so conditioned that it would never break by being hit by a baseball bat...that, like your posts, makes no sense.

Look,:bad: you need to just trust me on this one.

Italian Stallion
09-28-2009, 04:22 PM
Edited for TOS violations

DraftBoy
09-28-2009, 04:25 PM
Edited for TOS violations

Eb works in the medical field and teaches college classes about anatomy and how the body works. He knows what he is talking about 100%.

trapezeus
09-28-2009, 04:29 PM
i still stand by the fact that the injuries pile up on the defensive side of the ball because they are on the field for longer....and they are exhausted reacting to offensive plays. it makes for twisting stuff and pulling stuff more likely.

Also the percentages of having a person falls on you increases the more times you are on the field.

The coaching related part of the injuries is that he doesn't work with what he does have. Other teams go through this to some degree as well. yet they get adequate depth or work around the backups abilities.

Ebenezer
09-28-2009, 04:48 PM
Look,:bad: you need to just trust me on this one.
sure...I'll do that...as soon as you are ready to condition your arm to withstand the impact of a baseball bat.

TigerJ
09-28-2009, 04:58 PM
Solid content in your article, Pat, but you are in serious need of an editor. The word you want is "ravaged," not "ravished."

jamze132
09-28-2009, 05:30 PM
You can never completely control injuries, but the fact that our defense gets worn down because of a lack of offense certainly doesn't help. The longer you are on the field, the more likely you are to be injured. I'm sure some of it comes down to technique as well. Perhaps we're just that unlucky, but then again if the coach teaches ****ty tackling technique, that could greatly increase the odds of an injury on any given play. Not pointing the finger, just saying could be.

I honestly think this is the most depressing week ever!
Just another reason why I can't wait for Fewell to be gone...

It's a complete joke.