PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Sullivan Should be Fired

IAG
09-28-2009, 08:06 PM
The T.O./Sullivan exchange yesterday was awful. Jerry Sullivan has always been a negative/stir the pot writer. It was obvious Owens did not want to talk, but Sullivan needled him to make him blow so he could get a story.

His editors at the News should at least reprimand him or take him off the Bills beat.

He bring ZERO information to the Bills fan...just consistent complaining about the Bills. We get that enough on this site. ha ha ha!

You make like Sullivan, but for once Owens looked more mature than Sullivan. He should be embarrassed.

X-Era
09-28-2009, 08:09 PM
The T.O./Sullivan exchange yesterday was awful. Jerry Sullivan has always been a negative/stir the pot writer. It was obvious Owens did not want to talk, but Sullivan needled him to make him blow so he could get a story.

His editors at the News should at least reprimand him or take him off the Bills beat.

He bring ZERO information to the Bills fan...just consistent complaining about the Bills. We get that enough on this site. ha ha ha!

You make like Sullivan, but for once Owens looked more mature than Sullivan. He should be embarrassed.

:clap:

Total and complete douche nozzle.

Hes so bad that WGR is happy when he comes on their show. Now that's bad.

Hemlepp53
09-28-2009, 08:09 PM

Agreed 100%. He was a piece of **** and needed to be slapped in the mouth.. TO handled himself well compared to what took place Sunday ... Everyone I hear talking about the Presser was how the writters were taunting TO..

Sullivan is not a BILLS fan... He is a Bellicheat plant...

justasportsfan
09-28-2009, 08:11 PM
If Dick can't get his players fired up, someone else has to.

but TO is a drama queen.

Nighthawk
He actually speaks the mind of many Bills fan, so I disagree he brings nothing to a Bills fan. If it weren't for him, you'd be reading how great a job the Bills were doing and how we all should give Dickey another chance! That being said, I've already gone on record in another thread stating that the Buffalo media acting out of line yesterday and should be ashamed of themselves. It was amateurish and an embarrassment to WNY.

psubills62
Wow people here complaining about Sullivan and WGR huh? Makes me kind of glad I don't live in Buffalo...it would suck to see/hear that stuff that much.

Demon
09-28-2009, 08:12 PM
I usually don't care about things like that but yesterday was pretty bad. He totally tried to get a sound bite from TO and make a name by writing a juicy story.

Mudflap1
09-28-2009, 08:12 PM
I agree the line of questions were very controversial and they were just baiting him the whole time. That being said, just playing Devil's Advocate, perhaps Jerry Sullivan wanted Owens to spout off about how incompetent the coaching staff and organization is so it created a national buzz that would get 'ol Ralph Wilson's attention and motivate him to make wholesale changes?

IAG
09-28-2009, 08:14 PM
I think you are right about being an embarrassment to WNY. It is a great part of the nation, but in small window people see the us Sullivan acts like jack ass.

IAG
09-28-2009, 08:15 PM
Sullivan does not need to have Owens spout off to show how awful the organization is...look at the record. Look at the coaching staff. Look how good people have been run out of the organization.

It is the media's job to report the news NOT make it.

justasportsfan
09-28-2009, 08:17 PM
Sullivan does not need to have Owens spout off to show how awful the organization is...look at the record. Look at the coaching staff. Look how good people have been run out of the organization.

It is the media's job to report the news NOT make it.

nothing wrong with people exposing how bad Dicks team is no matter who we bring in.

Hemlepp53
09-28-2009, 08:17 PM
If it weren't for him, you'd be reading how great a job the Bills were doing and how we all should give Dickey another chance!

Night... I disagree with that piece. He wasnt asking anything that would benifit the Bills or its Fans.... He was looking for an ESPN highlight. He wanted to cause the same BS that everyone talks about in regards to TO. He was an ******* and should be slapped in the mouth. The Pressers are not about making one of the most driven and dedicated to winning person on our roster.

IMO it had nothing to do with news or anything that we as Bills fans didnt already know... he was probing for the one thing we Bills Fans do not want to see happen. We do not need that type of national notice. TO is a guy who wants to win and nothign more. His methods are not the norm and far from helpful to the team. This ass wanted to see disconnect and BS TMZ drama ... Sullivan is a jack ass and what he did was :bs: .. and none of the players should acknowledge his questions going forward...

DMBcrew36
09-28-2009, 09:03 PM
He actually speaks the mind of many Bills fan, so I disagree he brings nothing to a Bills fan. If it weren't for him, you'd be reading how great a job the Bills were doing and how we all should give Dickey another chance! That being said, I've already gone on record in another thread stating that the Buffalo media acting out of line yesterday and should be ashamed of themselves. It was amateurish and an embarrassment to WNY.

Well put.

Philagape
09-28-2009, 09:04 PM
Sullivan is not a BILLS fan.

He's not supposed to be a fan. He's supposed to give his opinion, good or bad.

BertSquirtgum
09-28-2009, 09:07 PM
sullivan has good and bad articles but i heard the presser and he sounded like a huge butthole

Nighthawk
09-28-2009, 09:08 PM
Night... I disagree with that piece. He wasnt asking anything that would benifit the Bills or its Fans.... He was looking for an ESPN highlight. He wanted to cause the same BS that everyone talks about in regards to TO. He was an ******* and should be slapped in the mouth. The Pressers are not about making one of the most driven and dedicated to winning person on our roster.

IMO it had nothing to do with news or anything that we as Bills fans didnt already know... he was probing for the one thing we Bills Fans do not want to see happen. We do not need that type of national notice. TO is a guy who wants to win and nothign more. His methods are not the norm and far from helpful to the team. This ass wanted to see disconnect and BS TMZ drama ... Sullivan is a jack ass and what he did was :bs: .. and none of the players should acknowledge his questions going forward...

Hemm, where did I say I agree with what he did? In fact, just the opposite...I agree he acted like a tool and I've stated it on these boards a few times. Please don't misrepresent my post...I defended him as a writer overall, not how he acted yesterday.

DMBcrew36
09-28-2009, 09:10 PM
He's not supposed to be a fan. He's supposed to give his opinion, good or bad.

And he has stated before that he has no affinity for the Bills or Sabres. He isn't a fan of either team. He covers them because it is his job to do so. It his his job to stay level-headed in viewing them and be critical when he sees reason to be. I'm sure if the Bills were lighting it up, Sullivan would not be writing such venomous articles.

Hemlepp53
09-29-2009, 05:26 AM
Hemm, where did I say I agree with what he did? In fact, just the opposite...I agree he acted like a tool and I've stated it on these boards a few times. Please don't misrepresent my post...I defended him as a writer overall, not how he acted yesterday.

Night... I was not misrepresenting your post at all. My posting was a comment based of the the below statement.

If it weren't for him, you'd be reading how great a job the Bills were doing and how we all should give Dickey another chance!

All i was saying is that what he did had nothing to do with the above. He was attempting to get a sound clip and what he was attempting to do would of damaged the Bills more than the above. I do not misrepresent anything. I speak in a IMO stance everytime.

I just disagreed to that portion of the post....

YardRat
09-29-2009, 05:48 AM
WGR sucks and Sullivan is a tool...can't stand either, don't listen/read to either.

That being said, to a certain extent they are just 'doing their job' and appealing to a certain demographic that buys papers and listens to AM sports talk.

I do have to disagree with DMB slightly,though. Even during the Super Bowl years both GR and Jerry did their best to seek out and emphasize anything negative.

Mr. Pink
09-29-2009, 07:43 AM
Sully isn't negative.

Sully is the one sportswriter in this area who doesn't kiss the ass of every athlete and team in this city.

He tells it like it is and pulls no punches.

Thurmal
09-29-2009, 01:46 PM
I kind of like Sullivan; he tells it like it is.

He's kind of a blowhard, but the reason that all his articles are about how much the Bills suck is b/c they have sucked for a full decade now.

Writing about how incompetent the Bills organization is must be one of the easier jobs in the world, though.

Philagape
09-29-2009, 01:56 PM
Threads like these are exactly why Sullivan gets paid to do what he does. It's all about the hits.
Complain away, and play right into his hands.

IAG
09-29-2009, 02:07 PM
Sullivan gets paid if people buy the Buffalo News, not posting things on the Bills Zone. It is actually the electronic media that is killing newspapers...and oh yeah, they put in garbage nobody wants to pay for when they can get it free on the internet.

The Buffalo News will be like other papers in the next five years...out of business.

BuffaloRanger
09-29-2009, 04:26 PM
I look forward to the day that TO rips on Dick Jauron. He'll be chastised for being "TO" but he'll be right.

I'll give AVP a break for now because he is a rookie that was in no way being groomed for the OC job.

The Bills win in spite of Dick Jauron. Not becuase of him.

Dr. Pepper
09-29-2009, 04:40 PM
wait, wait, wait, wait..... im confused.

T.O. is a grown man, who gets paid $6.5 million dollars for 16 weeks of service, and he can't handle a press conference?

and because of this, Jerry Sullivan is supposed to coddle him, ask vanilla questions, and not stir the pot?

****! THE POT NEEDS TO BE STIRRED!

GOOD JOB JERRY SULLIVAN.

IAG
09-29-2009, 04:47 PM
What about Jerry Sullivan's professionalism?

dmosher12
09-29-2009, 05:35 PM
Sully is entertaining even tho I disagree with him from time to time. He made a fool of himself in the press conference tho.

Typ0
09-29-2009, 07:50 PM
I couldn't believe how pathetic the media was there. It's amazing that TO even speaks to them.

DMBcrew36
09-29-2009, 08:47 PM
I loved listening to Schopp and the Bulldog practically CRYING on the radio this afternoon about how rude and disrespectful TO was to the Buffalo media and how the Buffalo media has been nothing but class.

I wanted to call in and tell them to quit their crying, to stop being little babies, and to get over it.

Romes
09-29-2009, 09:42 PM
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/09000d5d812ff14d/What-they-said-what-they-meant

I have to agree with Mooch and Martz on this one...

Coach Sal
09-29-2009, 11:16 PM
I was embarrassed and ashamed to be a member of the media (albeit in a much different and lower-profile forum), and embarrassed for the Buffalo media in general after listening to what Jerry did.

It's stuff like that that gives the media a bad name and reputation with players and fans.

I thought it was totally unprofessional and out of line.

It's hard enough to get guys to give you straight answers and say what they really feel about things. When stuff like this happens it makes it that much harder because they become even less trusting of everyone who asks questions.

If it was a young kid who didn't know any better it would be one thing, but Sullivan has been around a long time and knows the way it works. He should have been way above all that. He was just looking for a different way to ask the same question in order to get the same result -- create a story. Well, his job is to report the news and give his opinions on the news, not BE the news or CREATE the news. He was trying to CREATE the news.

I don't go nuts either way for his columns. I read them as I do other columnists and think he generally does a good job of presenting his views, whether I agree with him or not. Yeah, he's overly-critical sometimes, but there are others I can read who balance that out. (Everyone should get their news/opinions from different sources in order to get different viewpoints). But I lost some respect for him as a professional journalist after watching that.

Romes
09-30-2009, 12:22 AM
Good post, Sal.

Sullivan sounded like he already had in mind the article he wanted to write. He was just trying to get the right quote for it...

Dr. Lecter
09-30-2009, 06:00 AM
Sully isn't negative.

Sully is the one sportswriter in this area who doesn't kiss the ass of every athlete and team in this city.

He tells it like it is and pulls no punches.
He is the other extreme of the homer. Sometimes he tells it like it is. Other times he reaches to find things to ***** about.

Often he is the trying to stir the pot and playing up to his reputation as somebody negative. He essentially admits it during his chat sessions.

Regardless, his behavior Sunday was inexcusable and is an example of him trying to "stir the pot". Clearly had TO said anything even the slightest bit controversial, Sully would have made a big deal out that. All he was trying to do was make himself part of the story and feed his ego.

elltrain22
09-30-2009, 06:09 AM
It's clear that Sully crossed the line. It was so clear that he was baiting TO, and I don't blame TO for not answering. He's right, the media would've spun to a negative connotation, just like they do w/ everything he says.

I really don't think Sully's actions warrent him losing his job, but he should be reprimanded. Sully is a good journalist, IMO, and he's negative b/c this team, front office, and especially the coach all suck ****!!! I understand and appreciate his honesty. But yesterday was clearly him trying to stir the pot, and he did cross the line.

Jeff1220
10-02-2009, 04:58 PM
Mooch and Martz seem to agree with the sentiments in this thread...
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/09000d5d812ff14d/What-they-said-what-they-meant