• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

I'm starting to think it's Trent

For some reason, this team still can't get the ball to the WR's.

Well, we added an all-pro WR in TO. We completely revamped the OL. We changed offensive coordinators. Now, I realize "change" isn't necessarily "improvement," but the only consistent factor is Edwards. Everything else has changed.

I'm not entirely sure how to diagnose the reasons for his inability to get the ball to the WR's, but something is definitely wrong.

I'm not looking forward to rebuilding with a new coach and new QB next year....
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website
  • DraftBoy
    Administrator
    • Jul 2002

Re: I'm starting to think it's Trent

Welcome to the Club
    COMING SOON...
    Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Nighthawk
      Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
      • Jul 2002

I'm starting to think the guy is as dumb as a box of rocks!

Comment

• OpIv37
        Acid Douching Asswipe
        • Sep 2002

actually- minor correction.

I am looking forward to dumping Jauron- I'm just not looking forward to 2-3 5 win seasons while the new coach figures it out.
        MiKiDo Facebook
        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• M
          • Aug 2006

Is it me or does he look like he's almost afraid to throw the ball?? At some point, he has to trust that his receivers will go get the ball and make a play.
          Let's Go Bills ... B B B B B B Bills!

Comment

• Nighthawk
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by OpIv37
            actually- minor correction.

I am looking forward to dumping Jauron- I'm just not looking forward to 2-3 5 win seasons while the new coach figures it out.
            Good thing you clarified that! Seriously though, this team has some talent, but now it looks like we need a new QB also. That is not what I wanted to see coming into this year!

Comment

• Nighthawk
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by CTBills97
              Is it me or does he look like he's almost afraid to throw the ball?? At some point, he has to trust that his receivers will go get the ball and make a play.
              That's exactly what it looks like to me and you're right, he needs to trust himself to get the ball to the right place and let his WR's make a play.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                • Jul 2002

I think Trent has inherited Dicks play not to lose mentality which is what check downs are . A coach who's got balls will make Trent throw the ball.
                sacrifice1
                https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• psubills62
                  Legendary Zoner
                  • Sep 2008

I'm torn. I don't want to think it's Trent because I feel as though I have seen flashes of what he can do. You could say that we saw the same with Losman, but it really wasn't the same. Losman's good games were really far in between, and usually when Losman wasn't good, he was really, really bad. Whereas Edwards is usually just average.

At this point, you have to look to the coaches. I think both they and Edwards can share some of the blame. I don't think it's coincidence that two QB's showing promise have either regressed or made little progress in their third years under Jauron.

We may never know who is truly at fault, unless another coach gives Edwards a chance. But I'm still really, really hoping that Edwards has the ability to be a starter. I think he may, but it's very shaky at this point.
                  "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
                  - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• Mudflap1
                    Next Question!
                    • Nov 2004

Trent is part of the problem. I believe the bottom line is we have a QB in the vein of Kelly Holcomb, Chad Pennington, Alex Van Pelt, etc. etc. Dumpoff passer. Trent would make a great backup QB. He is smart, he doesn't force the ball, he can score a little, move the chains, doesn't make a ton of turnovers. He's not a dynamic starting QB though. He's just not. It's not that he isn't smart or any of that. It's just the type of player he is. He is not a downfield gunslinger. Just not going to happen I don't think.

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
                      Defies all logic
                      • Oct 2006

Trent has had two pretty solid performances this year, yeah he struggled against a very good team. What's the problem?

Comment

• Meathead
                        Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
                        • Jul 2002

still way too early

right now i would say its more than likely he will be at least a decent caretaker. none of us want to hear that but its more than you can say about most qbs at a similar point in their careers

hes currently sporting two very solid games with one bad (tho not disaster) one. every one of us wants that to be much better but if he can keep that 2-1 ratio up the whole season theres really no reason not to let him play every game hes healthy. thats pretty close to a caretaker kind of ratio and is what i would consider the minimum for him to keep his job

if he goes below that then they likely will be dropping games pretty consistently anyway and pressure will mount to give fitz and the bomber their at bats. and that my friends would likely be rock bottom. maybe
                        One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• Mudflap1
                          Next Question!
                          • Nov 2004

While Trent certainly did not play his best Sunday and I do believe some blame lies on his shoulders, I don't blame him as the principal reason the Bills lost. The offensive line committed a ton of boneheaded penalties and crappy snaps from Hangartner put the offense in really bad positions all day. Trent is not a dynamic QB like Cutler or vintage Favre who is going to run and gun his way out of 2nd and 20 and 3rd and 15 all day long.

That being said, he is a caretaker QB at the end of the day. As we have seen with guys like Chad Pennington, Neil O'Donnell, Mike Tomczak and others over the years, those guys can lead teams to the playoffs, but they need 1) strong defenses; 2) strong running games; 3) strong special teams; and 4) strong coaching staffs in order to get there. Trent may be able to do his part, but I don't think he is good enough to carry more than his weight to compensate for mediocre coaching, average defense, overrated special teams, and, yes, on a good note, a solid running game. He's not Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Donovan McNabb, or anybody like that.

That's where this team is at.
                          Last edited by Mudflap1; 09-28-2009, 11:35 PM.

Comment

• Borosai
                            • Sep 2003

First things first: bring in a winning HC who knows how to run a successful team. At that point, we'll know if Trent is a problem, but at the moment I can't say he is the problem.

Comment

• Prov401
                              President of WADL (Whitner Anti-Defamation League)
                              • Aug 2008

Originally posted by OpIv37
                              For some reason, this team still can't get the ball to the WR's.

Well, we added an all-pro WR in TO. We completely revamped the OL. We changed offensive coordinators. Now, I realize "change" isn't necessarily "improvement," but the only consistent factor is Edwards. Everything else has changed.

I'm not entirely sure how to diagnose the reasons for his inability to get the ball to the WR's, but something is definitely wrong.

I'm not looking forward to rebuilding with a new coach and new QB next year....
                              It's tough to figure out. Steve Smith is double covered, and still manages to get 5-10 catches a game. Everyone knows Randy Moss is getting the ball, yet he is having another great year, and Welker isn't even playing. The whole world knows Matt Schaub is throwing to Andre Johnson, and even he still gets his 2TD 100+YD games. We have 2, not 1, 2 of these top notch recievers on our team. Trent is so tough to read. I feel that he just doesn't trust himself with anything over 10 yards. He plays the QB position scared. You can't. The greats throw a pick every once in a while. Brady, Brees, and Manning all have 2 each. It happens. Trent is scared to make mistakes, and that doesn't cut it in the NFL. There is no way both of our WR's are getting covered this good, and if they are, they must not be good WR's.

I will say this. I think Trent is a top 17 QB in this leauge. However, top 17 isn't top 10, so he is deffinitley a guy who is replaceable. I will also say that I've always thought Lee Evans was overated. I think he is deffinitley a sure handed speedy wide-out. But, he has a tough time getting seperation. Steve Smith and Lee Evans are practically identical in size. Smith works his a** off every route. He's scrappy. Evans is more of a smooth, run the route your told to run reciever. I think a player his size needs to be physical in order to become elite (Smith, Ward).

I feel you on the re-building. However, the right coach won't take long to turn this team around. I do think we have talent, and will add more in next year's draft/free agency, for our new coach to work with. We just need to choose the right guy. I have a feeling, even with the great free agent coaches out there today, that Buffalo will find a way to hire a Herm Edwards, or give Brian Schottenheimer a shot. Though recently, rookie head coaches have been a common theme in the NFL, Buffalo has had no luck with them. We need to break the bank for an experienced head coach.
                              Last edited by Prov401; 09-29-2009, 01:38 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X