PDA

View Full Version : I'm starting to think it's Trent

OpIv37
09-28-2009, 09:41 PM
For some reason, this team still can't get the ball to the WR's.

Well, we added an all-pro WR in TO. We completely revamped the OL. We changed offensive coordinators. Now, I realize "change" isn't necessarily "improvement," but the only consistent factor is Edwards. Everything else has changed.

I'm not entirely sure how to diagnose the reasons for his inability to get the ball to the WR's, but something is definitely wrong.

I'm not looking forward to rebuilding with a new coach and new QB next year....

DraftBoy
09-28-2009, 09:44 PM
Welcome to the Club

Nighthawk
09-28-2009, 09:44 PM
I'm starting to think the guy is as dumb as a box of rocks!

OpIv37
09-28-2009, 09:45 PM
actually- minor correction.

I am looking forward to dumping Jauron- I'm just not looking forward to 2-3 5 win seasons while the new coach figures it out.

M
09-28-2009, 09:45 PM
Is it me or does he look like he's almost afraid to throw the ball?? At some point, he has to trust that his receivers will go get the ball and make a play.

Nighthawk
09-28-2009, 09:46 PM
actually- minor correction.

I am looking forward to dumping Jauron- I'm just not looking forward to 2-3 5 win seasons while the new coach figures it out.

Good thing you clarified that! Seriously though, this team has some talent, but now it looks like we need a new QB also. That is not what I wanted to see coming into this year!

Nighthawk
09-28-2009, 09:47 PM
Is it me or does he look like he's almost afraid to throw the ball?? At some point, he has to trust that his receivers will go get the ball and make a play.

That's exactly what it looks like to me and you're right, he needs to trust himself to get the ball to the right place and let his WR's make a play.

justasportsfan
09-28-2009, 09:56 PM
I think Trent has inherited Dicks play not to lose mentality which is what check downs are . A coach who's got balls will make Trent throw the ball.

psubills62
09-28-2009, 10:08 PM
I'm torn. I don't want to think it's Trent because I feel as though I have seen flashes of what he can do. You could say that we saw the same with Losman, but it really wasn't the same. Losman's good games were really far in between, and usually when Losman wasn't good, he was really, really bad. Whereas Edwards is usually just average.

At this point, you have to look to the coaches. I think both they and Edwards can share some of the blame. I don't think it's coincidence that two QB's showing promise have either regressed or made little progress in their third years under Jauron.

We may never know who is truly at fault, unless another coach gives Edwards a chance. But I'm still really, really hoping that Edwards has the ability to be a starter. I think he may, but it's very shaky at this point.

Mudflap1
09-28-2009, 10:52 PM
Trent is part of the problem. I believe the bottom line is we have a QB in the vein of Kelly Holcomb, Chad Pennington, Alex Van Pelt, etc. etc. Dumpoff passer. Trent would make a great backup QB. He is smart, he doesn't force the ball, he can score a little, move the chains, doesn't make a ton of turnovers. He's not a dynamic starting QB though. He's just not. It's not that he isn't smart or any of that. It's just the type of player he is. He is not a downfield gunslinger. Just not going to happen I don't think.

PECKERWOOD
09-28-2009, 11:02 PM
Trent has had two pretty solid performances this year, yeah he struggled against a very good team. What's the problem?

Meathead
09-28-2009, 11:20 PM
still way too early

right now i would say its more than likely he will be at least a decent caretaker. none of us want to hear that but its more than you can say about most qbs at a similar point in their careers

hes currently sporting two very solid games with one bad (tho not disaster) one. every one of us wants that to be much better but if he can keep that 2-1 ratio up the whole season theres really no reason not to let him play every game hes healthy. thats pretty close to a caretaker kind of ratio and is what i would consider the minimum for him to keep his job

if he goes below that then they likely will be dropping games pretty consistently anyway and pressure will mount to give fitz and the bomber their at bats. and that my friends would likely be rock bottom. maybe

Mudflap1
09-28-2009, 11:34 PM
While Trent certainly did not play his best Sunday and I do believe some blame lies on his shoulders, I don't blame him as the principal reason the Bills lost. The offensive line committed a ton of boneheaded penalties and crappy snaps from Hangartner put the offense in really bad positions all day. Trent is not a dynamic QB like Cutler or vintage Favre who is going to run and gun his way out of 2nd and 20 and 3rd and 15 all day long.

That being said, he is a caretaker QB at the end of the day. As we have seen with guys like Chad Pennington, Neil O'Donnell, Mike Tomczak and others over the years, those guys can lead teams to the playoffs, but they need 1) strong defenses; 2) strong running games; 3) strong special teams; and 4) strong coaching staffs in order to get there. Trent may be able to do his part, but I don't think he is good enough to carry more than his weight to compensate for mediocre coaching, average defense, overrated special teams, and, yes, on a good note, a solid running game. He's not Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Donovan McNabb, or anybody like that.

That's where this team is at.

Borosai
09-29-2009, 12:10 AM
First things first: bring in a winning HC who knows how to run a successful team. At that point, we'll know if Trent is a problem, but at the moment I can't say he is the problem.

Prov401
09-29-2009, 01:34 AM

Well, we added an all-pro WR in TO. We completely revamped the OL. We changed offensive coordinators. Now, I realize "change" isn't necessarily "improvement," but the only consistent factor is Edwards. Everything else has changed.

I'm not entirely sure how to diagnose the reasons for his inability to get the ball to the WR's, but something is definitely wrong.

It's tough to figure out. Steve Smith is double covered, and still manages to get 5-10 catches a game. Everyone knows Randy Moss is getting the ball, yet he is having another great year, and Welker isn't even playing. The whole world knows Matt Schaub is throwing to Andre Johnson, and even he still gets his 2TD 100+YD games. We have 2, not 1, 2 of these top notch recievers on our team. Trent is so tough to read. I feel that he just doesn't trust himself with anything over 10 yards. He plays the QB position scared. You can't. The greats throw a pick every once in a while. Brady, Brees, and Manning all have 2 each. It happens. Trent is scared to make mistakes, and that doesn't cut it in the NFL. There is no way both of our WR's are getting covered this good, and if they are, they must not be good WR's.

I will say this. I think Trent is a top 17 QB in this leauge. However, top 17 isn't top 10, so he is deffinitley a guy who is replaceable. I will also say that I've always thought Lee Evans was overated. I think he is deffinitley a sure handed speedy wide-out. But, he has a tough time getting seperation. Steve Smith and Lee Evans are practically identical in size. Smith works his a** off every route. He's scrappy. Evans is more of a smooth, run the route your told to run reciever. I think a player his size needs to be physical in order to become elite (Smith, Ward).

I feel you on the re-building. However, the right coach won't take long to turn this team around. I do think we have talent, and will add more in next year's draft/free agency, for our new coach to work with. We just need to choose the right guy. I have a feeling, even with the great free agent coaches out there today, that Buffalo will find a way to hire a Herm Edwards, or give Brian Schottenheimer a shot. Though recently, rookie head coaches have been a common theme in the NFL, Buffalo has had no luck with them. We need to break the bank for an experienced head coach.

Michael82
09-29-2009, 01:44 AM
I'm so sick of watching Captain Checkdown keep dumping off the passes to the TEs or RBs. I want a QB like Manning, Brees, Rivers or some other QB that knows how to get the ball to his WRs and isn't worried about the occasional INT. I want a QB that will thread the needle and allow his WRs to make the play. I want a QB that isn't scared to throw the ball and doesn't check down immediately at any sign of pressure. As of now...unless something major happens, that is NOT Trent Edwards!

I know a lot of people say that starting over with a rookie QB amounts to a couple losing seasons, but I've seen several rookie QBs prove that wrong lately...guys like Ben Roethlisberger, Philip Rivers, Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco, and now even though I hate to admit it, Mark Sanchez.

jamze132
09-29-2009, 01:50 AM
I think one of the biggest problems is inside Trent's head. He seems to be timid in the pocket, and rightfully so due to the ineptness of our O-line.

I also think that Trent doesn't have confidence in himself or his receivers. He seems to wait UNTIL they are open before chucking the ball to them. In the NFL, you can not do that with the limited windows and throwing lanes available. but this particular problem is not just on Trent. It is also on the coaching staff. They need to break down some serious film and go back to the drawing boards in practice. Maybe Trent and Co. should have played a bit more in the pre-season, but whatever...

The big question to me is can the coaches figure all of this out and implement it against a very hungry Dolphins team?

Marvelous
09-29-2009, 02:43 AM
oops DP..... 256 RAM aint cutting it!! even on my internet/email only pc..

Marvelous
09-29-2009, 02:43 AM
Op, lets see what the feedback is in my "question to the offenses prob/Trent"

-It's easy to think Trent, but we KNOW for a fact that he's a smooth cat in the pocket & we know that he isn't blind. It's not like Bill Walsh is a tard eh..

--WE'LL SEE, WE'LL SEE.....

LondonDrev
09-29-2009, 03:00 AM
Trent is partially to blame, no doubt. We all agree on that. But if his major problem is playing a scared, not wanting to take too many chances, and not being aggressive enough, who does that remind you of???

We don't just have a bad head coach. We have a bad head couch that is holding back our QB from developing an attacking and confident mentality. What if from day one our coach instilled into Trent's mind that he needs to attack the field? Don't worry about field position, don't worry if you throw the ball deep and you turn it over once in a while. Trial by fire.

In every sport, the player is a reflection of his or her coach. Trent is no different.

I'll watch these games and of course I'll cheer for the Bills, but I won't care like I used to until Dick Jauron is gone. It was an essential move to dump him after last season, now it's just absurd.

Night Train
09-29-2009, 03:21 AM
4th & 23 and he throws a dump pass.

That defines him...much like Jauron punting to keep the losing score respectable.

LifetimeBillsFan
09-29-2009, 04:35 AM
While it is still too early to tell for sure, I don't really think that Trent is the problem in the sense that he lacks the ability to be a successful NFL QB. In fact, I think that he can be a very good NFL QB in a West Coast offense--and put up good numbers in such a system.

But, with the right coaching. Which I do not think that he has gotten to this point.

Trent is not a stupid guy. Stupid guys don't get into Stanford. So let's set that idea to rest. If anything, he may be too smart for his own good.

I think that a big part of the problem with Trent is that Trent knows what the percentages of a completion are and is very much aware of the fact that a short pass to an open receiver has a better chance of being completed than a long pass to the first receiver that he looks at first in his progressions who may not have broken open yet. It think he knows that the chances of a turnover are greater if he throws the ball deep or tries to fit it in between defenders than if he dumps the ball off.

I think that Trent also knows that his coaches do not want him to turn the ball over. When Trent came to the Bills and JP Losman was here, no turning the ball over was a point of emphasis with the Bills' coaching staff because of Losman's propensity to take chances and turn the ball over. It was pounded into his head--because it had to be to penetrate Losman's thick skull--not to take chances and turn the ball over. And, while the Bills' coaches may have lightened up a bit on their emphasis on not turning the ball over since Edwards supplanted Losman as the starting QB, I definitely think that it is still there in his mind because it is still something that they emphasize, albeit to a lesser extent.

I think that it has become such a part of Trent's thinking--that he has so completely internalized it--that he is still unwilling to take chances with the ball, even though they say that they want him to take more, because he knows that Jauron is a conservative coach who really doesn't want his QB to turn over the ball--no matter what he says. I think it is an albatross that is hanging around Trent's neck. To the point where, when he drops back to pass, he automatically looks for the safest pass he can make.

I think a coach like Holmgren or Gruden (Shanahan, too) could take Trent out of that kind of mindset because they have had experience working with QBs and know how to build confidence and bring out the best in a QB. Also, I think that it would probably be easier for an experienced, offensive-minded head coach to teach a QB who is careful with the ball to take more chances than it would be to teach a QB who is reckless with the ball to avoid turning the ball over. But, I don't think that he will be really able to get away from it as long as he is playing for a head coach who is conservative offensively, especially Jauron.

Typ0
09-29-2009, 05:19 AM
TE is not a caretaker QB. The guy has a cannon, throws a nice pass and is very accurate. He just isn't getting it done. He's young and he's smart. And that's why he's being called a caretaker because being smart is using that checkdown pass instead of throwing INTs. The team can win while he feels his way through the growth if he plays the conservative role. They can't win if he starts chucking it and turns the ball over. If he's going to grow into it or not is what remains to be seen but this guy has got the abilities!

eee1776
09-29-2009, 05:48 AM
San Diego drafted Phillip Rivers when Drew Breeze was in his third year because they didn't think it was happening for him. Then, year 4 came about and he lit it up.

X-Era
09-29-2009, 06:13 AM

He gets a pass from me... its one bad game.

The OL wasnt very good at all in that game, the running game never got going, that allowed TO and Evans to get double teamed. And we had no other options. Reed made plays, but Fine dropped the ball plenty.

He didnt throw a bunch of picks at tried to take shots. But he was off target on his deep shots.

He needs to show he can pick a defense apart. He needs to show he can lead a team to wins. He hasnt consistently done that.

Nothings going to happen this year, Trent will start all year. But many of us have been already looking at QB's for the draft... so its on the concern list for sure.

X-Era
09-29-2009, 06:17 AM
San Diego drafted Phillip Rivers when Drew Breeze was in his third year because they didn't think it was happening for him. Then, year 4 came about and he lit it up.

Drew Bress hit free agency. And the Bills didnt get him. To me thats just another staggering view of why we are perpetually mediocre.

I know it was a very different situation, but we have had at least questionable play at QB every year since Kelly. And when you get a shot at a franchise QB, you go and pull out all the stops and get one. We skipped it.

If things go the way they are headed, we will be shopping for yet another QB. Id almost bet my paycheck we wont trade for a stud QB, we wont move up for a franchise signal caller, were more likely to draft a CB and then trade up from the 2nd for the next Loss-man.

I hope I'm wrong.

yordad
09-29-2009, 07:07 AM
Starting?

Mr. Pink
09-29-2009, 07:46 AM
Hopefully we're bad enough to get into the Bradford/McCoy mix.

We sure as hell aren't making the playoffs this year, we might as well go get someone who MAY be a franchise QB.

It sure isn't the guy behind center right now.

mybills
09-29-2009, 08:04 AM
I'm so sick of watching Captain Checkdown keep dumping off the passes to the TEs or RBs. I want a QB like Manning, Brees, Rivers or some other QB that knows how to get the ball to his WRs and isn't worried about the occasional INT. I want a QB that will thread the needle and allow his WRs to make the play. I want a QB that isn't scared to throw the ball and doesn't check down immediately at any sign of pressure. As of now...unless something major happens, that is NOT Trent Edwards!

I know a lot of people say that starting over with a rookie QB amounts to a couple losing seasons, but I've seen several rookie QBs prove that wrong lately...guys like Ben Roethlisberger, Philip Rivers, Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco, and now even though I hate to admit it, Mark Sanchez.
:hi5:

mybills
09-29-2009, 08:08 AM
4th & 23 and he throws a dump pass.

That defines him...much like Jauron punting to keep the losing score respectable.
Remember Bledsoe's 4 & 20 QB sneak? At least you KNEW that was on the coach.
A coach who believed he could run 2 feet, never mind 20 yards. :ill: But this was Trent's decision. A "scared" decision.

psubills62
09-29-2009, 08:19 AM
Hopefully we're bad enough to get into the Bradford/McCoy mix.

We sure as hell aren't making the playoffs this year, we might as well go get someone who MAY be a franchise QB.

It sure isn't the guy behind center right now.

At this point in the season, I think I'd prefer someone like Tony Pike. Maybe Jake Locker?

trapezeus
09-29-2009, 08:30 AM
Trent had a bad game. It was concerning that he's still throwing the short passes like he's throwing a dart.

but i'm with lifetime with this one. He isn't really getting any support from the coaches. if you go out and hang up a 3 INT game, the coaches aren't in the position to take the blame, because they are already on the hot seat. so you have to kind of manage the game.

One thing i am tired of hearing is taht we don't throw long. Watch other games of other teams. They don't throw long consistently. Unless everyone is talking about the 15-20 yard pass as a long throw. Teams do that routinely, and we don't. If that's coaching or the QB, it needs to be sorted out.

At this point, i look at the coaching staff. they hd their 3 years and blew it royally. Trent is in his third year. the commentators each week have good things to say about trent. i don't recall them saying that about losman or holcomb or even bledsoe at the end.

We have a workable guy. Before we throw everything out, let's at least have the new PROVEN head coach look things over and tell us what we have. If our QB is like a jolapy, we need to get this crook of a mechanic out of the garage and get a real mechanic like a gruden or cowher to look under the hood and tell us if we should trade it in or if we've just had years of not taking care of it properly.

Luisito23
09-29-2009, 09:13 AM
I hate Trent, the guy is horrible, and everyone will get excited when he has another mediocre game against an even more horrible Miami team. As long as he's under center we can continue to expect these kinda games. He's nothing but a career backup who's afraid of his own shadow, and it's only going to get worst now that winter is coming.

justasportsfan
09-29-2009, 09:14 AM
While it is still too early to tell for sure, I don't really think that Trent is the problem in the sense that he lacks the ability to be a successful NFL QB. In fact, I think that he can be a very good NFL QB in a West Coast offense--and put up good numbers in such a system.

I agree which is why he isn't the qb to get the ball to TO and Lee. Trent just isn't a gun slinger.

justasportsfan
09-29-2009, 09:16 AM
Trent had a bad game. It was concerning that he's still throwing the short passes like he's throwing a dart.

but i'm with lifetime with this one. He isn't really getting any support from the coaches. if you go out and hang up a 3 INT game, the coaches aren't in the position to take the blame, because they are already on the hot seat. so you have to kind of manage the game.

One thing i am tired of hearing is taht we don't throw long. Watch other games of other teams. They don't throw long consistently. Unless everyone is talking about the 15-20 yard pass as a long throw. Teams do that routinely, and we don't. If that's coaching or the QB, it needs to be sorted out.

At this point, i look at the coaching staff. they hd their 3 years and blew it royally. Trent is in his third year. the commentators each week have good things to say about trent. i don't recall them saying that about losman or holcomb or even bledsoe at the end.

We have a workable guy. Before we throw everything out, let's at least have the new PROVEN head coach look things over and tell us what we have. If our QB is like a jolapy, we need to get this crook of a mechanic out of the garage and get a real mechanic like a gruden or cowher to look under the hood and tell us if we should trade it in or if we've just had years of not taking care of it properly.

It's the qb. You can't tell me that AVP called a dump pass on 4th and 23.

HHURRICANE
09-29-2009, 09:37 AM

Our offense looked anemic when Edwards wasn't even on the roster. We have a cultural issue that goes beyond QB.

trapezeus
09-29-2009, 10:07 AM
4th and 23 was annoying. but if the protection is going to get you sacked to throw it 23 yards and you are trying to keep it alive, i guess you dump it down.

again, the techmo bowl tv angle really doesn't help a fan tell what is going on. I don't know if the receivers are covered or what, but i think it's a little everything. honestly? having a 4th and 23 shows how undisciplined the team is and how stupid the coaches are to try that one but not the 4th and 1.

PECKERWOOD
09-29-2009, 10:10 AM
Look at our offensive line, that was the problem.

Seriously?? Jason Scott and Demetrius Bell?? WHO THE **** ARE THEY!?!?

justasportsfan
09-29-2009, 10:23 AM
4th and 23 was annoying. but if the protection is going to get you sacked to throw it 23 yards and you are trying to keep it alive, i guess you dump it down.

again, the techmo bowl tv angle really doesn't help a fan tell what is going on. I don't know if the receivers are covered or what, but i think it's a little everything. honestly? having a 4th and 23 shows how undisciplined the team is and how stupid the coaches are to try that one but not the 4th and 1.Stop making excuses for Trent on that play.

4th and 23 you throw the ball whether your wr's are covered or not. You might get a pass interferance or something. Even if there's a 25% chance they'll catch that ball you take that 25%.

Then again as far as Trent is concerned single coverage is no different from a double and triple coverage .

trapezeus
09-29-2009, 10:41 AM
again, trent had a bad game, i'm not making excuses for him. throwing up a prayer isn't as useless as going down and hoping something is there.

What jackass coach puts its team out there for 4th and 23. what plays do we have in our book for 4th and 23? The game has already been lost at that point.

When we had a shot, they didn't take a shot. we didn't make 1 single play from the time of the fake field goal until the end of the game. and 1 play would have been the difference. it was for the Saints. they got the fumble, when 10 yards and kicked a game winning fieldgoal. But we routinely took penalties which took us out of our running game. We routinely were in 1st and 20. Our QB was getting knocked down.

at the end of the season, when i look through each game and say, "where did trent succeed and where did he fail?" this one will be a fail.

I'm more inclined to see a smart QB get coached properly.

This next game has a lot riding on it for everyone.

Michael82
09-29-2009, 11:19 AM
Another thing to keep in mind....Gregg Williams knows that Trent Edwards can't play against a 3-4 defense and guess which defense Gregg used.... Yup, a bunch of 3-4 schemes. :ill:

Mahdi
09-29-2009, 11:35 AM
I really just think that Trent has difficulty making certain throws.

For those of you that watched MNF yesterday, you would have seen Romo make a beautiful throw over a CB and in front of the safety to Roy Williams. Looking at the coverage you would think he is covered but when you know you can make the throw then it is second nature to throw it.

Trent IMO, looks at a situation like that and figures his WR is covered and the throw is too risky. And I think he sees it as too risky because he in reality CANNOT make that throw.

In 3 years I have never seen him make a throw like Romo's yesterday, that every QB in the league makes routinely.

He has ZERO ability to threaten the deep middle of the field and safeties are very much aware of that and choose to focus on defending the sideline and the 5-10 yard area. In effect, Trent makes the field smaller for the defense.

ddaryl
09-29-2009, 11:41 AM
Yeah, I saw good things in Trent the 1st 2 years, but he just can't seem to clear the hurrdle and become a complete QB

He either

a.) starts throwing the deep ball with confidence and let his WR's make plays, and the fans rejoice

b.) starts thrwing the deep ball and ends up throwing an increase in incompletions and INT's and the fans revolt

c.) keeps his Capt. Checkdown moniker, and dinks and dunks his way to anotehr 7-9 season and the fans revolt

They say when you pass 3 things can happen and 2 of them are bad.. With Trent 3 things can happen and 2 of them are bad... No matter what he has to make some changes or his tenure is coming to an end

billsburgh
09-29-2009, 01:39 PM
like Brady or Brees or Manning does?

HHURRICANE
09-29-2009, 01:57 PM
I think this board is in need of a serious reality check. QBs like Manning, Marino, Kelly, Rothinsberger, etc. don't just grow on trees. I'm not sure if Edwards is average, above average or elite. Only time will tell.

I do know that he looks like the best QB we've had here since Kelly.

If we were comitted to the passing game we would have kept the o-line in tact and just brought in Hangartner. We decided to make a run based o-line so why are we expecting Edwards to have time to find these reveivers downfield?

I don't get the logic here at all.

ddaryl
09-29-2009, 02:00 PM
^^^^^

and yadda yadda yadda.... 7-9

HHURRICANE
09-29-2009, 02:04 PM
^^^^^

and yadda yadda yadda.... 7-9

Not that I don't disagree with some of your sentiment but the QB debate is like changing the engine in a car that has no tires.

Saratoga Slim
09-29-2009, 02:34 PM
I think Trent has inherited Dicks play not to lose mentality which is what check downs are . A coach who's got balls will make Trent throw the ball.

Either inherited (which implies that that is not necessarily what Dick wants), or he's playing conservatively per his instructions and training.

I'm hoping it's the former, and that Dick/AVP get him straightened out soon. He's a smart QB and very accurate, but he'd benefit from a heavy infusion of gunslingerosterone. He's just too damn cautious on the mid-longer routes.

ddaryl
09-29-2009, 02:49 PM
Not that I don't disagree with some of your sentiment but the QB debate is like changing the engine in a car that has no tires.

Trent has to make plays to Evans and TO or the fans will run him out of town. No matter what the argument is, the bottom line is he has to make plays to these 2 guys... He has to prove he can lay a ball into a tight area on a consistent basis because that is what you do when you have WR's like Evans and TO.

and I feel our OL is playing well enough for Trent to be able to do just that.

It's also up to our coaches / AVP to get this rolling

Trent has to step up and breathe confidence into the team... That's his job as the O's leader... It is put up or shut up time.

yordad
09-29-2009, 02:52 PM
I don't get the logic here at all.
Not surprising. :snicker:

mybills
09-29-2009, 03:08 PM
Flutie's the best since Kelly.

HHURRICANE
09-29-2009, 03:28 PM
Flutie's the best since Kelly.

I suspected that might come up when I posted this. If we had Flutie's brain inside Edwards body we might have something.

The reality is that Flutie didn't play well enough to keep his job for a home playoff game that Rob Johnson had won us if not for the incompetance of our special teams.

HHURRICANE
09-29-2009, 03:33 PM
Trent has to make plays to Evans and TO or the fans will run him out of town. No matter what the argument is, the bottom line is he has to make plays to these 2 guys... He has to prove he can lay a ball into a tight area on a consistent basis because that is what you do when you have WR's like Evans and TO.

and I feel our OL is playing well enough for Trent to be able to do just that.

Sirrius made a great point about Edwards. They basically made the comment that the guy is playing pretty darn well considering he's behind an o-line that has zero NFL experience, he lost an OC a week before the home opener, and his starting RB has been on suspension for 3 weeks.

The National media has looked at Edwards much differently than the local media has.

After 3 games I still feel like Edwards is the starting QB for the Bills.

M
09-29-2009, 03:44 PM
Sirrius made a great point about Edwards. They basically made the comment that the guy is playing pretty darn well considering he's behind an o-line that has zero NFL experience, he lost an OC a week before the home opener, and his starting RB has been on suspension for 3 weeks.

The National media has looked at Edwards much differently than the local media has.

After 3 games I still feel like Edwards is the starting QB for the Bills.

The o-line is giving him time - maybe not enough time to knit a sweater but they aren't horrible, the former OC stunk and the "backup" RB has been running and catching like a man possessed.

ddaryl
09-29-2009, 03:46 PM
we have no choice.. He is definitley our starter this year, but if he doesn't find ways to make plays even when the OL is not having its best day then the he is going to shoulder a lot of the blame.

and the national media doens't know crap about our team. How many times have we listened or reads th eopinions of out of towners and moaned because of the ******edness.

Trent HAS TO involve TO and Evans and it might not be all Trents fault, but AVP has to start tweaking his playcalling and playbook and the way Trent is coached to make it happen.

How many teams go to the playoffs and beyond by using there best WR's as decoys only ???????????

Could you imagine Larry Fitzgerald being a decoy only. You know he is being doubled and tripled teamed.

Trent with the help of the coaches needs to add another dimension to his game and he needs to do so in the short term.

OpIv37
09-29-2009, 09:00 PM
TE is not a caretaker QB. The guy has a cannon, throws a nice pass and is very accurate. He just isn't getting it done. He's young and he's smart. And that's why he's being called a caretaker because being smart is using that checkdown pass instead of throwing INTs. The team can win while he feels his way through the growth if he plays the conservative role. They can't win if he starts chucking it and turns the ball over. If he's going to grow into it or not is what remains to be seen but this guy has got the abilities!

umm.... he's playing the caretaker role and throwing the checkdown route and we're STILL losing. If he goes long and gets picked off, what changes? We still lose. Might as well take the risk because it's the only shot to win.

PECKERWOOD
09-29-2009, 09:04 PM
umm.... he's playing the caretaker role and throwing the checkdown route and we're STILL losing. If he goes long and gets picked off, what changes? We still lose. Might as well take the risk because it's the only shot to win.

Problem is, Terrell has been dropping balls like crazy and Lee Evans is too big of a pussy to fight for the ball.. Not to mention the rest of recievers suck.

Ground Chuck
09-29-2009, 09:06 PM
Trent has never been the same since he was clocked by Adrian Wilson.

Frankly, I want to like the guy, but I'm not real comfortable having a QB named "Trent".

Typ0
09-30-2009, 07:13 PM

last week was a bad game. TE has won plenty of games playing the way he plays. He also beat the PATS this year with that play if it weren't for a stupid fumble.