PDA

View Full Version : Byrd as a starter scares me

OpIv37
09-29-2009, 10:07 PM
Don't get me wrong... I think the kid has potential. But I also think he has a long way to go. He played a little against the Saints and was basically running around like a headless chicken. Rookie QB or not, I think Miami will be able to exploit this 2nd string secondary all afternoon.

The key is Lynch and Owens. These guys HAVE to put up some numbers and keep our banged-up D off the field.

Buffalogic
09-29-2009, 10:09 PM
That first big long Pierre Thomas run would have been a 15 yard gain at most if Byrd didn't leave his jockstrap on the field. One play doesn't make the player, but that didn't look too good.

PECKERWOOD
09-29-2009, 10:18 PM
That first big long Pierre Thomas run would have been a 15 yard gain at most if Byrd didn't leave his jockstrap on the field. One play doesn't make the player, but that didn't look too good.

Holy ****, registered user #6663, you bear the mark of satan.

trapezeus
09-29-2009, 11:13 PM
byrd looked a little weak in run support. the second td run he was dragged into the endzone...but his strength is being a ball hawk. hopefully he can keep up the high turnover rate that the d has been churning on.

LifetimeBillsFan
09-30-2009, 01:10 AM
Don't get me wrong... I think the kid has potential. But I also think he has a long way to go....

I agree with you on this OP.

I just don't think that the kid is ready to see major playing time just yet. Like most rookies, he doesn't seem to be strong enough yet and IMHO he missed too much time during the OTAs and preseason to for him to have all of his assignments down fully.

I don't know if Henne and the Miami receivers are good enough to be able to consistently take advantage of his rawness, but I'm not sure that he will be able to do what he will need to do against the Miami running game and Wildcat formation for the Bills to be successful.

I have a lot more confidence in George Wilson being able to do the job. Wilson has been beaten a few times, but has also made some big plays for the Bills when he has been in there. The question is whether he has enough experience to be able to help out Byrd when he hasn't seen that much playing time himself.

The safeties really have to know what they are doing facing the Wildcat because the Wildcat formation can put a lot of pressure on the safeties. And no team runs a wider variety of plays out of the Wildcat that can expose a defense that doesn't know exactly what its assignments are against it than Miami. And, I expect Miami to try to protect Henne by running the ball and using the Wildcat a lot against the Bills on Sunday.

jamze132
09-30-2009, 01:29 AM
I'm actually kind of numb right now to this organization.

Mahdi
09-30-2009, 07:40 AM
Byrd has actually played a lot so far this season. Donte has been used all over the field and Byrd has been used quite a bit to replace him a FS. He had a big hand in keeping Drew Brees in check.

trapezeus
09-30-2009, 01:19 PM
lifetime, i agree, the miami wildcat is deadly because both backs are a load to bring down and one throws it well. so you can't cheat and play the first run.

it kinda sounds like it could work well for the bills since they have two tough backs to bring down and marshawn can throw as well...and we have a better receiving corp.

casdhf
09-30-2009, 01:34 PM
Wendling playing would scare me more.

Billz_fan
09-30-2009, 02:10 PM
Im sorry to interupt but casdhf your sig is hilarious :laughter:

bigbub2352
09-30-2009, 02:13 PM
Byrd has to get his feet wet he got taken in the 2nd rd for a reason so im hoping at the very least he shows potential since this should be a rebuilding year anyway

mybills
09-30-2009, 02:30 PM
The key is Lynch and Owens.
No love for Jackson or Evans?

Tatonka
10-26-2009, 10:55 PM
he doesnt scare me anymore.

Lexwhat
10-26-2009, 11:28 PM
he doesnt scare me anymore.

Hey Tatonka! Copeland Bryan got his 1 sack. Remember our bet?

http://www.nfl.com/players/copelandbryan/profile?id=BRY051131

Syderick
10-26-2009, 11:41 PM
Holy ****, registered user #6663, you bear the mark of satan.

I've got in 69 in mine.

Tatonka
10-26-2009, 11:44 PM
Hey Tatonka! Copeland Bryan got his 1 sack. Remember our bet?

http://www.nfl.com/players/copelandbryan/profile?id=BRY051131

was that all there was to our bet? 1 sack wins it? i remember making a bet.. just not the conditions.. i will see if i can find it.

Tatonka
10-27-2009, 12:04 AM
I thought your original post said that if neither make it, then you get my Zone Bucks?

But no big deal -- it's just zone bucks, haha...

I guess we have 2 separate bets then:
(a) Bryan getting 1 sack or more this year -- 2100 Zone Bucks.
(b) Stupar getting 2 or more catches this year -- 2100 Zone Bucks.

It's a deal. And just to keep it real with you, those stats have to be in the NFL.

...Hopefully these 2 scrubs are taken in by some team in the NFL.
thank god stupar dropped his pass this weekend.. so your halfway there.. with stupar on the roster by default.. im sure you will end up winning both.

LifetimeBillsFan
10-27-2009, 04:52 AM
I will admit that I may have underestimated Byrd's abilities as a ball-hawk, but I will stand by my earlier concerns about him in run support at this stage of his career. From what he has shown the last couple of games, I think that he has the chance to become a really good player--even better than he has shown so far--once he has a chance to get stronger in this coming offseason.

I would really like to see him paired with a healthy Whitner or Scott--two guys who are better against the run--for a whole game as the starter at free safety. George Wilson is a 100% effort guy on every play, but he just isn't big enough playing against the run.

If Byrd could play with a strong safety who could cover for his weakness against the run and develop a solid partnership with him, that could really make this Bills' defense very good as it would free up both safeties to concentrate more on what they each do best.

Dujek
10-27-2009, 07:20 AM
I will admit that I may have underestimated Byrd's abilities as a ball-hawk, but I will stand by my earlier concerns about him in run support at this stage of his career. From what he has shown the last couple of games, I think that he has the chance to become a really good player--even better than he has shown so far--once he has a chance to get stronger in this coming offseason.

I would really like to see him paired with a healthy Whitner or Scott--two guys who are better against the run--for a whole game as the starter at free safety. George Wilson is a 100% effort guy on every play, but he just isn't big enough playing against the run.

If Byrd could play with a strong safety who could cover for his weakness against the run and develop a solid partnership with him, that could really make this Bills' defense very good as it would free up both safeties to concentrate more on what they each do best.

Agreed, Byrd playing alongside Whitner would be a good solid pairing at Safety. People seem to forget that the Bills' troubles against the run this year only appeared after Whitner got hurt.

mybills
10-27-2009, 07:25 AM
Poz's absence had a little to do with it, too.

ddaryl
10-27-2009, 07:30 AM
might as well play the rookies and let them get their time in...

Don't Panic
10-27-2009, 07:40 AM
Hindsight is 20/20... Byrd can be awful at run defense (which he's not) at this point so long as he's getting a pick a game. I also love what he and Whitner should bring to the table in terms of how they compliment each other going forward. DBs are definitely one area this team doesn't have to lose sleep over.

tampabay25690
10-27-2009, 08:36 AM
Thats why I don't open threads for some users on here.
You have to wait and see how a player plays not just off 1 or 2 games...
This is the same thing BYRD did at Oregon...

casdhf
10-27-2009, 08:43 AM
I dont care about my FS in run support. The 10 other guys on the field can worry about that.

Dujek
10-27-2009, 08:53 AM

Poz was missing for the second half of the Pats game and the entire Bucs game, and the Bills shut down both those rushing attacks.

In fact even against the Saints the Bills didn't start giving up big run plays until the second half, after Whitner went out.

OpIv37
10-27-2009, 08:54 AM
Don't be so sure. Both poz and whitner were on the field for the long runs by the jets.

But anyway it looks like I'm eating some crow on this one. Byrd caught on fast.

Lexwhat
10-27-2009, 11:40 AM
thank god stupar dropped his pass this weekend.. so your halfway there.. with stupar on the roster by default.. im sure you will end up winning both.

It's all in fun anyways.

:D

PECKERWOOD
10-27-2009, 11:53 AM
Wow, who would've thunk it? I was pretty negative about drafting Byrd too, I'm not even going to downplay it.

Goobylal
10-27-2009, 06:42 PM
Agreed, Byrd playing alongside Whitner would be a good solid pairing at Safety. People seem to forget that the Bills' troubles against the run this year only appeared after Whitner got hurt.
I agree with you about Whitner. I think he looked far better at the beginning of the season (when he was healthy) than he has his previous 3 seasons. I hope he and Scott come back soon, because that gives the Bills 3 excellent safeties, with a serviceable backup in Wilson.

BTW, cute kid.

Historian
10-27-2009, 06:50 PM
He played a little against the Saints and was basically running around like a headless chicken.

Which is actually more skilled than the rest of the dildos we have back there...

Demon
10-27-2009, 07:55 PM
byrd looked a little weak in run support. the second td run he was dragged into the endzone...but his strength is being a ball hawk. hopefully he can keep up the high turnover rate that the d has been churning on.

The more he plays, the more we'll probably realize why he dropped to the 2nd round. A player with his abilities shouldn't have dropped but like you point out, Bryd had been having problems on run support. I actually think he did well vs. Carolina but the Browns and Jets games he was awful. I think he's improving though. He will have a lot of work to do this off-season to get stronger and improve on his rush defense. Hope we get better coaches in here.

However, people also need to realize that this kid missed half of training camp. I remember when we first learned he was gonna miss all that time at St. John Fisher college, people were writing him off and saying it was a wasted pick, and hoped he atleast breaks the starting lineup late in the season but most said his rookie season is a "wash". The kid has 5 int's in 3 career starts and people are still getting worried. lol

Marvelous
10-28-2009, 02:17 AM
Don't get me wrong... I think the kid has potential. But I also think he has a long way to go. He played a little against the Saints and was basically running around like a headless chicken. Rookie QB or not, I think Miami will be able to exploit this 2nd string secondary all afternoon.

The key is Lynch and Owens. These guys HAVE to put up some numbers and keep our banged-up D off the field.

- I agree. W/ BOTH. But It's obvious that the key is much more then saying Owens & Lynch.. How to get Lynch going. Thye O-line...
-How to get T.O going- unknown & odds are against it all of a sudden/outta the blue happening now..One can hope for both.
---All keys to victory start with the O-line on offense & D-line on D. This means INT'S & turnovers & lots o' punting.
--Offense it means Lynch & Freddie get moving & maybe open up some Evans & wide-outs...
---I adimit i wasn't focusing on Byrd at all. BUT I blame this on the camera not showing the secondary..Only those in attendance see reaction times to the ball & whatnot.

-In regards to my last ^ ---I can't wait for TV technology to be like that Sprint commercial w/ that fat mexican & that other dude watching the FG attempt while standing over a exagerrated cell phone...
-Imagine a Huge TV on say you're coffee table and you can see The WHOLE FIELD..Then i could have a better feeling on Byrd starting..

feldspar
10-28-2009, 03:02 AM
Byrd basically set us up for the two TDs we had against the Panthers. One INT he returned to the Carolina 7 yard-line...that much I know for sure. The other INT, I think he returned to the Carolina 27 yard-line...not for sure about that one, but I'd be willing to bet money on it.

this is his second straight week with 2 INTs. He gives back more than he gives away. And he's totally young. Don't forget that he missed most of training camp because of his exam schedule...then he got hurt, I believe. This is the guy you want in there. I understand he has to work on his run support, but how is he going to do that if he isn't playing?

Keep him in there over Scott. I like Scott, but Byrd has the potential to be a superstar. I always thought the term "ball-hawk" was cheesy until it was applied to him.

Without turnovers, this team is dead this year anyway. No kidding.