Sullivan deserves a raise for this article today!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HHURRICANE
    • Mar 2005

Sullivan deserves a raise for this article today!!

Sullivan: Jauron's decision took life out of Bills

If it seems unfair, so be it. It's entirely plausible that Jauron was trying to keep the score down. If the Bills held the Saints to 17 points, NFL types might say, "Jauron figured out a way, like he did in the opener against New England."

Speaking of the Pats, they went for it on fourth-and-1 from their own 24 late in the third quarter Sunday, with a 16-10 lead. And made it.

I don't imagine the Jauron coaching manual advocates going on fourth down at your 24 with a six-point lead. But you know what? I'll take my chances with the Bill Belichick manual, which says a winner sometimes has to toss away the book and trust his gut � and his team.

That was the real problem with Jauron's call. It took the life right out of his team. The Bills played like a team that had surrendered. They acted like a demoralized bunch that couldn't wait to get to the locker room.
  • GreedoII
    • Aug 2007

Re: Sullivan deserves a raise for this article today!!

I always enjoy his articles because instead of the homerism like most of these delusional fans on here, he tells it like it is. He's right on the money with this one too. The best line is the last one. To paraphrase....It's all good and dandy to lose with dignity but your still a loser....classic.

Comment

• bigbub2352
      • Feb 2005

Couldnt agree more alot of people dont like him cause he tells it like u do HH and i do, couldnt be any more right THe Bills Suck guys only way it changes is to get rid of overpaid losers and replace the staff and front office
      Last edited by bigbub2352; 09-30-2009, 09:48 AM.
      XTRA CRISPY XTRA SAUCEY

Comment

• justasportsfan
        • Jul 2002

Jauron is a man who coaches not to lose. But he took it to a new extreme here on Sunday. He coached not to lose by more than 10 points.
        Doesn't get more accurate than that.
        sacrifice1
        https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
          • Jan 2003

Anybody remember in the Tampa game when it was 4th and 1 from about our 40 and we had a decent lead that we went for it on 4th and inches? At the time, they were showing T.O. waving frantically at someone. Was it T.O. waving the punt team off? Why would Jauron go for it with a lead and NOT go for it when down by two scores with less than 8 minutes left? Very confusing.

Comment

• The Juice Is Loose
            All-Pro Zoner
            • Feb 2009

Originally posted by bigbub2352
            Couldnt agree more alot of people dont like him cause he tells it like u do HH and i do, couldnt be farther form the truth
            THe Bills Suck guys only way it changes is to get rid of overpaid losers and replace the staff and front office
            the only person who tells anything like you do is boomhauer from king of the hill.

Comment

• bigbub2352
              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by The Juice Is Loose
              the only person who tells anything like you do is boomhauer from king of the hill.
              r u on drugs?
              XTRA CRISPY XTRA SAUCEY

Comment

• Syderick
                • Apr 2006

Originally posted by The Juice Is Loose
                Boy, I tell you what, man, that dang ol' Dick Jauron, man, just plays conservative.

Last edited by Syderick; 09-30-2009, 09:55 AM.
                3,000,000th post on BZ!

Comment

• Philagape
                  WIN NOW
                  • Jul 2002

Boomhauer was the smartest guy on that show.
                  "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
                  2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• yordad
                    • Dec 2007

Originally posted by chernobylwraiths
                    Anybody remember in the Tampa game when it was 4th and 1 from about our 40 and we had a decent lead that we went for it on 4th and inches? At the time, they were showing T.O. waving frantically at someone. Was it T.O. waving the punt team off? Why would Jauron go for it with a lead and NOT go for it when down by two scores with less than 8 minutes left? Very confusing.
                    Maybe we was waiting for TO to wave to punt team off again.
                    "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• Jeff1220
                      H to the 12:20
                      • Jul 2002

TMQ agrees:
                      In other football news, perhaps Tuesday Morning Quarterback was premature in declaring last week that courage was breaking out across the NFL. Trailing New Orleans (which came into the game as the league's highest-scoring team) 17-7 with 7:30 remaining, Buffalo faced fourth-and-inches on its own 29-yard line. That cannot be the punt unit coming on the field! TMQ wrote the words "game over" in his notebook, because with that little time left, you've got to retain possession or it's over. More important, by launching a Preposterous Punt, clueless Dick "Cheerio, Chaps" Jauron was informing his team that he had quit on the game -- so they might as well quit, too. With New Orleans ahead 20-7 and 2:25 remaining, the Bills faced fourth-and-23 on their own 14, and then "Cheerio, Chaps" went for it. So when courage might have saved the day, an NFL coach was hyper-conservative, desperate to avoid responsibility; when it made absolutely no difference what he did because the game was lost, the coach went for it. See other examples of NFL coaching timidity below.
                      Arizona and Pittsburgh's slow starts have nothing to do with their schedule, says Tuesday Morning Quarterback.

Comment

• Mad Bomber
                        • Jul 2002

"It's a 10-point game. We're not going to give them the game. They've got to earn the game. That's not to say we might not have made it. But it's not a good gamble at that point, in my opinion, to give them a short field in a tight football game. We had fought the whole time to get it there, to keep it there."
                        Translation: Jauron wanted to lose respectably.

A tight game? They were down by 10. The defense was wearing down.
                        So what does Jauron do? He puts his defense back on the field. Instead of making the reasonable, courageous gamble that might win the game, he decided it was more important to keep it close.

Jauron stands by and lets it happen, willing to think small. He sees a 10-point deficit as something to be protected. The thing about losing respectably, of course, is you're still a loser.

He was trying to protect a 10-point deficit!!!!! What was the outcome? We lost by 20!!!!

These excerpts from his article summarize my feelings EXACTLY about that Dick's decision and why the Bills will NEVER be winners with this cowardly loser at the helm.

He has to go.
                        Last edited by Mad Bomber; 09-30-2009, 11:56 AM.

Comment

• Thurmal
                          • Oct 2005

Can you believe he won Coach of the Year at one point during his career?
                          "Miami played pretty damn good today and still got their ass kicked."

Comment

• DynaPaul
                            • Sep 2003

Sully is absolutely right. I mean, come on, he doesn't go for it on 4th and 1 down by 10 with lots of time in the 4th and then decides to go for it on 4th and 23 down by a lot with hardly anytime in the 4th? What the hell kind of reasoning is that? He should have went for it on 4th and 1 to try and get the win and not punt it to only lose by 10. The whole thing backfired anyways since the defense was tired and we wound up losing by 20 points instead. Jauron the Moron!

Comment

• JD
                              Sabres Zone
                              • Sep 2003

I don't rarely wish death upon someone so I'll just say I hope he strokes out before Ralph.
                              “You hold a players only meeting and get each guy to stand up and say what he can bring to the table... and if he doesn't, you punch him in the face.” ~~ Harry Neale, on how to fix the Sabres season.

Comment

Working...
                              X