PDA

View Full Version : Jauron's background?

trapezeus
09-30-2009, 08:43 AM
You never really hear which coaches were the ones to get him in the NFL. I was curious if anyone knew.

zone
09-30-2009, 08:49 AM
He was the DB coach here in 85, Hank Bullough was the DC who hired him. Jauron played for him in Cincy.

Ickybaluky
09-30-2009, 08:54 AM
He has coached with the following head coaches:

Hank Bullough
Forest Gregg
Lindy Infante
Mike Holmgren

He was the DB coach for all those guys.

He was a DC for:

Tom Coughlin
Steve Mariucci

BillsWin
09-30-2009, 08:56 AM
Tom Coughlin tree. Too bad we got the short end of the Dick on that one.

Historian
09-30-2009, 09:08 AM
Paul Brown tree:

Walsh coached under Brown
Holmgren coached under Walsh
Jauron coached under Holmgren

Of course, not all fruit is edible...

Pinkerton Security
09-30-2009, 09:29 AM
Paul Brown tree:

Walsh coached under Brown
Holmgren coached under Walsh
Jauron coached under Holmgren

Of course, not all fruit is edible...

Ya, it sucks that us Bills fans were forced to eat Dick-fruit.

The Juice Is Loose
09-30-2009, 09:36 AM
Tom Coughlin tree. Too bad we got the short end of the Dick on that one.

It took Coughlin 8 years to produce a winner. Entering their Super Bowl year he was on the hottest seat in the NFL.

They players had turned on him, including but not limited to Tiki Barber, Jeremy Shockey and Michael Strahan.

They started 0-2 the year they won the Superbowl.

In the one year since he had a rock solid team that was one and done to a wildcard in their home stadium.

If people on these boards were Giants fan you'd have been calling for him to get fired before, and after his Super Bowl win.

The Juice Is Loose
09-30-2009, 09:37 AM
PS - It also took Eli 4 years to figure out how to use his receivers and be a winning QB.

They didn't bench their QB after every bad game and fire their coach. Like half this board wants to do.

Mahdi
09-30-2009, 09:48 AM
I really think Jauron is just unlucky...

Many of you will point to the 4th and 1 punt as a stupid decision... However, had he gone for it and failed and the Saints had gone on to make it a 17 point lead, many of us would say that he should have punted considering how well our D was doing and the fact that we still had timeouts.

In reality if Trent had put up a measly 10 points, just 1 TD and FG, we would have most likely won that game and everyone would be praising Jauron for a solid game plan that shut down the top offense in the league.

How far can a coach go with a QB that refuses to make routine NFL throws?

Mahdi
09-30-2009, 09:50 AM
PS - It also took Eli 4 years to figure out how to use his receivers and be a winning QB.

They didn't bench their QB after every bad game and fire their coach. Like half this board wants to do.

Edwards had more starts his rookie year than Eli did. Trent 9. Eli .

In their second years, Eli 3762 yards, 24 TDs, 17 int.

Edwards... 2699 yards, 11 TD, 10 INT.

Its not even close.

Pinkerton Security
09-30-2009, 09:50 AM

Many of you will point to the 4th and 1 punt as a stupid decision... However, had he gone for it and failed and the Saints had gone on to make it a 17 point lead, many of us would say that he should have punted considering how well our D was doing and the fact that we still had timeouts.

In reality if Trent had put up a measly 10 points, just 1 TD and FG, we would have most likely won that game and everyone would be praising Jauron for a solid game plan that shut down the top offense in the league.

i agree trent made him look bad that game. But with all the stats being thrown around of him being 2-21 against playoff teams, it seems like a looooong string of bad luck...or just him being a sub-par coach.

trapezeus
09-30-2009, 09:58 AM
coughlin was known for putting out gritty teams. he lost his team that one year. He took an expansion team to the NFC championship game with a rookie Kerry collins. Coughlin has been more succesful beating above .500 teams prior to his superbowl win.

Juice, stop dismissing historical norms. you just jam broken facts into your theory that everything is ok. It is not ok...the team is following the exact same path it has for 3 years. Jauron is making the same damn mistakes.

Jauron hasn't even been mildly successful against good teams. and now you think he's magically going to be good, with injuries...and having lost the teams. that crack must be good.

Forward_Lateral
09-30-2009, 10:03 AM
I think Dick comes from a coaching stick.

Mahdi
09-30-2009, 10:05 AM
i agree trent made him look bad that game. But with all the stats being thrown around of him being 2-21 against playoff teams, it seems like a looooong string of bad luck...or just him being a sub-par coach.
This is a Qb driven league. You get into the playoffs and win in the playoffs and beat playoff calibre teams with good or at least decent NFL QBs.

I dont think Jauron ever had a QB that lasted longer than 4 years in the league.

He really has had trash to work with. Jauron is clearly not an idiot because he seems to come up with game plans that stifle very good QB/coach combos.

Manning/Dungy.... Belickick/Brady.... Payton/Brees... He just never has a QB to finish off the game for him in heroic fashion.

Pinkerton Security
09-30-2009, 10:32 AM
This is a Qb driven league. You get into the playoffs and win in the playoffs and beat playoff calibre teams with good or at least decent NFL QBs.

I dont think Jauron ever had a QB that lasted longer than 4 years in the league.

He really has had trash to work with. Jauron is clearly not an idiot because he seems to come up with game plans that stifle very good QB/coach combos.

Manning/Dungy.... Belickick/Brady.... Payton/Brees... He just never has a QB to finish off the game for him in heroic fashion.

Not trying to argue too much because I somewhat agree with your point, but what about guys like Singletary in San Fran? He has Shaun Hill, yet his team is one play away from 3-0 and he has completely changed the culture there.

It certainly makes coaches look good when their QB is a great player (Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco come to mind as well), but there are coaches out there that actually make their team better. Dick is not one of them.

Ickybaluky
09-30-2009, 10:34 AM
It took Coughlin 8 years to produce a winner.

You couldn't be more wrong.

He coached an expansion team to the AFC Championship game in only his second year in Jacksonville. In fact, he played in 2 AFC Championship games in Jacksonville, making the playoffs 4 times while he was there.

You also conveniently ignore he made the playoffs with the Giants in the two years prior to his winning the Super Bowl in 2007, including winning the division his second year after taking over.

Don't forget, Coughlin turned around Boston College in his first head coaching job, putting the program on the map. The program was bad when he took over, and he led them to back-to-back bowl games and an upset of #1 ranked Notre Dame in 1993.

Maybe you are trying to define "produce a winner" as win the Super Bowl. However, that was his 12 season as an NFL head coach.

justasportsfan
09-30-2009, 10:35 AM
You couldn't be more wrong.

He coached an expansion team to the AFC Championship game in only his second year in Jacksonville. In fact, he played in 2 AFC Championship games in Jacksonville, making the playoffs 4 times while he was there.

You also conveniently ignore he made the playoffs with the Giants in the two years prior to his winning the Super Bowl in 2007, including winning the division his second year after taking over.

Don't forget, Coughlin turned around Boston College in his first head coaching job, putting the program on the map. The program was bad when he took over, and he led them to back-to-back bowl games and an upset of #1 ranked Notre Dame in 1993.

Maybe you are trying to define "produce a winner" as win the Super Bowl. However, that was his 12 season as an NFL head coach.

I wanted Coughlin here instead of Dick :cry:

Ickybaluky
09-30-2009, 10:36 AM
coughlin was known for putting out gritty teams. he lost his team that one year. He took an expansion team to the NFC championship game with a rookie Kerry collins.

Collins played for the Panthers, coached by Dom Capers. Coughlin made the AFC Championship in his second year with Jacksonville, with Mark Brunell as his QB.

HHURRICANE
09-30-2009, 10:48 AM

I liked your post until you blamed it all on Edwards. He didn't have a good game but there was plenty togo around. Plus the diference between Edwards and Jauron is that Edwards has a winning record.

Mahdi
09-30-2009, 10:53 AM
Not trying to argue too much because I somewhat agree with your point, but what about guys like Singletary in San Fran? He has Shaun Hill, yet his team is one play away from 3-0 and he has completely changed the culture there.

It certainly makes coaches look good when their QB is a great player (Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco come to mind as well), but there are coaches out there that actually make their team better. Dick is not one of them.
Shaun Hill has come out of his shell and is playing solid football. Not flashy, but making REAL NFL throws. Tough throws into coverage and in tight areas. He is becoming a playmaker. Last year he was just managing games.

If you want to see what Hill has been doing look at this. Watch between 2:00 and 2:25.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/san-francisco-49ers/09000d5d812fa4ce/NFL-GameDay-49ers-vs-Vikings-highlights

trapezeus
09-30-2009, 11:33 AM
Collins played for the Panthers, coached by Dom Capers. Coughlin made the AFC Championship in his second year with Jacksonville, with Mark Brunell as his QB.

i knew he got far with an expansion team, i just forgot which one. Thanks.

Ickybaluky
09-30-2009, 11:45 AM
Shaun Hill has come out of his shell and is playing solid football. Not flashy, but making REAL NFL throws. Tough throws into coverage and in tight areas. He is becoming a playmaker. Last year he was just managing games.

Hill has a real NFL OL in front of him. 4 of their 5 OL have been together for years, with the remaining guy starting since the middle of last season (plus, Smiley and Staley are among the better OT tandems in the NFL). Stability up front is a QB's best friend and makes it easier to play with confidence.

Mahdi
09-30-2009, 11:53 AM
Hill has a real NFL OL in front of him. 4 of their 5 OL have been together for years, with the remaining guy starting since the middle of last season (plus, Smiley and Staley are among the better OT tandems in the NFL). Stability up front is a QB's best friend and makes it easier to play with confidence.
That is irrelevant.

So what if his OL has been together for a while. Its not like Trent is harassed. He has been given time to throw for the most part. There is the occasional break down in protection but its not enough to make him incompetent.

Hill is making the throws Trent should be making and it has nothing to do with time in the pocket.

Also, our OL have been doing a great job run blocking so defenses are respecting our run game.

Trent is not making NFL caliber throws, period.

Mahdi
09-30-2009, 11:55 AM
And BTW. His LT and LG were injured late in the 3rd and he had the backups in there. He still made great throws and drove the ball down the field for the go ahead TD, which was a sick throw in traffic to Davis.

Ickybaluky
09-30-2009, 11:59 AM
If you hate Edwards so much, trade him to my Pats. I think he is a perfect fit for them and they need a backup.

Mahdi
09-30-2009, 12:02 PM
If you hate Edwards so much, trade him to my Pats. I think he is a perfect fit for them and they need a backup.
No, I dont hate him. I made a thread a couple days ago.

Trent Edwards: The Perfect Backup QB

And you know, he may prove me wrong one day, but he is in his third year and to expect him to make a few quality throws down the middle of the field is not out of the question. The fact that he cant/wont do it brings a valid criticism to his game.

DynaPaul
09-30-2009, 05:01 PM
I think Jauron came from the manure pile put around the tree.

Mudflap1
09-30-2009, 05:29 PM
It took Coughlin 8 years to produce a winner.

Coughlin was the coach in JAX and had them in the AFC Championship Game in their second season of being a franchise. He had them perennially in the playoffs for several years after.

Mudflap1
09-30-2009, 05:34 PM

I made this point in another thread. Guys like Neil O'Donnell, Chad Pennington, Trent Dilfer, and other "caretaker QBs" have been successful, but they need good head coaches, good defense, good running games, and good special teams. Same thing with Shaun Hill. He's a solid caretaker QB, but he has a good running game, good defense, good coaching, and good special teams. Trent Edwards is also in this mold, but he has a good running game, average defense, overrated special teams, and mediocre coaching. That's going to lead to 7-9 seasons.

Cleve
09-30-2009, 05:43 PM
Boy, I could care less about Mauron's background - he could have hatched from an egg planted by space aliens for all I care.

I just want him gone.