PDA

View Full Version : Eric Moulds had this to say...

Tatonka
05-26-2003, 09:59 PM
i found this info from Mouldsrocks on the other board, but i wanted to share it.

Eric Moulds Comments
re-run of HS's show...

he said:

-Josh Reed has taken both nate Clements and Antoine Winfield deep this year in camp and has gotten faster

-He has beeen working hard this year learning new schemes and plays because Gildride plans on using him more effectiveley this year by throwing him in the slot and/or putting him in motion so defenses don't have the chance to focus on him. (last year he lined up on teh left or right and that was that) He said to watch for him to be used more like Terrell Ownes is in SF and they'll try to get similar matchups that he does vs LB's and NCB's, SS's etc.

-He said this years defense is the fastest defense he has ever been around as a Buffalo Bill! Look for them to use their speed to get to the QB and confuse opposing offense into turnovers.

Cntrygal
05-26-2003, 10:10 PM
:pray:

:bravo:

The Natrix
05-27-2003, 12:26 AM
Nice find T!

mypoorfriendme
05-27-2003, 12:52 AM
the team report kinda scared me from espn, but when players have as much confidence as moulds does. it helps a lot to excuse the exerts opinion. wow i cant wait til the season starts. we'll see how good we are.

sTp Scott
05-27-2003, 01:01 AM
I hope we can put these things into play and all will be well in B-Lo

baalworship
05-27-2003, 09:33 AM
Thanks Tatonka for the update. I am one of the biggest Josh Reed fans out there. I still remember spilling beer when he fell to us in the draft. I was hosting a draft party out in Tucson and there were TONS of Bills fans at my house. Reed was my favorite college player that year but I assumed he would go to Denver or Green Bay in the 1st. Reed will be HUGE this year when he gets more looks.

As for Gilbride being more creative with Moulds, FINALLY! I've watched how SF finds ways to get the ball to Owens with ZERO help from the other SF scrub receivers and wondered why we weren't as creative with Moulds.

Country Gal- Hey! I went to bed before you posted a greeting on the other thread. Loving this board so far.

WG
05-27-2003, 10:00 AM
I fully agree w/ ya bw!!!

Someone started a thread about Glenn, but heck, G.B. could have taken Reed. They were stuck w/ Glenn. It's amazing that Reed fell to us in the 2nd.

I agree, I think the guy's gonna be huge and an eventual #1 in this league based on what we saw last season. Bob Matthews criticized him b/c he faded down the stretch. Well, so did Price's and Moulds' production too, and heck, Bledsoe faded more than all of them DTS. Yet that didn't seem to matter.

I think the Moulds/Reed tandem is gonna be the most effective in the NFL this year and moreso than the Moulds/Price tandem was. Not in yards hopefully, but in effectiveness. I don't think anyone's hopin' that we put up the football anywhere near what we did last year, which necessarily means there wouldn't be the accompanying yards. But that doesn't mean that the overall effectiveness of a player/team cannot increase. I'm hopin' that Drew finally, after 10 seasons, irons out his "issues" as well on fewer yards and that KG has the sense to put Drew in more of a support role than of a "centerpiece" role.

If not, I'm figurin' ~ 8-8 or 9-7 again. If Drew puts up the ball more than 500 times, then I'll predict that it costs us 5 or 6 games on that merit alone.

Anyway, much of Reed's performance will be predicated on how well Drew plays. If all we do is try to go deep again early and often, then Reed's numbers will suffer. If we try to spread the ball around and go short/OTM more, then Reed will have a killer year.

imbondz
05-27-2003, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by Tatonka
i found this info from Mouldsrocks on the other board, but i wanted to share it.

Eric Moulds Comments
re-run of HS's show...

he said:

-He said this years defense is the fastest defense he has ever been around as a Buffalo Bill! Look for them to use their speed to get to the QB and confuse opposing offense into turnovers.

great find T. even faster than the '99 defense? that's awe-some that he said that.

WG
05-27-2003, 10:34 AM
We still don't have a championship caliber pass rush however!

And, "the fastest defense...", we'll see. Other than Spikes and Posey, I don't really see much of a difference from last year to this. And if for any reason at all, Posey doesn't match up to the hype, which he'll essentially have to be playing the best football of his career to do, then the delta between this year and last will essentially be Spikes. B/c Adams sure doesn't bring a ton of speed to the unit.

After Spikes, Adams, and Posey, there are no other "speedsters" new to the team, and as pointed out, Adams isn't, and Posey is a "wait and see."

So to make a statement such as that, and while I appreciate the optimism, is typical preseason/TC talk IMO. We hear that same stuff year in and year out. Then the season begins where we really find out. Just b/c they're players, doesn't mean they're always right. Their job is to encourage each other along w/ the media and fans.

I'll say there will be a notable difference in the speed of the unit bigtime if Jones is 100% capable of playing at the very level that he was when he got hurt. Barring that, the speed of the OL and secondary will be the same with only our OLBs making the change where one side is still questionable IMO.

colin
05-27-2003, 11:13 AM
Moulds is a freaking pro's pro, an outstanding player who gets better and is a better leader every year. If he says it, I buy it.

Eric would ***** slap those armchair fools at ESPNever got any prediction right.

Tatonka
05-27-2003, 12:00 PM
the players have to believe to be a superbowl team.. and it sounds like moulds believes..

reminds me of that shirt he was wearing at training camp last year.

WG
05-27-2003, 12:08 PM
Of course they have to believe. But I'll wager anyone dollars to donuts that if we go back and find quotes by our top players each year as to how well they think the team and certain players are going to do, then we'd be able to prove them the fools too.

Like I said and as T reiterates, they need to have these notions and attitudes for their own good and the good of the team. You may hear it from the coaches or media, but how many times have you heard a player say "yeah, w/o someone who can play the end we're gonna have a tough time." It never happens, at least not that way.

Just b/c Moulds says it, doesn't mean it's true. Heck, a lot of the players said they believed in RJ. That and a buck will get you a cup of coffee, eh. If I'm not mistaken, Moulds was even one of those saying positive things about RJ.

justasportsfan
05-27-2003, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by Wys Guy

Just b/c Moulds says it, doesn't mean it's true. Heck, a lot of the players said they believed in RJ. That and a buck will get you a cup of coffee, eh. If I'm not mistaken, Moulds was even one of those saying positive things about RJ.

BUt if wys says it, it must be true :snicker: Wys was more optimistic with the 2001 bills than this year. :scratch:

Captain gameboy
05-27-2003, 02:02 PM
I think Moulds is becoming a very special asset.
I hope Reed's success in minis wasn't because Clements and Winfield got slower.
Though I'm sure we'll miss Prices gamebreaking speed, we sure won't miss his run support blocking.

WG
05-27-2003, 02:06 PM
Even if Reed turns out to be only average, it'll have to do. Very few teams have a WR like Moulds, coupled w/ an RB like Henry, and a very solid OL such as we do. Even if it's a given that Reed is only average, which I don't see happening, then it has to be plenty for Drew to work with. If the only way that our offense can function w/ Drew under center is for us to have two premier WRs, an all-pro RB, and an OL that features 3+ probowlers, then it's time to look for another QB, not another WR.

Drew, even if Reed doesn't play at all, will have more tools than 80% of the teams in this league.

Doc
05-27-2003, 06:56 PM
Does anyone remember the playoff game against the Dols in 1999 (1998 season) when they put Moulds in the slot and he amassed the largest number of yards ever in the playoffs? I was wondering when they'd do that again, and lo and behold it looks like they will. I also hope that they use the K-gun (3 WR's, 1 HB, and a TE or FB) a lot because Henry, and ANY RB really, is much more effective in a spread offense. If you notice, all the guys on offense at the "skill positions" can both block and catch, unlike Price and Riemersma who could only catch.

As for Reed, he could duplicate Price's numbers IF the Bills were to throw as much as they did (and HAD to) last year. However an improved defense will help that and lead to lower numbers for all the WR's, but as Wys said, a probable increase in efficiency. WRT Reed fading down the stretch last year, it's called predicatability on offense (which is what hurt the offense, Bledsoe namely) and the "rookie wall," and he didn't fade any more than any of the other rookie WR's taken ahead of him.

Last of all, the Bills gained speed in Spikes, Posey, Reese, Sidney, and Kelsay, compared to their counterparts last year. As for Big Sam, his purpose is NOT to wow you with his speed, but to plug up the middle and stop the run.

justasportsfan
05-27-2003, 07:10 PM
D will give our O better field position. I still worry about ST though.

Michael82
05-28-2003, 02:29 PM
Moulds Believes....Do You? :D

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/avatar.php?userid=115&dateline=1028228805

Michael82
05-28-2003, 03:21 PM
http://www.wcmf.com/data/gallery_images/73_mouldshirt.jpg

Kicker22705
05-28-2003, 08:57 PM
Man its great hearing good things from the players for a change.

Remember w/ Pendry and Sheppard, when moulds used to say the cornerbacks used to tell him what pattern he was going to run before he even ran it b/c they were so predictable. And how moulds would switch possitions w/ Price just so Price would have a ball thrown his way. Damn, they've come a long way! We hear a lot of crap on Gilbrideg, but he's head and shoulders above Pendry and Sheppard.

Cntrygal
05-28-2003, 09:35 PM
Mikey... I'm still waiting for that T-Shirt!

TedMock
05-29-2003, 08:58 AM
There's no reason for Reed to put up those numbers. I think he'll be great but not 94/1100 great. But, that's a good thing. Balance, balance, balance. Henry is an excellent power back and Gary is an excellent backup. Gash is an excellent lead blocker. With all this, Drew and Mould should be able to stretch the field a couple times a game and the play action should be in full effect with Reed running accross the middle a la Andre. There will be no need for 400 yard passing games and even Bledsoe said he's fine with that. Hell, he'd have to average 250/game to get to 4000 and 187.5 to get to 3000. I'll take 250 and 2 TD's any day. I think he can still put these numbers up but on a much more consistant basis if we establish a nice balanced attack. No more 400, 130, 350, 120 with a lot of "forces". The D will be better as will the O. There are no excuses left for the coaches. And yes, I'm still on board with GW. He wasn't given much to work with but the players NEVER quit on him which is huge. This year the pieces are in place.

Michael82
05-29-2003, 06:05 PM
Me too, Cntrygal! :D

HenryRules
05-30-2003, 09:53 PM
Doc, I disagree that Henry (and especially disagree that all RBs) are better in spread offences. Some are (i.e. Antowain Smith and Thurman Thomas being local examples, Barry Sanders being another one), but there's a lot of RBs that are much more effective running behind a nice blocking back and a TE - Emmitt Smith being a great example.

From what I've seen of Henry, I think he, like Emmitt, is much better running behind a solid blocking back. Henry can read his blocks quite well and having that extra blocker makes him that much harder to stop. And if the D brings in an extra guy in the box to deal with the blocker, that's when we do a playaction and get single coverage on Moulds and Reed with Bledsoe passing.

With our offensive lineup, I really don't think we should go to a spread offense that much at all ... the play action isn't as effective IMO with a spread and that's where Bledsoe is most effective.

Doc
05-30-2003, 10:56 PM
I'm just going by last year's production by Henry, HR. He gained most of his yards in the spread offense. Now that's not to say he couldn't do well with a FB in front of him, but as I said, I think the spread allows for more flexibility and less of a tip-off to the opponent as to what type of play it will be.

DATGUY52
05-30-2003, 11:40 PM
Ain't it nice to see that it can work BOTH ways?????!!!