PDA

View Full Version : Can we stop calling maybin a bust

BillsOwnAll
09-30-2009, 08:15 PM
Ive read in numerous post about maybin being on the bench.

Hes a rookie..its week 4. Theres not much to argue. Let him learn the game. Theres more to the pro game then the college game. People just cant come in and make an impact. Schobels making plays and kelsays not playing half bad.

stop calling someone a bust after 3 weeks. Give people a chance gosh:blowup: :blowup: :blowup: :blowup: .

IAG
09-30-2009, 08:17 PM
Talk about not having patience with a player, eh...

BillsOwnAll
09-30-2009, 08:20 PM
Talk about not having patience with a player, eh...

this bored has some pessimist..which i understand but some people just straight up love to hate.

Yasgur's Farm
09-30-2009, 08:21 PM
The only people calling Maybin a bust are those with alternative motives.

Like...

1) I wanted the Bills to draft fill in the blank.
2) I just like to *****!

PECKERWOOD
09-30-2009, 08:55 PM
He isn't a bust, but he isn't a well rounded DE at this point.

OpIv37
09-30-2009, 09:20 PM
I agree that it's too soon to be calling him a bust, especially since Kelsay, Denney and Schobel have all exceeded expectations so far, which makes it difficult for him to see the field.

But, seriously, who are all these people saying he's a bust?

Nighthawk
09-30-2009, 09:23 PM
He's not a bust and I'm not one to call any rookie a bust when they haven't even played a full season in the NFL! Give him time...

DMBcrew36
09-30-2009, 09:24 PM
Mario Williams only had 4.5 sacks in his rookie season with sky high expectations.

I won't have a problem throwing a label on Maybin after week 8 of next year, though.

PECKERWOOD
09-30-2009, 09:34 PM
Mario Williams only had 4.5 sacks in his rookie season with sky high expectations.

I won't have a problem throwing a label on Maybin after week 8 of next year, though.

That's true, but the transition doesn't happen at the snap of a finger. I'd slowly like to see Maybin add more moves, in particular a bull rush would really make him an excellent DE.

Ginger Vitis
09-30-2009, 09:50 PM
But, seriously, who are all these people saying he's a bust?

HHurricane

DMBcrew36
09-30-2009, 09:52 PM
That's true, but the transition doesn't happen at the snap of a finger. I'd slowly like to see Maybin add more moves, in particular a bull rush would really make him an excellent DE.

Well, that's basically what I'm saying, in a nutshell. I except to see vast improvement by week 8 of the 2010 season, or half-way through the 2010 season. Until then, I don't intend on judging him too bluntly.

TigerJ
09-30-2009, 10:05 PM
Frankly, there's not a whole lot of point in talking about him. Rookie defensive ends, even high overall draft picks, rarely are productive. If he surprises on the plus side, I'll be pleased, but a lack of production as a rookie is no kind of prognosis on what kind of career he'll have.

Marvelous
10-01-2009, 04:37 AM
huh? what? Did i miss something?
--I am surprised that anyone would call Maybin a bust after 3 games in his 1st season. LMAO!
-and if so, then why would anyone take said posters comments seriously anyways? Kinda like my biggest frustration here @ The Zone and in regards to Bills fans in general--- Fans who label a player as crappy-crap, and he should be cut asap,,waste o' money etc. All because these points of view demand only two outcomes.
1- The said player is not a star player w/ recognition.
-and 2- The said player isn't going to evolve/progress into a star player.

-We all loved Fina & Phil Hansen and they we're just capable starters. They weren't pro bowl bound, but we're respected by us & players alike etc..Identical situations w/ Kelsay & Brad Butler. Both are hard working and respected by OBD & most/some fans, but they aren't Pro bowlers and in Kelsays sake, will not evolve/progress into a pro bowler. But he like Butler can give us a few games a year where they shine. L;ike Kelsay shined against New Orleans.
-We need players like these to balance out the roster..
----In Maybins case IMO he is gonna take a couple seasons to be elite. But when he does, look-out! We could have a hybrid kind of DE. Not same type, but the way Jason Taylor was a hybrid type DE for Miami back in the early 2000's. fast,super elite speed, sure tackling, and could almost force fumbles at will. I call him hybrid because although Schobel is a beast too and Schobel, not JT leads the NFL in Tom Brady sacks, well Schobel is a typical prototype stud RE.. Ima thinking & hoping that Maybin evolves into a epsecial player who stands oput like JT @ DE & the way Shaun Merrian did in his 1st few seaosns @ OLB.
----Patience, anyone getting annoyed or finding their patience tested/maxed should recall or remind themse;lves that we drafted him knowing how green/raw he is/was...I'm sure Texan fans are patient wil Okeye(sp) that super athletic, high 1st round pick with all that agility etc. I think he's only 21 & will take time..
--A argument for the haters should be "why did we draft a project when instead of defined rookie"..I'm A-ok w/ the patience.....

X-Era
10-01-2009, 05:45 AM
Personally, I have not used the word "bust" when referring to him.

What I will say is that I have not seen much indication that he will be able to get through or around the NFL caliper OLmen. He is consistently locked up in blocks and dominated at the line.

What I think needs to happen is that he should be moved to OLB and used like Merriman. I know thats an issue in the 4-3, but they should have thought about that when the drafted an undersized DE.

djjimkelly
10-01-2009, 07:12 AM
He isn't a bust, but he isn't a well rounded DE at this point.

maybe the next GM and HC will make him into a OLB in the 3-4

HHURRICANE
10-01-2009, 07:17 AM
I said he's been non-existant. The Bills don't have the luxury of letting 1st round picks just sit on the bench.

That was my point.

HHURRICANE
10-01-2009, 07:19 AM
I said he's been non-existant. The Bills don't have the luxury of letting 1st round picks just sit on the bench.

That was my point.

I don't think I called him a bust but I still hate the pick.

ddaryl
10-01-2009, 07:39 AM
He's going to need the offseason to bulk up and build muscle, but this is to be expected when you draft a sophmore

Luisito23
10-01-2009, 07:48 AM
Please tell me when is a rookie ever referred to as a "bust"?

Jan Reimers
10-01-2009, 08:22 AM
Please tell me when is a rookie ever referred to as a "bust"?
Here. Quite often, in relation to our highly drafted rookies who are not superstars by midseason.

trapezeus
10-01-2009, 08:50 AM
i have no issue with maybin, but stop me if you heard this one, "the bills take a luxury player when there were more need players available on the board. they took a guy who won't see much time early and needs to be coached to get onto the field."

Not that we thought this team was anywhere close to winning now, but it'd be nice if maybin could be like wood and levitre...players who are getting valuable experience in a dud season so that next year that position is solidified once and for all.

Syderick
10-01-2009, 01:58 PM
If we didn't get a DE, many would be complaining that the Bills didn't draft a need. Here's the stats of the first 5 DE's drafted so far:

Aaron Maybin 1 Tackle
Brian Orakpo 6 Tackles 1 Sack
Robert Ayers 1 Tackle
Everette Brown 1 Tackle
Connor Barwin 2 Tackles