PDA

View Full Version : ray of hope for the week

trapezeus
10-01-2009, 10:10 AM
"They did some different things that we've made adjustments to and have answers for now," Van Pelt said of the Saints. "Down the road, we'll not have those issues."

Well that's refreshing a team that can learn from past games. it's quite a departure from the Jauron led theory of keep jamming a round peg into a square hole and hope for different results.

hopefully we see the bills be more successful this week. and this is the type of thinking a good team needs.

Pinkerton Security
10-01-2009, 10:13 AM
yeah lets see if he can actually adapt tho

psubills62
10-01-2009, 10:13 AM
When did he say that?

That's very good to hear. Honestly, we never made adjustments to the looks we got last year, especially against the 3-4 defense. If AVP did in fact make adjustments, I'm excited to see them.

DMBcrew36
10-01-2009, 10:15 AM
Link?

If he did say that, it is quite a resounding response to Sunday's performance. He seems quite confident - hopefully not overly confident.

LtFinFan66
10-01-2009, 10:16 AM
so basically when you play the Saints again, you will be ready for them. That's what I personally got from that quote:idunno:

trapezeus
10-01-2009, 10:17 AM
i assume he said it yesterday. that was a quote in a buffalonews.com (http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/813335.html)article.

that's a sign of progress if they can make changes. like you said, last year it was so frustrating to see them get in 3rd and short, and then run the exact same run to the left off tackle and get stuffed every time.

if AVP can bring a radically different gameplan to miami, that'll be some good news. Also, i think if the bills get into a slow battle with the dolphins we lose. if we come out and put up points fast and make it hard for the dolphins to patiently churn the yards and clock, they'll lose. so the Offense, more than ever, need to come out and score TDs in their first couple of drives.

Pinkerton Security
10-01-2009, 10:21 AM
so basically when you play the Saints again, you will be ready for them. That's what I personally got from that quote:idunno:

i think he was saying when we play the Saints in the super bowl, we're gonna kick some a**!!!!:rockon:

Philagape
10-01-2009, 10:24 AM
I'll believe it when I see it

trapezeus
10-01-2009, 10:29 AM
skeptisim is deserved for this team....but it is a big departure...just on principle. Now we have to see if they can execute that.

I still think this team with it's 500yards rushing from jackson, is set up for a chance to kill a team on a flea flicker. You have the run being very good. last week, it was moving the ball. we just got into a lot of 1st and 20's, 2nd and 15's from penalties. So we able to get lb's and such pinching in...plus, we have blitzes coming for pass plays.

Add to this that Owens is getting criticized for not running all his routes, don't you think his DB will drop off him and support the run at TO's lollygagging? That means when it gets flipped back, TO will be all alone.

Meathead
10-01-2009, 10:29 AM
avp is going to be a heck of a oc - in a couple years. hes a smart guy and im sure he will do well over the long haul

but in terms of winning now this isnt all that encouraging

if you have no answers at home against an average defense to the tune of scoring ZERO points just because they threw something at you, then ticking off one of the possible jazillion things they can throw at you isnt very reassuring

now, once youve assembled a whole bunch of these adjustments, NOW youre talking about an adaptable offense

avp is smart and a fast learner. its still gonna take a couple years for him to crank through enough scenarios to make him a feared coordinator. and for now we get to watch how many different ways defenses can grind our offense to a halt

ralph - hire shanny or gruden or some other grey haired offensive whiz to be our 'consultant', ala dick lebeau before he went to zburg

psubills62
10-01-2009, 10:30 AM

Yeah, because no two teams ever give the same looks...

Maybe he meant they would be ready for as much blitzing as the Saints did. They also gave a 3-4 look, which I'm sure the Bills weren't expecting. So now if teams start doing similar things (i.e. looking at the tape of the Saints game and using that against Buffalo), then they'll know what to do.

That's what I got out of it.

chernobylwraiths
10-01-2009, 10:55 AM
Do people seriously think that the Bills DIDN'T try to make adjustments when things weren't going right in the past? I'm positive they tried to make adjustments, it's just that the adjustments stunk. What I think our coaching has had it's biggest problems with is when the other team makes it's adjustments, we are slow to adjust to them.

mybills
10-01-2009, 10:55 AM
Maybe he meant they would be ready for as much blitzing as the Saints did.
He knows what it means, he's just being a fish fan.

psubills62
10-01-2009, 10:57 AM
He knows what it means, he's just being a fish fan.

Yeah, I take things too literally sometimes...and I just have to respond haha.

justasportsfan
10-01-2009, 11:04 AM
problem is we're not playing the saints for another year or so. I hope the O doesn't come up with the same excuse against the fins. We heard that same excuse last year from Trent.

Yasgur's Farm
10-01-2009, 11:15 AM
so basically when you play the Saints again, you will be ready for them. That's what I personally got from that quote:idunno:You don't think other teams (Dolphins included) go to school on the film? You're smarter than that.

Typ0
10-01-2009, 11:20 AM
I'm sick of hearing about adjustments that are being made too late. I'm even more sick about hearing teams are baffling us because they aren't doing what we expect them to do. We're far too reactive and need game plans that do the job and put us in a position to win without having to be a good matchup against what the other team is trying to do.

Typ0
10-01-2009, 11:21 AM
You don't think other teams (Dolphins included) go to school on the film? You're smarter than that.

I took it exactly the way he did! Now they are ready for something that will never happen again. Makes me really confident!

BoyILuvLoznStupidly
10-01-2009, 11:22 AM
Do people seriously think that the Bills DIDN'T try to make adjustments when things weren't going right in the past? I'm positive they tried to make adjustments, it's just that the adjustments stunk. What I think our coaching has had it's biggest problems with is when the other team makes it's adjustments, we are slow to adjust to them.

I agree, they seem to have no answer when teams make adjustments and can't figure out the 3-4 defense.

madness
10-01-2009, 11:31 AM
You don't think other teams (Dolphins included) go to school on the film? You're smarter than that.
Out of all the weeks to say that to a phin fan, this wasn't one. Shame on you.

:squish:

trapezeus
10-01-2009, 11:59 AM
the dolphins are going to follow the saints model defensively. stuff they see that worked will be there. we better have an answer for it. whether it comes in the second half or the next game, it has to come.

As some of the posters have said, it's still a young season. i'm expecting the worst, but i also want a win. that requires making adjustments. They are going to have to hold TE accountable for the 15-25 yard passes. they are going to have to be like, "throw an dINT or two, but move the ball down the field and score some TDs."

raphael120
10-01-2009, 03:25 PM
"They did some different things that we've made adjustments to and have answers for now," Van Pelt said of the Saints. "Down the road, we'll not have those issues."

BUULLLL SH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!T

Having answers for problems 4 days after the fact isn't going to help you.

BoyILuvLoznStupidly
10-01-2009, 03:30 PM

Agree

ddaryl
10-01-2009, 03:38 PM
Someone needs to remind him that those types of things need to be in place on gameday. Anyone can go back and make adjustments AFTER THE FACT.

HHURRICANE
10-01-2009, 09:45 PM
In other words, we got outcoached.

yordad
10-01-2009, 10:14 PM
If it was so easily correctable, why didn't he do it at halftime. Or, previous to the game even starting.

TigerJ
10-01-2009, 10:14 PM
I think that comment is a positive, but it does raise an interesting question. How many different looks can opposing defenses throw at us until AVP and Trent have seen it all and can react successfully to it during the game? It doesn't do a whole lot of good to boil it all down after the game and know what you could have done to counter the other team's schemes. It underscores the value of experience. That's not necessarily a complaint about Trent and AVP, both of whom are pretty inexperienced at their jobs, but how long before teams can no longer throw stuff at them that they have never seen before and have no idea how to counter?

psubills62
10-01-2009, 10:23 PM

I'm kind of amazed at all the people who agree with this.

Are you kidding? Do you not remember what happened last year? Let's see...our offense came across a 3-4 defense that showed some looks and week after week we got shut down with those same looks. No adjustments were made, no corrections were made, nothing.

Remember the Giants against the 2007 Patriots in the SB? They specifically said they modeled their gameplan after the way Cleveland played New England's offense earlier in the year. So if the Patriots had made adjustments to become better against those looks (it was their worst game up to that point), then they may have won the Super Bowl.

You can't tell me that making adjustments now is worthless. The more they're prepared for, the better this offense should be.

LtFinFan66
10-02-2009, 01:15 AM
He knows what it means, he's just being a fish fan.please don't speak for me...thank you.

don137
10-02-2009, 06:11 AM
Let me preface this by saying so far I like what I am seeing in AVP and think he has the potential to be a great offensive coordinator. However, this just shows his lack of experience. A good experienced coaching staff sees what the other team is doing and makes in game adjustments and not adjustments after looking at the game film and saying next time we know what to do. Have you ever heard any good respected coaching staff say that stuff?
Are we going to hear the same thing next week after the Dolphins game?

trapezeus
10-14-2009, 11:09 AM
well i figured i'd bump this...remember how AVP said he had answers to the saints problems? Looks like he doesn't at all. Just another OC lying to us about having answers.

justasportsfan
10-14-2009, 11:18 AM
we didn't play the saints.

madness
10-14-2009, 11:27 AM
With the OL you're damned if you do, damned if you don't. You can't give your QB enough time as it is and if you go mass protect you're giving the defense only 2-3 options to cover. Factor in drive killing penalties and it's a big mess. The only thing that's going to fix this offense is discipline and experience and they have neither.

Mr. Pink
10-14-2009, 12:50 PM
Cleveland doesn't do anything. They suck. How you are not ready for the most vanilla 3-4 scheme in the league is baffling.

This isn't a ray of hope.

It's more of the same old impending doom, that's become the norm.

trapezeus
10-14-2009, 12:53 PM
funtimes that was a ray of hope after the Saints game. AVP said he was fixing the things that didn't work there. now two weeks later, we have an offense that got worse.

Mr. Pink
10-14-2009, 12:55 PM
funtimes that was a ray of hope after the Saints game. AVP said he was fixing the things that didn't work there. now two weeks later, we have an offense that got worse.

I don't read so good sumtimes!

Sorry!

I thought it was based on this week not the Saints...my bad.