PDA

View Full Version : Buffalo Bills 1st round picks from 2000-current

trapezeus
10-01-2009, 01:33 PM
We don't go anywhere, because we draft so poorly.

2000- Erik Flowers....played football from 2000-2005...then joined toronto argonaunts for 1 year in 2006

2001 - Nate clements....played well, but we didn't keep him. a long history of having top talent DB's but choosing not to keep them.

2002 - Mike Williams....out of football from 2007-09..

2003 - Willis McGahee...has a documented bad work ethic after making the NFL. Baltimore fans hate him too.

2004 - lee evans - hardly a star as he lets double coverage be his excuse, but he also just doesn't get thrown to. So we potentially have a star but haven't matched him up with the right guy.
jp losman - another guy who was out of the league in 5 years and then played in a second hand league

2005 - No pick because of JP...our first pick was roscoe parrish...Another guy who will be jonesing for 5 years at the NFL to play in an inferior league

2006 - Whitner - Average at best
McCargo - mildly capable of tying his own shoes....at best

2007 - Marshawn - a stud for the most part. we have to see how he comes back from his suspension. As a whole that 2007 draft class was very good. lots of contributors....on a deeper team, that draft would have stabilized a team for a handful of years.

2008 - Leodis Mckelvin - ok so far. Probably not utilized properly. fumbled the new england game. Also fun fact about the 2007 draft class. this weekend only Reggie corner will have any serious playing time . Leodis, hardy and Ellis won't even be dressed. Bowen was cut, Omon wasn't given mroe than 3 carries in 3 weeks as the number 2 back, bell is injured and steve johnson continues to sit as we let roscoe make a mockery of the NFL. That's a hell of a draft class.

2009 - Maybin...a known project. probably not suited to our defense. too early to comment, but for a team that needed a starter now, maybin wasn't going to help early.
Wood....a known day 1 starter. Has played very well on the whole but played poorly like a rookie is apt to do in his rookie season.

Any other team struggle like this with their first round picks? I challenge you to find one. A handful of guys who were out of the league in 5 years....

zone
10-01-2009, 01:37 PM
look at the Steelers last few first rounders and tell me why they won the Super Bowl last year.

ddaryl
10-01-2009, 01:41 PM
I think we are in the process of righting the draft ship, and that started in 2007.

but yeah the 6 drafts before 2007 pretty much put us in extended rebuild mode outside of Nate and Evans

but you've already pointed out the issues with those 2

Pinkerton Security
10-01-2009, 01:50 PM
i dont have time to break it down but i would pretty much guarantee that da raidas have struggled just as badly, if not worse...

gallery - sucks, badly. wouldnt start for most teams
jamarcus - terrrrrrible, had a decent end to last year but seems to have digressed since then - still early but doesnt look promising at all
mcfadden - might not even has as much of an impact as michael bush, a 5th rounder - still too early to tell tho

I cant say i disagree with your assessments of the other players though and that is just sad. To have that many guys not pan out or lose them altogether is just not good. This is why I hate picking 7th to 15th in the draft...we miss out on the studs too, and when we do have a top 5 pick we choose Mike Williams...ouch

trapezeus
10-01-2009, 01:52 PM
steelers have a winning tradition. They had a stable coaching tree. Plug and play....they also aren't a team of superstars. they happen to play well as a team. since i don't know the pittsburgh team, you look at the names of their picks and few pop out as studs...but they play well as a team. i don't know a lot of their defense, but they're good.

don137
10-01-2009, 01:57 PM
I am startng to wonder abouy Evans though. When he is actually thrown the ball he rarely makes the tough catches in tight coverage and he rarely breaks free from the defender. He seems to be a guy you just throw deep because he can outrun the coverage and hope the ball is thrown accurately. What has he done the last couple of seasons to think he is a top 20 receiver in this league? I know some blame goes to the QB but look at the better receivers in this league they make the catch no matter who throws them the ball.

trapezeus
10-01-2009, 02:05 PM
even Evans, you look at the guys who have some level of talent and don't have bust written on them, we had such crap coaching that you couldnt get more out of Evans, you couldn't get more out of Mcgahee, you can't get more out of whitner.

That's why the issues with the Bills start at the top. If you look at each draft class, there is a DB an OT and a RB that aren't with us the following year. How can you have guys who can't even be depth?

And something is wrong when we have scouting to find Jason Peters and Jim Leonard types, but can't keep them on the team. We get good guys and chose not to keep them and get bad players and keep them too long.

so you have an owner who can't get a FO GM team together. that's on him
then the FO comes in with bad picks that can't play more than a couple years...that's on them. they resign bad players, resign bad coaches.
then you get coaches, who get outcoached, that's on them
then you get players who get injured or don't make the next step...and that's on them'

each group has their share of the blame. however, a good coach can push the players further. if a dud like jauron could get them to 7-9, i think a better coach could take this inferior talent to the playoffs. if you get a better FO team in then maybe a second rate coach could succeed because the talent is so good. but without either piece, the puzzle for the playoffs can't be solved.

BillsOwnAll
10-01-2009, 02:20 PM
look at the Steelers last few first rounders and tell me why they won the Super Bowl last year.
was this sarcastic?

Rothlesberger holmes polmumlu(sp) All first round picks.

trapezeus
10-01-2009, 02:22 PM
i think his point is the rest of the drafts don't really have any NAME players...but i am guessing the contribute to their essentially no name defense (pomalamu exception) that does well and with the exception of Roethlisberger, there aren't many names other names on offense. the running back is a middle of the pack stud. the receivers are known in ward and holmes...but that's it.

Yet they win games. So would i take a draft class of no names who can contribute and stay in the winning system for a bunch of years and get pushed by more talented people from the next draft class...yep. i would.

Pinkerton Security
10-01-2009, 02:54 PM

2000- plaxico
2001- casey hampton
2002- kendall simmons (randle-el in the 2nd, larry foote in the 4th)
2003- polamalu
2004- big ben
2005- heath miller
2006- santonio holmes
2007- lawrence timmons (plus woodley in the 2nd round)

thats RIDICULOUS. they pretty much havent missed on a first round prospect since 1999 (troy edwards).

BillsOwnAll
10-01-2009, 02:54 PM
i think his point is the rest of the drafts don't really have any NAME players...but i am guessing the contribute to their essentially no name defense (pomalamu exception) that does well and with the exception of Roethlisberger, there aren't many names other names on offense. the running back is a middle of the pack stud. the receivers are known in ward and holmes...but that's it.

Yet they win games. So would i take a draft class of no names who can contribute and stay in the winning system for a bunch of years and get pushed by more talented people from the next draft class...yep. i would.

I dont get how pittsburghs 1st round picks are no names?

Rothelgbier is a star

Holmes is a star

Heth millers one of the best TE in the NFL

Troy P.. enough said.

Kendall simmoons

Alex faneca

Plaxico burress

Some arent with the team still but how can you say Pitt doesnt draft big names in the first round.

trapezeus
10-01-2009, 03:08 PM
i meant that their drafts in their entirety doesn't show stars. their first round picks are solid and immediate contributors. i agree. i just meant that they probably get a lot of depth players from their 4-7 round picks...where we just jettison our guys. then we attempt to poach players off of other's teams practice squads. that's a bad way to run a team.

BillsOwnAll
10-01-2009, 03:12 PM
i meant that their drafts in their entirety doesn't show stars. their first round picks are solid and immediate contributors. i agree. i just meant that they probably get a lot of depth players from their 4-7 round picks...where we just jettison our guys. then we attempt to poach players off of other's teams practice squads. that's a bad way to run a team.You could say that about any super bowl team. Any team that is good for more then a year drafts well. Its just common knowledge. Every team that sucks year in year out doesnt draft well.

trapezeus
10-01-2009, 03:18 PM
that was the entire point of the thread. thanks.

raphael120
10-01-2009, 03:21 PM
2000- plaxico
2001- casey hampton
2002- kendall simmons (randle-el in the 2nd, larry foote in the 4th)
2003- polamalu
2004- big ben
2005- heath miller
2006- santonio holmes
2007- lawrence timmons (plus woodley in the 2nd round)

thats RIDICULOUS. they pretty much havent missed on a first round prospect since 1999 (troy edwards).

and theyre very good at keeping their own good players.

we're good about overpaying our mediocre players, therefore ensuring mediocrity for many more seasons to come!

PECKERWOOD
10-01-2009, 03:23 PM
New England has arguably had a worst 1st round track record than Buffalo, but I agree we could use some improvement in the scouting & coaching department. :up:

BillsOwnAll
10-01-2009, 03:23 PM
that was the entire point of the thread. thanks.
But if you read the title of this thread it says "FIRST ROUND PICKS" and your talking about building depth in the draft. So the point was about first round picks, not the whole draft.

THANKS.