PDA

View Full Version : Jim Kelly on the play calling

northernbillfan
10-02-2009, 08:53 AM
Great read this morning at bb.com:

It was a tough loss this past week and I know the guys on offense were disappointed with their lack of production. Bills fans want to see Lee Evans and Terrell Owens more involved through the course of a game and I understand that sentiment.

I do think that utilizing them is something that has to be done better. Coach Jauron even said this week that they’ve got to get T.O. more involved, and Alex (Van Pelt) to his credit said he’s determined to come up with better answers to accomplish that.

The point to be made here however, is it’s not that their number is not being called. I’m confident that Alex (Van Pelt) is calling plays for Lee (Evans) and T.O. . There are times where the offense walks up to the line of scrimmage and their number is called and Trent (Edwards) has to get out of a play because Lee or T.O. is double teamed.

So I’m willing to believe that their numbers are being called more often than most observers might think. Trent has the freedom to audible out of plays if they’re not beneficial to the offense, and he has gotten them into some better plays through the first three games.

Full article (http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-3/Kellys-Call-Playmakers-and-young-QBs/0607037e-b002-4826-b0a4-5fc633b47a94)

madness
10-02-2009, 10:08 AM
After seeing the Saints have success with 40 pressures on 65 offensive plays by Buffalo last week, you’ve got to believe that Miami will try some similar things with their pressure packages.

:jawdrop: We need some max protect schemes, stat!

I bet Porter is dying to be out on the field this week.

The Juice Is Loose
10-02-2009, 11:14 AM
i wish kelly would put up or shut up. yeah yeah he was the man, my hero as a kid.

get in the organization and do something to help or move on. i can break down a game too. its on tape. how about go to practice and explain some **** to trent.

its not like he'd need to be here 60 hours a week. i'm not being crass but his daughter ought to be grown up and hunter is passed, so what does he do with all of his time?

get in here and coach trent. bring your nephew and coach him too.

i'm sick of reading his opinion.

Typ0
10-02-2009, 11:18 AM
You might get your wish after RW kicks off.

i wish kelly would put up or shut up. yeah yeah he was the man, my hero as a kid.

get in the organization and do something to help or move on. i can break down a game too. its on tape. how about go to practice and explain some **** to trent.

its not like he'd need to be here 60 hours a week. i'm not being crass but his daughter ought to be grown up and hunter is passed, so what does he do with all of his time?

get in here and coach trent. bring your nephew and coach him too.

i'm sick of reading his opinion.

BuffaloRanger
10-02-2009, 11:21 AM
He can't really do it if he's not invited/welcome.

And are they going to pay him for his time?

ddaryl
10-02-2009, 11:22 AM
TO and /or Evans will always be doubled team / have coverage slide over to them... Trent has to be a great enough QB to get them the ball in between these tight coverages

No IFS ANDS OR BUTS about it. We cannot ignore our playmaker WR's because the coverage is slid over to take the out... that's why we are in a funk

Anyone beleive Larry Fitzgerald is not being doubled and tripled... yet he makes plays anyways.. or any other teams great WR's why do the Bills with 2 rock solid WR's still fail to get them the ball

or do we need 2 new wr's ???

mchurchfie
10-02-2009, 11:29 AM
I wonder how many deep plays "Mr Conservative" Trent checked out of last week?

justasportsfan
10-02-2009, 11:33 AM
I wonder how many deep plays "Mr Conservative" Trent checked out of last week?
the 4th and 23 was the worse. I'm sure AVP didn't call for that :limp: checkdown.

PECKERWOOD
10-02-2009, 12:01 PM
the 4th and 23 was the worse. I'm sure AVP didn't call for that :limp: checkdown.

It would help if we had another reciever who was actually halfway competent. Josh Reed can't get open with TO & Lee getting doubled, what's up with that? Neither can Parrish? What's up with that? Why isn't Steve Johnson getting reps as the slot reciever, WHAT'S UP WITH THAT??!

trapezeus
10-02-2009, 12:06 PM

probably, but what plays do the other 31 teams have for 4th and 23? the game was over. the time to be bold was at 4th and 1. 4th and 23 and going for it just smacked of bubbling idiots not knowing how to please the already highly agitated crowd.

justasportsfan
10-02-2009, 12:07 PM
It would help if we had another reciever who was actually halfway competent. Josh Reed can't get open with TO & Lee getting doubled, what's up with that? Neither can Parrish? What's up with that? Why isn't Steve Johnson getting reps as the slot reciever, WHAT'S UP WITH THAT??!

Puhlease. Evans and TO in the past have been proven to be competent and Reed has been open especially on 3rd downs. He's been the most clutch on 3rd downs.

I'm not arguing about Parrish. Even if we had Parrish,TO,Evans,Reed and Stevie on the field at the same time, nothing is gonna happen if Trent refuses to throw the ball and make his wr's make a play downfield. He'll most likely throw it to the wr who's open 5 yards down or end up throwing to Fine.

trapezeus
10-02-2009, 12:09 PM

i don't know why you hate reed so much.he's the only guy to catch a mid range ball all season. He is trent's go to guy on third down and he comes up with the catch 9times out of 10.

I agree, parrish needs to use his speed and get out of town. They need steve johnson in there. i think alot of us fans are tired of seeing decent players on the wings and then hearing that someone else is better. Only to be shown a few years later that that prospect was indeed the better player. It happened with A Train vs Fred Jackson, it happened with Trent vs. JP, it happened with greer two years ago...iforget who we wanted him to take over for, but he was great in coverage.

The coaches are so f'in stupid about pushing players to be better and coddle these young players. Throw them out there in a dud season and see what we got. We're doing that with the OL and at least next year we know we have a solid interior line and don't have to waste bad FA signings and late round picks to address the interior part of the line.

mchurchfie
10-02-2009, 12:10 PM
That so epitomizes what TE is really about. He's just a robot going through his reads. No freelancing or taking a chance. Throw it downfield dumbass, you might draw an interference call. What did he have to lose anyways??

justasportsfan
10-02-2009, 12:22 PM
Throw it downfield dumbass, you might draw an interference call. What did he have to lose anyways??
an incompletion or INT that will hurt his stats?

Commissioner
10-02-2009, 01:43 PM

I don't think it's the receivers. The Giants and Jets don't have the same caliber receivers and they are doing fine.

I'm sure Boldin and Fitzgerald both get double teamed.

Something else is up with the offense.... we can't just keep complaining about a lack of talent.

Dr. Pepper
10-02-2009, 02:26 PM
probably, but what plays do the other 31 teams have for 4th and 23? the game was over. the time to be bold was at 4th and 1. 4th and 23 and going for it just smacked of bubbling idiots not knowing how to please the already highly agitated crowd.

regardless, it was fourth and 23.... not fourth and 1. you take a shot down the field. you look for a seam and try to rifle it in. or, you can take a cue from your coach and give up, dumping it off to a RB.

Michael82
10-02-2009, 05:16 PM
I don't think it's the receivers. The Giants and Jets don't have the same caliber receivers and they are doing fine.

I'm sure Boldin and Fitzgerald both get double teamed.

Something else is up with the offense.... we can't just keep complaining about a lack of talent.

unless the lack of the talent is at the quarterback position...

justasportsfan
10-02-2009, 09:21 PM
probably, but what plays do the other 31 teams have for 4th and 23? a hail mary.

the game was over. the time to be bold was at 4th and 1. 4th and 23 and going for it just smacked of bubbling idiots not knowing how to please the already highly agitated crowd.

Are you implying our qb is a quitter? Well you're right. That play proved that.

PECKERWOOD
10-02-2009, 09:27 PM
Josh Reed should not be in the NFL, nor should Parrish be.

BertSquirtgum
10-02-2009, 11:23 PM
josh reed should be playing but roscoe parrish blows and should be in the stands watching.

Michael82
10-03-2009, 09:11 AM

That's a load of ****! Josh Reed is one of the most underrated players on the team. If he was on a good team, he would be another Hines Ward. He's great at blocking and he's clutch on 3rd downs.

Luisito23
10-03-2009, 07:40 PM
I wish Kelly was our owner, coach, and GM...

Nighthawk
10-03-2009, 07:54 PM
That's a load of ****! Josh Reed is one of the most underrated players on the team. If he was on a good team, he would be another Hines Ward. He's great at blocking and he's clutch on 3rd downs.

Although I agree he is better then some on these boards seem to think he is, I think you're going a little overboard on him being another Hines Ward...he's nowhere near as good as Hines Ward.

OpIv37
10-03-2009, 07:58 PM

I was a Reed hater for a long time but I've come around on him. All he does is block and catch first downs. The guy is a solid #3 receiver. The problem is that the Bills tried so hard to make him into a #2 and he just isn't good enough for that role. But that's not his fault.

Parrish, on the other hand, has no business being on the team. Parrish is a terrible WR. He runs sloppy routes and can't get separation, even with his blazing speed. On punt returns, he can be excellent, but he tends to make really bad decisions and spend too much time running sideline to sideline. If he had better vision and could learn when to dance and when to just put his head down and take what's there, he'd be a great punt returner. But it's his 5th year in the league- if he hasn't learned by now, he ain't gonna.

Luisito23
10-03-2009, 07:59 PM
Ward is clearly a #1 receiver, and at best Reed is a 3rd...Although many take him for granted, he is a good player, nothing special, but as dependable as they come.