PDA

View Full Version : Do Or Die For Edwards

JediMindPowers
10-03-2009, 03:45 PM
I believe, and this is my opinion only, that if Edwards puts up a real stinker in Miami he should be benched.

Not only that, but Jauron should probably get fired. Although, he most likely won't.

I don't know how Edwards will do, I hope he does well. I really do, but I think its asking way too much for a player to be someone he is not (a gunslinger) in so short a time.

Edwards is at the point now where Losman was a few years back - in do or die games that would mean the end of his playing time as a starter should even screw up once.

Lets face it, Edwards is being setup to fail. But you know, thats the reality and so goes life in the NFL.

Edwards is finished in Buffalo as a starting QB if the Bills lose big because of the offense.

YardRat
10-03-2009, 04:00 PM
IMO Edwards has a few 'safety blankets' before the onus is placed on his shoulders...young and inexperienced offensive line, young and inexperienced OC, etc.

OpIv37
10-03-2009, 04:06 PM
While I think Edwards is a huge reason for this team's struggles, I think the reasons far transcend Edwards and I don't think Fitzy would be any better.

Crisis
10-03-2009, 06:23 PM
i feel bad for trent, goes from stanford to buffalo....surprised he's not in a wheelchair by now.

Luisito23
10-03-2009, 07:10 PM
How is "Edwards set to fail"? There is talent on this offense, maybe we're not the Saints, but we're not the Bucs either. I place blame on Trent, and him alone. I've just about gave up on him, and I know Fitz is not the answer, but I mean how could he possibly do worst?

OpIv37
10-03-2009, 07:19 PM
How is "Edwards set to fail"? There is talent on this offense, maybe we're not the Saints, but we're not the Bucs either. I place blame on Trent, and him alone. I've just about gave up on him, and I know Fitz is not the answer, but I mean how could he possibly do worst?

How is Edwards set to fail?

Let's see....
Loss of Pro Bowl LT
New player at every position on the OL (plus injuries now)
New OC TEN DAYS before the season starts
WR who causes trouble when he doesn't get the ball
Best RB suspended for 3 games

The O has talent at the skill positions but there is no evidence of talent on the OL.

So, Edwards is in a really difficult position.

All that being said, this is probably ALWAYS going to be the situation in Buffalo, or at least for the foreseeable future. So we need a QB who can perform in these conditions. If its' not Edwards, so be it.

Luisito23
10-03-2009, 07:23 PM
Trust me OP it's not Edwards, I've seen enough to know that he's without a doubt not the future for this team, and I don't care if he throws for multiple TD's tomorrow I'll still be saying the same thing.

yordad
10-03-2009, 07:25 PM
Edwards is literally at the same exact point in games started as JP was when Wilfork hit him and effectively ended his career.

Michael82
10-03-2009, 08:07 PM
I've never been a huge Edwards fan, but I will give him the whole season before I run him over with the bus. I feel he is a main reason why the offense is struggling and I also feel that his style of play is not suited for this team and these weapons. I'm waiting for him to look like a top 10 QB and have 300 yards passing, but I'm not holding my breath. Either way...unless things drastically change, I'm hoping for Colt McCoy or Sam Bradford to help us start fresh and hopefully find ourselves a real QB for a change.

trapezeus
10-03-2009, 10:41 PM
this year is a dud. it's something we knew at the outset....they were not suppose to do anything. so give edwards the full year. or else we'll have trent fans saying the same thing hte JP fans said...."he was ruined." 3 years, you have to keep showing improvement. if he doesn't learn this 3-4 defense and make intermediate range throws, it's over for him.

he'll be a great, outstanding back up, but he won't be for us because he won't take the demotion.

it sounds like other OC's said they've called in plays for hot receivers to be in the intermediate range and no one is getting open or the ball ain't there.

Just give him the year.

Crisis
10-04-2009, 02:09 AM
colt mccoy blows. another 3 year setback for this team if we draft him.

BoyILuvLoznStupidly
10-04-2009, 02:40 AM
I think it should be do or die for Jauron, not Edwards. Jauron can't get this team to overcome adversity in a game, not to mention most of the decisions he makes.

Prov401
10-04-2009, 03:07 AM
I am on the fence with Edwards. Some QB's come in the NFL and just get it (Brady, Roethlisberger, Marino, Favre). For others it took a year (Manning, Aikman). One that sticks out big time to me is a QB who looked like he rounded out the top 20 at his position for his first three years. He didn't live up to expectations, and was given the three year QB evaluation, as most rookie starting QB's get. So that franchise drafted another young QB, who is working out well for their team since starting. Anyway, I'm talking about Drew Brees. Brees looked like a Jake Plummer. He just wasn't elite, but he could win some games. Then out of nowhere, he just got it. Today he is top 3. I think Trent needs consistancy around him. I think he needs GOOD coaching. He needs a steady O-Line that he can trust. I do not believe this game today will be the deciding factor on whether or not Trent rides the pine. Trent has the tools, and the smarts. He just needs to trust his passes, and personnel. He needs to not worry about making mistakes. I'm not giving up on him quite yet.

YoungEz
10-04-2009, 03:08 AM
How is it do or die? If Edwards does terrible who replaces him? Lol seriously this is a joke you cant say fitz unless you have not watched him play. He is terrible and for Hamden is he anything but a 3rd string coach?

If we had Jeff Garcia as a back up it would be one thing to say Edwards is in trouble but we aren't cleveland either with Quinn/Anderson.

We have Edwards and that is it, he can suck it up and he will continue to start only way he sits is if he gets injured.

YoungEz
10-04-2009, 03:14 AM
I am on the fence with Edwards. Some QB's come in the NFL and just get it (Brady, Roethlisberger, Marino, Favre). For others it took a year (Manning, Aikman). One that sticks out big time to me is a QB who looked like he rounded out the top 20 at his position for his first three years. He didn't live up to expectations, and was given the three year QB evaluation, as most rookie starting QB's get. So that franchise drafted another young QB, who is working out well for their team since starting. Anyway, I'm talking about Drew Brees. Brees looked like a Jake Plummer. He just wasn't elite, but he could win some games. Then out of nowhere, he just got it. Today he is top 3. I think Trent needs consistancy around him. I think he needs GOOD coaching. He needs a steady O-Line that he can trust. I do not believe this game today will be the deciding factor on whether or not Trent rides the pine. Trent has the tools, and the smarts. He just needs to trust his passes, and personnel. He needs to not worry about making mistakes. I'm not giving up on him quite yet.

I am sorry but this is just jibberish. Nothing you said here is true or makes any sense to anyone who watched or actually knows how these players have played through out there career.

I could go through every QB you named here and rebuttle what you said with actual truth but I dont have the time, I am sick of reading ignorant posts and having to point out the truth.

I understand the general point you are trying to make and ya it is a pretty valid one but you went about it all wrong especially with the QB's you talked about

mybills
10-04-2009, 06:48 AM
I believe, and this is my opinion only, that if Edwards puts up a real stinker in Miami he should be benched.

Not only that, but Jauron should probably get fired. Although, he most likely won't.

I don't know how Edwards will do, I hope he does well. I really do, but I think its asking way too much for a player to be someone he is not (a gunslinger) in so short a time.

Edwards is at the point now where Losman was a few years back - in do or die games that would mean the end of his playing time as a starter should even screw up once.

Lets face it, Edwards is being setup to fail. But you know, thats the reality and so goes life in the NFL.

Edwards is finished in Buffalo as a starting QB if the Bills lose big because of the offense.
I just rep'd you back to green because I think you're half right. I don't think he should be benched over it, but Miami is the team for him to open it up against. The lack of skills at DB ought to allow Lee & TO some deep plays, but he's got to get it to them more than 1 or 2 times. I also think that he's had more of a break than JP at this point, just on the fact that he has AVP calling the plays. I can just imagine how many TD bombs JP would be throwing under AVP right now. I think there would be about 30 between Lee & TO by now. :ill:

Novacane
10-04-2009, 08:10 AM
You don't bench him for Fitz. I think Trents gonna fail but give him the season since Fitz ain't gonna be any better . I've seen enough to conclude he's not going to be a winner. I hear the excuses but don't buy them. He dumps the short pass off even when he does have time.

BillsOwnAll
10-04-2009, 08:21 AM
Why would you bench edwards? Who would you put in there? Even If hes nots the real deal who are you going to put in? Fitz? Yes because hes proven and will lead the team! what a jokee people should think before posting.

HHURRICANE
10-04-2009, 08:25 AM

If Edwards gets pummeled because the line isn't blocking how would that be his fault?

I think Edwards, as I have said numerous times, is not the problem. We weren't beating the Saints with Peyton Manning as our QB.

Mahdi
10-04-2009, 08:35 AM
How is Edwards set to fail?

Let's see....
Loss of Pro Bowl LT
New player at every position on the OL (plus injuries now)
New OC TEN DAYS before the season starts
WR who causes trouble when he doesn't get the ball
Best RB suspended for 3 games

The O has talent at the skill positions but there is no evidence of talent on the OL.

So, Edwards is in a really difficult position.

All that being said, this is probably ALWAYS going to be the situation in Buffalo, or at least for the foreseeable future. So we need a QB who can perform in these conditions. If its' not Edwards, so be it.
You cant give the OL excuse just because they are young and inexperienced. We all watch the games and we know that the OL despite their youth have been better in run blocking than any line we have had in the last 5 years and they have also been decent in pass protection.

Trent has had time to throw so lets not act as if he has been killed behind the OL.

Trent IS NOT making plays, plain and simple.

IMO, Fitzpatrick could do a better job. He came in to the preseason games throwing very well and wasn't afraid to throw into tight areas to LESSER receivers.

HHURRICANE
10-04-2009, 08:45 AM
IMO, Fitzpatrick could do a better job. He came in to the preseason games throwing very well and wasn't afraid to throw into tight areas to LESSER receivers.

Wow, this is the dumbest thing I've read here.

Why don't we trade for Brady Quinn while we are at it.

The o-line is a pretty big part of throwing deep.

Night Train
10-04-2009, 08:50 AM
Trent has had time to throw so lets not act as if he has been killed behind the OL.

Trent IS NOT making plays, plain and simple.

:bf1: Finally, an opinion without rose colored glasses.

Edwards is not the long term answer. He's checking off far too early on many plays which could yield a big gain, especially early in games where the protection is very good.

HHURRICANE
10-04-2009, 08:54 AM
:bf1: Finally, an opinion without rose colored glasses.

Edwards is not the long term answer. He's checking off far too early on many plays which could yield a big gain, especially early in games where the protection is very good.

You obviously don't watch other NFL games. I watch enough QB play to realize that up til now Edwards is not the problem.

I'm not ready to annoit Edwards as the franchise QB yet but to say he's not the QB up to this point is ridiculous.

HHURRICANE
10-04-2009, 08:56 AM
Everybody wants the quick fix around here. Another QB would be 3-0 here right?

Building a chamionship roster starts with the lines and goes from there. How many pro-bowlers do we have on this team?

BillsOwnAll
10-04-2009, 08:59 AM
Your saying because fitz did good in preseason hes better? Preseaon doesnt count!!!!! Obviously hes going to try to be a hero! Are you kidding me. And with the lesser reciers out there they were also less DEs rushing lesss Secondary. You guys crack me up.

Owen DeBoard
10-04-2009, 09:03 AM
Everybody wants the quick fix around here. Another QB would be 3-0 here right?

Building a chamionship roster starts with the lines and goes from there. How many pro-bowlers do we have on this team?
I cant agrue with you about the comment on the lines but when you have two, not just one, number one receivers you have no excuse not to get them the ball. Look at Big Ben last year he was one of the most sacked qbs in the league and they still won a championship last year. It all comes down to making a big play when you have the chances, and Edwards has had plenty of chances this year. This line hasnt blocked all that bad for him. Edwards just needs to start making plays and by doing that you get the ball to your best players on the field no matter what it takes.

Yasgur's Farm
10-04-2009, 09:06 AM
Your saying because fitz did good in preseason hes better? Preseaon doesnt count!!!!! Obviously hes going to try to be a hero! Are you kidding me. And with the lesser reciers out there they were also less DEs rushing lesss Secondary. You guys crack me up.
At least Fitz won't tuck his dick and play in a skirt... MAN... We Bills fans can at least have our dignity by ditching the skirts!

Typ0
10-04-2009, 11:09 AM
TE needs to be given the opportunity to work through the issues he's having. If he doesn't do that it's time to move on to the next failure.

Mahdi
10-04-2009, 12:05 PM
Wow, this is the dumbest thing I've read here.

Why don't we trade for Brady Quinn while we are at it.

The o-line is a pretty big part of throwing deep.
This just show you have no clue what you are talking about.

The problem is not Trent not throwing deep. Its that Trent is not throwing intermediate, not threatening the middle and deep middle of the field.

You can run an offense without throwing 40 and 50 yard bombs, you cannot run an offense without threatening the intermediate ares behind the LBs and in front of the safeties.

In preaseason Fitz was able to make the intermediate throws and get his WRs involved in the game.

Trent has not.

DraftBoy
10-04-2009, 12:11 PM
You obviously don't watch other NFL games. I watch enough QB play to realize that up til now Edwards is not the problem.

I'm not ready to annoit Edwards as the franchise QB yet but to say he's not the QB up to this point is ridiculous.

Do us all a favor then and watch Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Donovan McNabb, Matt Ryan, and Joe Flacco a little bit. They all utilize all parts of the field, work numerous targets and throw short, long, and intermediate.

trapezeus
10-04-2009, 01:11 PM
i think TE81 to hard was right. The poster who disagreed didn't put up much an answer as to why he was wrong. it's true, Eli manning and aikman did struggle in the front end, but were champions and never have to deal with their past chasing them. Brees was in the process of being pushed out when he got it in sandiego. and then san diego had a very hard choice.

for Edwards, the biggest problem on this team is the coaching. jauron needs to go. He coddles edwards. a different coach will say, "look you can dump down all you want and if it works fine, but if the game is on the line and you aren't getting any meaninful yards, you must look for other receivers. you're job is on the line."

i've seen some very good things from edwards....but i need to see more. at this point it is become concerning that turk and AVP are essentially on the record saying they've called up better plays. but the team, wherever the blame should fall is undetermined, but they can not figure out 3-4 and all our division uses it