PDA

View Full Version : Different year, team looks the same!

Nighthawk
10-03-2009, 08:52 PM
Sorry, but I saw nothing tonight that showed me that this team is any different then in the past. Still soft, still do not skate and still seem lazy on the puck. Here's to another long season!

Ebenezer
10-03-2009, 08:56 PM
come on night...there are more "hitters" on the team...fans should be head over heals in love.

as I keep saying...goal scorers. give me 12 skaters that score 20 goals a season and I'll show you a team going deep in the playoffs.

SabreEleven
10-03-2009, 08:57 PM
come on night...there are more "hitters" on the team...fans should be head over heals in love.

as I keep saying...goal scorers. give me 12 skaters that score 20 goals a season and I'll show you a team going deep in the playoffs.

yes, in love with a mediocre team...the history of Buffalo sports.

Nighthawk
10-03-2009, 08:59 PM

I'm not saying they didn't add Grier for his grit, but this team looks exactly the same. They don't handle the puck well when pressured, they give the puck up WAY too much and they don't skate hard into the corners to get pucks. They need to get rid of a few of the players who promote this type of play. Until that time, this team will continue to look the same. I wasn't impressed at all....except for Tyler's play...he looked pretty good and I was impressed for his first game.

SabreEleven
10-03-2009, 09:10 PM
Played pretty good in the first period, coasted the rest of the game...That was the same game plan last year too.

Nighthawk
10-03-2009, 09:13 PM
Played pretty good in the first period, coasted the rest of the game...That was the same game plan last year too.

That's what I'm saying...they may have a couple new actors in this movie, but it seems to have the same script. I don't know, I was hoping to see a different attitude from some of the softer players and I didn't see it. Being soft doesn't mean just not fighting, it means that a player refuses to win that battle in the corner or finish a check or fight for the puck and be strong on the puck. I didn't see any of that...very frustrating.

Michael82
10-03-2009, 10:30 PM
I don't know about you, but I love what I saw from Tyler Myers! He's a very good defensemen and something we have been lacking for a while, some size!

Michael82
10-03-2009, 10:31 PM
My negative though....Mike Grier looks extremely slow on the ice. :ill:

Dr. Lecter
10-03-2009, 10:47 PM
They were the opposite of soft tonight. But they could not finish.

But soft? Not even close.

And I am not sure, but I don't think the season is over.

Nighthawk
10-03-2009, 11:13 PM
They were the opposite of soft tonight. But they could not finish.

But soft? Not even close.

And I am not sure, but I don't think the season is over.

Soft doesn't mean they weren't tough...soft means they weren't strong on the puck, didn't go hard in the corners for loose pucks and didn't make plays when pressured. The same offenders are still here...Roy, Vanek, Hecht, Pominville...these four were brutal tonight. How many turnovers did these four have? Watching other teams makes it more blatently obvious that these guys are not the players you want as your core. I hope I'm wrong, but this game looked exactly like what we've watched for the past few years.

And yes Mikey...I liked what I saw from Myers and even Kennedy...he showed some chippyness that this team sorely lacks. I did not like what I saw from the players who have been here...hopefully it changes, but we've been waiting for that forever, why should I believe it's going to change this season?

qcsabresfan84
10-03-2009, 11:26 PM
While I do agree with you on the effort in the corners and along the boards during the last two periods, I do disagree with you on Hecht tonight. I was pretty impressed with his effort. He seemed to be skating pretty hard after loose pucks and was good on the forecheck. That being said I also think he is grossly overpaid for his ability-level.

Nighthawk
10-03-2009, 11:31 PM
While I do agree with you on the effort in the corners and along the boards during the last two periods, I do disagree with you on Hecht tonight. I was pretty impressed with his effort. He seemed to be skating pretty hard after loose pucks and was good on the forecheck. That being said I also think he is grossly overpaid for his ability-level.

I've seen him play worse, but he still is afraid to hit anybody and you would've thought he would come out and try to prove the detractors wrong? That says a lot about his mentality to me and I'm worried we are in for a repeat of his effort from last year.

Meathead
10-04-2009, 01:42 AM
oh no they outshot their opponent 2:1 and couldnt bury more than one when their opponent got two ugly goals and stole a win

that never happens in the nhl! the season is over

SabreEleven
10-04-2009, 06:54 AM
oh no they outshot their opponent 2:1 and couldnt bury more than one when their opponent got two ugly goals and stole a win

This happened most of the year last year also...When is it going to change?

Nighthawk
10-04-2009, 09:51 AM
This happened most of year to them last year also...When is it going to change?

You beat me to it...it being early in the season doesn't mean that people have to wear their blinders because they don't actually want to see what is happening out there.

OpIv37
10-04-2009, 02:30 PM
I'm not saying they didn't add Grier for his grit, but this team looks exactly the same. They don't handle the puck well when pressured, they give the puck up WAY too much and they don't skate hard into the corners to get pucks. They need to get rid of a few of the players who promote this type of play. Until that time, this team will continue to look the same. I wasn't impressed at all....except for Tyler's play...he looked pretty good and I was impressed for his first game.

More importantly, they didn't put together a complete game. They dominated the first period then tried to coast on it through the 2nd and 3rd. This is the same **** they pulled last year- they either had a great 1st then coasted, or had a great 3rd but still lost because they were down by 2 or 3 going in after playing like crap through the 1st and 2nd. They STILL can't put a complete game together.

In particular, the PP got WORSE as the game went on. The last PP was just embarrassing.

tampabay25690
10-05-2009, 02:20 PM
My negative though....Mike Grier looks extremely slow on the ice. :ill:

Always has

Dr. Lecter
10-05-2009, 02:24 PM
He looks slower and clumsy too.

Ebenezer
10-05-2009, 02:31 PM
score more goals....I'll say it a 1,000,000 times...score 3 or 4 goals a game and I don't ever need to see anybody hit a guy again...ever.

Philagape
10-05-2009, 02:59 PM

If the team put in a more complete effort over the course of the game, they wouldn't be in a position to lose because of ugly goals.
If a game is stolen, that means it wasn't properly secured.

SabreEleven
10-05-2009, 03:39 PM
score more goals....I'll say it a 1,000,000 times...score 3 or 4 goals a game and I don't ever need to see anybody hit a guy again...ever.

Easier said than done.

JD
04-06-2010, 10:01 PM

How about 15 players with at least 20 points?

Ebenezer
04-06-2010, 10:05 PM
How about 15 players with at least 20 points?
seems to have worked.

JD
04-06-2010, 10:09 PM
seems to have worked.
I'm going to assume we're amongst maybe 3 teams with that stat? Probably Washington, NJ and SJ..